Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 101, 102, 103, 104, 105  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:32 am 

Sundy wrote:
Flametop wrote:
Do we have a “cost of childcare in Dublin” thread?

http://www.thejournal.ie/creche-injury- ... /#comments

I’m sure all parents will thank them for their increased monthly crèche bill.

That is quite literally money for nothing.

...but we don't know the full details of the case :roll:

Based on the bumps and scrapes the twins are coming home with every day, I'm going to be able to retire when the settlement comes in in 2028.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:39 am 

Any scar to a girls face is big moolah. Thems are the facts

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:42 am 

EverReady wrote:
Any scar to a girls face is big moolah. Thems are the facts

We’re talking about a country where “the smallest scar imaginable” on the back of a young boy was awarded 50 grand by the high court (reduced on appeal). It’s a scam.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:45 am 

TBF this was done on the steps.

Of course the reason it was done on the steps was the insurers bricking it about some bonkers judge getting a hold of the case.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:52 am 

The sooner the amounts in the Book of Quantum are substantially reduced as recommended by the Kearns Commission, allied to a cap on legal fees for personal injury claims would go a long way to reducing insurance premiums.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0918/99455 ... ry-claims/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:45 pm 

Things are improving thanks to the likes of Kearns and Twomey but they’ve a long way to go - still giving 6grand for a bruised hand to a serial claimant

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-a ... -1.3543618

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:01 pm 

But we don't have the full facts Duff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:26 pm 

Yes, the NHS etc :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:54 pm 

The UK has artificially capped claims Duff.

Just because medical journals claim whiplash is bollocks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:10 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
The UK has artificially capped claims Duff.

Just because medical journals claim whiplash is bollocks

Sore neck for a couple of weeks? Have half the average industrial wage for a full year. But it’s not a scam. Only joking, of course it’s a f**king scam.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:12 pm 

Jokes on us

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:14 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
Jokes on us

We have let a small cartel create this type of society so that they can profit from it. Other countries like New Zealand have decided not to create this type of society. If you suffer a loss then you are redeemed for that loss, not handed a lotto win.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:17 pm 

No fault compensation in NZ - doctors with low indemnity insurance who aren’t afraid to admit a mistake, and patients who are quickly compensated for their loss without the parasites creaming it on the side
https://www.nzma.org.nz/journal/read-th ... cle-wallis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:31 pm 

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/cou ... 81065.html

These cases always crack me up.

'we were travelling at 40-70mph'

'ok, let's look at the cctv'

'ah, you have cctv at a toll plaza, who would have thought it? Case withdrawn, sorry for the inconvenience, love'

Of course, why admitting you were travelling so fast into a toll plaza is OK, I don't know, but that's a separate point.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:19 pm 

CM11 wrote:
https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/dont-call-me-love-judges-words-to-man-in-unsuccessful-60k-damages-claim-37381065.html

These cases always crack me up.

'we were travelling at 40-70mph'

'ok, let's look at the cctv'

'ah, you have cctv at a toll plaza, who would have thought it? Case withdrawn, sorry for the inconvenience, love'

Of course, why admitting you were travelling so fast into a toll plaza is OK, I don't know, but that's a separate point.

A market salesman from Rathkeale - I hobe the Revenue check up on his tax affairs,

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:35 pm 

Costs :lol: consequences for a fraudulent compo claim in Ireland? Virtually nil. He’ll pop up again in a year or so, and who can blame him for wanting in on a great scam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:38 am 

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/cou ... 82111.html

Funny that she isn’t suing the Bride

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:38 pm 

Ok it’s the North, but in all honesty, is a bullet not the most reasonable rehabilitation if proven guilty?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-a ... 2?mode=amp

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:50 pm 

Flametop wrote:
Ok it’s the North, but in all honesty, is a bullet not the most reasonable rehabilitation if proven guilty?

I feel ill.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:57 pm 

danthefan wrote:
Flametop wrote:

I feel ill.

Clicked because link was truncated. Got as far as the headline.

Words fail me.

:((

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:00 pm 

There are some serious animals in this world. And I'm probably doing a big injustice to animals.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:06 pm 

I’m all ears for some do goody good to tell me how we put somebody like that back into society a changed person.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:09 pm 

Flametop wrote:
I’m all ears for some do goody good to tell me how we put somebody like that back into society a changed person.

I'm all ears as to how we draw a line when it comes to capital punishment because I'm all for it for people like that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:12 pm 

Yeah beginning to think bring back the garotte.
Well introduce it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:28 pm 

Jesus. Hovered over the link and read it. Don't want to read that story.

What the fuck.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:20 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Jesus. Hovered over the link and read it. Don't want to read that story.

What the fuck.

It is what it is. A lot more sick fúcks out there than you would think

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:42 am 

CM11 wrote:
Flametop wrote:

I'm all ears as to how we draw a line when it comes to capital punishment because I'm all for it for people like that.

Because hard cases make bad law.

I'm pretty sure most people would have little problem (beyond principle) about this guy meeting his maker ptq.

But then the death penalty would be an option again, and would be used.

And I'm not in favour of that.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:45 am 

Much better to five them "life" and let them out in twenty.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:29 am 

camroc1 wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Flametop wrote:

Because hard cases make bad law.

I'm pretty sure most people would have little problem (beyond principle) about this guy meeting his maker ptq.

But then the death penalty would be an option again, and would be used.

And I'm not in favour of that.

That was my point, cam. The line rarely gets drawn exactly where people want it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:39 am 

Even before dna improvements in blood typing and serology plus advances in Forensics got hundreds off death row and exonerated.
Then you got the cops who took the easy route.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:14 am 

There's not much doubt that this animal would deserve it but reading some of those pieces from the likes of Pamela Colloff about the shit that goes on in the States would put me off ever supporting the death penalty.

Yeah SJW etc etc.

This guy is obviously unfit to ever rejoin society and a bit of natural justice has never been more appropriate.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:29 am 

danthefan wrote:
There's not much doubt that this animal would deserve it but reading some of those pieces from the likes of Pamela Colloff about the shit that goes on in the States would put me off ever supporting the death penalty.

Yeah SJW etc etc.

This guy is obviously unfit to ever rejoin society and a bit of natural justice has never been more appropriate.

They sent tutors into a prison to try to raise a kids IQ so they could execute him.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:43 am 

Relax on the tinfoil hat shit you loolah

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:52 am 

I was there man.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:57 am 

Flametop wrote:

no issue with the death penalty

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:32 pm 

That person no longer exists :shock:
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/irel ... -dtkmlnrxv

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:17 pm 

lorcanoworms wrote:

I presume that is an exaggeration of what is happening. If the name mattered then all criminals would change their name to Tutti McFrutti straight after getting charged

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:00 pm 

I am bewildered and I want to be unwildered.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:26 pm 

EverReady wrote:
lorcanoworms wrote:

I presume that is an exaggeration of what is happening. If the name mattered then all criminals would change their name to Tutti McFrutti straight after getting charged

Straight after committing the crime, more like.

Quote:
The defendant in the case, a transgender woman, changed her gender from male and her first name from Patrick to Fiona in June 2016, a year before being arrested for the alleged drugs crime. The woman was charged under the name Patrick in September 2017.

"No no, Fiona would never do such a thing. That was definitely Patrick."

I'd imagine there has to be some paperwork as part of the gender transition process that ensures the subject is still liable for debts, crimes, other actions taken under the previous identity. "Oh, this is Fiona's speeding ticket, not Patrick's? Well don't worry, the bank account we're confiscating the fine from was opened under Patrick's name in 2008, so we're sure he'll understand."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:22 am 

http://www.thejournal.ie/mother-baby-in ... 5-Oct2018/

Quote:
A MOTHER WHOSE five-month-old baby girl suffered a catalogue of injuries in her care including a skull fracture, a broken arm and two broken legs has walked free from court.

At Ennis Circuit Court, Judge Gerald Keys told the 23-year old woman: “I see no benefit to society, to the child, to yourself or to the father of the child by imposing a custodial sentence. I just don’t see any future in that and I don’t think that anyone will benefit from it.”

Judge Keys said that the woman’s continuing efforts to rehabilitate herself would not be possible if she was jailed and he imposed a suspended two year suspended sentence on condition that she continue to comply with the directions of a Probation Service report.

He said that the standard of care provided to the baby “fell well below of what one would one expect from a mother and was totally unacceptable”.

Judge Keys said that the mother was unable to explain why she persisted “with this behaviour towards the baby knowing that it caused her harm”.

Injuries

In the case, the mother presented to her GP on 13 February 2015 in a distressed state with the baby as her daughter’s left arm wasn’t moving and she had bruising to her face.

The doctor referred the case immediately to the paediatric unit to University Hospital Limerick (UHL).

There, medics at the hospital carried out a full skeletal survey of the baby that detected older injuries – a healing fracture of the left tibia – the larger bone on the lower left leg; a healing fracture of the right femur – the thigh bone extending from the hip to the knee – and an older right sided skull fracture.

Medics also detected a torn frenulum- the muscle under the tongue – and the child’s mother said that this could have occurred as a result of forcing a baby’s bottle or a soother into the baby’s mouth.

In the case, the woman pleaded guilty to wilfully assaulting and neglecting the child in a manner likely to cause unnecessary injury to the child’s health and seriously affect her well being.

The woman can’t be named in order to protect the identity of her child and the charge is contrary to Section 246 of the Children’s Act.

The offence took on dates between the summer of 2014 and February 2015 when the mother was aged 19.

Evidence

In evidence, consultant paediatrician at University Hospital Limerick (UHL), Dr Barry Linnane provided care to the baby and expressed doubt over the explanations given by the mother for the injuries.

Dr Linnane said that the injuries occurred on different dates during the baby’s first five months.

Judge Keys said that a Probation Report on the mother found that the accused accepted that a lack of care for the baby caused her to suffer the injuries, but she doesn’t accept responsibility for all of the injuries caused to the child.

The judge said that the mother put the neglect down to “poor judgement, bad decision making and use of force that was unknowingly unnecessary”.

He said that the woman’s pregnancy was unplanned and the then-teenager “was subsequently ambivalent about motherhood”. He added that the mother was overwhelmed by the birth of her child and was subsequently diagnosed with postnatal depression.

Supervised access

Judge Keys said that today the child’s father has custody of the toddler and the mother had supervised access.

He said that a report records that the mother has affection for the child, but recognises that she is not ready to care for her without proper support and supervision.

“You have lost confidence in yourself after you realised the harm you have caused your child,” he said.

The Probation Report found that the woman was at a low risk of re-offending.

Counsel for the woman, Pat Whyms BL said that the State had not proceeded with assault causing harm charge against his client and there was no evidence to support a charge that the mother had deliberately assaulted the baby.

Whyms pointed to a report from the baby’s Guardian ad Litem (GAL) who he said shared the view with the mother’s clinical psychologist “that the harm incurred by the baby was unlikely that the to have been deliberately inflicted”.

He said that his client had a deep sense of remorse over her “rough-handling of the baby”.

Counsel for the State, Philip Rahn said that the report cited by Whyms is not evidence and the evidence concerning how the injuries came about was provided by Dr Linnane.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 101, 102, 103, 104, 105  Next