Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: The PR Book Thread
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 3:24 pm 

As per Chuckles' thread, finished Night Watch last night. Timing was entirely coincidental.
Such a good book. Would be amazing to see a decent budget TV adaption of it.

Summer reading season in the sun is approaching, so have a few sci-fi books lined up for holidays. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 3:42 pm 

What's on your list? I'm looking for a couple of good series' to read. Just started the Dark Tower series and probably going to go through the whole of ASOIAF again at some point, though something similar (and not as intense) in between would be good

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:03 pm 

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
What's on your list? I'm looking for a couple of good series' to read. Just started the Dark Tower series and probably going to go through the whole of ASOIAF again at some point, though something similar (and not as intense) in between would be good

Brandon Sanderson's mistborn series might be right, and he's finished that. His stormlight series is very good but just two books so far. Anthony Ryan did a really good series, Blood song iirc book 1 was amazing and so books 2+3 fell short. David Eddings belgariad if you want an easy entertaining read. Robin hobbs books on Fitz are very good, I think assassins apprentice is the first. Also look at Brian Staveley, Mark Lawrence and Michael J Sullivan (Sullivan's has the bigger series, the other 2 have done sets of 3 books).

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:10 pm 

Saw mention of the Takeshi Kovacs trilogy on here last week, so going to grab the first book on my Kindle. Thinking of getting some non-fiction as well. The State of Africa was mentioned also recently on here as worthwhile read about Africa post colonialism. Also watched the Siege of Jadotville recently, which is vaguely related.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:22 pm 

Boobs not Moobs wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:

Brandon Sanderson's mistborn series might be right, and he's finished that. His stormlight series is very good but just two books so far. Anthony Ryan did a really good series, Blood song iirc book 1 was amazing and so books 2+3 fell short. David Eddings belgariad if you want an easy entertaining read. Robin hobbs books on Fitz are very good, I think assassins apprentice is the first. Also look at Brian Staveley, Mark Lawrence and Michael J Sullivan (Sullivan's has the bigger series, the other 2 have done sets of 3 books).

:thumbup:

I'll maybe try it. I've never read that much fantasy tbh, more action/crime/thriller but I did really enjoy A Game of Thrones and enjoying the gunslinger so far. Heading away for 3 weeks in about a month so i'm assuming i'll have a bit of spare time to read a bit so will stock up, probably on my kindle for the ease

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:26 pm 

As an exercise in patience and tolerance for all forms of literature I've been slowly making my way through the BBC 100 books to read before you die list. Sadly Time Travellers Wife was on this which have just finished and now want to stab someone in the face. My god what an absolute pile of wank. How the f uk is it on there?!

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:27 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Saw mention of the Takeshi Kovacs trilogy on here last week, so going to grab the first book on my Kindle. Thinking of getting some non-fiction as well. The State of Africa was mentioned also recently on here as worthwhile read about Africa post colonialism. Also watched the Siege of Jadotville recently, which is vaguely related.

Recently finished Prisoners of Geography by Tim Marshall which I thought was excellent if you are after any more non-fiction suggestions. Found myself saying "ahh of course" out loud quite a bit when reading it.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:18 pm 

HKCJ wrote:
As an exercise in patience and tolerance for all forms of literature I've been slowly making my way through the BBC 100 books to read before you die list. Sadly Time Travellers Wife was on this which have just finished and now want to stab someone in the face. My god what an absolute pile of wank. How the f uk is it on there?!

I just opened Guardians version, then checked over here and you're doing a version. So I thought I'd pop the link here for you https://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/ ... -full-list

Haven't read it yet.

I've read it now, very dated, very victorian. Despite all I've read I've only read 10. Of those I'd agree with Coetzee's Disgrace without a doubt.

Last edited by Boobs not Moobs on Thu May 25, 2017 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:25 pm 

Cheers for that Boobs. All subjective of course but a very different list that

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:30 am 

Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
Boobs not Moobs wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:

I'll maybe try it. I've never read that much fantasy tbh, more action/crime/thriller but I did really enjoy A Game of Thrones and enjoying the gunslinger so far. Heading away for 3 weeks in about a month so i'm assuming i'll have a bit of spare time to read a bit so will stock up, probably on my kindle for the ease

try Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy if you enjoyed those two series.

Say one thing for Ruggabugga, say he gives good book recommendations....

I'm a bit fictioned out at the moment so just started this. Only started last night but seems to be pretty well written so far:

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 9:42 am 

RuggaBugga wrote:

I'm a bit fictioned out at the moment so just started this. Only started last night but seems to be pretty well written so far:

Dan Jones writes very good historical books, quite different and much more analytical than his TV programmes which are quite obviously tailored for those with a more casual interest in matters historical. Masses of citations and well sourced material and offers plenty of further reading material for more niche aspects :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:12 am 

Downloaded Yanis Varoufakis' latest book, Adults in the Room.
Only on the 3rd chapter but already its a massive fudge you to the EU :lol:
Obviously I need to read a few other takes on what happened to Greece to get a more rounded view but some of the stuff he says about how the EU structured the bailout is criminal.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:45 am 

tabascoboy wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:

Dan Jones writes very good historical books, quite different and much more analytical than his TV programmes which are quite obviously tailored for those with a more casual interest in matters historical. Masses of citations and well sourced material and offers plenty of further reading material for more niche aspects :thumbup:

Good to hear. Was a bit worried by the subtitle.

I've actually decided I might start with the Norman conquest and work through the various dynasties. Can any of the history buffs recommend some good material. Not too heavy, not too light preferably.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:54 pm 

Started American Gods. Still early days and I've no idea what's happening, besides filling in a few blanks myself; but I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

Somehow I've never read Gamain before. Next up is probably Good Omens (as a Pterry fanboi). What else should I stick on my reading list?
I do love reading a good book for the first time. Not something I've actually done much in the last few years.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:13 pm 

I'd like to get a friend a book for her birthday. She's well educated and interested in politics and culture.

I could just google it but I thought I'd try tap you guys in case you have any good ideas.

Any suggestions?

ed. going three pages back it looks grim. :uhoh:
Google it is.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:39 am 

On the suggestion of the missus just finished Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. Did look on here and a few of you had recommended it. Whilst she can write a nice sentence or paragraph she is a bit like Haruki Murakami in that the story never fcuking goes anywhere and the characters are just wholly unsympathetic. Hated it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:07 pm 

Revisiting glen Duncan's the last werwolf, really enjoy his books, interesting and appropriate mantra 'kill, eat, fuxk'

I lucifer was a great book too, the devil back on earth in a broken down body, contemplating ageing

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:14 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Started American Gods. Still early days and I've no idea what's happening, besides filling in a few blanks myself; but I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

Somehow I've never read Gamain before. Next up is probably Good Omens (as a Pterry fanboi). What else should I stick on my reading list?
I do love reading a good book for the first time. Not something I've actually done much in the last few years.

I'm very jealous of you getting to read good omens for the first time. Its on my desert island list

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:35 pm 

Nolanator wrote:

American Gods is fantastic. I just downloaded the tv show too, looking forward to getting stuck into that.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:49 pm 

Quote:
Hilary Mantel’s hotly anticipated final instalment to her Man Booker-winning Wolf Hall trilogy is unlikely to appear next summer, the author said this week. Responding to a question from the audience in her latest Reith lecture for the BBC, she said it was “increasingly unlikely” the book would be published in 2018 as she had previously hoped.

Asked about the final instalment, Mantel said: “It simply depends when it comes in … you know, publishing goes in seasons. If I can get it [finished] early in the new year, it might very well come out in later summer. But I have to say that this is looking increasingly unlikely.”

The book may not appear until 2019, said Mantel, who denied that her failure to finish the novel to schedule was a sign of reluctance to write about Cromwell’s execution in July 1540. “People ask me if I’m having trouble killing off Thomas Cromwell. No, why would I?”

:(

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:54 pm 

Nolanator wrote:

Neverwhere, Sandman.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:08 pm 

Floppykid wrote:
Anyone have any recommendations for books about the development of nuclear weapons during and after WW2?

If you're still looking then I'm currently reading the making of the atomic bomb. Starts with Rutherford and the discovery of the nucleus and I am at the stage where it is building up towards WW2. Keeps it understandable without pandering. Enjoying it so far.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:54 am 

Diego wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Neverwhere, Sandman.

AG was fun. Reading Necromancer now. The 80s style steampunk visuals are great.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:20 am 

Fnord

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:50 am 

For those in the know. . . . Echo's magnum opus is now less than a week away from its US release. Lucky folk in NZ and Australia will be able to get it from August, UK (where we will do a big launch) from Sept 21st and the SA and Namibia at some uncofimd date in November coupled with something called a bicycle talk at Exclusive and some lectures.

To celebrate this fine event Echo will be publishing a tatster as op-ed in the New York Times and we expect reviews to start coming in the next few months.....One major magazine review is already out.

Anyway fill your boots the book also makes a splendid Xmas present.

I'm not sure if there is a PM function on this bored anymore, but if you want to find out more, feel free to PM me. If not maybe the mods might suggest a plan.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:52 am 

alliswell wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
Anyone have any recommendations for books about the development of nuclear weapons during and after WW2?

If you're still looking then I'm currently reading the making of the atomic bomb. Starts with Rutherford and the discovery of the nucleus and I am at the stage where it is building up towards WW2. Keeps it understandable without pandering. Enjoying it so far.

Cheers, I'll look it up! :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:08 am 

echo wrote:
For those in the know. . . . Echo's magnum opus is now less than a week away from its US release. Lucky folk in NZ and Australia will be able to get it from August, UK (where we will do a big launch) from Sept 21st and the SA and Namibia at some uncofimd date in November coupled with something called a bicycle talk at Exclusive and some lectures.

To celebrate this fine event Echo will be publishing a tatster as op-ed in the New York Times and we expect reviews to start coming in the next few months.....One major magazine review is already out.

I'm not sure if there is a PM function on this bored anymore, but if you want to find out more, feel free to PM me. If not maybe the mods might suggest a plan.

A precis perhaps?

Always happy to support authors.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:47 am 

echo wrote:

What is it? Chuck up a link.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:28 pm 

Just finished Richard Askwith's biography of Emil Zatopek "Today we die a little".

It's a good read, very good on his early years as competitor but starts to drift pretty badly in covering Zatopek's involvement in the Prague Spring and his subsequent fall from grace when the hardliners returned to power. Askwith isn't really comfortable with anything that isn't about the running, so Zatopek's personal life isn't really investigated too throughly (Askwith himself says that he didn't want to pry too much into the private life of Zatopek which is a noble gesture but leaves a biography slightly off balance). Zatopek's political life is still hard to pin down, he seems to have remained a communist to the end of his life, albeit one who wanted people to have personal freedom.

Still Zatopek is certainly one of the greatest Olympians off all time and the book is worth a read for the parts that cover his insane training regimes and incredible ability to connect with people wherever he went.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:46 pm 

Any David Gemmell fans on here? Just finished the Drenai and Rigante series' and started his Jon Shannow one which I'm not really getting in to. Worth sticking with?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:55 pm 

ZappaMan wrote:
Sapiens by Yuval Harari is the best book I've read in the last few months.

Two thumbs up :thumbup: :thumbup:

Harari's blurb for echo's book is just in. . . . too late for the hard-back but it will go on the soft back in 11 months or so.

"Insightful, well-written and avoiding both modern conceits and romantic fantasies, XXXXXXX chronicles how modern economics and politics have finally conquered the last outposts of the Stone Age, and how much humankind can still learn from the disappearing way of life of the most marginalized communities on earth."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:08 pm 

OptimisticJock wrote:
Any David Gemmell fans on here? Just finished the Drenai and Rigante series' and started his Jon Shannow one which I'm not really getting in to. Worth sticking with?

I thought it was a pale imitation of Stephen Kings Dark tower series (in that I read SKs version first at least)

Of Gemmells books I prefer his fantasised history novel series best - the Lion of Macedon series and the Troy series (first two books anyway, the third for obvious reasons just wasn't as good)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:10 pm 

The way I see it echo you should either link the f*cking book or shut the f*ck up.

No one with half a brain doubts you but conversely if you're worried about your identity being raised you should probably refrain from bigging up your credentials.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:12 pm 

RuggaBugga wrote:
The way I see it echo you should either link the f*cking book or shut the f*ck up.

No one with half a brain doubts you but conversely if you're worried about your identity being raised you should probably refrain from bigging up your credentials.

I'm going to wait for the first MSM review and then I shall out myself.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:05 pm 

blindcider wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:

I thought it was a pale imitation of Stephen Kings Dark tower series (in that I read SKs version first at least)

Of Gemmells books I prefer his fantasised history novel series best - the Lion of Macedon series and the Troy series (first two books anyway, the third for obvious reasons just wasn't as good)

Cheers, I'll maybe read them first, I got the feeling it would be similar. Finished the first one then read the next one he wrote, which is about the stones but not a Shannow book.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:48 pm 

OptimisticJock wrote:
blindcider wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:

Cheers, I'll maybe read them first, I got the feeling it would be similar. Finished the first one then read the next one he wrote, which is about the stones but not a Shannow book.

The stones is his 'thing' recurrent in every novel he wrote

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:44 am 

Got Sherlock Holmes: the definitive collection, Narrated by Stephen Fry on audible.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:37 pm 

Reading Hobb's last Fitz and fool book 3. 800+ pages and it really drags at times.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:46 pm 

Finished Neuromancer. Enjoyed it, especially the setting and feel of the place.

Change of tack to Good Omens now before back to more sci-fi.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:57 pm 

Just finished Life and Fate by Vasily Grossman.

Some of it was brilliant, some of it dull as fudge, but the brilliant bits kept me going to the end. It's billed as Russian modern classic but doesn't come close to most the classics in my opinion.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next