Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 483 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
 Post subject: Re: Best Sci-Fi Novels
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:44 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Brazil wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
sorCrer wrote:
Finished a rereading of Consider Phlebas 5 minutes ago. Damned good. Going to read them all again.

Finished Player of Games recently. Hadn't read it in a long time and was possibly only my second read-through. The epilogue pure Banks. Literally the last two words of the book throwing the entire story into a different context.
The Culture is always in the driving seat and playing several moves ahead of everyone else in the Galactic Game of Thrones. :thumbup:

What was that?

Serious spoilers.

Spoiler: show
In the book, Gurgeh is beating everyone in their giant board game which decides how their society plays out in the Azad Empire. He's ready to beat the sitting emperor in the final, but the emperor goes off the reservation and tries to kill everyone. The small drone Flere-Imsaho, which was assisting Gurgeh, turns out to be an SC agent and goes all pew-pew-pew and saves him. Fairly standard Mind (well, drone) ex Machina in the climax of a Culture novel.
Then, in the epilogue, the F-I reveals that the Culture manipulated Gurgeh into playing the Game in order to bring the Empire crashing down as they disapproved of the social structure. The final two words reveal that F-I actually posed as the psychotic ex-SC drone which early in the novel manipulated Gurgeh into cheating and then blackmailed him into reaching out to SC to do it a favour. That set the entire plot into motion.

The Minds that control the direction in which the Culture develops are many moves ahead of everyone else.

Similarly, the epilogue in Surface Detail revealed that Vatueil, the soldier fighting in the simulated War in Heaven, is actually Zakalwe from Use of Weapons.* In Surface Detail the Culture are at pains to claim no involvement in influencing this simulated war in a different civilisation, but in the end they're right up to their armpits directing other societies to what they feel is a better set-up.

*Vatueil is an anagram of the half-sister, Livueta, he mutilated in UoW (I had to look her name up). The reveal that Zakalwe is actually not the half-brother you think is itself another revealed in the epilogue of UoW.

It's trick he used a lot to completely turn the story you've just read on it's head. Character motivations etc are all under a totally different light now.
He used it a lot, but I've always enjoyed it.

That was a lot longer and more waffly than I intended when I started typing. :lol:

I read it and don't remember any of that :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:32 pm 

The Water Bear. Kind of a bit Iain M Banksy. Especially interesting since hundreds of water bears are now loose on the moon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VNSQ1R5

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:55 am 

I enjoyed book 1 of Asher's Transformation series - the Black AI and all that - but book 2 turned into a real slog. Complexity for the sake of it, given what actually happens is quite straightforward (although he leans on his deus ex machinae a bit too much).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 483 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13