Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:26 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1395 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35
 Post subject: Re: The PR Book Thread
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:02 am 

One for the history lovers on the bored. Set during the fall of Constantinople. Turns out there was a Scottish mercenary among the defenders. God only knows what he was doing all that way east. It's a good read and the author's note at the end is quite interesting too as a lot of the bits I assumed he'd made up turn out to be historical fact.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:05 am 

Thanks, looks right up my st.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:11 am 

Just started the first book in the Wheel of Time series. Hope it gets better soon, 50 pages of nothing to engage my interest as yet. Not as immediate as LOTR or AGoT but I need to give it, cough, time I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:36 am 

been slowly working through this over the last month or so.

wonderful characters in a gripping story

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:56 am 

much enjoyed this recently

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:58 am 

one of the best things i did this year was messing about with bitters.

this was my guide:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:03 pm 

village wrote:
One for the history lovers on the bored. Set during the fall of Constantinople. Turns out there was a Scottish mercenary among the defenders. God only knows what he was doing all that way east. It's a good read and the author's note at the end is quite interesting too as a lot of the bits I assumed he'd made up turn out to be historical fact.

That's a very winning combination for me, on order, thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:44 pm 

kiwigreg369 wrote:
Just started reading ... enjoying so far... (but bit worried seems to be 'populist science' - which i think is a worry...)

I thought this was brilliant after a friend advised me to read just one chapter at a time. It was enough to get into it but not get yourself too muddled incorporating too many ideas in one sitting.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:18 am 

I came across this guy giving away his books for free and I figured I’d be thrifty and give them a shot.
Free download for part one of each trilogy.

Unfortunately I quite enjoyed them and now I’m going to have to buy the sequels.
He played me like a cheap fiddle.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:05 pm 

tabascoboy wrote:
Just started the first book in the Wheel of Time series. Hope it gets better soon, 50 pages of nothing to engage my interest as yet. Not as immediate as LOTR or AGoT but I need to give it, cough, time I guess.

It's Pish.

Get thee to Malazan!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:58 pm 

HKCJ wrote:
kiwigreg369 wrote:
Just started reading ... enjoying so far... (but bit worried seems to be 'populist science' - which i think is a worry...)

I thought this was brilliant after a friend advised me to read just one chapter at a time. It was enough to get into it but not get yourself too muddled incorporating too many ideas in one sitting.

Read it a few months ago and really enjoyed it. Trying to keep things light at the moment so went with a recommendation from here for a fantasy book.

Very decent indeed for a man who hadn't read fantasy in years.

Next was this and also enjoyed a lot of it though it did get a little too Stephen Fry at times. When he tries to do jokes like the plebs he sounds like a dick

Lastly I have threatened to listen to audio books for a while and am listening to the following. Very good and am about 2 hours in

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:33 pm 

tabascoboy wrote:

The first couple of books are the high point, so if you're not enjoying the first book, step the fuck away. And if you are enjoying the first book, step the fuck away.

Seriously, it's a trap. A giant, convuluted, shit filled trap.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:39 pm 

tabascoboy wrote:

I think I gave it 100 before I gave up.

... I'm no account of taste though. I'm on volume five of Rick and Morty comic compilations. :blush:

Most recent 'adult' book I read was "Shot All to Hell: Jesse James, the Northfield Raid and the Wild West's Greatest Escape" ... would have made a MUCH better film than the Brad Pitt movie...

Before that, I found Roger Moore's collection of stories from Hollywood interesting (One Lucky Bastard or Last Man Standing - depending if you're in NA / UK ... appreciated the audiobook, which is probably a better medium than reading ... even if not in his voice).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:32 am 

I’ve been reading a few books by an Irish author named Brian O Sullivan.
He’s hoovered up all the old Celtic literature pertaining to Fionn Mac Cumhaill and used it as the framework for a series of novels, fleshing out the characters while following the thread of the legend.

There’s also a purely fictional series featuring a female warrior called Liath Luachra, (the grey one of Luachair), which acts a prequel to the Fionn Mac Cuamhaill series.
She’s named as Fionn’s Childhood protector in the Fianian cycles, and O Sullivan brings her to life as an ultra violent, PTSD suffering, Fian leader (who occasionally drinks from the furry cup, which is nice).

If you like the odd fantasy novel, but are a bit sick of the overdone wizardry and goblins and knightly gallantry then give these a shot.
The Iron Age setting is harsh and brutal, and the supernatural elements are Druidic, so it’s a lot closer to Vikings than lord of the rings.
Liberal use of Irish makes them more accessible to those of us with the Requisite Celtic Soul but there’s a handy pronunciation guide for the foreigners covering the commonly used terms, and most of the others are translated as you go.

You can pick up a few free chapters on the guy’s website to whet your appetite before you commit.

http://irishimbasbooks.com/book/fionn-t ... g-silence/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:02 pm 

So when last here the youngest sprog leaves this at home and says I should read it.

It's called "Infinite Jest" by a fellow called David Foster Wallace: over a thousand pages of it.

Ho Ho Ho - Am i going to smack sprog on his head with Infinite Jest when he next sets foot here?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:50 am 

George RR Martin did a script for an action-comedy cop show with aliens... didn’t get picked up, but is a good graphic novel. I don’t know if the original was meant to be live action, but it could be animated and be successful, I think.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:31 am 

Night Boat to Tangier by Kevin Barry, reading it at the moment and its a really good read, Its dialogue driven a bit like with Waiting for Godot with aging drug dealers

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:53 am 

slick wrote:
village wrote:

Hmm, not sure im enjoying this. It's the guy's first novel and he is just trying too hard to be descriptive of everything. The story is pretty decent so far but it's beginning to get on my tits.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:10 pm 

Just finished and enjoyed these:
Shadow King: The Life and Death of Henry VI

Interesting to read about a time when the political class were if possible even more useless than today. Less reassuring that it ended up in a civil war, though on the positive side nearly all of the useless politicians ended up horribly dead.

Edmund: In Search of England's Lost King

Interesting take on the pre-Reformation importance of Edmund; I think he overplays his hand a little on Edmund's importance to the creation of England, but still, lots of stuff I didn't know.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:15 pm 

This is out in paperback recently. Its apparently very interesting. ahem.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:33 pm 

In my quest to read some of the Classics intermittently I gave up on Bleak House which is the only Dickens I've disliked and read A Clockwork Orange instead. To my surprise I loved it. Am currently reading The Woman in White. It's fantastically well written and am devouring it at a rate of knots which is just as well as its another doorstop. Has anyone read much else that Wilkie Collins has done? Any recommendations?

Elsewhere the book that I really enjoyed lately was A Man Called Ove by Fredrick Backman. Completely different from his Beartown series of books. Good, lighthearted fun. Its almost like a book version of the emotional scene about the old couple and their life in the movie UP.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:39 pm 

You're reading the best book he wrote imho.

From memory, No name and moonstone were worth a read

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:50 pm 

Just read the blurb about moonstone and sounds like my cup of tea so will stick it in the 'to read' list. Cheers HH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:03 pm 

Been reading A few Maigret's and a couple of John Sandford's Davenport crime novels for holiday reading.
Started age of myth today.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:20 pm 

Starting with the first one about the Peninsular War, Rifles, I've been re-reading Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe series for the first time since my late teens (a decade ago now *sigh*). Bloody brilliant they are. Tearing through one every 2 - 3 days at the moment.

Last edited by sockwithaticket on Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:22 pm 

I've been spending a fair but of time at my parents' place recently due to my dad's health.

The three bonuses:

His wine cellar
His whisky collection
Rediscovering Graham greene.

I've also spotted middlemarch for my next trip. Loved that back in the day

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:22 pm 

Hope your Dad is ok, HH.

I read this at the weekend and would thoroughly recommend it :thumbup:

The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs by Stephen L. Brusatte

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:26 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
I've been spending a fair but of time at my parents' place recently due to my dad's health.

The three bonuses:

His wine cellar
His whisky collection
Rediscovering Graham greene.

I've also spotted middlemarch for my next trip. Loved that back in the day

Hope your dad is OK mate. I am slightly obsessed with Graham Greene, have almost all his books and diaries, including a few first editions. He just doesn't seem to have written a duffer.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:29 pm 

Graham Greene was a wonderful writer. I once did a pilgrimage to his grave in Corseaux :blush:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:32 pm 

lorcanoworms wrote:
Been reading A few Maigret's and a couple of John Sandford's Davenport crime novels for holiday reading.
Started age of myth today.

Maigret novels are great and I certainly loved Rowan Atkinson's interpretation. Try Leblanc's Arsene Lupin.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:52 pm 

Just re re read Martin Amis’s ‘Experience’. By turns chuckling and snorting, then quietly shuddering and rawly moving. For anyone who had a great Father figure in their life it’s amazing and rewarding. To have Robert Graves and Larkin wandering in and out of your youth, and Fred West poking his appalling nose in to your life, wow. Plus his three great mates being Hitchens , James Fenton and latterly Saul Bellow, fantastic.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:42 pm 

slick wrote:
slick wrote:
village wrote:

Hmm, not sure im enjoying this. It's the guy's first novel and he is just trying too hard to be descriptive of everything. The story is pretty decent so far but it's beginning to get on my tits.

Yeah, this was shite

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:13 pm 

slick wrote:
slick wrote:
slick wrote:
village wrote:

Yeah, this was shite

Oh, I quite enjoyed it, but you probably hate scotsmen by now.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:17 pm 

Demilich wrote:
tabascoboy wrote:

The first couple of books are the high point, so if you're not enjoying the first book, step the fuck away. And if you are enjoying the first book, step the fuck away.

Seriously, it's a trap. A giant, convuluted, shit filled trap.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Too late. The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:52 am 

Quote:
Oh, I quite enjoyed it, but you probably hate scotsmen by now

:lol:

I thought he was trying too hard to show how descriptive he could be and how many big words he knew, just got annoying, like a, like a, like a, oh fudge off.

The "Scottish" words he kept randomly putting in to Grants conversations was really cringy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1395 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35