Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: The PR Book Thread
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:02 pm 

Fangle wrote:
I am currently reading my old science fiction books for possibly the last time and then passing them on to my daughter (for her to dump). Most of these I bought 50 odd years ago - Bradbury, Asimov, Dick, Heinlein etc. The one at the moment is Ray Bradbury's Machineries of Joy.

hardbacks?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:04 pm 

Monk Zombie wrote:
Fangle wrote:
I am currently reading my old science fiction books for possibly the last time and then passing them on to my daughter (for her to dump). Most of these I bought 50 odd years ago - Bradbury, Asimov, Dick, Heinlein etc. The one at the moment is Ray Bradbury's Machineries of Joy.

hardbacks?

Crappy paperbacks. I was still a student. The current one cost 35 cents.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:26 pm 

hadn't tried Louis de Bernier since Captain Corelli but though time for another go and loved Bird Without Wings

Kate Atkinson was another I thought I'd go back to having read nothing since her first (which I liked) and was again glad I did with A God in Ruins.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:55 pm 

Currently reading this:

Utterly tragic read, it covers a war that involved at least 20 different rebel groups and the armies of nine countries, millions dead, millions more displaced......and mostly ignored by the rest of the world.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:47 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:
Currently reading this:

Utterly tragic read, it covers a war that involved at least 20 different rebel groups and the armies of nine countries, millions dead, millions more displaced......and mostly ignored by the rest of the world.

Was an interesting period. The conflict spilled down to Namibia- who sent troops to the DRC- and then got caught up in the final push against UNITA in Angola which spilt over the border resulting in al sorts of shit in Namibia's Caprivi. I was running an EU-ACP human rights project through a local legal NGO- and had the fun job of monitoring that part of the conflict and assisting the French embassy to investigate the killing of a French family - the Bidoins- who got shot up after entering namibia to try to get to the coast for the millennium New years after visiting vic falls.

If you like stearns I'd recommend Michaela Wrong's stuff and for a slightly different stylistic approach Aiden Hartley's Zanzibar Chest - focussed on Somalia and Rwanda, in the early 1990s but a cosmically good, if grim read.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:03 pm 

echo wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
Currently reading this:

Was an interesting period. The conflict spilled down to Namibia- who sent troops to the DRC- and then got caught up in the final push against UNITA in Angola which spilt over the border resulting in al sorts of shit in Namibia's Caprivi. I was running an EU-ACP human rights project through a local legal NGO- and had the fun job of monitoring that part of the conflict and assisting the French embassy to investigate the killing of a French family - the Bidoins- who got shot up after entering namibia to try to get to the coast for the millennium New years after visiting vic falls.

If you like stearns I'd recommend Michaela Wrong's stuff and for a slightly different stylistic approach Aiden Hartley's Zanzibar Chest - focussed on Somalia and Rwanda, in the early 1990s but a cosmically good, if grim read.

Ta, will have a look.

The Horn of Africa: State Formation and Decay by Christopher Clapham is getting good reviews, not available till later this month.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:25 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:
echo wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
Currently reading this:

Ta, will have a look.

The Horn of Africa: State Formation and Decay by Christopher Clapham is getting good reviews, not available till later this month.

I know Chris- he was on the fellowship of the Cambridge African Studies Centre with me in the early noughties. His stuff is very dry and academic. He's also as old as the hills.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:32 pm 

Was reading GOT's thread and someone mentioned Salinger. Thought better to post this here than there.

I go to quizzes and certain novels come up in the questions as being regarded as classics so I am attempting to read some.

Have just finished the Catcher in the Rye and was pretty disappointing. I wouldn't say it was awful but just not that great and deserving of all the fuss. Holden while making some good observations about life but was just far to annoying to really identify with in the way I think the novel wanted me to. Never really picked it up thirsting for more and it was only becoming interesting as it was getting closer to his mental breakdown then just as they got there it ends.

I would put it with On the Road by Kerouac and a Farewell to Arms by Hemingway in the category of being overated. Not awful just a bit of a chore to read.

By contrast I would put The Great Gatsby by Fitzgerald, Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky and War and Peace by Tolstoy as being excellent and worthy of their status.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:53 am 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:37 pm 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Raw_Shark_Texts

This is well worth a read, it's a strange premise when you read the description on Wikipedia but a cracking read. The thought the author put in to the project is outstanding, for every chapter in the book there is an un-chapter hidden online or in the real world, you don't need to read the unchapters as part of the book, they just expand on the themes and ideas of the book.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:23 pm 

There's some good kindle daily deals books today inc...

Band of Brothers not for me but I know a lot of you liked the series
The Immortal life of Henritta Lacks - very good read.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kindle-Daily-D ... =341689031

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:41 pm 

Half way through this. Absolutely loving it, haven't read a laugh out loud book for a while and this is one.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:56 am 

Recent reads

The Help.. fantastic, loved it. Hadn't seen the film but what a great book

Killing Floor. Needed something easy to read and thought I'd try a Jack Reacher. Mother of Christ. I've read Ladybird books that were more of a challenge.

Watership Down. Pretty good.. great descriptions of the countryside but not as scary or visceral as the animated film of my childhood.

Of mice and men. Terrific little read. I haven't read any Steinbeck so will be giving grapes of wrath a go soon because this was a captivating little short story

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:14 am 

Reading the Boucherie Ovalie book at the moment. Good fun but I need an online dictionary. Invariably there is a word in the book not on the online dictionary but I take the approach that it is probably just another word for penis.

Edit: other than that it's all Annabel Karmel and Each Peach Sodding Pear Plum.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:35 pm 

bought these in the week: should rather have got the Gaddis on kindle; it is a brick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:35 pm 

Leon, Fast Vegetarian cookbook, 99p today for Kindle

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... 5400977031

I wanted this book.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:10 pm 

Tale of two cities - absolutely brilliant. Loved it

Grapes of wrath. Meh. A bit bleak for me and not enough story. Decent social essay I guess

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:22 pm 

james garner wrote:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Raw_Shark_Texts

This is well worth a read, it's a strange premise when you read the description on Wikipedia but a cracking read. The thought the author put in to the project is outstanding, for every chapter in the book there is an un-chapter hidden online or in the real world, you don't need to read the unchapters as part of the book, they just expand on the themes and ideas of the book.

I bought it then couldnt make head nor tail of it so put it down

Think I was distracted

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:55 pm 

Just read "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" after watching Sheridan Smith in the brilliant "12 Days of Christine". Apparently the former partly inspired the latter.
These "life review" stories really creep me out...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:59 pm 

https://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_p ... ost_digest

Brandon Sanderson Humble bundle

Quote:
So, What’s Included?

Pay $1 or more

Firstborn/Defending Elysium
The Emperor’s Soul
Legion
Legion:Skin Deep
Warbreaker Part 1 – Graphic Audio
Elantris Part 1 – Graphic Audio
Mistborn Adventure Game

Pay $8 or more to also unlock!

Sixth of the Dusk
Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell
Perfect State
Warbreaker Part 2 – Graphic Audio
Elantris Part 2 – Graphic Audio
Terris: Wrought of Copper Player’s Guide

Pay $15 or more to also unlock!

Snapshot
Dreamer
The Hope of Elantris – Graphic Audio
Warbreaker Part 3 – Graphic Audio
Elantris Part 3 – Graphic Audio
White Sand – Graphic Novel
Alloy of Law: Mistborn Campaign

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:18 pm 

Currently reading Mick Herron's Slough House/Jackson Lamb Series. This is about a fictional small and shabby annex of MI5 which is a dumping ground for spies who have cocked up and are left to rot doing mundane and tedious counter terrorism analysis/archiving tasks in the hope they will resign and save the service the bother of sacking them.

Good light hearted reading but satirical and cynical too. This bunch of misfits may have failed in active work but are desperate to redeem themselves by unofficially getting involved in ops to earn a return to the real world of spying.

John le Carre it isn't but they are entertaining reads. It would make for a decent TV adaptation.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:10 am 

slick wrote:

Half way through this. Absolutely loving it, haven't read a laugh out loud book for a while and this is one.

Read that recently. It was definitely a good read and funny, but I didn't quite reach laugh out loud levels.

Just finished reading Barry Unsworth's Sacred Hunger. Absolutely fantastic historical fiction ostensibly about a slaving vessel and its crew. The book is really a lot deeper than the slaving backdrop, and you had a really strong view of how the personalities of the protagonists had a lasting impact throughout the tale.

Only 7 Booker winners left for me to read now. Onto James Kelman next.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:55 am 

For anyone here that is a fan of J.V. Jones you'll know that she mysteriously left her last series unfinished and no one knew what was going on. Here website or twitter hadn't been updated for years and she had basically dropped off the face of the earth.

I was on twitter the other day and she popped up with a tweet. turns out she's been having a hard time with a divorce, depression, nearly losing her house etc... trying to get back on her feet and start writing again. She's started a Patreon page for anyone interested. I've signed up for a few dollars a month which i see as worthwhile for an author that I've enjoyed immensely over the years.

The page is here for anyone that may be interested:
https://www.patreon.com/jvjones

Also check out her books if you are into Fantasy and haven't read them.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 3:45 am 

Reading Bill Brysons The Mother Tongue about the English language. Fascinating book. Anyone who insists on speaking "proper" English can get fcuked

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:52 am 

Just finished Zadie Smith's "White Teeth" 9/10, very funny.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:58 am 

Gordon Bennett wrote:

Read that recently. It was definitely a good read and funny, but I didn't quite reach laugh out loud levels.

Just finished reading Barry Unsworth's Sacred Hunger. Absolutely fantastic historical fiction ostensibly about a slaving vessel and its crew. The book is really a lot deeper than the slaving backdrop, and you had a really strong view of how the personalities of the protagonists had a lasting impact throughout the tale.

Barry Unsworth is brilliant. Ruby in her Navel is another awesome novel set in the Kingdom of Sicily under the Normans.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 6:46 am 

village wrote:
Gordon Bennett wrote:

Barry Unsworth is brilliant. Ruby in her Navel is another awesome novel set in the Kingdom of Sicily under the Normans.

:thumbup: I'll have a dash at that once I've finished the pile of 10 books I'm working through at the moment.

Onto Saville by David Storey now. 5 Bookers left after this, then I've got a couple of Richard Flanagans to work through. Looking forward to Death of a River Guide having rafted the Franklin River a couple of years ago, and I did think The Narrow Road to the Deep North was excellent.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:38 am 

Read quite a bit oh Dalrymple and reckon this is his best work yet - well recommended;

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:19 am 

flaggETERNAL wrote:
Reading Bill Brysons The Mother Tongue about the English language. Fascinating book. Anyone who insists on speaking "proper" English can get fcuked

His travel oeuvre obviously has its fans and has payed the bills but it is, for the most part, knockabout repetitive stuff. His more considered work, which he demonstrated for the first time with The Mother Tongue, are of an entirely different level.
At Home, on the surface, might have appeared to be an uninspiring subject, but as a gifted raconteur he wove a wealth of anecdote, history and observation into a compelling and endlessly interesting read. In One Summer: America 1927, he pulled off essentially the same trick with a splendid series of oddball vignettes about the background to events and personalities of that era. He's a fine writer, when he makes the effort.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:25 pm 

Reading AA Gill, pour me a life, great read, he was a funny fcuker.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:35 pm 

A staggering work of profound genius.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:50 pm 

Red Chopper wrote:
Read quite a bit oh Dalrymple and reckon this is his best work yet - well recommended;

Yes, same here. Enjoyed that.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:10 pm 

If you have Prime, Prime books and mags and comics has come to the UK

Works on apps as well as kindles and fire tabs. It also works with calibre and apprentice alf. I'm not sure if the very latest version of kindle PC will work though, you might need the slightly older one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/kindle-dbs/fd/ ... p-prime-pr

https://www.amazon.co.uk/kindle-dbs/fd/ ... 71a4b09731

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:23 pm 

Enemy of the State by Tommy Robinson is quite the book.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:25 pm 

About the Battle of Poltava. Absolutely brilliant book told from the Swedish perspective, with fairly horrific detail.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:08 pm 

Ready Player One - hilariously awful 2/10 just because it made me laugh it was so bad
All the Light we Cannot See - fantastic. Just a lovely story very well written 9/10
Great Expectations - not my Favourite Dickens 7/10
Water for Elephants - got a bit dust in my eye at the end. 8/10

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:13 pm 

Brazil wrote:

A staggering work of profound genius.

:thumbup: missed this thanks.
I love Robert Anton Wilson's work so should enjoy this on my hols :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:58 am 

started reading the Dark Tower series, just on the first one but nearly finished it, it's really good so far. Quite a simple intro to the world but Stephen King really knows how to build a world. Looking forward to moving to the second one

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:14 pm 

Just finished Absolute Friends John le Carré; bloody good read

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:19 pm 

Lady P wrote:
Reading the Boucherie Ovalie book at the moment. Good fun but I need an online dictionary. Invariably there is a word in the book not on the online dictionary but I take the approach that it is probably just another word for penis.

Edit: other than that it's all Annabel Karmel and Each Peach Sodding Pear Plum.

:lol:

Le meilleur livre du monde

I need to get it

PS it cauld also be a french yeebism ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next