Planet Rugby Forum
http://forum.planetrugby.com/

The Unusual Maps Thread
http://forum.planetrugby.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1628
Page 1 of 43

Author:  etherman [ Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:26 am ]
Post subject:  The Unusual Maps Thread

A few to kick us off.

Journey of the Odyssey
Image
Image

Image

Image
This map charts the rich variety of waterflow toponyms in the US, which reflects the climatological and geographical diversity of the country, but also its linguistic and historical heritage. River names seem extremely resistant to change, and indeed often are echoes of earlier dominant cultures [1].
About the above. The colours on the map, which is based on the place names in the USGS National Hydrography Dataset, correspond to the generic toponyms for waterflows, excluding the two commonest ones (river and creek, rendered in gray).

Kabballah Tree of Life Map. (fudge knows)
Image

Image

Twitter Posts Map
Image

The Universe. Thanks to apposite:
http://images.4channel.org/f/src/589217 ... hanced.swf

Author:  Ballwrinkle [ Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:32 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The Unusual Maps Thread

The twitter one is depressing because it shows that virtually every numbnut in the UK is posting. I'm sure a facebook map would show similar results.

Meanwhile Ive just seen on the news that 50% of kids don't get GCSE maths. GCSE is so f**king basic its laughable and half of 16 olds here don't pass it. But they can post on Twitter with ease. That's great.

Author:  etherman [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:59 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The Unusual Maps Thread

Image

Author:  etherman [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Unusual Maps Thread

Map of mans movements on the Moon overlaid on a chavball pitch for scale:

Image

Author:  camroc1 [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Unusual Maps Thread

The Matrimonial Map

Image

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 46547.html

Author:  etherman [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Unusual Maps Thread

Nabokovs Map of the wanderings of Leopold Bloom:

Image

Author:  etherman [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:10 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Unusual Maps Thread

Image

Author:  etherman [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:11 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Unusual Maps Thread

Image

Author:  etherman [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Unusual Maps Thread

Map of Humanity (apparently)

Image

Author:  etherman [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Unusual Maps Thread

Arguably one of the most important maps ever drawn. John Snows map of Cholera deaths in Soho, congregating around a particular water pump.

Spoiler: show
Image


Here's a little Cholera animation.

Image

Author:  etherman [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Unusual Maps Thread

'Mon tae fudge guys. More maps! :evil:

Author:  amadangomor [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Unusual Maps Thread

What the Dutch planned to take from Germany after WW2

Image

http://bigthink.com/ideas/21114

Author:  amadangomor [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Unusual Maps Thread

Probably posted on the old board

Spoiler: show
Image

Author:  etherman [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Unusual Maps Thread

Yep, but well worth posting again! :thumbup:

Live train map in and out of birmingham, if you like that kind of thing:

http://traintimes.org.uk/map/

Author:  GDBFC99 [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Unusual Maps Thread

French rugby map

Image

Original (much bigger and readable) file in spoiler

Spoiler: show
Image

Author:  amadangomor [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:08 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Unusual Maps Thread

Image

Author:  easyray [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Unusual Maps Thread

amadangomor wrote:
Probably posted on the old board

Spoiler: show
Image



I'm reading the book 'Fatherland' by Robert Harris at the moment and that map is very similar to his description of the Greater German Reich in the book.

Author:  Flyin Ryan [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Unusual Maps Thread

etherman wrote:
A few to kick us off.

Journey of the Odyssey
Image


should've hired a better navigator (rimshot)

Quote:
Image
This map charts the rich variety of waterflow toponyms in the US, which reflects the climatological and geographical diversity of the country, but also its linguistic and historical heritage. River names seem extremely resistant to change, and indeed often are echoes of earlier dominant cultures [1].
About the above. The colours on the map, which is based on the place names in the USGS National Hydrography Dataset, correspond to the generic toponyms for waterflows, excluding the two commonest ones (river and creek, rendered in gray).


cool

my area's the unromantic sounding swamp

Author:  tabascoboy [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Unusual Maps Thread

Image

Author:  tabascoboy [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Unusual Maps Thread

Image

Author:  Angry_Bull [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Unusual Maps Thread

This is pretty awesome!

http://goldns.ru/cppmap-2012.png

Author:  Leffe [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:11 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Unusual Maps Thread

Image

Author:  Blindsider47 [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Unusual Maps Thread

Image

Author:  Leffe [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Unusual Maps Thread

Blindsider47 wrote:
Image

This map is bullshit; Canada is pretty much the same size as the USA.

Author:  Snooze [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Unusual Maps Thread

Leffe wrote:
Blindsider47 wrote:
Image

This map is bullshit; Canada is pretty much the same size as the USA.


It's bigger by a long shot. Look at the Northern parts of Canada, it's very wide and vast.

Author:  ZappaMan [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Unusual Maps Thread

Am I being whooshed? It's a comparative GDP map.

I'm being whooshed :blush:

Author:  Ballwrinkle [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Unusual Maps Thread

Snooze wrote:
Leffe wrote:
Blindsider47 wrote:
Image

This map is bullshit; Canada is pretty much the same size as the USA.


It's bigger by a long shot. Look at the Northern parts of Canada, it's very wide and vast.


Canada is much much bigger than the USA. Probably only Americans don't know that.

Author:  danthemanMunster [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Unusual Maps Thread

Ballwrinkle wrote:
Snooze wrote:
Leffe wrote:
Blindsider47 wrote:
Image

This map is bullshit; Canada is pretty much the same size as the USA.


It's bigger by a long shot. Look at the Northern parts of Canada, it's very wide and vast.


Canada is much much bigger than the USA. Probably only Americans don't know that.


Canada: Total area (sq km) 9,984,670

USA: Total area (sq km) 9,526,468

According to britannica.com

Author:  Cossax [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Unusual Maps Thread

Presume it's GDP/GNP rather than size.

Author:  springtide [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Unusual Maps Thread

danthemanMunster wrote:
Ballwrinkle wrote:
Snooze wrote:
Leffe wrote:
Blindsider47 wrote:
Image

This map is bullshit; Canada is pretty much the same size as the USA.


It's bigger by a long shot. Look at the Northern parts of Canada, it's very wide and vast.


Canada is much much bigger than the USA. Probably only Americans don't know that.


Canada: Total area (sq km) 9,984,670

USA: Total area (sq km) 9,526,468

According to britannica.com


I think it relates to population or maybe GDP? That's why I go mad when people post graphs without defining the axis.

Author:  danthemanMunster [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Unusual Maps Thread

A quick google search suggests GDP comparison. Pretty interesting representation.

Author:  Huesos [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Unusual Maps Thread

It is, though Brazil's GDP is about twice NY's.

Author:  Snooze [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Unusual Maps Thread

danthemanMunster wrote:

Canada: Total area (sq km) 9,984,670

USA: Total area (sq km) 9,526,468

According to britannica.com


Jaysus, that surprises me. I never bothered to check, I just know Canada is the 2nd largest in the world. One earthquake around here could change that.

Author:  Flyin Ryan [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Unusual Maps Thread

Snooze wrote:
danthemanMunster wrote:

Canada: Total area (sq km) 9,984,670

USA: Total area (sq km) 9,526,468

According to britannica.com


Jaysus, that surprises me. I never bothered to check, I just know Canada is the 2nd largest in the world. One earthquake around here could change that.


When people think of size they typically just think the lower 48 and don't consider Alaska (largest state by size).

Author:  springtide [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Unusual Maps Thread

Snooze wrote:
danthemanMunster wrote:

Canada: Total area (sq km) 9,984,670

USA: Total area (sq km) 9,526,468

According to britannica.com


Jaysus, that surprises me. I never bothered to check, I just know Canada is the 2nd largest in the world. One earthquake around here could change that.


problem is the rectangular map that distorts the poles and enlargens them beyond what they in reality would be. Therefore Russia and Canada look even bigger than they really are.

Author:  OB.. [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Unusual Maps Thread

Flyin Ryan wrote:
When people think of size they typically just think the lower 48 and don't consider Alaska (largest state by size).

"If Texans don't stop boasting, we'll cut Alaska in half and made Texas the THIRD biggest state."

Author:  Leffe [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Unusual Maps Thread

Snooze wrote:

It's bigger by a long shot. Look at the Northern parts of Canada, it's very wide and vast.

I checked the interbebz and it said Canada was slightly smaller. But check out the size of Australia on it. And the NL is not that big....

Author:  danthemanMunster [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Unusual Maps Thread

springtide wrote:
Snooze wrote:
danthemanMunster wrote:

Canada: Total area (sq km) 9,984,670

USA: Total area (sq km) 9,526,468

According to britannica.com


Jaysus, that surprises me. I never bothered to check, I just know Canada is the 2nd largest in the world. One earthquake around here could change that.


problem is the rectangular map that distorts the poles and enlargens them beyond what they in reality would be. Therefore Russia and Canada look even bigger than they really are.


My own (albeit limited) understanding is that the Peters projection map might give a more accurate depiction in terms of area.

Author:  Leffe [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:39 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Unusual Maps Thread

Leffe wrote:
Snooze wrote:

It's bigger by a long shot. Look at the Northern parts of Canada, it's very wide and vast.

I checked the interbebz and it said Canada was slightly smaller. But check out the size of Australia on it. And the NL is not that big....

Ahhh GDP. I thought about that but there's no title / index thingie.

Author:  danthemanMunster [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Unusual Maps Thread

Voila

Image

Page 1 of 43 All times are UTC [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/