Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4250 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 107  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:57 pm 

So how are pitches looking for the weekend?
All the Marys Pitches are starting to freeze over.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:26 pm 

Bird Ave was a bit crunchy underfoot last night alright.

Playing DLSP tomorrow up in Kirwan Park, Kilternan. I imagine the pitch will provide a nice hard landing at every tackle.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:34 pm 

Forgot my phone so no update from 'Tarf.

I kind of hope games get canceled as French game clashes with the 2 home games

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:08 pm 

Couldn't get our J4 match moved so it will clash with the first 6N game tomorrow, if it goes ahead - supposed to be playing Monkstown but I know our pitch was like rock last night at training.

Been a busy two weeks - our side was, finally, pulled out of the J2 league. About time. No one minds getting beaten because you came up against a better side, but we blatantly don't have the players for that level any more and no one was togging out or training anymore as there is nothing to be achieved by getting hockeyed every week because you are playing at the wrong level.

So Saturday we played Trinity at J4 - good match which they deservedly won. They got 4 well taken tries in the first, 3 from our mistakes, and we got one back in the second while holding them out. Well beaten on the score board, deservedly beaten on the pitch (though not as badly as the score suggests), but the atmosphere around afterwards was a world away from previous weeks - we got beat because we made mistakes, they were better on the day and we know we could do better, not because we just aren't good enough. World of difference - still frustrated and annoyed by the loss but for the right reasons.

Sunday the U21's played Tullow in the cup semi final. Jackman and SOB were there actually, so they were, SOB for the Tullow seniors who played in the Town's Cup directly after. Horrible wet day, close hard match but Tullow had the beating of them in the conditions. Match turned in a five minute period around 60 minutes - 6-0 down our lads were called back to their own 22 with the winger all the way through under the posts for a try because of a call for in front of the kicker. And from the proceeding series of attacks Tullow got a penalty try in the scrums. The CY backs had them but Tullow played the perfect game for the conditions and smothered them. Good match to watch though and very promising for the future - some of those lads will be senior next year and a good chunk are still eligible for the U21s next year to add to the new youngsters being recruited.

Ramble over.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:27 pm 

Seems a bit milder out tonight. Don't know if that will be enough to defrost the pitches though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:40 pm 

LL did CYM firsts lose to trinity j4? What the hell is going on in that place? They were never world beaters but the firsts should be putting 50 on a weakish j4 team like trinity

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:36 am 

Marys J3 lost by about 20pts to Greystones tonight. 14 of us vs about 20 of the bastards. Very annoying due to the fact that we scored 4 trys in the first 30 minutes of each half only to absolutely collapse in the final 10 minutes of each half.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:14 am 

The pitch in Trinity was very crunchy on Thursday night. Will see how it is for the AIL game there later on but we've a game against 'Tarf at 11:30 tomorrow. Needs to be early to be finished for the Wales game. I suspect I'll be torn to shreds by Sunday afternoon.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:16 am 

Leinster - and all their players, of any age - are plum.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am 

Duff Paddy wrote:
LL did CYM firsts lose to trinity j4? What the hell is going on in that place? They were never world beaters but the firsts should be putting 50 on a weakish j4 team like trinity

Our J3s got an actual coach this season. They're doing conditioning in training and have a general attacking gameplan and defensive system. Total novelty but they're winning a heap of games this year. The coach doesn't directly manage the J4s but they train with the J3s so they're in much better nick than they used to be.

Still a pisshead team, but they're somewhat fit and organised.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am 

celestialstorm3000 wrote:

Even the little kiddies- ah Jaysus that is harsh

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:20 am 

EverReady wrote:

Every f**king one of you. plum.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:43 pm 

EverReady wrote:

He has a point

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:47 pm 

LeinsterLion wrote:
Couldn't get our J4 match moved so it will clash with the first 6N game tomorrow, if it goes ahead - supposed to be playing Monkstown but I know our pitch was like rock last night at training.

Been a busy two weeks - our side was, finally, pulled out of the J2 league. About time. No one minds getting beaten because you came up against a better side, but we blatantly don't have the players for that level any more and no one was togging out or training anymore as there is nothing to be achieved by getting hockeyed every week because you are playing at the wrong level.

So Saturday we played Trinity at J4 - good match which they deservedly won. They got 4 well taken tries in the first, 3 from our mistakes, and we got one back in the second while holding them out. Well beaten on the score board, deservedly beaten on the pitch (though not as badly as the score suggests), but the atmosphere around afterwards was a world away from previous weeks - we got beat because we made mistakes, they were better on the day and we know we could do better, not because we just aren't good enough. World of difference - still frustrated and annoyed by the loss but for the right reasons.

Sunday the U21's played Tullow in the cup semi final. Jackman and SOB were there actually, so they were, SOB for the Tullow seniors who played in the Town's Cup directly after. Horrible wet day, close hard match but Tullow had the beating of them in the conditions. Match turned in a five minute period around 60 minutes - 6-0 down our lads were called back to their own 22 with the winger all the way through under the posts for a try because of a call for in front of the kicker. And from the proceeding series of attacks Tullow got a penalty try in the scrums. The CY backs had them but Tullow played the perfect game for the conditions and smothered them. Good match to watch though and very promising for the future - some of those lads will be senior next year and a good chunk are still eligible for the U21s next year to add to the new youngsters being recruited.

Ramble over.

So onlyone team in J4 AND u21s?
Shame, should have played J3, J2 never worked from the start

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:51 pm 

Griev you know as well as I do that nobody was willing to take the brave decisions in that club when they needed to be taken. Shame, they had something good going for a few years there. Compare and contrast with the likes of still organ who don't even have a home ground or clubhouse.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:02 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:
Griev you know as well as I do that nobody was willing to take the brave decisions in that club when they needed to be taken. Shame, they had something good going for a few years there. Compare and contrast with the likes of still organ who don't even have a home ground or clubhouse.

How do you mean brave? LLeagues wasnt sutainable, it also goes back to the bad set up the Leinster branch have in place.
I suppoerted the J2 move if players were attracted but that clearly hasnt happened, the committe has to answer to that

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:05 pm 

The brave decision would have been to emulate still organ, move to J3 when they had the players two seasons ago, get some success and rebuild from there. There's more I'd like to say but obviously I can't post it on here

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:18 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:
The brave decision would have been to emulate still organ, move to J3 when they had the players two seasons ago, get some success and rebuild from there. There's more I'd like to say but obviously I can't post it on here

yes you bloody could, anyway yes that model would best suit. There should be a better comp for metro sides without AIL ambitions, CYM havent been been looked after by the Leinster branch and fall between the wide cracks

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:24 pm 

EverReady wrote:

Champion plum to you,bitter boy.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:27 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:
EverReady wrote:

He has a point

I received a black eye- yes you heard it- a black eye playing for the J5 z team last week despite the fact I am 67. Did I complain? Did I take pictures of it? Did I threaten to sue the club? Did I have to explain in my new job that I am not a bowsy?

We are not plum just sensitive with nice hair

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:41 pm 

J1 game against 'tarf off for tomorrow. Pitch is a mire. Just watched the firsts beat malone in a very physical, dogged game. Couldn't tell who was playing for whom by the end. Mingin conditions.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:45 pm 

Lost 3-0 in a game that can only be described as not one for the neutrals.

Played the full 80 at tighthead, bit of a change from my usual wing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:12 pm 

EverReady wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
EverReady wrote:

He has a point

I received a black eye- yes you heard it- a black eye playing for the J5 z team last week despite the fact I am 67. Did I complain? Did I take pictures of it? Did I threaten to sue the club? Did I have to explain in my new job that I am not a bowsy?

Against the gick ER? How did ye find getting back to proper rugby?
Mossy said to say ye guys are welcome to help out any time. We are tight for numbers so you'll definitely get gametime.

Rug
I can only presume it was uncontested scrums? You are possibly the last person in all of Stillorgan I would pick for contested scrums!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:43 pm 

Rugorilla wrote:

I take it was uncontested - did we miss any kickable kicks sounds like a cracker.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:47 pm 

Uncle Fester wrote:
EverReady wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:

He has a point

Against the gick ER? How did ye find getting back to proper rugby?
Mossy said to say ye guys are welcome to help out any time. We are tight for numbers so you'll definitely get gametime.

Rug
I can only presume it was uncontested scrums? You are possibly the last person in all of Stillorgan I would pick for contested scrums!

It was good craic- was in rag order for the evening but surprisingly sprightly the next day. Give me a shout if you are stuck again- preferably against a shitter side

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:53 pm 

Drop me an email so. uncle.festering@googlemail.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:00 pm 

Uncle Fester wrote:
Drop me an email so. uncle.festering@googlemail.com

Done- I sent a picture of myself as well- in my jocks

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:01 pm 

Good man. I have uploaded the picture to my phone so it can be close to my nether regions at all times.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:14 pm 

Grievous, have CYM pulled out of the J2 league then, not clear from the website and obviously has implications for us re our unplayed game against you and winning the league.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:18 pm 

Uncle Fester wrote:
Good man. I have uploaded the picture to my phone so it can be close to my nether regions at all times.

People would pay big money to see me in my jocks so guard it closely- if you want to show some of your friends I will understand but only 30 or 40 of them

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:39 pm 

Luckycharmer wrote:
Rugorilla wrote:

I take it was uncontested - did we miss any kickable kicks sounds like a cracker.

Yeah uncontested alright, you wouldn't have found me anywhere near the front row otherwise. Had another back behind me in the second row. A bit of a taste of the future perhaps for when the middle age spread hits in a few years time.

Had maybe two shots at goal all match, neither of them easy considering the wind across the pitch. DLSP had two or three shots as well before finally getting one over with five mins to go.

Rumours of a cameo from yourself were unfounded?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:41 pm 

Rugorilla wrote:
Luckycharmer wrote:
Rugorilla wrote:

Yeah uncontested alright, you wouldn't have found me anywhere near the front row otherwise. Had another back behind me in the second row. A bit of a taste of the future perhaps for when the middle age spread hits in a few years time.

Had maybe two shots at goal all match, neither of them easy considering the wind across the pitch. DLSP had two or three shots as well before finally getting one over with five mins to go.

he does that only when the "Press" is in attendance ;)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:43 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:

You don't seem to get it - there is no firsts. Even when they were playing in the J2 there wasn't the quality of firsts as you would have known them. And even with the few players that remain from what would have been the firsts at the peak a few years (and bear in mind they are all years older) the overall standard of the J4 side is still lower than the J4 sides from that peak.

grievous wrote:
So onlyone team in J4 AND u21s?
Shame, should have played J3, J2 never worked from the start

Yep, for now. Next season is still undecided. I don't think J3 would have made a difference - the difference in standard between J3 and J2 is minimal

Duff Paddy wrote:

Duff Paddy wrote:

To be fair, no one was to know that change would be as drastic and negative as it has been. I have been looking at teamsheets and photos from that good season at the peak, where the firsts won 4 and had 4 losing bonus points and most of the seconds side were genuinely pushing for places in the first XV. As I said above, there are minimal players from that side remaning, and I don't just mean from the 1sts. Of the entire panal of players for one particular weekend, with two full 21 man sides, 8 injuries and 6 players unavailable, 5 remain. Five. And I'm one of them.

There's only so much you can do about that too - between players inevitably getting older (much of the side when you think about it), moving back home, emigrating, giving up the game, there is an entire club lost....

Moving to J3 a couple of years ago would have made no difference. The slide had begun and the quality wasn't and isn't there. It's not a slight on the players that are there just a reality check and an honest assessment they themselves have already made about the standard of the side relative to the leagues they were played in.

The problem for the club is that without feeder schools there needs to be a clear plan to develop for the future. And I agree, for a long time there wasn't. But at that time there wasn't the desperate need there is now - there were loads of young players, plenty of new ones each year, a great social scene around the club leading to recruitment on a large scale but without a proper structure. And as I was someone who spent a lot of time and much effort trying to change that I can understand your criticism to some extent. But again it comes back to a need and looking back in hindsight. The U21s now are EXACTLY what the club needs, and the efforts being made in all the surrounding rugby schools to continue that are admirable. And yes, that probably was needed a few years ago - but no one could have forseen what happened, not to the extent it did.

I appreciate you don't want to talk too much on the bored about it, but I'd love to hear more of your thoughts if you get a second to drop me an email - your viewpoint in particular as someone who was there for some of the "good" and the start of the "bad" and no longer involved would be much appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:44 pm 

piaras wrote:
Grievous, have CYM pulled out of the J2 league then, not clear from the website and obviously has implications for us re our unplayed game against you and winning the league.

Yes. Don't know what that means with regards to results etc, sorry.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:03 pm 

LeinsterLion wrote:
piaras wrote:

Yes. Don't know what that means with regards to results etc, sorry.

Cheers LL, hope J3 goes better for you.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:18 pm 

Rugorilla wrote:
Luckycharmer wrote:
Rugorilla wrote:

Got in this morning to see my name in the panel even though I have not trained since Sept and no one been in contact with me to find out if available which I wasn't. Still debating whether to bring my boots on tour or not.

Quote:
LL wrote
Yep, for now. Next season is still undecided. I don't think J3 would have made a difference - the difference in standard between J3 and J2 is minimal

There is a big difference between J2 and J3 as our first team has found this year - the top teams at J2 are alot better then any J3 teams.

LL your club have a lot more going for it then ours your own grounds/bar etc plus you have more of a feeder system in your under 21s then we do. Do you have a good up to date website? How often do you tour?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:31 pm 

Luckycharmer wrote:
Rugorilla wrote:
Luckycharmer wrote:
Rugorilla wrote:

Got in this morning to see my name in the panel even though I have not trained since Sept and no one been in contact with me to find out if available which I wasn't. Still debating whether to bring my boots on tour or not.

Quote:
LL wrote

There is a big difference between J2 and J3 as our first team has found this year - the top teams at J2 are alot better then any J3 teams.

LL your club have a lot more going for it then ours your own grounds/bar etc plus you have more of a feeder system in your under 21s then we do. Do you have a good up to date website? How often do you tour?

yeah would have to agree with LC, unless things have changed dramatically this year, there is a fair old difference between J2 and J3, obviously less so between the top J3 and bottom J2 but it's still a notch better in general.
As regards the regards criticisms of the club, that is something to be discussed over a pint, this certainly isn't the place for it, I made my position fairly clear at the time IIRC! LC knows I admire what Stillorgan have achieved - you're talking about a club there that could easily have faded away into obscurity. Same for Parkmore, who are probably not safe yet. Not easy seeing a club go into decline and also all of the voluntary hard work of the committee go unrewarded. There is a great glimmer of hope with the U21's though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:18 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:
Luckycharmer wrote:
Rugorilla wrote:
Luckycharmer wrote:
Rugorilla wrote:

Quote:
LL wrote

yeah would have to agree with LC, unless things have changed dramatically this year, there is a fair old difference between J2 and J3, obviously less so between the top J3 and bottom J2 but it's still a notch better in general.
As regards the regards criticisms of the club, that is something to be discussed over a pint, this certainly isn't the place for it, I made my position fairly clear at the time IIRC! LC knows I admire what Stillorgan have achieved - you're talking about a club there that could easily have faded away into obscurity. Same for Parkmore, who are probably not safe yet. Not easy seeing a club go into decline and also all of the voluntary hard work of the committee go unrewarded. There is a great glimmer of hope with the U21's though.

You get alot of very good players who could play 1st, J1s but don't want to commit to it and want to play social rugby. We won the J3 league a couple of years ago and are competive enough at J2 - they have also received a few thrashings mainly by Lansdowne, they got thrashed by Clontarf and then they beat them last week. If they have a couple of injuries they really struggle- our 2nds unfortunately as predicted are in a level too high for them and have got some big beatings.
I remember 5/6 years there were nights when we only had 5/6 players down training. Our problem is we don't get enough experienced players joining.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:06 pm 

Are your seconds in J3 LC?
That's daft. They are a very solid J4 team but nowhere near strong enough for J3.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:38 pm 

Uncle Fester wrote:
Are your seconds in J3 LC?
That's daft. They are a very solid J4 team but nowhere near strong enough for J3.

No they are in J4 Sec A - they should be in Section B or C they have barely won any league games in last 2 seasons which doesn't do much for Player retention at that level.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4250 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 107  Next