Chat Forum
It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 3:52 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:49 am 

Possible announcement tomorrow apparently...

Quote:
The Cricket Australia board will meet on Friday to ratify the process that is set to see Justin Langer appointed as the next Australian coach.

Langer is poised to replace Darren Lehmann who quit in the wake of the Cape Town ball-tampering fiasco last month.

A Cricket Australia spokesman said an appointment was likely to be made by the start of next month.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/cricket/ju ... b88810537z

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:32 am 

This is standard fare from TheWorst...

Quote:
“The board meeting on Friday will determine the process for appointing the next Australian coach,” he said.

“No one has been offered the position and no contract has been drawn up yet.

“It might be a couple of weeks before that happens.”

There is nothing of substance linking Langer to the job aside from the reporter's earnest desire. This is how they report here... it's pathetic. I think Langer should get the job myself, and hope he does... but that's just rubbish from them. Townsend makes parochial his own, by the way. Every f**king summer.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:44 am 

I like Langer :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:57 am 

I think we can all agree that he would completely change the culture of the team.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:57 am 

Rowdy wrote:
I think we can all agree that he would completely change the culture of the team.

Yup. https://youtu.be/afQvCaPd4t8?t=187

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:34 am 

Mahoney wrote:
Rowdy wrote:

Yup. https://youtu.be/afQvCaPd4t8?t=187

Beat me to it. Langer bumps the bails, looking down at them as he does so, then stands back and says nothing as his teammates kick up a fuss to the umps as if the batsmen had done so. Carnts.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:37 am 

Impressively the match referee bought his "just an accident" claim despite him looking straight at the stumps and reaching out with his right hand to flick the bail.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:17 am 

Never change, whingers.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:20 am 

Bindi wrote:
Never change, whingers.

Don't talk about Ricky and Shane like that. I don't think they knew Justin was the instigator.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:50 pm 

Langer wins !

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-03/j ... ch/9721858

Quote:
Cricket Australia has confirmed Western Australia coach and former Test batsman Justin Langer as the new man in charge of the Australian men's team, replacing Darren Lehmann.

Lehmann left the team after the ball-tampering scandal which overshadowed the end of Australia's tour of South Africa and led to the banning of Steve Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft.

Speculation about his replacement has centred around Langer, and Cricket Australia made it official with a release this morning.

"We are thrilled to appoint Justin as head coach of the Australian men's cricket team," Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland said in the statement.

"Whilst Darren Lehmann was not due to complete his term until next year, we have had a succession plan in place for this role for some time.

"In addition to professional development opportunities, this plan has included several coaches stepping into the head role to relieve Darren at times, and to also provide support roles, including Justin, and forms part of our long running succession planning process.

"The plan has allowed us to consider several worthy candidates, but Justin was the clear standout, particularly based on his recent coaching and player development achievements.

"We firmly believe Justin is the right person to lead this team and have huge confidence in what he will bring to the role."

Langer has been the coach of the Western Warriors and the Perth Scorchers Big Bash League sides since 2012.

His successes include three Big Bash titles with the Scorchers, and two domestic one-day titles with the Warriors.

The Western Australian native has been involved with the Australian national team previously in a coaching capacity, spending three years as an assistant coach and stepping in as an interim head coach twice — for an ODI series in the West Indies in 2016, and for a T20 series against Sri Lanka last year.

Langer played 105 Tests and eight one-day internationals for Australia, scoring more than 7,500 runs as a Test opener.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:55 pm 

guy smiley wrote:
There is nothing of substance linking Langer to the job aside from the reporter's earnest desire. This is how they report here... it's pathetic.

Turns out you were wrong, GS.

Again. :D

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:58 pm 

kiap wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
There is nothing of substance linking Langer to the job aside from the reporter's earnest desire. This is how they report here... it's pathetic.

Turns out you were wrong, GS.

Again. :D

There was nothing linking him to the job at the time as you should well know. There has been rampant speculation in the WA media that he would get the job. Sometimes, speculation succeeds.

Petty point scoring, Kiap? I bet you'd like to think you're better than that.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:00 pm 

Ghastly little brown nose.

He used to follow 'Stephen' Waugh (as he always insisted on calling him, as a mark of respect apparently - puke) around like a little puppy dog.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:09 pm 

MrDominator wrote:

He used to follow 'Stephen' Waugh (as he always insisted on calling him, as a mark of respect apparently - puke) around like a little puppy dog.

He's a surprisingly humble and genuine bloke actually, dedicated to his family (which makes this job something of a sacrifice for him) and although it's not my cup of tea, he's a devout Christian. Before I met him I had a pretty negative view of him based on his playing days and how he was portrayed in the media. He's done good things with the WA state teams and that 'puppy dog' perception is probably down to his single minded commitment to the job.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:16 pm 

guy smiley wrote:
MrDominator wrote:

He's a surprisingly humble and genuine bloke actually, dedicated to his family (which makes this job something of a sacrifice for him) and although it's not my cup of tea, he's a devout Christian. Before I met him I had a pretty negative view of him based on his playing days and how he was portrayed in the media. He's done good things with the WA state teams and that 'puppy dog' perception is probably down to his single minded commitment to the job.

Nah mate. He did a bad thing once which means he's a prick and a typical Aussie cheaterasdadsdamaamahgnn....

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:18 pm 

guy smiley wrote:
I bet you'd like to think you're better than that.

Don't bet, m'kay. Ya gotta have a good track record to back up loose words with real bets.

Stick to talking shit.

That's what bored careers are built on, so why stop now? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:22 pm 

kiap wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
I bet you'd like to think you're better than that.

Don't bet, m'kay. Ya gotta have a good track record to back up loose words with real bets.

Stick to talking shit.

That's what bored careers are built on, so why stop now? :lol:

QED

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:48 am 

Sandstorm wrote:

I do too. He was genuinely tough without acting like a cunt.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:55 am 

So...Mitch Marsh to be named captain? Kill me.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 1:59 am 

Tehui wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:

Ahem

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 2:10 am 

mr bungle wrote:
Tehui wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:

Ahem

That is just the weirdest thing for a player to do. I saw it before when I think you posted it Bungle. I just can't work out how he thought that was ever going to work.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 2:11 am 

MrDominator wrote:

Sir Stephen to you.

I would have preferred Dizzy, but Langer has done a great job at WA, so fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 2:53 am 

mr bungle wrote:
Tehui wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:

Ahem

Yeah! Fuck that guy for doing something silly 14 years ago! WHAT A TYPICAL AUSSIE FKN LOL

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 4:50 am 

guy smiley wrote:
MrDominator wrote:

Well then....looks like he passed the interview :roll:

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:39 am 

guy smiley wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
Tehui wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:

Ahem

That is just the weirdest thing for a player to do. I saw it before when I think you posted it Bungle. I just can't work out how he thought that was ever going to work.

There were a lot of Oz voices asking how that bail came to be on the ground.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:42 am 

Thomas wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
Tehui wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:

Ahem

Yeah! Fuck that guy for doing something silly 14 years ago! WHAT A TYPICAL AUSSIE FKN LOL

I love it. 'Doing something silly' = 'Unsuccessful cheating'

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:49 am 

usermame wrote:
Thomas wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
Tehui wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:

Ahem

I love it. 'Doing something silly' = 'Unsuccessful cheating'

I'm sure if you asked him now he'd be quite contrite about the whole thing. Much like BMac was for being a prick when he ran Murali out that time. Sometimes good guys do silly things.

Personally, I think he's a very solid bloke and has done amazing things with WA. He also isn't backwards in coming forwards when it comes to telling people how he feels.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:14 am 

grievous wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
MrDominator wrote:

Well then....looks like he passed the interview :roll:

The irony is that you're the one who accuses me of having a chip on the shoulder, you sad, bitter little person.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:34 am 

This is just a continuation of the shite culture in the Baggy Greens camp - do not expect any changes

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:42 am 

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/103605165/new-australia-cricket-coach-justin-langer-offers-david-warner-a-lifeline Looks like Davey and co will be back

Also sledging not gooooooonnnnee, https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/103584100/justin-langer-announced-as-aussie-cricket-coach

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:00 am 

jambanja wrote:

Those are some classic Stuff headlines right there.

"Sledging has a place in cricket, says new Australian coach Justin Langer" says the headline.

Quote:
"I think some of the best banter is among each other to get the opposition thinking about other things.

"Mental toughness is simply about being 100 per cent focused on the next ball.

"If you're worrying about what you've just said to me, then there's a distraction.

"But we all know what the acceptable behaviours are.

"There's a difference between competitiveness and aggression and we've got to be careful with that."

Never change, NZ Media. Never change.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:02 am 

Thomas wrote:

errrrr... dude. Let's think a little about media and comments from the public here before we point a finger at any one nation.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:07 am 

guy smiley wrote:
Thomas wrote:

errrrr... dude. Let's think a little about media and comments from the public here before we point a finger at any one nation.

no u