Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1422 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36
 Post subject: Re: The PR Book Thread
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:32 am 

I'd put Malazan well above Wheel of Time, but it does somewhat suffer from some of the same issues. The last few books were a bit of a slog - way too many PoV characters, and often not ones you really gave a shit about. And in a series that size, with the sheer number of characters involved, having the same characters use multiple different names through the series is not really helpful.

It's well written, has some excellent world and character building, but I'm not really a fan of fantasy series where you have to take cliff notes/keep referring back to Google.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:51 am 

camroc1 wrote:
Just started "Promise me You'll Shoot Yourself : The Downfall of Ordinary Germans in 1945" by Florian Huber.

It's pretty bloody depressing already and I'm only 60 pages in. But rivetting reading, and essential, I think, to understand post war Germany.

This does sound interesting. How is it going?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:57 am 

Mr. White wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
tabascoboy wrote:
Just started the first book in the Wheel of Time series. Hope it gets better soon, 50 pages of nothing to engage my interest as yet. Not as immediate as LOTR or AGoT but I need to give it, cough, time I guess.

It's Pish.

Get thee to Malazan!

This, Malazan is great. WoT simply isn't that good imo, and yes I've read them all. :blush:

For shame!

"My name is Nynaeve ti al’Meara Mandragoran. The message I want sent is this. My husband rides from World’s End toward Tarwin’s Gap, toward Tarmon Gai’don. Will he ride alone?"

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:40 pm 

Might be of interest:

Interview with the author: https://alondonjournal.net/2019/09/01/s ... -richards/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:51 pm 

Just started this.. so far just as good as the previous in the series

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:27 am 

A recommendation from the Literary Review newsletter:

Quote:
Three Cheers for Thurrock
Excellent Essex: In Praise of England’s Most Misunderstood County
By Gillian Darley
Old Street 342pp £14.99

What does Essex mean to you? Is it the gritty clubs and bars of Romford or the boy racers hurtling through Epping Forest in a cloud of exhaust fumes? Is it Norman Tebbit, archetypal Essex man? Or is it the thatched cottages of Constable country, the mudflats of the Thames Estuary and the renaissance palaces of Beaulieu and Audley End? Paul Lay leads a tour through a much-maligned county. [Read]

https://literaryreview.co.uk/three-cheers-for-thurrock

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:20 am 

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
Just started "Promise me You'll Shoot Yourself : The Downfall of Ordinary Germans in 1945" by Florian Huber.

It's pretty bloody depressing already and I'm only 60 pages in. But rivetting reading, and essential, I think, to understand post war Germany.

Sorry, only saw this now.

It is very good, and traces how the German people embraced Hitler, how propaganda shaped their views right through to the suicide 'epidemic' at wars end.

I've also just finished this :

Essential reading if you want to understand Brexit, how the UK got there, and why the EU takes the positions it does.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:27 am 

HKCJ wrote:
Just started this.. so far just as good as the previous in the series

:thumbup: Had no idea this was due out, not long read 'London Rules'.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:33 am 

camroc1 wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
camroc1 wrote:

It is very good, and traces how the German people embraced Hitler, how propaganda shaped their views right through to the suicide 'epidemic' at wars end.

Cheers!

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:19 pm 

Finally read Red Notice there.
Went through it in almost one sitting.

I know it's grim subject matter, bit it reads like a thriller.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:01 pm 

Anyone read the Rivers of London books by Ben Aaronovitch? Just finished the first one and about to start the second. I'm usually wary of series like this but the writing is top notch, very amusing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:17 pm 

Only getting around to reading the great North road now, read all his stuff in no particular order.
Glorious day sitting in the garden reading.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:26 pm 

Dobbin wrote:
Anyone read the Rivers of London books by Ben Aaronovitch? Just finished the first one and about to start the second. I'm usually wary of series like this but the writing is top notch, very amusing.

I've read the first few (three perhaps) a few years ago. Not bad books and have some unexpectedly gruesome bits in them. I've been meaning to pick up the next one, but never get round to it,

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:08 am 

I'm just waiting for this to arrive.

Platform Seven (From the Sunday Times Bestselling Author of Apple Tree Yard)
by Louise Doughty

It's actually based around Peterborough station, which is just up the road, hence my interest.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:36 pm 

Dobbin wrote:

They're good fun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:48 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
camroc1 wrote:

I've also just finished this :

Essential reading if you want to understand Brexit, how the UK got there, and why the EU takes the positions it does.

Gonna see if I can try find it today. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:51 pm 

Despite being an avid remainer, that book irked me.

I can't put my finger on exactly and agreed with most of it, but I felt awkward while reading it.

Tbf that cover most of my interactions with camroc on the bored, so no surprise there then.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:54 pm 

Read Cormac McCarthys The Road this evening.. read it in one sitting as I couldn’t put it down. Contrary to many opinions I’ve read previously I found it quite beautiful.. I mean yes it’s a depressing apocalyptic shithole of a setting but the overall tone was quite optimistic I felt. Anyway I fcuking lived it.. best book I’ve read this year I think.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:23 pm 

Which Phillip Pullman book to start with please.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:53 pm 

lorcanoworms wrote:

Well the Dark Materials trilogy is the only thing I’ve read by him but I found it hugely overrated. Started ok but trailed off hugely (maybe would have liked it better when I was a kid though)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:32 pm 

HKCJ wrote:
lorcanoworms wrote:

Well the Dark Materials trilogy is the only thing I’ve read by him but I found it hugely overrated. Started ok but trailed off hugely (maybe would have liked it better when I was a kid though)

Same for me, and they fared worse on a second reading years later.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:11 am 

In the past while, have read...

Have had it on the list for years, couldn't believe how much I enjoyed it. Never saw the film but was expecting a thoroughly depressing book, it's sad in parts but absolutely hilarious throughout. A child's take on the dirt poor ultra conservative Catholic country Ireland once was. Made me guffaw every few pages.

Followed by this which takes up where Angela's Ashes finishes and covers the start of his life in America. Between the two it tells the Irish emigration story really well. Hadn't planned on it but enjoyed the first so much I jumped into this.

Autobiography. He's an incredibly smart individual and wasn't aware of his early stuff in US and his background. A lot of the stuff covers what you see on TV but it's still entertaining as he put himself in so many absurd situations. Good read and well written, reflects on his relationship with Saville a lot and you can tell it's something that still bothers him.

Read this after Theroux book and it actually touches on a lot of the same themes. Autobiography of a woman who grew up in a batshit Mormon family by a father who was a survivalist, thought the Feds were going to murder his family at any moment etc. She somehow went on to study in Harvard and Cambridge despite being "homeschooled" by a pair of lunatics on a junkyard. Highly recommend.

Read after reading "Prisoners of Geography" by the same author. Preferred Prisoners but this is still quite good, basically a history of flags and what they represent around the world in different countries/areas/continents throughout the past and right up to the present day.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1422 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36