Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:38 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 104  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:14 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9988
henry wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
henry wrote:
Quote:
Naturally


Come now. A man of your advanced years and declining swing speed will require some assistance.


I have a feeling we are of similar age or thereabouts... I am not in the pensioners group with OS and Gareth!


Balls.

I am 32. And a half. I had you down as a Jrpy-esque geriatric. Offence intended.


Ah so you are just out of nappies or maybe still potty training in your case, your "banter" is now easily explained.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 25251
Lorthern Nights wrote:
henry wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
henry wrote:
Quote:
Naturally


Come now. A man of your advanced years and declining swing speed will require some assistance.


I have a feeling we are of similar age or thereabouts... I am not in the pensioners group with OS and Gareth!


Balls.

I am 32. And a half. I had you down as a Jrpy-esque geriatric. Offence intended.


Ah so you are just out of nappies or maybe still potty training in your case, your "banter" is now easily explained.


I had no idea you were such a Sensitive Susan.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1000
Toga wrote:
I recently bought, via Ebay, a T-Zoid forged (steel) driver. I did this because I have had a T-Zoid forged (steel) 3-wood for years and it is my favourite club, I can hit it nearly 300yds off the tee. Both clubs are not titanium or massively oversized, in fact the new driver really does feel quite heavy, especially when compared to the titanium Taylor Made Burner driver that I have used with varying degrees of success. Anyhow, I got to use the new (used) steel driver at the weekend and it is just so much better for me than the huge headed but lighter titanium club, goes straighter and goes further, it just feels like a slightly bigger version of my favoured 3-Wood. The shaft is also a stiff carbon Mizuno which is new for me as I usually prefer metal shafts - I think my swing is slowing down as I get older.

I might take a bit more seriously this year.


300 yards with a no name 3 wood :?

Either you're as honest about your ball carry as you are about the length of your dick, or you're playing with a blatantly illegal club.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1000
What's the consensus on graphite shafts in irons?

I need a new set soon, and was looking at the new Callaway Razr irons which look sexy as fudge. The club pro told me they're selling shitloads of them, and that they are hugely popular with graphite shafts.

I always thought graphite was for women and old men, but apparently many low handicappers are now choosing them.

Tempting


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1544
--DD-- wrote:
What's the consensus on graphite shafts in irons?

I need a new set soon, and was looking at the new Callaway Razr irons which look sexy as fudge. The club pro told me they're selling shitloads of them, and that they are hugely popular with graphite shafts.

I always thought graphite was for women and old men, but apparently many low handicappers are now choosing them.

Tempting

They'd look lovely with your belly putter.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1000
Don't be jealous because you can't afford them ePaddy.

Apparently the extra power/torque from graphites can add up to ten yards per club, and the latest generation don't suffer from the same lack of feel or control that previous ranges did.

Sounds like a winner to me :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5935
Location: Middle of the Lothians
--DD-- wrote:
What's the consensus on graphite shafts in irons?

I need a new set soon, and was looking at the new Callaway Razr irons which look sexy as fudge. The club pro told me they're selling shitloads of them, and that they are hugely popular with graphite shafts.

I always thought graphite was for women and old men, but apparently many low handicappers are now choosing them.

Tempting



You were right. Graphite shafts cannot cope with the swing speed and head weight of any iron used by anyone other than OAP's and women!!

I was unfortunate enough to get landed with a hire set for a game in Spain, and my playing partner suggested that it looked like I was trying to play golf with a rubber hose.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 197
--DD-- wrote:
Toga wrote:
I recently bought, via Ebay, a T-Zoid forged (steel) driver. I did this because I have had a T-Zoid forged (steel) 3-wood for years and it is my favourite club, I can hit it nearly 300yds off the tee. Both clubs are not titanium or massively oversized, in fact the new driver really does feel quite heavy, especially when compared to the titanium Taylor Made Burner driver that I have used with varying degrees of success. Anyhow, I got to use the new (used) steel driver at the weekend and it is just so much better for me than the huge headed but lighter titanium club, goes straighter and goes further, it just feels like a slightly bigger version of my favoured 3-Wood. The shaft is also a stiff carbon Mizuno which is new for me as I usually prefer metal shafts - I think my swing is slowing down as I get older.

I might take a bit more seriously this year.


300 yards with a no name 3 wood :?

Either you're as honest about your ball carry as you are about the length of your dick, or you're playing with a blatantly illegal club.




Mizuno is hardly a no-name manufacturer of golf clubs.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:28 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9988
A successful weekend for me, my opposition in the club matchplay tourney pulled out and gave me a bye, so through to the next round without a ball even being struck in anger. :)

Took the opportunity to get a tune up from the club pro as my iron play has been gash so far this season, needless to say during the warm up, i was striking my 6 iron as sweet as i can be, pro then says not much wrong with that but gave me a couple of things to work on, on my quest to get an ever lower handicap.

The weather is shocking though, thank fudge i am at a links course as all the inland courses are buggered with all this water.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4443
Location: Front and centre.
I played the Celtic Manor Ryder Cup course on Friday; managed to hack my way to 20 points and won a free round on one of the other courses there on a par three challenge. What a beautiful course, we were lucky with the weather and - considering the footfall they must see - it was in pristine condition. Long though, too many 450+yd par fours for my liking. The whole experience was quality, I had Corey Pavin's locker. It'll be a while before I get to play a course that good again... :(


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:37 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9988
Raised a smile from me but expect pelters for posting it here, ah well:

Quote:
A Priest, a Doctor, a rich Businessman and a Scotsman were waiting one morning for a particularly slow group of golfers in front of them.

The Doctor shouted to them, I've never seen such poor golf!"

The Scotsman chimed in, Och aye! We ha' been waitin' for nigh on fifteen minutes!"

The Businessman called out, Move it on you guys, time is money."

The Priest said, Here comes George the green-keeper. Let's have a word with him."

"Hello, George!" said the Priest, "What's wrong with that annoying group ahead of us? They're rather slow, aren't they?"

George the green-keeper replied, Oh, yes.. That's a group of blind fire fighters. They lost their sight saving our clubhouse from a fire last year, so we always let them play for free, anytime they want to."

The group fell into an embarrassed silence for a moment.

Then the Priest said,
"That's so sad. I think I will say a special prayer for them tonight."

The Doctor said,
"Good idea. I'm going to contact my ophthalmologist colleagues and see if there's anything they can do for them."

The Businessman replied,
"I think I'll donate £350,000 to the Fire Brigade Benevolent Fund in honour of these brave souls."

And the Scotsman said,
"Why kin they no play at night?



Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 617
Apparently this was in the Locker room at Worplesden Golf club

Several men are in the locker room of a golf club. A mobile phone on a bench rings and a man engages the hands free speaker function and begins to talk. Everyone else in the room stops to listen.
MAN: 'Hello'
WOMAN: 'Honey, it's me. Are you at the club?'

MAN: 'Yes'
WOMAN: 'I am at the shops now and found this beautiful leather coat. It's only 1,000 pounds. Is it OK if I buy it?'
MAN: 'Sure, go ahead if you like it that much.'
WOMAN: 'I also stopped by the Mercedes dealership and saw the new 2012 models. I saw one I really liked.'
MAN: 'How much?'
WOMAN: '90,000 pounds'
MAN: 'OK, but for that price I want it with all the options.'
WOMAN: 'Great! Oh, and one more thing...the house I wanted last year is back on the market. They're asking 2.950,000 pounds
MAN: 'Well, then go ahead and give them an offer of 2,850,000 pounds They will probably take it. If not, we can go the extra 100 thousand if it's really the house you want.'

WOMAN: 'OK. I'll see you later! I love you so much!'

MAN: 'Bye! I love you too.'
The man hangs up. The other men in the locker room are staring at him in astonishment, mouths agape.

He turns and asks: 'Anyone know who this phone belongs to?'


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:15 pm
Posts: 188
My first round since October is on friday in a charity stableford off 3/4's. fudge


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 617
36 holes at Walton Heath tomorrow
weather forecast not too bad

22 of us 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 617
Gareth1960 wrote:
36 holes at Walton Heath tomorrow
weather forecast not too bad

22 of us 8)



21 f**king points :? :? :x

I couldnt get anything right all morning.
A liquid lunch and I then played magnificently in the afternoon


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:45 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7086
Played Baltray today they have played the Irish open there twice in last 10 years - have not played too many links great course- played quite well had 7 pars but twice took 3 shots to get out Pot bunkers on the fairway :blush:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 124
Location: Dublin
Luckycharmer wrote:
Played Baltray today they have played the Irish open there twice in last 10 years - have not played too many links great course- played quite well had 7 pars but twice took 3 shots to get out Pot bunkers on the fairway :blush:

One of my favourite courses, got to caddy there in a few East of Ireland Championships, class course. The sand dunes almost make the fairways look like runways, not seen in many links courses.
How much were the green fees?

I sold my golf clubs 2 days ago, horrible feeling.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:44 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9988
Spring Meeting tomorrow and got a match on sunday in the matchplay comp. Would love to say i am feeling confident about my game but it is just not there at the moment, all in all it's a bit frustrating going to hit the range at lunch today to see if i can sort out some consistency which is usually my strength and putting etc my weakness, it has been role reversal so far this season though.

If i can get my tee to green stuff sorted back to where it was last year, i reckon i can do a lot of damage to my handicap.


Last edited by Lorthern Nights on Fri May 11, 2012 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 23356
Gareth1960 wrote:
35 points in stableford yesterday.
including 3 blobs :uhoh:

OS
I gather RH is at Worplesden
we must have a game soon!



Yup - I oiled his passage (if you get my drift!!) :lol: :lol:

Indeed lets tee summat up.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 25251
Playing Ashburnham and Southerndown at the end of this month. Should be easy....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 617
henry wrote:
Playing Ashburnham and Southerndown at the end of this month. Should be easy....


never played Ashburnham although my late uncle david used to be the secretary
I love Southerndown , have played it twice on admitedly benign days.
it would be a beast in a wind

Meanwhile , conditions are irrelevent to my game as I am just shit regardless

25 points and then nett 87 in the spring meeting.
I havn't played such dross since the week before at Walton Heath

Im off to majorca this weekend for a tour so hopefully it will be better there.
I play better pissed


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:38 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9988
Gareth1960 wrote:
henry wrote:
Playing Ashburnham and Southerndown at the end of this month. Should be easy....


never played Ashburnham although my late uncle david used to be the secretary
I love Southerndown , have played it twice on admitedly benign days.
it would be a beast in a wind

Meanwhile , conditions are irrelevent to my game as I am just shit regardless

25 points and then nett 87 in the spring meeting.
I havn't played such dross since the week before at Walton Heath

Im off to majorca this weekend for a tour so hopefully it will be better there.
I play better pissed


NR for me in our spring meeting :blush: My golf is f**king gash at the moment and i followed that fantastic round by getting thumped in my matchplay match, lost 6&5 :blush: :blush:

TBF he was playing unbelievably well in the conditions and was a jammy bastard a couple of times as well but i am just not in a happy place with my golf at the mo'. My driving is back though, putting was shite but it is more my aproach play that is killing me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:20 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9988
Yay what a difference a week makes, actually came down by a whopping 0.2 :shock:

34 points in the stableford, in blustery conditions (to say the least). Pretty happy with my round over all.


Has anyone got any any experience in teaching their kids? I am about to start 2 of mine, great deal at the club as they are under 12 it is only £20 each per year. Happy days, so it is more the equipment to start them with, Young Guns seem to the brand has anyone started their nippers with this set or are they crap?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 617
Just back from Majorcan Tour

Played Son Vida Golf yesterday which was magnificent
18 points out and 8 back though playing off 7

average score of 26 per day which ws good enough for me to come third out of 15 :shock:
Got into gatwick at 6pm to find passport control full and under siege.
In fairness we were through in 30 minutes

now need some sleep


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 124
Location: Dublin
I'm going to the US Open in the Olympic Club.

Anyone ever been?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5935
Location: Middle of the Lothians
Played Musselburgh in my first game of golf after 8 months out with my back injury. Topped first two drives about 100 yards and thought "oh fudge". Recovered to shoot 77 (+5) despite leaving 5 putts on the front lip. Never played it before and its a monster so well pleased!! 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 25251
f**king disgraced myself.

Played Ashburnham in benign conditions and still only managed 28 points. The most embarrassing bit is that I actually played well for 12 holes but forgot how to swing a club for 6 around the turn and managed 5 successive blobs.

We abandoned Southerndown in the end (thank fudge) and played Bowood Park. Where my golf was even worse. This time, I forgot how to play for 12 holes and played decently for six. Wracked up a mighty 20 points. Off eight :blush:

However, did manage one impressive, albeit fortuitous, shot. Almost managed to drive the 390yd par-four 17th. Thought I'd pulled my drive massively but it carried the corner and was 10 yards off the front edge. With another decent drive up the last, I almost feel like playing again.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15
Bought a 60deg wedge a couple of weeks ago with visions of flopping approaches all day long rather than my usual hit and hope approach.
When it works it's blood great but by fudge you need to put the practice in. 2h at the range/practice fairway yesterday and I still don't trust myself with it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 617
Tiger's back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndYrPzG4qfs


I think its a good thing for top level golf.
They missed him.

He has now won twice this year , so all reports of him being done and dusted seem a little premature


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:20 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9988
Went out with my old man yesterday and played Inchmarlo, nice inland course and not nearly as brutal as RAGC and I am glad to say i absolutely murdered the course.

Shot a 75 (5 over only a par 70) but that did have 1 eight on the card on a par 4. 3 birdies in the round and i left about another 5 on the course putting from 10ft or so. Irons and driving were well tasty which sets me up nicely for the club champ this weekend coming where i will throw all that good stuff out the window and no doubt look like i have never held a club before.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 617
pisspoor effort in the medal on Sunday
lost interest after my umpteenth 3 putt.#

I did discover that I can hit my 3 wood further than my driver.
How can this be?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2753
Location: Vancouver, BC
kiwigreg369 wrote:

- shot 97 (54 / 43) - 43 points off a 21 handicap
- was so happy with the score




KG



KG, unless I am missing something that stableford score doesn't make sense. 21 handicap on a par 72 should be 93. At 2 points for a net par you should normally be 36 points if you play to your h/cap. I realise there are anomaly's but not by 9 points when your score was a net 76. I hope you won some money on it, and I hope you weren't playing with a bordie who reads this. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 25251
Gareth1960 wrote:
pisspoor effort in the medal on Sunday
lost interest after my umpteenth 3 putt.#

I did discover that I can hit my 3 wood further than my driver.
How can this be?


Slower swing speeds often benefit from more loft. More hang-time or something and less side spin. Shorter shaft also increases chance of a more controlled and sweeter strike.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2753
Location: Vancouver, BC
henry wrote:
Gareth1960 wrote:
pisspoor effort in the medal on Sunday
lost interest after my umpteenth 3 putt.#

I did discover that I can hit my 3 wood further than my driver.
How can this be?


Slower swing speeds often benefit from more loft. More hang-time or something and less side spin. Shorter shaft also increases chance of a more controlled and sweeter strike.


That's the important bit. If you didn't swing so hard with your driver you would most likely hit it further. And it works with any club. Hit a 3/4 9 iron - bet the distance lost is about 0 yards. Hitting the sweet spot on the club is far more important to us amateurs.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20671
Played my first 18 holes in fudge knows how long today, was 2 down after 13 or so after two scratches on the front 9, thought I was building a bit of momentum, but then just completely fell apart for the remaining 5 holes. Very disappointing. My short game (well, from about 75 yards in) was just atrocious. I think I managed one decent putt all day, my chipping was rubbish and anything from about 50-75 yards out just went through the back, couldn't control my distance at all.

On the positive, hit a lot of good drives and a few good iron shots. Need to play more.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 617
Snooze wrote:
henry wrote:
Gareth1960 wrote:
pisspoor effort in the medal on Sunday
lost interest after my umpteenth 3 putt.#

I did discover that I can hit my 3 wood further than my driver.
How can this be?


Slower swing speeds often benefit from more loft. More hang-time or something and less side spin. Shorter shaft also increases chance of a more controlled and sweeter strike.


That's the important bit. If you didn't swing so hard with your driver you would most likely hit it further. And it works with any club. Hit a 3/4 9 iron - bet the distance lost is about 0 yards. Hitting the sweet spot on the club is far more important to us amateurs.



makes sense I guess
meanwhile I played Walton Heath today which is not the course to play when you are hitting the ball like a plum.
I havnt played this badly in ages . no confidence at all , which manifests itself in a hopeless lunge at the ball and a low duck hook.

Heather so thick its job to find the ball never mind play it , plus a strong wind and opponents playing like gods resulted in an 8 and 6 defeat :(

we then lost the rest of the holes too

I need some lessons


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 124
Location: Dublin
Gareth1960 wrote:
Snooze wrote:
henry wrote:
Gareth1960 wrote:
pisspoor effort in the medal on Sunday
lost interest after my umpteenth 3 putt.#

I did discover that I can hit my 3 wood further than my driver.
How can this be?


Slower swing speeds often benefit from more loft. More hang-time or something and less side spin. Shorter shaft also increases chance of a more controlled and sweeter strike.


That's the important bit. If you didn't swing so hard with your driver you would most likely hit it further. And it works with any club. Hit a 3/4 9 iron - bet the distance lost is about 0 yards. Hitting the sweet spot on the club is far more important to us amateurs.



makes sense I guess
meanwhile I played Walton Heath today which is not the course to play when you are hitting the ball like a plum.
I havnt played this badly in ages . no confidence at all , which manifests itself in a hopeless lunge at the ball and a low duck hook.

Heather so thick its job to find the ball never mind play it , plus a strong wind and opponents playing like gods resulted in an 8 and 6 defeat :(

we then lost the rest of the holes too

I need some lessons

A temporary tip for you before you go for lessons.
This will greatly reduce your hook.
Move the position of the ball further up in your stance. This will encourage a cutting motion which should counteract your hook, meaning you will hit the ball far straighter.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 617
TheItalianTank wrote:
Gareth1960 wrote:
Snooze wrote:
henry wrote:
Gareth1960 wrote:
pisspoor effort in the medal on Sunday
lost interest after my umpteenth 3 putt.#

I did discover that I can hit my 3 wood further than my driver.
How can this be?


Slower swing speeds often benefit from more loft. More hang-time or something and less side spin. Shorter shaft also increases chance of a more controlled and sweeter strike.


That's the important bit. If you didn't swing so hard with your driver you would most likely hit it further. And it works with any club. Hit a 3/4 9 iron - bet the distance lost is about 0 yards. Hitting the sweet spot on the club is far more important to us amateurs.



makes sense I guess
meanwhile I played Walton Heath today which is not the course to play when you are hitting the ball like a plum.
I havnt played this badly in ages . no confidence at all , which manifests itself in a hopeless lunge at the ball and a low duck hook.

Heather so thick its job to find the ball never mind play it , plus a strong wind and opponents playing like gods resulted in an 8 and 6 defeat :(

we then lost the rest of the holes too

I need some lessons

A temporary tip for you before you go for lessons.
This will greatly reduce your hook.
Move the position of the ball further up in your stance. This will encourage a cutting motion which should counteract your hook, meaning you will hit the ball far straighter.


I will give it a go and revert
Playing Woburn this Saturday coming.
It would be nice to play even half decent


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 124
Location: Dublin
Quote:
I will give it a go and revert
Playing Woburn this Saturday coming.
It would be nice to play even half decent



Try it in the range before hand.
For your driver, your ball should always be positioned on your left heel. ALWAYS
If you are hooking your irons, just move the ball position a few inches closer to your left heel. You should see some sort of improvement.
Best of luck with it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20671
TheItalianTank wrote:
Quote:
I will give it a go and revert
Playing Woburn this Saturday coming.
It would be nice to play even half decent



Try it in the range before hand.
For your driver, your ball should always be positioned on your left heel. ALWAYS
If you are hooking your irons, just move the ball position a few inches closer to your left heel. You should see some sort of improvement.
Best of luck with it.


The ball should be positioned wherever the fudge works for you. ALWAYS.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 104  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Big D, Catman, Da iawn diolch, diarm, DragsterDriver, earl the beaver, Fiigmo, Frodder, Google Adsense [Bot], Jensrsa, Laurent, Lorthern Nights, Luckycharmer, Mullet 2, Murdoch, P in VG, RodneyRegis, SamShark, Toro, YOYO and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group