Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Your Favourite red card
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:01 pm 

I was reminded off this one the other day.

Our scrum half was a spiky little tw*t and also a bit tasty (as he was a MMA fighter too) and sparked the opposition hooker out. Our prop then stands over the body of the prone hooker and starts counting him out boxing ref style 1 ah 2 ah 3 ah and was promptly shown a straight red and our scrum half got away scott free.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:03 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:06 pm 

Never had one. No cards when I played. The ref just pointed to the changing room.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:07 pm 

When I got sent off for blasphemy.

The ref was a monk tbf.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:07 pm 

Sounds a bit dickish tbh. If the guy is out cold like that he could be seriously hurt. And I can only assume the referee thought your prop was the one who laid him out.

I never got a red card, but I played in a match where the opposition team got three or four reds and a handful of yellows. It was a great refereeing performance. They were a bunch of absolute thugs and fuckwits.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:18 pm 

happyhooker wrote:

The ref was a monk tbf.

Got to say, that's a beezer!

I was playing in a charity hockey match. The late Bishop Launcelot Fleming hacked me down with his stick.

I turned and sadly uttered an expletive. He just looked at me and said "Bless you my son"!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:58 pm 

I played in 2 games where the ref got talked out of a red card after giving one. First was when our prop punched the opposition hooker, straight red until the hooker said it was fair enough and only a punch, not worthy of a red - ref changed his mind and let our prop back on.

Second was a 2 yellow job for our flanker. I was skipper and suggested to the ref that although it was 2 yellows, losing a player wasn't really in the spirit of the match, so he let him come back on.

Funniest I've seen was watching my dad who had a vicar in his team. The opposition captain and ref came into the changing room before the game and explained that the opposing prop was deaf and so would sometimes play on after the whistle until he realised the game had stopped. Anyway, during the game the priest laid him out after the whistle to cries of indignation from both sides and got his marching orders. As he stomped out he shouted, "he might be deaf, but he knows when he's f**king offside"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:42 pm 

Was watching our 3rds a few years ago ..

I centre and flanker got done for "crossing in defence", the openside looked confused.. got shown a yellow card..

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:56 pm 

slick wrote:
I played in 2 games where the ref got talked out of a red card after giving one. First was when our prop punched the opposition hooker, straight red until the hooker said it was fair enough and only a punch, not worthy of a red - ref changed his mind and let our prop back on.

Second was a 2 yellow job for our flanker. I was skipper and suggested to the ref that although it was 2 yellows, losing a player wasn't really in the spirit of the match, so he let him come back on.

Funniest I've seen was watching my dad who had a vicar in his team. The opposition captain and ref came into the changing room before the game and explained that the opposing prop was deaf and so would sometimes play on after the whistle until he realised the game had stopped. Anyway, during the game the priest laid him out after the whistle to cries of indignation from both sides and got his marching orders. As he stomped out he shouted, "he might be deaf, but he knows when he's f**king offside"

Brilliant!

I've already told the tale of my "incident" with a certain back-rower.

Got sent off twice. That's possibly unusual for a 10.

Both deserved the hammering they got.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:00 pm 

globus wrote:
slick wrote:

Brilliant!

3 times

http://forum.planetrugby.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=75444&p=4468577&hilit=marching+orders+globus#p4468577

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:05 pm 

blindcider wrote:
globus wrote:
slick wrote:

Brilliant!

3 times

http://forum.planetrugby.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=75444&p=4468577&hilit=marching+orders+globus#p4468577

:lol: :lol: .....and yet another one
Must have been the concussion from the hit by the Thurrock 7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:17 pm 

So glad to hear from my fan club.

Hope you are well fellas.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:17 pm 

I once got sent off after a school match (we had won handsomely, incidentally). The ref (theirs) didn't have a clue what he was doing and was just making it up as he went along - he didn't particularly enjoy me calling him out on it and gave me a post-match red for my troubles, causing me huge grief at school on the Monday after. All he had to do was learn a few laws, FFS.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:55 pm 

Keith wrote:
I once got sent off after a school match (we had won handsomely, incidentally). The ref (theirs) didn't have a clue what he was doing and was just making it up as he went along - he didn't particularly enjoy me calling him out on it and gave me a post-match red for my troubles, causing me huge grief at school on the Monday after. All he had to do was learn a few laws, FFS.

I have had quite a few occasions when players complained to me that the referee didn't know the laws. In the vast majority of the cases I was able to point out that the referee actually knew the laws better than they did.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:13 pm 

OB.. wrote:
Keith wrote:

I have had quite a few occasions when players complained to me that the referee didn't know the laws. In the vast majority of the cases I was able to point out that the referee actually knew the laws better than they did.

Hi OB. To be fair, in our days it was pretty simple. I never, ever, moaned at the ref. We had a shocker against Gresham. But you just chew your gums. But there is some respite. He bought me a pint!

Hope you are OK. Really nice to see you posting.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:52 pm 

OB.. wrote:
Keith wrote:

He was a PE Teacher, not a qualified ref. He even did hand signals in the opposite direction, a la football.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:23 pm 

blindcider wrote:
globus wrote:
slick wrote:

Brilliant!

3 times

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:31 pm 

Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
Keith wrote:
OB.. wrote:
Keith wrote:

He was a PE Teacher, not a qualified ref. He even did hand signals in the opposite direction, a la football.

So he was someone just helping out - not qualified but doing the best he can and you still had to go on about it in the clubrooms.

He got something right then, didn't he?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:59 am 

Can't really say I've got a favourite red card, but on a related note I reffed my boy a few weeks ago in U7's. At that age they play touch, not tackle. He thought he'd scored a try, but I called him back to play the touch. At halftime as we were walking off he screamed at me "I wasn't touched" and punched me in the gut. I should have carded the little shit.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:14 am 

none of the red cards I gave out were favourite - as a long time player I had a large amount of sympathy towards a bit of robust play. Outright thuggery was never acceptable.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:15 am 

happyhooker wrote:

The ref was a monk tbf.

Don't use the Lord's name in vain.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:17 am 

James Graham biting Billy Slater's ear in an NRL grand final. Massive Graham fan but he was lucky not to get a life ban. Cost me a few quid at the TAB that plum act did too :x

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:49 am 

Keith wrote:

You sound like the type of person we don't want involved in our game.

Last edited by Sundy on Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:03 am 

mojo wrote:
Can't really say I've got a favourite red card, but on a related note I reffed my boy a few weeks ago in U7's. At that age they play touch, not tackle. He thought he'd scored a try, but I called him back to play the touch. At halftime as we were walking off he screamed at me "I wasn't touched" and punched me in the gut. I should have carded the little shit.

:lol:

My boy plays in the U8's and his 11yo brother often runs the line. A few weeks ago my youngest put a foot into touch and almost had to be physically separated from his brother who was holding the flag aloft.

"THIS IS JUST LIKE WHEN WE PLAY FORTNITE. YOU'RE ALWAYS CHEATING!!!"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:19 am 

My friend and fellow prop was red carded for biting/headbutting/attacking the ref's arm. In all honesty I think the Ref timed blowing a penalty and signaling in order to hit my buddy in the face.

Ref used it as an excuse to send him off because my friend had probably spent most of the 50min up to that point pissing the Ref off by chirping, questioning every decision, dropping scrums, and being a doos the whole game.

None of us blamed the Ref 😂, buddy was a real plonker the whole game. His dad was coach so was never going to be subbd.

Great guy off the field though 👍🏼

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:10 am 

Thomas wrote:
mojo wrote:

My boy plays in the U8's and his 11yo brother often runs the line. A few weeks ago my youngest put a foot into touch and almost had to be physically separated from his brother who was holding the flag aloft.

God help me if my kids ever get to officiate for each other, they fight enough as it is!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:21 am 

mojo wrote:
Thomas wrote:
mojo wrote:

God help me if my kids ever get to officiate for each other, they fight enough as it is!

TBH I think my oldest kid is jealous. My youngest, despite appearing somewhat disinterested at training, is a machine on the field.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:26 am 

Not exactly a red card story (but only because the situation precipitated an all out brawl which got the game abandoned, but would have surely have been two red cards had chaos not descended).

It was my first game at youth level (lock). My mate (prop) and I had been dragged up from U16 level to fill out the team. We were playing Ynysbwl, a more wretched hive of scum and villainy you could not wish to meet. We were 30 minutes in, and the game had been tasty up to that point, and no more so than in the scrum.

The opposition had picked my mate as being a bit young, and had gone after him in a succession of scrums. He however was blessed with a strong back and good technique, so they started to get increasingly frustrated. A scrum collapsed on about the 22 after some attempted skulduggery, and when the packs all stood up, my mate was smirking. This obviously pushed the opposition hooker over the edge, and without warning he landed a massive punch right on the button of my mate.

He went down like a sack of spuds. There was a stunned silence. Then our hooker, without warning, landed an even bigger punch right on the button of the opposition hooker. He went down like a sack of spuds. There was another stunned silence...and then all hell broke loose.

I won't bore anyone with the particulars of the brawl, other than to say I, remarkably, managed to get away unscathed, even though I was right in the middle of it...and the brawl had such energy, that it started on the opposition 22, but ended on ours. After about 2 minutes of all out war, the ref blew his whistle 3 times, and walked off.

The first time I was ever involved in an abandoned game due to fighting.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:38 am 

Try playing the Met at Imber.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:57 am 

Late in the semi-final of an 35-over tournament, our first five dribbled the ball into their ingoal and dived for the try. I was a yard or two behind him in case the ball bounced oddly, when one of the oppo tried to fly hack the ball and from behind, it looked as if the boot made contact with our first five, who fell to the floor. I drove through, grabbed the offender, and brought my knee up into his gut. He too dropped instantly. I was red carded -- no argument -- but the real bitch was that there had been no contact and our first five called me a plum for hitting the guy.

This was the semi-final and I was banned from the final. Then the other finalist refused to take the field in protest at my rough play so we won it by default.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:01 am 

Jeff the Bear wrote:
Not exactly a red card story (but only because the situation precipitated an all out brawl which got the game abandoned, but would have surely have been two red cards had chaos not descended).

It was my first game at youth level (lock). My mate (prop) and I had been dragged up from U16 level to fill out the team. We were playing Ynysbwl, a more wretched hive of scum and villainy you could not wish to meet. We were 30 minutes in, and the game had been tasty up to that point, and no more so than in the scrum.

The opposition had picked my mate as being a bit young, and had gone after him in a succession of scrums. He however was blessed with a strong back and good technique, so they started to get increasingly frustrated. A scrum collapsed on about the 22 after some attempted skulduggery, and when the packs all stood up, my mate was smirking. This obviously pushed the opposition hooker over the edge, and without warning he landed a massive punch right on the button of my mate.

He went down like a sack of spuds. There was a stunned silence. Then our hooker, without warning, landed an even bigger punch right on the button of the opposition hooker. He went down like a sack of spuds. There was another stunned silence...and then all hell broke loose.

I won't bore anyone with the particulars of the brawl, other than to say I, remarkably, managed to get away unscathed, even though I was right in the middle of it...and the brawl had such energy, that it started on the opposition 22, but ended on ours. After about 2 minutes of all out war, the ref blew his whistle 3 times, and walked off.

I've only played in one game that was abandoned due to fighting. We were leading 38-5 at the time and the ref blew the whistle with 10 to go and awarded us the match and hightailed it in his car.

My yappy gob was the catalyst. A scrum was blown and I picked the ball up. A monstrously fat prop with obvious outlaw motorcycle club connections knocked the ball out of my hands. I said "Settle down, Fatty" and the next thing I knew I was face down on the grass. Guy had punched me from behind. Our winger, a large Samoan bouncer, came flying in and started settling the score. After that every ruck blew up into a fistfight. Well, that's what my mates told me. I spent the rest of the game wandering aimlessly in the midfield unsure of where I was.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:06 am 

Sandstorm wrote:

Is this the Lions series?
Definitely mine too. I just wanted the series to go to a decider.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:07 am 

Jeff the Bear wrote:
Ynysbwl

May I ask how that is even pronounced?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:43 am 

TheSmurf wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:
Ynysbwl

May I ask how that is even pronounced?

Sorry, missed out a y there. It's actually spelt Ynysybwl.

Un-iss-uh-bull

The Un is the sound at the end of 'hun'.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:30 am 

Cheers. Very strange interesting language.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:36 am 

My Auntie was called Ynys :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:32 am 

Thomas wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:

I've only played in one game that was abandoned due to fighting. We were leading 38-5 at the time and the ref blew the whistle with 10 to go and awarded us the match and hightailed it in his car.

My yappy gob was the catalyst. A scrum was blown and I picked the ball up. A monstrously fat prop with obvious outlaw motorcycle club connections knocked the ball out of my hands. I said "Settle down, Fatty" and the next thing I knew I was face down on the grass. Guy had punched me from behind. Our winger, a large Samoan bouncer, came flying in and started settling the score. After that every ruck blew up into a fistfight. Well, that's what my mates told me. I spent the rest of the game wandering aimlessly in the midfield unsure of where I was.

Only game I played in that was abandoned by the ref was against Kingston. I assume they have cleaned up their act since but they were dirty plum during that game, loads of off the ball cheap shots. We were thumping them on the scoreboard and the ref after latest dust up just walked off the field saying he had better things to do with his Saturday. First time as skipper I had ordered everyone to get changed and not spend a penny in their clubhouse

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:45 am 

Jeff the Bear wrote:

Not been to Bedlinog then. That was carnage for a soft city team from Cardiff. They just wanted to batter the f**k out of us. No one knows the score but it was 2 red card to 1 to them withnumerous yellows. Absolute bloody lovely off the pitch mind.

Another one that springs to mind was a our lock was rightly red carded and was walking off when their 2nd row started chipping away at him. Our bloke turns on him draws his fist back in a feint punch and their locks knees just went and he fell to to the ground in fear :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:57 am 

danny_fitz wrote:
not spend a penny in their clubhouse

Very Scottish of you.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:59 am 

happyhooker wrote:

The ref was a monk tbf.

Funny you should say that, when i was playing under 19's our team was penalised when one of the boys said Jesus Christ. He got penalised for taking the lords name in vain. I told the ref that wasn't a rule and got sent off. :lol:

(He was brethren) :roll: