Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:06 pm 

So, a starter for ten.

1. Duke ball to be used worldwide to redress the frequent imbalance between bat and ball.
2. The visiting captain chooses whether to bat or bowl - no toss - to reduce home advantage.

What do you think?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:21 pm 

Yeah s'alright.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:53 pm 

Better pitches to encourage stroke play and fast bowlers.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:57 pm 

Change the ball : :thumbup:

Remove the toss :thumbdown:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:21 pm 

4 day tests will be the begining of the end.
Here first

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:06 am 

c69 wrote:
Here first

I agree, especially in the UK and anywhere that tests are more likely to be curtailed by rain etc.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:07 am 

Masterji wrote:
Better pitches to encourage stroke play and fast bowlers.

Indeed, some of those baked drop-in things are like roads.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:24 am 

In the UK there hasn't been a single test on free to air TV since 2005. The last Ashes series was watched by two men and a dog.

Killing the game from top down

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:25 am 

Frodder wrote:
In the UK there hasn't been a single test on free to air TV since 2005. The last Ashes series was watched by two men and a dog.

Killing the game from top down

This more than anything else

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:28 am 

Agree on the toss thing but disagree about the ball. Its part of the quirk and there shouldn't be a level playing field totally for touring sides, it should always be a challenge going to the subcontintent or Australia for English teams, and vice versa for teams coming to the swing in England.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:52 am 

etherman wrote:
Agree on the toss thing but disagree about the ball. Its part of the quirk and there shouldn't be a level playing field totally for touring sides, it should always be a challenge going to the subcontintent or Australia for English teams, and vice versa for teams coming to the swing in England.

My point about the ball was not about a level playing field for touring sides, but rather the turgid play that can happen when the kookaburra, say, has gone soft and it's seam gone flat - nothing much for the bowler to work with and if the ball isn't coming on to the bat, not much for the batter either. The Duke seems to stay harder and it's seam more prominent for longer.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:57 am 

nuffsaid wrote:
etherman wrote:

My point about the ball was not about a level playing field for touring sides, but rather the turgid play that can happen when the kookaburra, say, has gone soft and it's seam gone flat - nothing much for the bowler to work with and if the ball isn't coming on to the bat, not much for the batter either. The Duke seems to stay harder and it's seam more prominent for longer.

True. However the issue England have is the opposite. Because the Dukes is so swing and bowler friendly why bother trying to chuck it down at 90+ mph, when you can diddle batsmen out with a few wobblers. If every country used them it might be the end of the real quicks.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:27 am 

nuffsaid wrote:
So, a starter for ten.

1. Duke ball to be used worldwide to redress the frequent imbalance between bat and ball.
2. The visiting captain chooses whether to bat or bowl - no toss - to reduce home advantage.

What do you think?

I like both proposals :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:34 am 

etherman wrote:
nuffsaid wrote:
etherman wrote:

True. However the issue England have is the opposite. Because the Dukes is so swing and bowler friendly why bother trying to chuck it down at 90+ mph, when you can diddle batsmen out with a few wobblers. If every country used them it might be the end of the real quicks.

Let's not go over the top on this. If you use a Duke ball most of the time in Australia or South Africa, you're not suddenly going to get the ball hooping for 60 overs in every match. Even in an English summer, there's still plenty of days where a Duke isn't going to do much other then just go dead straight. What you will get is a bit more seam movement, and actually a little bit more grip for the spinners. Obviously in India, a little bit less grip (they use the GS ball with the very wide seam).

Let's face it, once the Kookabirra has gone soft even the genuine quicks struggle to get anything out of it unless they're playing on trampoline.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:49 am 

Saint wrote:
etherman wrote:
nuffsaid wrote:
etherman wrote:

Let's not go over the top on this. If you use a Duke ball most of the time in Australia or South Africa, you're not suddenly going to get the ball hooping for 60 overs in every match. Even in an English summer, there's still plenty of days where a Duke isn't going to do much other then just go dead straight. What you will get is a bit more seam movement, and actually a little bit more grip for the spinners. Obviously in India, a little bit less grip (they use the GS ball with the very wide seam).

Let's face it, once the Kookabirra has gone soft even the genuine quicks struggle to get anything out of it unless they're playing on trampoline.

Perhaps, but Jonathan Trott was on the Sky podcat recently saying essentially we should use the Kookabura more in England, perhaps even in the county game, because especially in the early part of the season where most county games are squeezed, its mana for medium paced swingers. And English bolwers dont develop tactics for non swinging conditions. Broad was half way through his career before he developed a leg cutter that he could use in such conditions for example. And even for spinners, Tuffers and Swann were saying how english spinners were obsessed with perpendicular seam position for spinning the ball, when the likes of Ashwin, Murali etc bowl scrambled seams most the time as it gives them more natural variation. Sometimes the Dukes ball being more of a weapon for the bowler is counter productive.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:02 am 

Happy with both of those recommendations.

Tests like this - although very entertaining to see Kohli's slapped a**e face - are a bit of a joke really.

When England get to dictate the game, in their own conditions - it makes it a bit of a non event. Essentially it is a chance for the bowlers to boost their figures.

And it is the same when teams go to India. I think one test series involving NZ resulted in India winning the toss for almost every game and completely destroying any competition. India batted first on a road - racked up 400+ runs and then skittled NZ on wearing rank turners.

Give the visiting side a chance. We all know that England are good in home conditions, we all know that India are good in home conditions - even it up a bit.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:10 am 

etherman wrote:
Saint wrote:
etherman wrote:
nuffsaid wrote:
etherman wrote:

Perhaps, but Jonathan Trott was on the Sky podcat recently saying essentially we should use the Kookabura more in England, perhaps even in the county game, because especially in the early part of the season where most county games are squeezed, its mana for medium paced swingers. And English bolwers dont develop tactics for non swinging conditions. Broad was half way through his career before he developed a leg cutter that he could use in such conditions for example. And even for spinners, Tuffers and Swann were saying how english spinners were obsessed with perpendicular seam position for spinning the ball, when the likes of Ashwin, Murali etc bowl scrambled seams most the time as it gives them more natural variation. Sometimes the Dukes ball being more of a weapon for the bowler is counter productive.

I'd say that that's more of an argument to stop marginalising the county first class game by stuffing it all in at the start and end of the season. For me, the far greater concern is that by not playing first class cricket during the one part of the year where we have half a chance of a dry turning wicket we effectively destroy any chance of developing any sort of attacking spinners

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:18 am 

With you on that. No test cricket from mid June to august is also just weird.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:26 am 

How about the winner of the toss gets to choose either of which ball is used (Kookaburra or Duke), or to choose to bat or bowl - if they choose the ball, the other side get to choose to bat/bowl - and vice versa.

That'd be fun.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:30 am 

ovalball wrote:
How about the winner of the toss gets to choose either of which ball is used (Kookaburra or Duke), or to choose to bat or bowl - if they choose the ball, the other side get to choose to bat/bowl - and vice versa.

That'd be fun.

Haha - I like that!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:32 am 

Blake wrote:
ovalball wrote:

That'd be fun.

Haha - I like that!

You can either pick the ball or have access to DRS. :o

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:02 pm 

Quote:
When England get to dictate the game, in their own conditions - it makes it a bit of a non event. Essentially it is a chance for the bowlers to boost their figures.

I always find it amusing when Pakistan come to England they come far better prepared than India. Pakistan have drawn their last two series in England. No one else has managed to do that.

On the topic of preparation the ACB and ECB are looking in to ensuring that the visiting team are going to be better prepared in terms of warm up fixtures on future Ashes tours. We don't know if it will come in to play when Australia tour England next year. Boycott in one of the many post postmortems on BT after England's series loss at the start of the year said that the last time England had proper lead up games going in to the 1st test was in 2010-11 when they won the series convincingly. On the recent tour they played third string WA sides and CA XIs featuring kids that are just out of school not seasoned teams that consisted of first choice Shield players or the Australian XI with players knocking on the door of the test side (I remember those matches played in Hobart that were televised).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:46 pm 

Brumby_in_Vic wrote:
Quote:

I always find it amusing when Pakistan come to England they come far better prepared than India. Pakistan have drawn their last two series in England. No one else has managed to do that.

On the topic of preparation the ACB and ECB are looking in to ensuring that the visiting team are going to be better prepared in terms of warm up fixtures on future Ashes tours. We don't know if it will come in to play when Australia tour England next year. Boycott in one of the many post postmortems on BT after England's series loss at the start of the year said that the last time England had proper lead up games going in to the 1st test was in 2010-11 when they won the series convincingly. On the recent tour they played third string WA sides and CA XIs featuring kids that are just out of school not seasoned teams that consisted of first choice Shield players or the Australian XI with players knocking on the door of the test side (I remember those matches played in Hobart that were televised).

Would I be right in saying more Pakistani cricketers have come to play county cricket in England than Indians in recent years?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:59 pm 

Not sure. They are more available at the start of the season as I don't think they can play in the IPL.

County Cricket hasn't really benefited Pujara. He looks all at sea.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:02 pm 

Brumby_in_Vic wrote:
Not sure. They are more available at the start of the season as I don't think they can play in the IPL.

The look on his face when Jimmy bowled him :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:32 pm 

Brumby_in_Vic wrote:

Pujara doesn't just struggle in England - he struggles in any country not beginning with an "I". If he thinks dealing with Jimmy is tough, I shudder to think what he would have made of Wasim and Waquar.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:30 pm 

Gazzamonster wrote:

Tests like this - although very entertaining to see Kohli's slapped a**e face - are a bit of a joke really.

And it is the same when teams go to India. I think one test series involving NZ resulted in India winning the toss for almost every game and completely destroying any competition. India batted first on a road - racked up 400+ runs and then skittled NZ on wearing rank turners.

Give the visiting side a chance. We all know that England are good in home conditions, we all know that India are good in home conditions - even it up a bit.

Whinge whinge whinge. The biggest problem is awful test wickets that are absolute roads. Both sides here had equal opportunity to make use of the conditions but India went with a hail Mary selection of two spinners and despite having England in all sorts of bother in England's first innings weren't able to cash in.

The toss had absolutely nothing to do with this rout, every team benefits from playing in familiar conditions, and England's home record in recent years has been very mediocre. One big win and the usual suspects start complaining.

That was the best Test team in world cricket getting spanked and you're crying that it's just the conditions helping mighty England walk all over them.

When we get murdered by high quality spin bowling, I don't blame the wickets, I blame our lack of ability against high quality spin bowling.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:18 pm 

JM2K6 wrote:
Gazzamonster wrote:

Whinge whinge whinge. The biggest problem is awful test wickets that are absolute roads. Both sides here had equal opportunity to make use of the conditions but India went with a hail Mary selection of two spinners and despite having England in all sorts of bother in England's first innings weren't able to cash in.

The toss had absolutely nothing to do with this rout, every team benefits from playing in familiar conditions, and England's home record in recent years has been very mediocre. One big win and the usual suspects start complaining.

That was the best Test team in world cricket getting spanked and you're crying that it's just the conditions helping mighty England walk all over them.

When we get murdered by high quality spin bowling, I don't blame the wickets, I blame our lack of ability against high quality spin bowling.

Agreed, england made the most of very helpful conditions and India helped them with poor technique and temperament.

I have said for a while that the patience and technique required in tough batting conditions have largely dissapeared from the game - this is due to afew reasons such as T20, attitude and most wickets are batsmen friendly these days tailored in the name of the entertainment provided by lots of runs.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:22 pm 

JM2K6 wrote:
Gazzamonster wrote:

I’m certainly not whinging nor a usual suspect as far as I’m concerned. Often the toss is not a factor but to say it wasn’t influential in the Lords Test seems something of a stretch to say the least. Yes, India made bizarre selection decisions and had no meaningful preparation, but the second day was any batsman’s nightmare.

There is a serious debate about this as I’m sure you are aware. As in all debates there are at least two sides, but Test Cricket is struggling and cases for controllable change need careful consideration in my view. Yes, we need better wickets and yes we need a more sensible calendar - I have no current suggestions for how either might be achieved worldwide.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:38 pm 

Not you - Gazza has a long and storied history of eagerly awaiting English defeat on cricket threads :thumbup: It's absurd to make this about unfair conditions.

It was never easy batting on that wicket. England coped almost as poorly as India, and only Bairstow and Woakes really got them out of trouble, and India fell apart. It was a bowler's wicket the entire time, and despite that, 4/5 of the Indian bowlers went at more than 4 an over. They were piss poor. There's no way Sharma should've gone for 1-101 off 22. Are we pretending that it was magically a bowler's paradise on days 2 and 4 but a road on day 3?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:42 pm 

nuffsaid wrote:
c69 wrote:
Here first

I agree, especially in the UK and anywhere that tests are more likely to be curtailed by rain etc.
Just make it 360 Overs with a 5th spare day in case of rain/slow play.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:49 pm 

Anyway, the main problems affecting Test cricket, in no particular order:

1) Featherbed pitches
2) Lack of FTA in major markets, particularly the UK & Eire
3) Awful over rates
4) Corruption at the highest level and the India/Aus/England power-grab
5) Ridiculous ticket prices
6) A total lack of interest in really trying to encourage Test cricket in minor nations

the rest is by the by, really

(edited to add some)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:17 pm 

JM2K6 wrote:
Not you - Gazza has a long and storied history of eagerly awaiting English defeat on cricket threads :thumbup: It's absurd to make this about unfair conditions.

It was never easy batting on that wicket. England coped almost as poorly as India, and only Bairstow and Woakes really got them out of trouble, and India fell apart. It was a bowler's wicket the entire time, and despite that, 4/5 of the Indian bowlers went at more than 4 an over. They were piss poor. There's no way Sharma should've gone for 1-101 off 22. Are we pretending that it was magically a bowler's paradise on days 2 and 4 but a road on day 3?

On that wicket, in those conditions, unless the opposition turned up with Wasim, Waqar, Philander & Marshall then the current English team would fancy their chances. They have done the same to pretty much every touring team at some point in the last 8 years or so.

It is also no surprise when Australian bowlers are well suited to Australian conditions and Indian bowlers to Indian conditions etc.

Being able to overcome home advantage around the world marks out the truely great teams (WI, Australia) from the merely very good.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:04 am 

A5D5E5 wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:

On that wicket, in those conditions, unless the opposition turned up with Wasim, Waqar, Philander & Marshall then the current English team would fancy their chances. They have done the same to pretty much every touring team at some point in the last 8 years or so.

It is also no surprise when Australian bowlers are well suited to Australian conditions and Indian bowlers to Indian conditions etc.

Being able to overcome home advantage around the world marks out the truely great teams (WI, Australia) from the merely very good.

That'll come as a big surprise to Pakistan, the Windies, the Saffers, Sri Lanka, and NZ who've all beaten us in Tests in England in favourable swinging conditions in the last 5 years.

Certainly the English bowlers fancy their chances, but the English batsmen are not exactly world class against the swinging ball.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:05 am 

JM2K6 wrote:

1) Featherbed pitches
3) Awful over rates
6) A total lack of interest in really trying to encourage Test cricket in minor nations

(edited to add some)

Ticket prices aren't that bad - cheaper than a couple of hours at Twickers.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:06 am 

ovalball wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:

1) Featherbed pitches
3) Awful over rates

(edited to add some)

They don't represent value for money given how slow the play is, and I'm not just talking about England, either.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:13 am 

JM2K6 wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:

That'll come as a big surprise to Pakistan, the Windies, the Saffers, Sri Lanka, and NZ who've all beaten us in Tests in England in favourable swinging conditions in the last 5 years.

Certainly the English bowlers fancy their chances, but the English batsmen are not exactly world class against the swinging ball.

Thing is - it doesn't always swing or seam in England. Had the tests been played during late June and July - the ball would have only swung for a few overs of the new ball. I doubt any of the nations you mentioned would have fared much better, at Lords, in the same conditions.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:16 am 

JM2K6 wrote:
ovalball wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:

1) Featherbed pitches
3) Awful over rates

(edited to add some)

They don't represent value for money given how slow the play is, and I'm not just talking about England, either.

That's a matter of opinion - I would heartliy disagree with you and say they are extremely good value. You could get adult tickets for the 1st day at Edgbaston for £29, Juniors for next to nothing. Brilliant value.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:29 am 

ovalball wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:

Thing is - it doesn't always swing or seam in England. Had the tests been played during late June and July - the ball would have only swung for a few overs of the new ball. I doubt any of the nations you mentioned would have fared much better, at Lords, in the same conditions.

Except several of those teams have played us early in the season, when it's very conducive to swing bowling, and beaten us.

India could've beaten us, but fucked up in multiple areas. We're not unbeatable in those conditions, we're just practiced at exploiting them. Our batsmen are not brilliant against the moving ball, as we proved until rescued (again) by our middle/lower order fightback and India's disastrous lack of spine.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:08 am 

Needs more beer wenches in skimpy outfits. That will improve the crowds.