Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: A horrible way to die.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:02 am
Posts: 3788
An old friend of mine has just passed away. He was suffering from "Progressive Supranuclear Palsy". Apparently it can afflict 6 in every 100,000 of the population. He was finally given this diagnosis a couple of years ago, after suffering from symptoms which could have been Parkinson's, but which worsened to the point that he had to be admitted to a nursing home. He would have been in his mid seventies when he died.


When we met, 40 years ago, in Hong Kong, he was a very athletic chap, a wonderful cricketer. For many years he was a keen HASH runner. He loved his rugby, and it was actually he who suggested that I might be interested in Planet Rugby.



For the last year or more he was flat on his back in a nursing home. He gradually lost the ability to speak, to move his eyes, finally he could not even open his mouth. He did not want to be force fed. Fortunately the end came quickly.



He had four children by his first wife, she passed away a long time ago. He married again, and had a daughter. His second wife and daughter made every effort to look after him at home, but he was a big fella, and it just got too much for them to look after his needs at home.


He did see England win the Cricket World Cup, which gave him a lot of pleasure. He had been a very enthusiastic support of UKIP for a very long time, another cause for a modicum of joy at the end of his life.


From this description there might be a poster or two who recognise something of his story. Not sure how to engineer a contact, but I would be very happy to answer questions.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18500
Rule 1 the widow & daughter if over 18


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 26557
Location: Chickenrunning...
wamberal99 wrote:
Not sure how to engineer a contact, but I would be very happy to answer questions.


What's his name?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:35 am
Posts: 5285
Location: England
Sounds horrendous. In his situation I would've wanted to be euthanised long before the point where I couldn't even move my eyes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11592
backrow wrote:
Rule 1 the widow & daughter if over 18

Don’t ever change.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm
Posts: 33837
Location: Planet Rock
wamberal99 wrote:
An old friend of mine has just passed away. He was suffering from "Progressive Supranuclear Palsy". Apparently it can afflict 6 in every 100,000 of the population. He was finally given this diagnosis a couple of years ago, after suffering from symptoms which could have been Parkinson's, but which worsened to the point that he had to be admitted to a nursing home. He would have been in his mid seventies when he died.


When we met, 40 years ago, in Hong Kong, he was a very athletic chap, a wonderful cricketer. For many years he was a keen HASH runner. He loved his rugby, and it was actually he who suggested that I might be interested in Planet Rugby.



For the last year or more he was flat on his back in a nursing home. He gradually lost the ability to speak, to move his eyes, finally he could not even open his mouth. He did not want to be force fed. Fortunately the end came quickly.



He had four children by his first wife, she passed away a long time ago. He married again, and had a daughter. His second wife and daughter made every effort to look after him at home, but he was a big fella, and it just got too much for them to look after his needs at home.


He did see England win the Cricket World Cup, which gave him a lot of pleasure. He had been a very enthusiastic support of UKIP for a very long time, another cause for a modicum of joy at the end of his life.


From this description there might be a poster or two who recognise something of his story. Not sure how to engineer a contact, but I would be very happy to answer questions.

I take issue with your def of quickly


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:25 pm
Posts: 8324
Location: Leafy Cheshire (West)
Anonymous. wrote:
wamberal99 wrote:
An old friend of mine has just passed away. He was suffering from "Progressive Supranuclear Palsy". Apparently it can afflict 6 in every 100,000 of the population. He was finally given this diagnosis a couple of years ago, after suffering from symptoms which could have been Parkinson's, but which worsened to the point that he had to be admitted to a nursing home. He would have been in his mid seventies when he died.


When we met, 40 years ago, in Hong Kong, he was a very athletic chap, a wonderful cricketer. For many years he was a keen HASH runner. He loved his rugby, and it was actually he who suggested that I might be interested in Planet Rugby.



For the last year or more he was flat on his back in a nursing home. He gradually lost the ability to speak, to move his eyes, finally he could not even open his mouth. He did not want to be force fed. Fortunately the end came quickly.



He had four children by his first wife, she passed away a long time ago. He married again, and had a daughter. His second wife and daughter made every effort to look after him at home, but he was a big fella, and it just got too much for them to look after his needs at home.


He did see England win the Cricket World Cup, which gave him a lot of pleasure. He had been a very enthusiastic support of UKIP for a very long time, another cause for a modicum of joy at the end of his life.


From this description there might be a poster or two who recognise something of his story. Not sure how to engineer a contact, but I would be very happy to answer questions.

I take issue with your def of quickly


FFS Anon


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11592
Poor bastard. That’s probably one of the worst ways to go for someone fit and active.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 12015
Location: Melbourne
Frodder wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
wamberal99 wrote:
An old friend of mine has just passed away. He was suffering from "Progressive Supranuclear Palsy". Apparently it can afflict 6 in every 100,000 of the population. He was finally given this diagnosis a couple of years ago, after suffering from symptoms which could have been Parkinson's, but which worsened to the point that he had to be admitted to a nursing home. He would have been in his mid seventies when he died.


When we met, 40 years ago, in Hong Kong, he was a very athletic chap, a wonderful cricketer. For many years he was a keen HASH runner. He loved his rugby, and it was actually he who suggested that I might be interested in Planet Rugby.



For the last year or more he was flat on his back in a nursing home. He gradually lost the ability to speak, to move his eyes, finally he could not even open his mouth. He did not want to be force fed. Fortunately the end came quickly.



He had four children by his first wife, she passed away a long time ago. He married again, and had a daughter. His second wife and daughter made every effort to look after him at home, but he was a big fella, and it just got too much for them to look after his needs at home.


He did see England win the Cricket World Cup, which gave him a lot of pleasure. He had been a very enthusiastic support of UKIP for a very long time, another cause for a modicum of joy at the end of his life.


From this description there might be a poster or two who recognise something of his story. Not sure how to engineer a contact, but I would be very happy to answer questions.

I take issue with your def of quickly


FFS Anon


Edgy, Anon, very edgy. :thumbdown:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm
Posts: 33837
Location: Planet Rock
jdogscoop wrote:
Frodder wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
wamberal99 wrote:
An old friend of mine has just passed away. He was suffering from "Progressive Supranuclear Palsy". Apparently it can afflict 6 in every 100,000 of the population. He was finally given this diagnosis a couple of years ago, after suffering from symptoms which could have been Parkinson's, but which worsened to the point that he had to be admitted to a nursing home. He would have been in his mid seventies when he died.


When we met, 40 years ago, in Hong Kong, he was a very athletic chap, a wonderful cricketer. For many years he was a keen HASH runner. He loved his rugby, and it was actually he who suggested that I might be interested in Planet Rugby.



For the last year or more he was flat on his back in a nursing home. He gradually lost the ability to speak, to move his eyes, finally he could not even open his mouth. He did not want to be force fed. Fortunately the end came quickly.



He had four children by his first wife, she passed away a long time ago. He married again, and had a daughter. His second wife and daughter made every effort to look after him at home, but he was a big fella, and it just got too much for them to look after his needs at home.


He did see England win the Cricket World Cup, which gave him a lot of pleasure. He had been a very enthusiastic support of UKIP for a very long time, another cause for a modicum of joy at the end of his life.


From this description there might be a poster or two who recognise something of his story. Not sure how to engineer a contact, but I would be very happy to answer questions.

I take issue with your def of quickly


FFS Anon


Edgy, Anon, very edgy. :thumbdown:

I was being serious


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 217
This disease killed my dad... Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy - it was a relief when he finally passed

Same disease that killed Dudley Moore as well


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 12403
Funnily enough, I had a vid feed on facebook re the most gruesome deaths. Back in antiquity there are several records of some dude who accidentally speared and killed his own king in a battle. So the troops put him in a boy length basked, heavily bound with just his arms, legs and face outside of it then smeared those parts in honey. Apart from the bugs chewing on him he got dysentry which was a perfect breeding ground for more bugs that eventually ate him from the inside. 17 days apparently.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11122
Huntington's killed my father


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:47 pm
Posts: 4484
Location: Chukity - puck!!!
Sympathies about UKIP


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 26557
Location: Chickenrunning...
LandOTurk wrote:
Funnily enough, I had a vid feed on facebook re the most gruesome deaths. Back in antiquity there are several records of some dude who accidentally speared and killed his own king in a battle. So the troops put him in a boy length basked, heavily bound with just his arms, legs and face outside of it then smeared those parts in honey. Apart from the bugs chewing on him he got dysentry which was a perfect breeding ground for more bugs that eventually ate him from the inside. 17 days apparently.

Luxury


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11476
Location: Coalfalls
Sandstorm wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:
Funnily enough, I had a vid feed on facebook re the most gruesome deaths. Back in antiquity there are several records of some dude who accidentally speared and killed his own king in a battle. So the troops put him in a boy length basked, heavily bound with just his arms, legs and face outside of it then smeared those parts in honey. Apart from the bugs chewing on him he got dysentry which was a perfect breeding ground for more bugs that eventually ate him from the inside. 17 days apparently.

Luxury

:lol: :lol:

Sandstorm you utter, utter, utter etc


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11617
Location: Austin, TX
I had a former work friend die of ALS (Motor Neuron). What was weird is that I spoke to him in early 2017 and he didn't even appear to know he had it, and he was dead by xmas of the same year. I never even found out until a year later. I thought that disease took years to kill you?

Was gutted, he was such a great guy.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:04 am
Posts: 9092
just go to 4chan and u will find 100 more horrendous ways to die than those listed here..


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 23689
jdogscoop wrote:
Frodder wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
wamberal99 wrote:
An old friend of mine has just passed away. He was suffering from "Progressive Supranuclear Palsy". Apparently it can afflict 6 in every 100,000 of the population. He was finally given this diagnosis a couple of years ago, after suffering from symptoms which could have been Parkinson's, but which worsened to the point that he had to be admitted to a nursing home. He would have been in his mid seventies when he died.


When we met, 40 years ago, in Hong Kong, he was a very athletic chap, a wonderful cricketer. For many years he was a keen HASH runner. He loved his rugby, and it was actually he who suggested that I might be interested in Planet Rugby.



For the last year or more he was flat on his back in a nursing home. He gradually lost the ability to speak, to move his eyes, finally he could not even open his mouth. He did not want to be force fed. Fortunately the end came quickly.



He had four children by his first wife, she passed away a long time ago. He married again, and had a daughter. His second wife and daughter made every effort to look after him at home, but he was a big fella, and it just got too much for them to look after his needs at home.


He did see England win the Cricket World Cup, which gave him a lot of pleasure. He had been a very enthusiastic support of UKIP for a very long time, another cause for a modicum of joy at the end of his life.


From this description there might be a poster or two who recognise something of his story. Not sure how to engineer a contact, but I would be very happy to answer questions.

I take issue with your def of quickly


FFS Anon


Edgy, Anon, very edgy. :thumbdown:


Eh whats edgy about that? Over a year bedridden can hardly be described as quickly?? :?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6434
Location: the Confederacy of Dunces
ScarfaceClaw wrote:
backrow wrote:
Rule 1 the widow & daughter if over 18

Don’t ever change.

Actually, do


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14566
ScarfaceClaw wrote:
backrow wrote:
Rule 1 the widow & daughter if over 18

Don’t ever change.

So you’ve got somebody you can feel superior about?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5378
Fatal Familial Insomnia sounds like the worst way to go for me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 34763
LandOTurk wrote:
Funnily enough, I had a vid feed on facebook re the most gruesome deaths. Back in antiquity there are several records of some dude who accidentally speared and killed his own king in a battle. So the troops put him in a boy length basked, heavily bound with just his arms, legs and face outside of it then smeared those parts in honey. Apart from the bugs chewing on him he got dysentry which was a perfect breeding ground for more bugs that eventually ate him from the inside. 17 days apparently.


If anyone has seen the TV show Vikings there is a scene of insane horror about a technique so extreme that no one is fully sure if it really happened or not: the ritual execution of blood eagle, in which victims were kept alive while their backs were sliced open so that their ribs, lungs, and intestines could be pulled out into the shape of bloody wings.

Scene is here if anyone wants to ruin their Saturday night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug6Gez_kPHo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 10:49 am
Posts: 1489
Location: Sunny Plymouth
Seneca of the Night wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:
Funnily enough, I had a vid feed on facebook re the most gruesome deaths. Back in antiquity there are several records of some dude who accidentally speared and killed his own king in a battle. So the troops put him in a boy length basked, heavily bound with just his arms, legs and face outside of it then smeared those parts in honey. Apart from the bugs chewing on him he got dysentry which was a perfect breeding ground for more bugs that eventually ate him from the inside. 17 days apparently.


If anyone has seen the TV show Vikings there is a scene of insane horror about a technique so extreme that no one is fully sure if it really happened or not: the ritual execution of blood eagle, in which victims were kept alive while their backs were sliced open so that their ribs, lungs, and intestines could be pulled out into the shape of bloody wings.

Scene is here if anyone wants to ruin their Saturday night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug6Gez_kPHo
You'd be dead from shock and blood loss long before they removed enough muscle tissue to get to you intestines.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21294
TokenSarriesFan wrote:
Seneca of the Night wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:
Funnily enough, I had a vid feed on facebook re the most gruesome deaths. Back in antiquity there are several records of some dude who accidentally speared and killed his own king in a battle. So the troops put him in a boy length basked, heavily bound with just his arms, legs and face outside of it then smeared those parts in honey. Apart from the bugs chewing on him he got dysentry which was a perfect breeding ground for more bugs that eventually ate him from the inside. 17 days apparently.


If anyone has seen the TV show Vikings there is a scene of insane horror about a technique so extreme that no one is fully sure if it really happened or not: the ritual execution of blood eagle, in which victims were kept alive while their backs were sliced open so that their ribs, lungs, and intestines could be pulled out into the shape of bloody wings.

Scene is here if anyone wants to ruin their Saturday night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug6Gez_kPHo
You'd be dead from shock and blood loss long before they removed enough muscle tissue to get to you intestines.

Meh, just a standard night at torture garden


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11068
True Blue wrote:
I had a former work friend die of ALS (Motor Neuron). What was weird is that I spoke to him in early 2017 and he didn't even appear to know he had it, and he was dead by xmas of the same year. I never even found out until a year later. I thought that disease took years to kill you?

Was gutted, he was such a great guy.


In some, the symptoms mask as other things and it can go undiagnosed for some time. A friends mother started having trouble with losing her voice. Other symptoms appeared over time until she was properly diagnosed with ALS 18 months later and sadly dead 4 months after that.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11476
Location: Coalfalls
Man In Black wrote:
Fatal Familial Insomnia sounds like the worst way to go for me.

Is that when one’s snores so badly one cannot catch a wink? :x


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:07 am
Posts: 2581
Location: Kirikiriroa
comets wrote:
just go to 4chan and u will find 100 more horrendous ways to die than those listed here..


Spend a lot of time there?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5511
Location: A gaf in Bracknell
I run a charity for a disorder that locks people in.

1 in 10 000

The oldest woman I know is 76 and she’s never been able to communicate her intent. Until recent with eye gaze devices.

Even worse it was believed they never developed mentally, that has been proven false recently. Some people have been treated like children for decades.

One of the woman’s first words we please turn that f**king cartoon off. 10 years of little mermaid because they thought it was her favourite movie.

Dying with it is hard, living with it is a lot harder.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:02 am
Posts: 3788
Reminds me of the way that people afflicted with cerebral palsy were treated many years ago, before the more enlightened (and effective) therapies were developed.



I belonged to a church youth group. We had two members who were cerebral palsy sufferers. One of them was a lad, the other was a young girl. He was definitely intelllectually disabled. She made strenuous efforts to communicate, but we all assumed that she was also intellectually disabled. I think everybody made that assumption about cerebral palsy sufferers.


One day she came to our meeting in her wheel chair, with a typewriter in the tray. She was now able to communicate with us, and, to our undying shame, she was actually very bright.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bert, Chilli, Google Adsense [Bot], Laurent, Lazer, number6 and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group