Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4443
I want to come up with a snappier version of ‘Engaging with Durable Growth’ for a conference programme.

the French, who are hosting it, have come up with the above but:

1. It could, for non native eng speakers, be interpreted as consumer durables.
2. The Frogs don’t understand the difference between stability, durability and sustainability
3. The title is bland in any case.

All suggestions or piss takes welcome


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:54 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 37194
Location: in transit
Economic Cock Rings: A guide to financial sustainability.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4443
guy smiley wrote:
Economic Cock Rings: A guide to financial sustainability.


So tempted to use that!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:56 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 37194
Location: in transit
:lol: dare you


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4443
guy smiley wrote:
:lol: dare you


I might refer to Russia as ‘The Eastern Cock’


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 21, 2018 12:24 am
Posts: 93
Location: Sydney (for now)
If you are talking about economic growth, 'durable' and 'sustainable' would be essentially the same- i.e. what growth can be supported given our current estimates of labor growth, technological prgress etc.

If it is economics, I've never heard the term 'durable' used to describe it unless it was an adjective along the lines of 'despite the regional recession, growth remained durable in country A'


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7711
Smart growth and how to achieve it


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1790
Call it "Sustainable Growth is an Oxymoron" That should encourage some lively debate.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10282
Behold my growth and it's durability!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 17895
Duraplus

Dura for French word ‘tough’ and plus for ‘more of’ as in growth

Duracroissance is the literal tough growth translation but isn’t snappy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1736
"Slow Blow. The Art of Endurance Felatio" ?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1736
You might want to merge this with the "Can you hold your breath ..." thread


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 49344
Location: Oundle
Grow, maintain, live.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1736
globus wrote:
Grow, maintain, live.


Remove one comma, and that would be a good mission statement for any crop farmer.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 49344
Location: Oundle
Catman wrote:
globus wrote:
Grow, maintain, live.


Remove one comma, and that would be a good mission statement for any crop farmer.

So what's your idea?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 49344
Location: Oundle
Try, Effort, Succeed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 49344
Location: Oundle
Go. On. Win.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 49344
Location: Oundle
Try. Invent. Produce.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 17895
Shut. Thefuck.Up


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 49344
Location: Oundle
backrow wrote:
Shut. Thefuck.Up

Not terribly creative nor useful. But that's an accurate description of you.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10282
Le. Weekend. Bitches


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 49344
Location: Oundle
Play. Avoid the backrow. Tackle.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:32 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Posts: 6561
Location: Stockholm
"Economics and finance is bullshit gambling and none of us really know what we're talking about so let's go to the pub and get shitfaced"

too long?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10129
Location: Mostly London........Mostly
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 49344
Location: Oundle
I do my best to derail.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14014
Location: Coalfalls
Jake wrote:
I want to come up with a snappier version of ‘Engaging with Durable Growth’ for a conference programme.

the French, who are hosting it, have come up with the above but:

1. It could, for non native eng speakers, be interpreted as consumer durables.
2. The Frogs don’t understand the difference between stability, durability and sustainability
3. The title is bland in any case.

All suggestions or piss takes welcome

Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:34 am
Posts: 13545
Le Exponentiel Increazing!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2903
backrow wrote:
Shut. Thefuck.Up

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15750
Location: We'll Never Forget You Geordan D'Arcy
Pursuing Sustainable Development/Growth.

PSG. That'll piss off the non-Parisien element nicely.

In pursuit of sustainable growth.

Viagra for the bone idle.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 49344
Location: Oundle
julian wrote:
backrow wrote:
Shut. Thefuck.Up

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Each to his own. I shall never understand why that is funny.

It's not. It's insulting. But maybe you have not had your nappy changed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 17895
globus wrote:
julian wrote:
backrow wrote:
Shut. Thefuck.Up

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Each to his own. I shall never understand why that is funny.

It's not. It's insulting. But maybe you have not had your nappy changed.


It’s because you ain’t funny.
I’ve been lolled quotes loads, and have a funny post of the year award , which you do not.
Being funny is often aligned with having empathy with other people, being terse, having good timing, and being relevant... again, not really something you appear to have.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 49344
Location: Oundle
backrow wrote:
globus wrote:
julian wrote:
backrow wrote:
Shut. Thefuck.Up

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Each to his own. I shall never understand why that is funny.

It's not. It's insulting. But maybe you have not had your nappy changed.


It’s because you ain’t funny.
I’ve been lolled quotes loads, and have a funny post of the year award , which you do not.
Being funny is often aligned with having empathy with other people, being terse, having good timing, and being relevant... again, not really something you appear to have.

Neither do you. You pump yourself up like a balloon. Then the air is expelled.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 1:00 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 37194
Location: in transit
Jake wrote:
I want to come up with a snappier version of ‘Engaging with Durable Growth’ for a conference programme.

the French, who are hosting it, have come up with the above but:

1. It could, for non native eng speakers, be interpreted as consumer durables.
2. The Frogs don’t understand the difference between stability, durability and sustainability
3. The title is bland in any case.

All suggestions or piss takes welcome


I've had another think. One word, two syllables... completely synonymous with expansion, Unlimited wealth, relatively unstoppable, instantly recognisable in the same way you can't get a really annoying ad out of your head.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you GlobusTM


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 1:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4272
Location: 'ertfordshire
globus wrote:
backrow wrote:
globus wrote:
julian wrote:
backrow wrote:
Shut. Thefuck.Up

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Each to his own. I shall never understand why that is funny.

It's not. It's insulting. But maybe you have not had your nappy changed.


It’s because you ain’t funny.
I’ve been lolled quotes loads, and have a funny post of the year award , which you do not.
Being funny is often aligned with having empathy with other people, being terse, having good timing, and being relevant... again, not really something you appear to have.

Neither do you. You pump yourself up like a balloon. Then the air is expelled.

Pot, kettle, black


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 1:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2903
globus wrote:
julian wrote:
backrow wrote:
Shut. Thefuck.Up

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Each to his own. I shall never understand why that is funny.

It's not. It's insulting. But maybe you have not had your nappy changed.


The management will change my nappy as I like. Each to his own.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 1:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:14 am
Posts: 3419
Writin Skillz: Building Career Durability in the Absence of Talent


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4443
Caley_Red wrote:
If you are talking about economic growth, 'durable' and 'sustainable' would be essentially the same- i.e. what growth can be supported given our current estimates of labor growth, technological prgress etc.

If it is economics, I've never heard the term 'durable' used to describe it unless it was an adjective along the lines of 'despite the regional recession, growth remained durable in country A'


Not strictly true.

There’s a hierarchy- stable, durable, sustainable. Durable means resistant to forces, sustainable able to continue. Slight difference.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4443
Some good suggestions, some decent banter....

None of it from Globby...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 49344
Location: Oundle
Jake wrote:
Some good suggestions, some decent banter....

None of it from Globby...

Thanks. I was in the middle of a horrid planning application, the Roland has got a bit weird. I thought you wanted ""Corporate Speak". I got that wrong.

Let's see what you come up with, as a solution. I've done this many times over the years.

Maybe my best was "Get The Abbey Habit".

I was ruddy annoyed not to go to Australia to see the parachute drop. I organised all that.

But that's corporate life.

I also got to send a lovely girl to Disneyland as part of prize winng competition, with her parents.

It's all lies, I tell you.

As many will erroneously testify.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 40417
globus wrote:
Jake wrote:
Some good suggestions, some decent banter....

None of it from Globby...

Thanks. I was in the middle of a horrid planning application, the Roland has got a bit weird. I thought you wanted ""Corporate Speak". I got that wrong.

Let's see what you come up with, as a solution. I've done this many times over the years.

Maybe my best was "Get The Abbey Habit".

I was ruddy annoyed not to go to Australia to see the parachute drop. I organised all that.

But that's corporate life.

I also got to send a lovely girl to Disneyland as part of prize winng competition, with her parents.

It's all lies, I tell you.

As many will erroneously testify.


Globus - Seriously why do you bother??


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: alliswell, anonymous_joe, comets, de_Selby, earl the beaver, El Homerino, Flyin Ryan, Google Adsense [Bot], guy smiley, Jensrsa, Laurent, Leinsterman, Mog The Almighty, Mr Mike, Olo, Petros, PornDog, Risteard, Rugby2023, Sards, SEAsianExpat, shabadoo, unseenwork, Uthikoloshe, ZappaMan and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group