Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 910 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Eng Vs India Test Series
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:07 pm 

"Adil Rashid has been named as England's only spin bowler for the first Test match against India at Edgbaston on Wednesday." BBC

Michael Vaughan will be livid.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:40 pm 

Joe Root (capt), James Anderson, Jonny Bairstow (wk), Stuart Broad, Jos Buttler, Alastair Cook, Sam Curran, Keaton Jennings, Dawid Malan, Adil Rashid, Ben Stokes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:54 pm 

Jaysus lads, what will the lineup look like?

Batting looks a tad brittle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:57 pm 

There are only 11 names in the post immediately above yours, posted 14 minutes before yours.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:59 pm 

Big Nipper wrote:

Jennings
Cook
Root
Malan
Bairstow
Stokes
Buttler
Curran
Rashid
Broad
Anderson

I'd imagine. I'd be more worried about the attack. The line up has batting depth if not quality. Stokes has been in indifferent form. Rashid last held a redball in about 2007 or something. Curran isnt shaving yet and Broad goes between world beater to meh. So it may be down to Jimmy again.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:08 pm 

Jennings aside, who looks a bit average to me, I don't mind the batting line up.

If the ball is nipping about then our attack should look great. However flat deck and the sun out I'd be concerned. There is a bit of variety there - left arm from Curran, leg spin from Rashid - but there's no real pace and that Indian batting order has some real class in it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:14 pm 

etherman wrote:
Big Nipper wrote:

Jennings
Cook
Root
Malan
Bairstow
Stokes
Buttler
Curran
Rashid
Broad
Anderson

I'd imagine. I'd be more worried about the attack. The line up has batting depth if not quality. Stokes has been in indifferent form. Rashid last held a redball in about 2007 or something. Curran isnt shaving yet and Broad goes between world beater to meh. So it may be down to Jimmy again.

The bowling attack is very thin. Both Anderson and Broad don't seem to threaten any more. Stokes has only just resumed bowling due to injury. Rashid hasn't bowled a red ball for over a year and Curran is a medium pacer.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:18 pm 

I'd like to see them go the Duncan Fletcher route - start bringing through a few of the genuinely quick young bowlers and build them into test players. I know Jofra Archer has a way to go to qualify, but he looks like a great prospect. There are a few others knocking around. Jamie Overton was apparently lightning last week and at 6ft5 has the height to be awkward with it. Garton has been talked about, and as a left armer too that makes him doubly interesting. Saqib Mahmood? Never seen him but hear he's pretty rapid. Olly Stone is up there for pace. I'd rather we tested a few of these guys out, especially when we have an attack where there is an extra seamer in Stokes to protect them somewhat, rather than persist with 80-85mph bowlers who will look good on a cloudy day in England but struggle in other conditions.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:31 pm 

penguin wrote:
I'd like to see them go the Duncan Fletcher route - start bringing through a few of the genuinely quick young bowlers and build them into test players. I know Jofra Archer has a way to go to qualify, but he looks like a great prospect. There are a few others knocking around. Jamie Overton was apparently lightning last week and at 6ft5 has the height to be awkward with it. Garton has been talked about, and as a left armer too that makes him doubly interesting. Saqib Mahmood? Never seen him but hear he's pretty rapid. Olly Stone is up there for pace. I'd rather we tested a few of these guys out, especially when we have an attack where there is an extra seamer in Stokes to protect them somewhat, rather than persist with 80-85mph bowlers who will look good on a cloudy day in England but struggle in other conditions.

Getting someone who can stay fit would be a start. Wood, Finn, Ball are all made of paper. Overton, seems to have disappeared off the radar of selectors after 3 tests where the team was getting humped. No one's challenging Branderson.

Long term obviously developing quick bowlers should be a priority, but then when wasn't it?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:38 pm 

etherman wrote:
penguin wrote:

Getting someone who can stay fit would be a start. Wood, Finn, Ball are all made of paper. Overton, seems to have disappeared off the radar of selectors after 3 tests where the team was getting humped. No one's challenging Branderson.

Long term obviously developing quick bowlers should be a priority, but then when wasn't it?

Sure, it's rarely a case where we are stocked with quicks, but they seem to be running through the 80-85mph options rather than the ones with the potential for higher.

Craig Overton got a few caps (and did well to be fair) but he's an 85mph bowler, whereas his brother is an admittedly more injury prone 90mph+ one. It would definitely involve some protection, and the fact that Stokes is not fully fit to bowl does hamper that, but a risk worth taking when he can take more of the burden.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:40 pm 

Mahoney wrote:
There are only 11 names in the post immediately above yours, posted 14 minutes before yours.

Was talking about the batting lineup sir

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:46 pm 

Agree about that bowling lineup.

So is Woakes completely lost his chance to play test match cricket again?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:49 pm 

Fair enough, sorry, unnecessarily confrontational.

Batting doesn't look as bad as it has done - at least there's one fewer walking wickets in Jennings & Buttler as opposed to Stoneman & Vince, & Stokes back helps at least until he's at HM's pleasure. Curran & Rashid can hold a bat. Doesn't have quite the same "get Cook & Root & the innings is over" feeling that we've had recently.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:49 pm 

Big Nipper wrote:
Agree about that bowling lineup.

So is Woakes completely lost his chance to play test match cricket again?

I don't think so. The little I've seen of him this season he seems to be on old-Woakes settings - 85mph - rather than before injury when he was normally above 88mph, occasionally above 90, enough to make a difference. That said I think he'll be back. He's only 29, and of course bats well. Just needs to find that extra yard of nip and he'll be right back in the reckoning.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:00 pm 

Myabe they need to just blood young lads quick and get them out of the county cricket drudgery, where injury and medium pace awaits. That Coad lad looked the shizzle and hes 24 already.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:02 pm 

etherman wrote:
Myabe they need to just blood young lads quick and get them out of the county cricket drudgery, where injury and medium pace awaits. That Coad lad looked the shizzle and hes 24 already.

It has worked well for us Saffers, Ngidi and Rabada are killing it right now

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:06 pm 

Does Lillee still have that bowling school in india where everyone used to go?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:08 pm 

What happened to the double barreled named bowler who had a few tests last year and then broke? Still broken? (Sorry, name escapes me atmo). He looked decent

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:09 pm 

Big Nipper wrote:
etherman wrote:

Rabada is class every time I see him play. Very fortunate with that one.

Etherman - I think you're right - the county circuit is still not a great arena to breed or even evaluate pace bowlers. Some 80mph bloke who lives on a length is going to take bucket loads, and the genuine quick might be picking up scraps comparatively when it comes to the number of overs. Perhaps T20 has helped - genuine pace perhaps gets more of a look in - maybe why there are a few more coming through at the moment?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:10 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
What happened to the double barreled named bowler who had a few tests last year and then broke? Still broken? (Sorry, name escapes me atmo). He looked decent

Yeah he completely manshamed us in the 3rd test....

:blush:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:11 pm 

Big Nipper wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

I was as there, which makes it more annoying that I can't remember his bloody name.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:13 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
Big Nipper wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

I was as there, which makes it more annoying that I can't remember his bloody name.

Toblerone? Toby Roland-Jones

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:15 pm 

penguin wrote:
Big Nipper wrote:
etherman wrote:

Etherman - I think you're right - the county circuit is still not a great arena to breed or even evaluate pace bowlers. Some 80mph bloke who lives on a length is going to take bucket loads, and the genuine quick might be picking up scraps comparatively when it comes to the number of overs. Perhaps T20 has helped - genuine pace perhaps gets more of a look in - maybe why there are a few more coming through at the moment?

Of the clips of young uns I've seen the Garton left hander looked most interesting. Defintely quick but not that tall.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:15 pm 

Jennings is a wicket waiting to happen and Malan is not much better.

Cook needs to score big but good to see UFC Stokes out there

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:20 pm 

Bin Malan and put Moeen Ali in there - better balance.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:22 pm 

NickC wrote:
Bin Malan and put Moeen Ali in there - better balance.

I'd love to see Mo back. But he's not been batting to top order standards in Tests for a while. And then youve got Bairstow, Stokes and Mo batting from 4 down. All with other jobs to do. And if India go big in the first innigs they'll all be F*cked.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:22 pm 

etherman wrote:
penguin wrote:
Big Nipper wrote:
etherman wrote:

Of the clips of young uns I've seen the Garton left hander looked most interesting. Defintely quick but not that tall.

I haven't see him, but left arm quick is a great combination to balance out an attack. The one I've watched a couple of times is Archer. He has a super-languid action - you just can't believe he just crunched someone's toes at 93mph.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:31 pm 

penguin wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
Big Nipper wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

That's the lad. What news of him?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:31 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
penguin wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
Big Nipper wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

That's the lad. What news of him?

Out for the season I think.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:33 pm 

He's got a dislocated butler. Nasty.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:35 pm 

These Curran lads would want to concentrate on their batting. If they can get to Test quality 6 or 7's with the bat then they'll be useful. Otherwise they'll be Mark Elham with a better haircut.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:37 pm 

etherman wrote:

It can be a career ending injury Sir.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:48 pm 

Openside's Butler wrote:
etherman wrote:

It can be a career ending injury Sir.

One cannot Tiffin on one's own.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:47 pm 

I read they have been pouring much water onto the outfield in recent times so the wicket may not be as dry as one might think. I fear Rashid might be embarrassed here if India bat long - not enough bowling cover to hide him. How long is it since he bowled with a proper cricket ball?

Hope Stokes can stay focussed in the light of his case opening next week, but I suspect he will be able to - might well be a welcome distraction :|

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:56 pm 

There's always Jade Dernbach...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:02 am 

I see it is overcast at Edgbaston

Surely still win the toss and bat 1st?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:33 am 

Big Nipper wrote:
I see it is overcast at Edgbaston

Surely still win the toss and bat 1st?

Astoundingly India have NEVER won a test match at Edgbaston. Assuming that its the most swingy of venues being the reason. Now I feel like having a flutter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:43 am 

Root wins toss and elects to bat, Kohli said he'd bowl, but he would wouldnt he? But still thats a big call when its swinging conditions. Wonder what Jimmy makes of that call. England to be 50/3 by noon.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:45 am 

etherman wrote:
Root wins toss and elects to bat, Kohli said he'd bowl, but he would wouldnt he? But still thats a big call when its swinging conditions. Wonder what Jimmy makes of that call. England to be 50/3 by noon.

My guess is 60/4 by lunch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:57 am 

Eh, Michael Vaughan..."India's batting is packed with right handers, they had to go with Adil Rashid rather than Moeen Ali." But...but...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 910 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next