Chat Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4785 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 116, 117, 118, 119, 120
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:18 am 

McGinty #12 having a rough day. Not ready for prime time.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:54 am 

Old Man by the Sea wrote:
McGinty #12 having a rough day. Not ready for prime time.

Never seen him have a game this bad. Definitely his worst in a USA jersey.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:33 am 

so didn't miss much?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:45 am 

Georgia won 21 - 17 without playing at all well, it seems. Were 21 - 3 up before conceding two tries.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:30 pm 

tabascoboy wrote:
Georgia won 21 - 17 without playing at all well, it seems. Were 21 - 3 up before conceding two tries.

Neither team played well. Eagle handling was among the worst I've ever seen in good conditions. Even reliable players like MacGinty were dropping balls left and right. And of course, any knock on was basically an instant penalty to Georgia as they'd mash us in the scrum. Beyond the scrum and handling, probably the biggest frustration was kicking. Pretty much every Georgian kick to our back 3 was contested, while pretty much every kick to their back 3 was uncontested.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:16 pm 

...and the Canadians lost to the Romanians 25-9.

We're in for an EPIC qualifier series! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:41 pm 

So I just got back from a week in Park City, Utah, where I watched some of the 10's tournament on 4th of July. I was pleasantly surprised at the level of it, some good skills on show and some very large Polynesian looking chaps.

I must check out my local team in Jacksonville Florida and see what they're all about.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:53 pm 

Stevus55 wrote:
So I just got back from a week in Park City, Utah, where I watched some of the 10's tournament on 4th of July. I was pleasantly surprised at the level of it, some good skills on show and some very large Polynesian looking chaps.

I must check out my local team in Jacksonville Florida and see what they're all about.

Rugby in Utah is kinda weird. They have a very strong, by American standards, youth and high school scene and they have one of the top college teams in the nation. But their club scene has been beset with poor organization and poor discipline. Recently they've taken some very good steps at club level. They've created a short premier league that feeds into a representative Utah side. That Utah rep side will morph into a pro team in the newly formed Major League Rugby next year, so it's not surprising the standard would be going up rapidly as local players have contracts to strive for.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:13 pm 

Makes sense, I think I saw a couple of the guys with premier league patches on their sleeves.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:51 am 

Quote:
Little Rocky Junior Stormers scrumhalf and High School All-American Ruben de Haas has signed with the Cheetahs of Super Rugby on an academy contract.

De Haas, now that he has finished his commitments with the USA U20 team, will complete the South African season with the Cheetahs program, where he will be training with current South Africa U20 scrumhalf Revan Kruger.

This is the first big step toward a pro contract for de Haas, who has been eyeing a contract in France as well as opportunities in South Africa. His father, Pieter, has been his coach with the Junior Stormers and was a professional rugby player there before moving to Arkansas. De Haas has said repeatedly that his plan is to represent the USA in rugby, and he has already done that on all age-grade levels, serving in leadership roles at every step.

http://www.florugby.com/article/58557-de-haas-to-cheetahs-academy-in-south-africa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:57 pm 

Jensrsa wrote:
Quote:
Little Rocky Junior Stormers scrumhalf and High School All-American Ruben de Haas has signed with the Cheetahs of Super Rugby on an academy contract.

De Haas, now that he has finished his commitments with the USA U20 team, will complete the South African season with the Cheetahs program, where he will be training with current South Africa U20 scrumhalf Revan Kruger.

This is the first big step toward a pro contract for de Haas, who has been eyeing a contract in France as well as opportunities in South Africa. His father, Pieter, has been his coach with the Junior Stormers and was a professional rugby player there before moving to Arkansas. De Haas has said repeatedly that his plan is to represent the USA in rugby, and he has already done that on all age-grade levels, serving in leadership roles at every step.

http://www.florugby.com/article/58557-de-haas-to-cheetahs-academy-in-south-africa

Looking forward to seeing his continued development. Quality 9s are in extremely short supply here.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:02 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxxnyTJpFWI

Anyone follow this podcast at all?

Seems pretty decent.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:56 am 

For the first time since 1986, the U.S. men won't play in the Soccer World Cup.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:34 am 

Flyin Ryan wrote:
For the first time since 1986, the U.S. men won't play in the Soccer World Cup.

Weak.

Ah well. Go Iceland.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:00 am 

Geez, they lost to Trinidad ...

Mind you, the Aussies now have to play Honduras.

I'm sure they're an okay-ish team, but if we can't beat them the boys don't deserve to keep playing on.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:12 pm 

The Varsity Cup is dead and college rugby is basically re-unified. Cal, BYU, St Mary's, Life and anyone any good except for Kutztown will be in the playoffs. Should be the best and most competitive playoff in the history of American rugby.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:01 pm 

goeagles wrote:
The Varsity Cup is dead and college rugby is basically re-unified. Cal, BYU, St Mary's, Life and anyone any good except for Kutztown will be in the playoffs. Should be the best and most competitive playoff in the history of American rugby.

:thumbup:

What's the story on Kutztown?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:14 pm 

Was looking for a story on he Varsity Cup, couldn't find it, but found this. What do we make of this?

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/10/02/v ... ating-hit/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:35 am 

goeagles wrote:

GOE, do you have the announcement where Cal is out of VC ?
I like the teams you listed as a final four. Watch out for Navy, Hickey is an excellent coach. Went by the Navy-AF game in Annapolis.
Tremendous facility to say the least.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:42 am 

appears to be this article https://www.florugby.com/articles/60143 ... ig-changes

Quote:
Today, October 15, is the deadline for D1A college teams to declare their intention to participate in the spring playoffs.

If any team makes that declaration and backs out of the playoffs, it faces serious penalties going forward. Regardless, declaring for the postseason doesn't mean you get to play in the postseason. You've still got to win games and qualify, either by winning your conference, or being ranked highly enough to get an at-large bid.

Why Do Some Teams Not Declare?

The biggest reason is 7s. With there being 7s series and 7s championships in the spring, some teams, and entire conferences, like to play their 15s in the fall and 7s in the spring and don't like the interruption.

But there has also been that little thing called the Varsity Cup. A few teams have tried to play in both the VC and D1A, but for the most part college rugby programs have decided on one or the other.

But ... About the Varsity Cup

The Varsity Cup lost its partnership with United World Sports and with NBC, and then various coaches who were in leadership roles within the Varsity Cup group have stepped away, or stepped down, or moved their teams to D1A.

The upshot? The Varsity Cup is basically no more. The teams you expect to see participate aren't going to participate. Most are looking to be in the D1A postseason. Dartmouth is going to declare D1AA and look to be in the D1AA spring playoffs. Even more telling, Navy has declared for D1A inclusion, and Navy was a Varsity Cup stalwart for years. Even more telling than that, Cal has declared for the D1A postseason. No Cal, no Varsity Cup.

So Who Has Declared?

As of last count, for the 16-team playoff, 44 teams have declared their intention to play in the spring D1A postseason. This list includes exactly zero Liberty teams (as expected, the Liberty teams said they would only want to play in a fall league season).

The list includes everyone in the Rugby East except Kutztown (which loves its 7s), everyone in the Mid-South (including 2016-17 Varsity Cup finalists Arkansas State), everyone in the PAC (including Cal), and everyone in the Red River and the Rocky Mountain. Four teams from the Big 10 (Indiana, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Michigan State) have declared, and four teams from the California, including defending D1A champion Saint Mary's.

There are five independent D1A teams, including BYU and Utah Valley, which are listed as affiliates to the Rocky Mountain, and Navy, which is now listed as an affiliate to the Rugby East. Those three, plus the other two, Central Washington and Grand Canyon, all have said they will play in the postseason.

The Upshot

No more Varsity Cup. D1A is basically unified. The 16 best rugby programs (with perhaps the odd exception) will play off over four weeks for a national title. Today is the last day to say you're in for the postseason.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:32 pm 

Old Man by the Sea wrote:
goeagles wrote:

GOE, do you have the announcement where Cal is out of VC ?
I like the teams you listed as a final four. Watch out for Navy, Hickey is an excellent coach. Went by the Navy-AF game in Annapolis.
Tremendous facility to say the least.

My source was the FloRugby (aka Goff) article Ryan posted. Hickey is a good coach. Lindenwood, Penn State, Arkansas State and Central Washington also all have good programs that could surprise one of those top 4.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:42 pm 

Flyin Ryan wrote:
goeagles wrote:

:thumbup:

What's the story on Kutztown?

I guess they focus on 7s in the spring. They're a good program but wouldn't be a real contender for the national championship in 15s, anyway. They lost to Penn St by 30 a couple weeks ago.

Flyin Ryan wrote:
Was looking for a story on he Varsity Cup, couldn't find it, but found this. What do we make of this?

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/10/02/v ... ating-hit/

No strong opinion from me on it. It's a terrible situation and a tragedy. I do think it's pretty shitty if neither the coach at the time or the player have reached out to him or Cal. What do you think?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:13 pm 

Agree on that. The parents and Clark are upset there was no further disciplinary action against the Arkansas State player. I'm looking at the still shot and video they posted, and while it is illegal play, it's on the level of referee handling it in the game, not the union need to suspend him for months. Was a freak accident, the guy didn't intend to paralyze him or do something like throwing him in the air and driving his head into the ground.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:58 pm 

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere in the thread: how does everyone watch games? I'm generally ruling out streams because I find them so unreliable, often don't work on an ipad etc. I want to watch english premiership, Rugby Champions cup, AIs, summer tours, and 6N. As far as I can tell, my options are:

(1) annual subscription to Rugby Pass for $159 (but it worries me to commit that long; I've already had a couple issues connecting through a VPN, and don't want to pay that and then a couple of weeks later find I can't use it any longer)

(2) Or a combination of
- NBC Gold rugby pass for prem and 6N
- ESPN for RC (though they only show 1-3 games a weekend
- not sure about summer tours and AIs - I think ESPN show some, I might get a month pass to the other Rugby Pass
and I think this is marginally cheaper than option 1

Am I missing any easy way to get all of these that doesn't carry the risk of my VPN getting cut off?

cheers

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:42 am 

Houston SaberCats
October 17 2017

Houston SaberCats - MLR League
©
Three BC Premier League Teams to Challenge MLR League Houston SaberCats in January

Three BC Premier League sides will visit Houston in January for matches with the MLR team Houston SaberCats (formerly Strikers). The Houston Strikers have relabelled themselves as the Sabercats, there was an original Houston Strikers rugby club formed in 1974 and facebook searches went to that club which may have caused some confusion. No confusion now as the SaberCats announced the name change and their schedule and a new website.

The Seattle Saracens, UBCOB Ravens and James Bay will make the trip on consecutive weekends in January.

HOUSTON SCHEDULE (as of Oct 17th 2017)
Jan 6th Seattle Saracens
Jan 13th UBCOB Ravens
Jan 20th James Bay
Feb 3rd Capital Selects
Feb 10th Chicago Lions
Feb 24th New Orleans Gold
Mar 3rd Ontario Arrows

All matches are to be played at the Constellation Field in Sugar Land, Texas. The stadium has a capacity of 7,500 and is home to the Sugar Land Skeeters, who play in the Atlantic Baseball League. Former Seattle Saracens head coach Justin Fitzpatrick is head coach of the Houston Sabercats, Matt Trouville a standout for the Saracens also went south and is their Academy Director.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4785 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 116, 117, 118, 119, 120