Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4261 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 107  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:46 pm 

Tony McGahan wrote:
Carney is one of the toughest judges in the country :?

"He said he was aware that if he imposed a severe custodial sentence and supended it, it would go out to the community in soundbites that in one of the most serious cases of serial rape of a daughter, the accused walked."

Just a thought, why don't you not suspend it then?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:53 pm 

I'll admit, it's not his finest hour.

Clearly, he felt that the man's health issues were severe enough to mitigate his sentence *shrugs*

I don't necessarily agree with it but I've seen it happen before. Many times. Add that to his age, his plea of guilty etc and I guess it all added up for Carney. I doubt he took the decision lightly.

He's a fine judge in fairness.

The guy could get f**ked over on appeal, tbf. The judges there could activate the whole sentence if they want.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:04 pm 

Hang on a sec. He got convicted of raping his daughter and had 75% of the sentence suspended and he's still appealing to try and get even more off???

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:54 pm 

Tony McGahan wrote:

Today he's a child rapist protecting shitbag.

He should be investigated .

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:56 pm 

waguser wrote:
Tony McGahan wrote:

The sentence is being appealed. There's your investigation.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:58 pm 

Tony McGahan wrote:
waguser wrote:
Tony McGahan wrote:

carneys personal life should be investigated

starting with his laptop and any friendship or links to Curtin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:11 pm 

Tony McGahan wrote:
waguser wrote:
Tony McGahan wrote:

What kind of moron are you that you don't realise how the Irish Justice system works? From start to finish the whole process of this case took 5 mins. Man arrested, Carney on a message board asking what he should do and then did this. There is no way there are other issues at play that we aren't aware of except of course that Carney is a pedo //waguser mode

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:15 pm 

MrJonno wrote:
Tony McGahan wrote:
waguser wrote:
Tony McGahan wrote:

What kind of moron are you that you don't realise how the Irish Justice system works? From start to finish the whole process of this case took 5 mins. Man arrested, Carney on a message board asking what he should do and then did this. There is no way there are other issues at play that we aren't aware of except of course that Carney is a pedo //waguser mode

So

these other issue we aren't aware of

what issues exactly do you think mitigate 75% of a child rape sentence and then allow the defendant bail so likely due to his ill health he spends 0 time in Jail?

to quote his Daughter

"I feel like the state has raped me again"

that's carney's doing

the f**king prick

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:22 pm 

waguser wrote:
MrJonno wrote:
Tony McGahan wrote:
waguser wrote:
Tony McGahan wrote:

So

these other issue we aren't aware of

what issues exactly do you think mitigate 75% of a child rape sentence and then allow the defendant bail so likely due to his ill health he spends 0 time in Jail?

to quote his Daughter

"I feel like the state has raped me again"

that's carney's doing

the f**king prick

The defence and the prosection arguments for a start. The legality of the sentence... you do realise Judges can't actually just give whatever sentences they want don't you. And regarding bail there are guidelines that determine whether or not it should be granted. If these guidelines are ignored the whole sentence can be quite easily overturned.

The sentence does make me feel rather nauseous but the fact remains the process is not as simple as you think it is and at this point we don't know the details. Carney may well have dropped the ball on this one or he made have made the only judgement he could have in the circumstances, the one thing I know for a fact is that you don't have a f**king clue either way.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:42 pm 

MrJonno wrote:

The defence and the prosection arguments for a start. The legality of the sentence... you do realise Judges can't actually just give whatever sentences they want don't you. And regarding bail there are guidelines that determine whether or not it should be granted. If these guidelines are ignored the whole sentence can be quite easily overturned.

The sentence does make me feel rather nauseous but the fact remains the process is not as simple as you think it is and at this point we don't know the details. Carney may well have dropped the ball on this one or he made have made the only judgement he could have in the circumstances, the one thing I know for a fact is that you don't have a f**king clue either way.

There is absolutely fudge all excuse for this sentence and you know it.

Your faux nausea disgusts me.

The continuous reinforcement of child abuse, rape, and sexual crimes as offences worthy of lower sentences than drug smuggling or theft through continued misapplication of the doctrine of precedent, the questionable records of particular judges, combined with the complete unwillingness to address this issue is a disgrace to the judiciary and the legal system as a whole and indeed deeply suspicious.

If the catholic church, or the boy scouts or GAA were to pull a stunt like this they would be rightly investigated to examine the possibility of a pedophile ring.

How many Pedophile judges are there?

was curtin the only one?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:56 pm 

waguser wrote:
MrJonno wrote:

The continuous reinforcement of child abuse, rape, and sexual crimes as offences worthy of lower sentences than drug smuggling or theft through continued misapplication of the doctrine of precedent, the questionable records of particular judges, combined with the complete unwillingness to address this issue is a disgrace to the judiciary and the legal system as a whole and indeed deeply suspicious.

If the catholic church, or the boy scouts or GAA were to pull a stunt like this they would be rightly investigated to examine the possibility of a pedophile ring.

was curtin the only one?

Faux nausea? GFY. Your faux outrage on the other hand is pathetic. If you were really outraged you would get the court transcripts and investigate further, you won't, so again GFY.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:57 pm 

http://bocktherobber.com/2007/12/two-rapists-one-judge-same-bullshit-different-day/

Carney has form

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:58 pm 

MrJonno wrote:
waguser wrote:
MrJonno wrote:

was curtin the only one?

Faux nausea? GFY. Your faux outrage on the other hand is pathetic. If you were really outraged you would get the court transcripts and investigate further, you won't, so again GFY.

you are defending the indefensible

for whatever reason.
why do you feel you have to do this?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:11 pm 

waguser wrote:
MrJonno wrote:
waguser wrote:
MrJonno wrote:

was curtin the only one?

you are defending the indefensible

for whatever reason.
why do you feel you have to do this?

You really are being moronically obtuse. I have defended nothing, merely pointed out that you don't know all the facts and are happy to make judgements without them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:16 pm 

MrJonno wrote:

You really are being moronically obtuse. I have defended nothing, merely pointed out that you don't know all the facts and are happy to make judgements without them.

We know all the relevant facts

pleaded Guilty to repeated almost daily rape of his daughter for 10 years.

Sentenced to 12 years

9 suspended and given leave to appeal allowed to walk free.

because he is sick almost certainly terminally ill.

what other facts do we need to know that carney is wrong?
the relative performance of the lawyers is immaterial.

Carney is soft on sexual crime.
I question why he seems to give sex criminals more leniant sentences than others.
It makes me suspicious of Carneys motives.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:30 pm 

A bit more info....

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/bre ... ing39.html

Spoiler: show
Man (72) sentenced for rape of daughter
Mr Justice Paul Carney imposed a sentence of 12 years and suspended nine.Mr Justice Paul Carney imposed a sentence of 12 years and suspended nine.
Related

Rape by father was as often 'as having dinner' | 15/01/2013

A child rapist who admitted abusing his daughter for 10 years walked free from court today after a judge granted him continuing bail to appeal his prison sentence.

Mr Justice Paul Carney suspended the last nine years of a 12 year sentence imposed on Patrick O’Brien (72) after describing his crimes as one of the most serious cases of serial rape of a daughter.

He certified the case a fit case for appeal with respect to issues arising and remanded O’Brien on continuing bail pending that appeal. He ordered that the appeal hearing be expedited and granted continuing legal aid to O’Brien.

Patrick O’Brien, of Old Court Avenue, Bray, Co Wicklow pleaded guilty at the Central Criminal Court to 16 charges of the rape and indecent assault of Fiona Doyle at Mackintosh Park, Pottery Road, Dun Laoghaire from 1973 to 1982.

The abuse began when O’Brien raped the victim on the night before she was to make her First Holy Communion.

In a statement to media outside the court Ms Doyle said that she was totally devastated by the ruling.

She said: “He raped me for 10 years and he just walks out of here today. I just can’t believe that this has happened. Last week I felt great. I was vindicated. For him to walk out of here today without serving one day is just devastating.”

Before passing sentence Mr Justice Carney heard evidence from the director of nursing services with the Irish Prison Service in relation to the level of care available to someone with O’Brien’s health issues and age.

Frances Nangle O’Connor told Monika Leech BL, prosecuting, that the Prison Service had managed patients with similar conditions as O’Brien. She said that the level of care available to him would be as good as that in the general community.

The court previously heard that O’Brien has a heart condition and that he requires oxygen for eight hours every night. Ms O’Connor said this could be provided.

Mr Justice Carney asked Ms Leech whether the Director of Public Prosecutions wanted a prison sentence to be served and if she would stand over any prison sentence imposed.

Ms Leech told the court that her only instructions in this regard were that the DPP viewed the case as falling at the lower level of the upper end of the scale but that the sentence was a matter for the court.

After hearing these submissions Mr Justice Carney said that he had only come to his view in this case in the last five minutes. He said it was a most difficult case to judge.

He said: “If I impose a serious custodial sentence and suspend it, it will go out in sound-bites, as these things do, that in one of the most serious cases of serial rape of a daughter, the man walked. That is all the community will be told.

“On the other side if I impose a heavy sentence unsuspended I will be branded as a trial judge who substituted one injustice for another. I am trying to strike a balance.”

He noted that the evidence was that the abuse of Ms Doyle was so regular that it felt to her like it became as frequent as having dinner.

He said that that after sending the other children to bed he would ask Ms Doyle to make him a coffee. He would then take the coffee and tell her to lie down, either on her front or on her back.

He said that O’Brien would have sex with her on a chair or on a couch and that it became so frequent that the child would position herself so that she could continue to watch television during the assault.

Mr Justice Carney noted that in another judgment, the Kennedy case, the Court of Criminal Appeal suspended a moderate sentence imposed of the basis on the health of the accused.

He said that in that judgement he was “horrified” to find that the DPP, “behind my back, saying it’s a matter of indifference” whether that accused served a prison sentence or not.

He said that he believed he was taking a very moderate position by imposing a sentence of 12 years for the rape charges, along with concurrent sentences of three years for the indecent assault.

He said the primary mitigating factor for the accused was his serious and exceptional medical condition. He said that other factors were his guilty pleas, his expression of remorse, his good behaviour, history of employment and the length of time since the offences. Based on these mitigating factors he suspended the final nine years.

Waiving her right to anonymity, Ms Doyle told the Central Criminal Court last Monday that no sentence imposed on O’Brien could "undo the enormous damage that my father has done to me".

She said: "It is something I have lived with since I was a young child and it’s something I will have to live with until the day I die."

As a result of the abuse she said her first marriage failed and she made two serious suicide attempts.

She said she attempted to change her own appearance through plastic surgery, saying: "I had many operations which I see now was a form of self mutilation. I have the many scars to prove it."

fudge me, how does Carney live with himself?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:13 pm 

Well at least I know that to escape jail for crimes like that, I only need to avoid being caught until I am very old, preferably carrying out that crime as long as possible.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:16 pm 

Odd decision.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:20 pm 

Flametop wrote:
A bit more info....

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/bre ... ing39.html

Man (72) sentenced for rape of daughter
Mr Justice Paul Carney imposed a sentence of 12 years and suspended nine.Mr Justice Paul Carney imposed a sentence of 12 years and suspended nine.
Related

Rape by father was as often 'as having dinner' | 15/01/2013

A child rapist who admitted abusing his daughter for 10 years walked free from court today after a judge granted him continuing bail to appeal his prison sentence.

Mr Justice Paul Carney suspended the last nine years of a 12 year sentence imposed on Patrick O’Brien (72) after describing his crimes as one of the most serious cases of serial rape of a daughter.

He certified the case a fit case for appeal with respect to issues arising and remanded O’Brien on continuing bail pending that appeal. He ordered that the appeal hearing be expedited and granted continuing legal aid to O’Brien.

Patrick O’Brien, of Old Court Avenue, Bray, Co Wicklow pleaded guilty at the Central Criminal Court to 16 charges of the rape and indecent assault of Fiona Doyle at Mackintosh Park, Pottery Road, Dun Laoghaire from 1973 to 1982.

The abuse began when O’Brien raped the victim on the night before she was to make her First Holy Communion.

In a statement to media outside the court Ms Doyle said that she was totally devastated by the ruling.

She said: “He raped me for 10 years and he just walks out of here today. I just can’t believe that this has happened. Last week I felt great. I was vindicated. For him to walk out of here today without serving one day is just devastating.”

Before passing sentence Mr Justice Carney heard evidence from the director of nursing services with the Irish Prison Service in relation to the level of care available to someone with O’Brien’s health issues and age.

Frances Nangle O’Connor told Monika Leech BL, prosecuting, that the Prison Service had managed patients with similar conditions as O’Brien. She said that the level of care available to him would be as good as that in the general community.

The court previously heard that O’Brien has a heart condition and that he requires oxygen for eight hours every night. Ms O’Connor said this could be provided.

Mr Justice Carney asked Ms Leech whether the Director of Public Prosecutions wanted a prison sentence to be served and if she would stand over any prison sentence imposed.

Ms Leech told the court that her only instructions in this regard were that the DPP viewed the case as falling at the lower level of the upper end of the scale but that the sentence was a matter for the court.

After hearing these submissions Mr Justice Carney said that he had only come to his view in this case in the last five minutes. He said it was a most difficult case to judge.

He said: “If I impose a serious custodial sentence and suspend it, it will go out in sound-bites, as these things do, that in one of the most serious cases of serial rape of a daughter, the man walked. That is all the community will be told.

“On the other side if I impose a heavy sentence unsuspended I will be branded as a trial judge who substituted one injustice for another. I am trying to strike a balance.”

He noted that the evidence was that the abuse of Ms Doyle was so regular that it felt to her like it became as frequent as having dinner.

He said that that after sending the other children to bed he would ask Ms Doyle to make him a coffee. He would then take the coffee and tell her to lie down, either on her front or on her back.

He said that O’Brien would have sex with her on a chair or on a couch and that it became so frequent that the child would position herself so that she could continue to watch television during the assault.

Mr Justice Carney noted that in another judgment, the Kennedy case, the Court of Criminal Appeal suspended a moderate sentence imposed of the basis on the health of the accused.

He said that in that judgement he was “horrified” to find that the DPP, “behind my back, saying it’s a matter of indifference” whether that accused served a prison sentence or not.

He said that he believed he was taking a very moderate position by imposing a sentence of 12 years for the rape charges, along with concurrent sentences of three years for the indecent assault.

He said the primary mitigating factor for the accused was his serious and exceptional medical condition. He said that other factors were his guilty pleas, his expression of remorse, his good behaviour, history of employment and the length of time since the offences. Based on these mitigating factors he suspended the final nine years.

Waiving her right to anonymity, Ms Doyle told the Central Criminal Court last Monday that no sentence imposed on O’Brien could "undo the enormous damage that my father has done to me".

She said: "It is something I have lived with since I was a young child and it’s something I will have to live with until the day I die."

As a result of the abuse she said her first marriage failed and she made two serious suicide attempts.

She said she attempted to change her own appearance through plastic surgery, saying: "I had many operations which I see now was a form of self mutilation. I have the many scars to prove it."

fudge me, how does Carney live with himself?

agreed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:23 pm 

Why the judge thought anyone would be upset by a self-confessed serial child rapist (albeit a half-dead old one) getting a long custodial sentence is beyond me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:23 pm 

anonymous_joe wrote:
Odd decision.

a few days with his web records might explain it

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:36 pm 

I can't find anything online, but there was a story in the paper about a 20 year who attacked a 4 MONTH old relative, broke the baby's skull, and was sentenced to 12 months with 3 suspended.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:46 pm 

Meanwhile in other news, (and for the sole purpose of contrasting sentencing) way to go judge Dempsey...

http://www.independent.ie/national-news ... 61489.html

Not condoning it and I'm sure it was frightening (and possibly a correct sentence?), but nowhere in the same league as the crime by the free on bail child rapist.

Man (23) slapped woman on bottom 'to get a thrill'

By Nicola Donnelly

Tuesday January 22 2013

A MAN who followed a woman and slapped her on her bottom "to get a thrill" and because "she had a nice bum" has been sentenced to eight months.

Sean Cullen (23), pictured, followed the woman who was out walking on a summer's evening last July and when he caught up with her, he slapped her bottom.

He told gardai he was under the influence of drugs at the time and was deeply apologetic.

Cullen, of Ashton Avenue, Ashton Brock in Swords, Co Dublin, pleaded guilty at Balbriggan District Court to sexual assault on July 26, 2011, at Drynam Road in Swords. Judge Dempsey said he could not avoid a custodial sentence, despite defence solicitor Fiona Darcy asking for community service, as it was a "terrifying ordeal for the young lady".

He imposed an eight-month prison sentence but released Cullen on his own recognisance of €400 and independent surety of €200 after Cullen immediately lodged an appeal to the sentence.

Garda Colum Donohoe earlier gave evidence that the 27-year-old woman was out walking when she became aware of a male following her.

"She began to walk faster and he sped up, and when she slowed down, he slowed down.

"She rang her boyfriend and while she was on the phone, the defendant came up behind her and slapped her on the bum. The woman's boyfriend arrived and confronted the man and called gardai," he added.

Cullen was arrested by gardai on December 12, 2011, and told gardai he "slapped her on the ass to get a thrill" and "she had a nice bum".

"He says it won't happen again," said Ms Darcy. "He has learnt his lesson to stay away from drugs."

- Nicola Donnelly

Irish Independent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:19 pm 

Flametop wrote:
Meanwhile in other news, (and for the sole purpose of contrasting sentencing) way to go judge Dempsey...

Not condoning it and I'm sure it was frightening (and possibly a correct sentence?), but nowhere in the same league as the crime by the free on bail child rapist.

By Nicola Donnelly

Tuesday January 22 2013

A MAN who followed a woman and slapped her on her bottom "to get a thrill" and because "she had a nice bum" has been sentenced to eight months.

Sean Cullen (23), pictured, followed the woman who was out walking on a summer's evening last July and when he caught up with her, he slapped her bottom.

He told gardai he was under the influence of drugs at the time and was deeply apologetic.

Cullen, of Ashton Avenue, Ashton Brock in Swords, Co Dublin, pleaded guilty at Balbriggan District Court to sexual assault on July 26, 2011, at Drynam Road in Swords. Judge Dempsey said he could not avoid a custodial sentence, despite defence solicitor Fiona Darcy asking for community service, as it was a "terrifying ordeal for the young lady".

He imposed an eight-month prison sentence but released Cullen on his own recognisance of €400 and independent surety of €200 after Cullen immediately lodged an appeal to the sentence.

Garda Colum Donohoe earlier gave evidence that the 27-year-old woman was out walking when she became aware of a male following her.

"She began to walk faster and he sped up, and when she slowed down, he slowed down.

"She rang her boyfriend and while she was on the phone, the defendant came up behind her and slapped her on the bum. The woman's boyfriend arrived and confronted the man and called gardai," he added.

Cullen was arrested by gardai on December 12, 2011, and told gardai he "slapped her on the ass to get a thrill" and "she had a nice bum".

"He says it won't happen again," said Ms Darcy. "He has learnt his lesson to stay away from drugs."

- Nicola Donnelly

Irish Independent

He was released on pending appeal and his sentence will very likely be overturned when the appeal is heard. In one of the post above Carney actually makes it clear that in a previous, similar case (to the child rapist case) where he gave a prison sentence, the sentence was overturned on appeal on health grounds. Very much what he is trying to avoid this time around.

BTW I don't know Carney and I don't know whether his hands were tied or he gave a contemptibly lax sentence on his own initiative but I do know plenty of Judges and some are good and some are bad, but in analysing the merit of the sentences they hand down it is never as simple as a three bullet point argument.

Waguser is hereby to be known as IrishBill.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:23 pm 

Wag's always been a spa about lawyers. This has more to do with sentencing guidelines, though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:46 pm 

MrJonno wrote:

He was released on pending appeal and his sentence will very likely be overturned when the appeal is heard. In one of the post above Carney actually makes it clear that in a previous, similar case (to the child rapist case) where he gave a prison sentence, the sentence was overturned on appeal on health grounds. Very much what he is trying to avoid this time around.

BTW I don't know Carney and I don't know whether his hands were tied or he gave a contemptibly lax sentence on his own initiative but I do know plenty of Judges and some are good and some are bad, but in analysing the merit of the sentences they hand down it is never as simple as a three bullet point argument.

So your justification for carney is that inter judge and court politics has tied his hands.
what a crock of shit

I think this is more evidence these fuckers care more about their own careers than justice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:00 pm 

Judges have a lot of discretionary power when it comes to sentencing. On the one hand, they can acquit a paedophile like Brian Curtin, on the other hand they can destroy the life of a smuggler like Paul Begley.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:24 pm 

waguser wrote:
MrJonno wrote:

So your justification for carney is that inter judge and court politics has tied his hands.
what a crock of shit

I think this is more evidence these fuckers care more about their own careers than justice

And once again you out moron yourself. If you can't follow the simple points I'm making you shouldn't trouble yourself with newspapers.

Once more, I'm not justifiying Carney all I've said is that these things are much more complicated then most people realise. We don't know everything from the posts on here and If Carney does indeed have his head up his arse on this one, then reserving judgement until you find out more won't change that you f**king idiot.

Your faux outrage is increasingly contemptible. If you really cared about this as much as your frothing idiocy implies you would have already requested the court transcripts. You haven't so GFY.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:22 pm 

Flametop wrote:

By Nicola Donnelly

Tuesday January 22 2013

- Nicola Donnelly

Irish Independent

Any chance of a rule 1 of the bum so we can assess the severity of the sentence?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:30 pm 

MrJonno wrote:

Once more, I'm not justifiying Carney all I've said is that these things are much more complicated then most people realise. .

You are attempting to imply complications in a simple case,

RAPIST OF CHILDREN

9 YEARS SUPENDED

most child sexual assaults don't include rape.

This is one of the worst cases on record

and Carney has bottled it.

It really is that simple.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:36 pm 

The thing I really can't get my head around in this case is how the piece of human filth involved has managed to convince his wife to stick by him. The victim (who has bravely given up her right to anonymity) was interviewed after the sentence and it was heart breaking tbh. I hope the fucker ends up in jail anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:43 pm 

MrJonno wrote:
waguser wrote:
MrJonno wrote:

what a crock of shit

And once again you out moron yourself. If you can't follow the simple points I'm making you shouldn't trouble yourself with newspapers.

Once more, I'm not justifiying Carney all I've said is that these things are much more complicated then most people realise. We don't know everything from the posts on here and If Carney does indeed have his head up his arse on this one, then reserving judgement until you find out more won't change that you f**king idiot.

Your faux outrage is increasingly contemptible. If you really cared about this as much as your frothing idiocy implies you would have already requested the court transcripts. You haven't so GFY.

You're a f**king pleb.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:14 pm 

danthefan wrote:
The thing I really can't get my head around in this case is how the piece of human filth involved has managed to convince his wife to stick by him. The victim (who has bravely given up her right to anonymity) was interviewed after the sentence and it was heart breaking tbh. I hope the fucker ends up in jail anyway.

Its worse, the wife apparently blamed the daughter.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:25 pm 

I'm sickened and ashamed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:26 pm 

MrJonno wrote:
danthefan wrote:

she should be in f**king jail too

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:31 pm 

waguser wrote:
MrJonno wrote:
danthefan wrote:

To be clear I think the man should be banged up for the rest of his life and there is something wrong with a legal system that lets him remain free. I just think we should work out what that is and it simply isn't necessarily the judge, though it sometimes is (and may be in this case).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:21 pm 

MrJonno wrote:
waguser wrote:
MrJonno wrote:
danthefan wrote:

To be clear I think the man should be banged up for the rest of his life and there is something wrong with a legal system that lets him remain free. I just think we should work out what that is and it simply isn't necessarily the judge, though it sometimes is (and may be in this case).

Good to see that through my application of direct argument, basic reasoning and facts you are beginning to see the light.

let it go.

This is an absolute disgrace and carney should be hauled over the coals and taken to task by our extensive internal judicial performance management structures

oh wait.....

we've another clown barrister on the radio trying to excuse this bullshit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:44 pm 

waguser wrote:

Good to see that through my application of direct argument, basic reasoning and facts you are beginning to see the light.

let it go.

This is an absolute disgrace and carney should be hauled over the coals and taken to task by our extensive internal judicial performance management structures

oh wait.....

we've another clown barrister on the radio trying to excuse this bullshit

There's already an in-built procedure called an appeal.

Further to that, the decision by the judge may highlight flaws in the sentencing system that might lead to action from the government. Win/win if the suspension is quashed on appeal.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:30 pm 

thekingsnotdead wrote:
Judges have a lot of discretionary power when it comes to sentencing. On the one hand, they can acquit a paedophile like Brian Curtin, on the other hand they can destroy the life of a smuggler like Paul Begley.

His sentence was overturned on appeal today :yawn:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:49 pm 

Tony McGahan wrote:
thekingsnotdead wrote:

His sentence was overturned on appeal today :yawn:

That's what brought him to my mind. What a f**king joke of a sentence to hand out for a relatively small white collar crime.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4261 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 107  Next