Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:01 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9517 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228 ... 238  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:40 am 

Boxcar Ira wrote:
Stjudes wrote:
Oh how I loved our trips to the north side.

I used to love our trips to play Erins Isle or Craobh Ciarain. Guaranteed to have a player or two get a serious injury from a cheap shot and often from the sideline. Scummers.

A trip to The Bogies to play Fionnbarra was always special. Our full back had a hurl broken across his back by their manager during a football match !!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:46 am 

Boxcar Ira wrote:
Stjudes wrote:

I used to love our trips to play Erins Isle or Craobh Ciarain. Guaranteed to have a player or two get a serious injury from a cheap shot and often from the sideline. Scummers.

Ha, I used to have to mark an ape like redhead for Craobh Ciaran and we'd kill each other. Back in the day of helmets being optional, they had some hand players. Erins Isle were a shower.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:47 am 

Finbarrs was the maddest brawl I was ever in. Junior B football but it was a fair scrap at least! Started with a cheap shot (flying karate kick) from one of our guys I think.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:52 am 

ticketlessinseattle wrote:
Tecumseh wrote:

was at it with family - good vibes ; broke the 50k attendance barrier, biggest crowd for female sport event in Europe apparently

Didn't click the link did you chief?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:53 am 

Jesus this whiteout is killing me trying to post.

Maddog, I remember that game, I was a kid at it and I know the incident and person well. I believe his son was in goal when he stepped in to save a certain goal.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:46 pm 

ticketlessinseattle wrote:
Tecumseh wrote:

was at it with family - good vibes ; broke the 50k attendance barrier, biggest crowd for female sport event in Europe apparently

I don't think we are talking about the same event! I posted that before the ladies added another!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:56 pm 

Boxcar Ira wrote:
Stjudes wrote:

Finbarrs were the worst. Thankfully never really came across them at underage as they were no use. At least Isles and Ciarains were senior clubs (at the time) with sporting pretensions.

Trinity Gaels were the ones we used to have regular incidents with. Culminated in them bringing a coach load of skinheads out to a game when I was u14. We were winning well, when they started attacking mentors, parents, anyone (not the players thankfully) breaking up the game. The ref would only have been about 16 himself, and was very upset. Match abandoned, full on riot when other people from our club started coming from other games to fight back! Only settled down when cops were called. We were awarded the fixture and they had to play their home game against us at a neutral venue! Most of the players were sound lads, I've no idea how it was let get so out of hand!

I've also been tripped while taking a sideline in a senior football league game against Raheny, turned around and it was some 'respectable' fellow in full suit and coat! Whacked the ball at him and almost kicked off another riot.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:24 am 

Were Trinity Gaels the newish club back then formed in the Iveagh Grounds in Crumlin?

It's terrible that such an amazing facility went to the dogs, at least when Guinness were involved the place was ticking over. The astro turf pitch there has been condemned I believe.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:09 pm 

Boxcar Ira wrote:
Finbarrs was the maddest brawl I was ever in. Junior B football but it was a fair scrap at least! Started with a cheap shot (flying karate kick) from one of our guys I think.

Junior B football when you're a small, fast (all relative) 16 year old corner forward with a napoleon complex and being marked by a 17 stone 6'2 auld lad (32) who'd drank his body weight in porter the night before was always entertaining....until the fcuker cornered you.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:14 pm 

My first game of "grown up" hurling was a Junior B game in Clare.

I was 16, skinny and fast... this is all well pre the having to wear helmets etc.

Out in Tulla in East Clare... nice summer evening... I am buzzing around the corner forward position.

On strolls my man... 40 years plus.. big farmer head on him... socks down... built like a tank... looks like had a shit day. Hurley held sort of upside down... strides on... think like the way Conor McGregor walks... go to shake his hand and he drives the hurley into the stomach... didnt know what to do.. so pulled the hurley across him... he laughed at me and hit me again... nearly crying with the fear. taken off after 20 min.....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:56 pm 

Banana Man wrote:
My first game of "grown up" hurling was a Junior B game in Clare.

I was 16, skinny and fast... this is all well pre the having to wear helmets etc.

Out in Tulla in East Clare... nice summer evening... I am buzzing around the corner forward position.

On strolls my man... 40 years plus.. big farmer head on him... socks down... built like a tank... looks like had a shit day. Hurley held sort of upside down... strides on... think like the way Conor McGregor walks... go to shake his hand and he drives the hurley into the stomach... didnt know what to do.. so pulled the hurley across him... he laughed at me and hit me again... nearly crying with the fear. taken off after 20 min.....

:lol: so basically the exact same as my football one with added weapons ! you probably did well to last 20 minutes, although 15 of that was probably taken up by running around holding your own lads back during the schemozles.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:08 pm 

Junior B hurling and football is dirty. Played in goals in hurling but in football was a corner forward.

Dirty 40 year old footballers love to stand on your feet and niggle away off the ball.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:26 pm 

Stjudes wrote:
Were Trinity Gaels the newish club back then formed in the Iveagh Grounds in Crumlin?

It's terrible that such an amazing facility went to the dogs, at least when Guinness were involved the place was ticking over. The astro turf pitch there has been condemned I believe.

No, that was probably St. James' Gaels. They later merged with Robert Emmett's

Trinity Gaels are in Donaghmede (though the clubhouse is probably Old Portmarnock)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:45 pm 

iarmhiman wrote:
Junior B hurling and football is dirty. Played in goals in hurling but in football was a corner forward.

Dirty 40 year old footballers love to stand on your feet and niggle away off the ball.

How else are young lads going to learn the game without a proper apprenticeship ?

to be fair, I'm a short arse, so I was as a dirty fecker from playing in Primary school, because I was always the runt in the class, so to survive I had to be dirtier & harder than anyone else.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:36 pm 

fishfoodie wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:

How else are young lads going to learn the game without a proper apprenticeship ?

to be fair, I'm a short arse, so I was as a dirty fecker from playing in Primary school, because I was always the runt in the class, so to survive I had to be dirtier & harder than anyone else.

Or better?!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:46 pm 

Tecumseh wrote:
fishfoodie wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:

Or better?!

I was better at some things; but it's tough to show off the skillz, when your ribs are bruised, & you got a cheeky slap in the sack with the bas of a hurl ;)

I aimed for niggle, to distract & frustrate, to level the field; rather than pure badness & brutality.

I was once playing a match against a guy who was bloody brilliant; & just by tapping him on the ribs when he was soloing the ball on the run; without even raising a bruise; I drove him to distraction, & he turned & pulled on me after a bit, & got carded :P

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:19 pm 

fishfoodie wrote:
Tecumseh wrote:
fishfoodie wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:

Or better?!

I was better at some things; but it's tough to show off the skillz, when your ribs are bruised, & you got a cheeky slap in the sack with the bas of a hurl ;)

I aimed for niggle, to distract & frustrate, to level the field; rather than pure badness & brutality.

I was once playing a match against a guy who was bloody brilliant; & just by tapping him on the ribs when he was soloing the ball on the run; without even raising a bruise; I drove him to distraction, & he turned & pulled on me after a bit, & got carded :P

Ah, was just looking for a rise!

I was a nippy corner forward, victim of all kinds of intimidation tactics, I always found a way to rile the corner backs was to put your hand in their face

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:33 pm 

Quote:
JP McManus donates €100,000 to every GAA county board to distribute to clubs

JP McManus has donated €100,000 to every Gaelic Games county board in Ireland to be divided equally among their local clubs.

The €3.2million gesture has been made on the back of Limerick’s All-Ireland Hurling Championship win this year

McManus has been a main sponsor of Limerick GAA for years and is heavily involved in sport, including horse racing and the upcoming JP McManus Pro-Am at Adare Manor in July 2020.

A letter to each county board has said the intention is for the continued development of Gaelic Games in the country.

A spokeperson for the GAA has described it as "unprecedented" and an "incredible gesture".

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/0924/ ... nty-board/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:37 am 

JP some man.

Cheers on clearing up trinity gaels thing. I always found football to be the far dirtier of the two. I retired after a U21 final so only played a handful of Senior/Inter games after minor. It seemed the lower down you went the worse it got.

Playing hurling abroad was joke, bunch of useless lads trying to impress their expat pals about how dirty hurling was. The standard was cat.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:49 pm 

Would rather he paid some tax to be honest.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:50 am 

Cluxton not picked for the allstars again. Really not sure what he has to do to get one at this stage. Yes Beggan had a good year but he dropped the ball that led to the Fermanagh goal that lost Monaghan the game and his final kick in the semi was also headless as well.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:21 pm 

piaras wrote:
Cluxton not picked for the allstars again. Really not sure what he has to do to get one at this stage. Yes Beggan had a good year but he dropped the ball that led to the Fermanagh goal that lost Monaghan the game and his final kick in the semi was also headless as well.

Captain Dublin to the 5 in a row.

Doesn't he have a rep for not suffering journos gladly, and the journos pick the All Stars ?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:44 pm 

piaras wrote:

Is it really that big of a deal? He is the goalie on one of the greatest teams of all time and is rarely, if ever under real pressure so has very little to do.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:04 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
piaras wrote:

Doesn't he have a rep for not suffering journos gladly, and the journos pick the All Stars ?

Well - he has five of them... its not like a career of being robbed.

He probably should have picked one or two up since 2013. I thought Beggan bar one or two errors like the kick at end of the semi deserved it.

Personally, think the "Cluxton's laser boot" is a bit over rated - they are incredibly well drilled and the speed and ability of McCarthy and McCaffrey to win a kick out is unreal.

Brian Fenton has won the player of the year - was leaked to some earlier.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:05 am 

camroc1 wrote:
piaras wrote:

Yeah heard Ciaran Whelan suggesting that this might affect him alright.

Banana Man wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
piaras wrote:

Well - he has five of them... its not like a career of being robbed.

He probably should have picked one or two up since 2013. I thought Beggan bar one or two errors like the kick at end of the semi deserved it.

Personally, think the "Cluxton's laser boot" is a bit over rated - they are incredibly well drilled and the speed and ability of McCarthy and McCaffrey to win a kick out is unreal.

Brian Fenton has won the player of the year - was leaked to some earlier.

If you look back at the kick outs in the first half of the semi final against Tyrone last year you will see his ability to send a ball 65 yards and fairly pin point.

Fair play re Fenton bit surprised its not Kilkenny but Fenton has been immense altogether. Some record to have never lost a championship game in four years. James Ryanesque one might say.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:13 am 

piaras wrote:

Culchies love a good Dublin snub

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:59 pm 

Kyle Hayes gets young hurler of the year but no all-star. Figure that one out.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:17 am 

Mullet 2 wrote:
piaras wrote:

Culchies love a good Dublin snub

So do you

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:57 am 

Always great to give the lads some motivation on the drive for five.

Justice 4 Clucko

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:35 pm 

Take that ya jackeens :lol:

The mighty Mullinalaghta with a Parish of 450 people ar Leinster club champions!!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:41 pm 

DragonKhan wrote:

The mighty Mullinalaghta with a Parish of 450 people ar Leinster club champions!!!

Goliath humbled. Well done the half parish.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:56 pm 

Liathroidigloine wrote:
DragonKhan wrote:

It is actually madness they they were anywhere near winning Longford let alone Leinster with their playing numbers

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:00 pm 

DragonKhan wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:
DragonKhan wrote:

It is actually madness they they were anywhere near winning Longford let alone Leinster with their playing numbers

Put money on Cavan to win Ulster in next three years once Micky Graham gets his hands on them

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:02 pm 

Pretty incredible result alright. Not the first time a small village has toppled a massive suburb or town but definitely one of the most unexpected. Just Killarney to beat next.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:14 pm 

Mullinalaghta is the parish right beside where my folks come from. My parents are from the Cavan side from Mulllahoran but Gowna, Mullahoran (both in Cavan) and Mullinalaghta ( Longford) have a good rivalry with each other such is the closeness to each other.

Delighted for the Longford lads.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:01 pm 

Fúcking Southsiders

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:07 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
Fúcking Southsiders

Biggest club in Dublin. Beaten by a half parish of 500 people.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:09 pm 

Never happen to Vincents

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:10 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
Never happen to Vincents

No, Rathnew is a full parish.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:11 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
Never happen to Vincents

Are your club not Sylvester's?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9517 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 222, 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228 ... 238  Next