Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:42 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 886 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:16 pm 

Right, there's a Press Conf at 4am by WR.

We (the wider meeja) believe the games will be called off due to stadium/public/transport fears- the cyclone is much tougher than the previous one which brought Tokyo to a standstill.

If this is the case, Japan top their pool, Ire runners up, assuming they beat Samoa (which they might not!), Scots out. (we think!).

England top theirs. Not sure of other implications

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:17 pm 

Jake wrote:

We (the wider meeja) believe the games will be called off due to stadium/public/transport fears- the cyclone is much tougher than the previous one which brought Tokyo to a standstill.

If this is the case, Japan top their pool, Ire runners up, assuming they beat Samoa (which they might not!), Scots out. (we think!).

Why don't they just play the games behind closed doors in Seoul or Beijing?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:18 pm 

Is this the revelation that was going to rock the world?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:23 pm 

Frodder wrote:

Howley bet on a draw for Japan-Scotland.

What time zone 4AM, Jake?

Frodder wrote:

:shock: Rob Howley controls the weather!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:26 pm 

LandOTurk wrote:

UK time.

Just to add, there is a chance of moving the dates and they're also looking at this.

It's all in flux.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:26 pm 

crash 669 wrote:
Frodder wrote:

:shock: Rob Howley controls the weather!

Or he thought - Japan , RWC, during the typhoon season.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:27 pm 

Seneca of the Night wrote:
Jake wrote:

Why don't they just play the games behind closed doors in Seoul or Beijing?

Probably the fact that planes don't do too well in hurricanes....and the logistics needed to move probably 300 people minimum to get the game on- 50 from each team, plus officials, stattos, medics, press....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:27 pm 

For fcuk sake.

Scotland must be spewing. An absolute shambles.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:30 pm 

Rumham wrote:
For fcuk sake.

Scotland must be spewing. An absolute shambles.

God has his favourites, and it ain't the Scots

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:31 pm 

Jake wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:

UK time.

Just to add, there is a chance of moving the dates and they're also looking at this.

It's all in flux.

Just like the weather. :uhoh:

Cheers for the info.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:33 pm 

An omni-shambles.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:38 pm 

The good thing about having a miserable sporting record and the depression that stems from it means situations like these merely register as 'typical' on the disappointment scale.

I don't believe in god but I've blamed him plenty of times for Scotlands misfortune. I think he's a bit of a twat.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:42 pm 

I’ll be as happy as anyone if Japan knock Scotland out but it should be earned on the pitch. Play it on Monday.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:43 pm 

Tonga USA must be fücked as well

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:44 pm 

Still don't believe this will happen. They'll actually send Scotland home rather than reschedule? Surely not.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:45 pm 

ElPablo wrote:
The good thing about having a miserable sporting record and the depression that stems from it means situations like these merely register as 'typical' on the disappointment scale.

I don't believe in god but I've blamed him plenty of times for Scotlands misfortune. I think he's a bit of a twat.

:lol: That's just it.. I'm not even angry.. just thinking 'typical'. To be honest we only have ourselves to blame after that insipid first performance. Of course the annoying thing is we had shown a measured improvement in the last two to give us that glimmer of hope.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:46 pm 

Cabbage wrote:
Still don't believe this will happen. They'll actually send Scotland home rather than reschedule? Surely not.

I agree. But then what is their reasoning for NOT doing the same with the other game? Shirley other plum oops will protest that it is unfair boo hoo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:46 pm 

"Divine Wind" anybody?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:47 pm 

When do we get the angry Alistair Campbell tweet?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:47 pm 

ManInTheBar wrote:
Cabbage wrote:

I agree. But then what is their reasoning for NOT doing the same with the other game? Shirley other plum oops will protest that it is unfair boo hoo

Cancelling BOTH is the talk at the top of the page.
Also thread title.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:49 pm 

ElPablo wrote:

Calvinist Predestination. He knows you're going to think he's a twat, so he goes here, have some of typhoon haggis.

For eternity.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:50 pm 

HKCJ wrote:
ElPablo wrote:

:lol: That's just it.. I'm not even angry.. just thinking 'typical'. To be honest we only have ourselves to blame after that insipid first performance. Of course the annoying thing is we had shown a measured improvement in the last two to give us that glimmer of hope.

Nah. What if you had played well and still got nothing. This ain't Scotland's fault.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:53 pm 

I do question the organisation of an event like this in the middle of the typhoon season with no apparent plan B. I really can't remember many years living in Tokyo that we didn't get at least one typhoon in Sep/Oct.

ManInTheBar wrote:
Cabbage wrote:

Tournament rules are clear, no rescheduling of pool games to the following day:

Quote:
Cancelled Matches
Where a pool Match cannot be commenced on the day in which it is scheduled, it shall not be postponed to thefollowing day, and shall be considered as cancelled. In such situations, the result shall be declared a draw andTeams will be allocated two Match points each and no score registered. For the avoidance of doubt, no bonuspoints will be awarded.

Cancelling the game entirely would be a joke. Basically the organisers would be awarding Japan a QF place without having to earn it, and denying us our chance to earn it for ourselves.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:55 pm 

Japan are not coming out of this looking good. I knew I was right to smile judiciously whilst watching Ip Man absolutely fücking batter that Japanese Karate master in the film of the same name. Well done Ip Man and for shame Japan, for shame.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:55 pm 

LandOTurk wrote:
HKCJ wrote:
ElPablo wrote:

Nah. What if you had played well and still got nothing. This ain't Scotland's fault.

The non-performance in the Ireland game means there will be no sympathy for Scotland, whichever way they go out - be it by typhoon, Japan or a QF horsing. It was that bad. It's not called Hurricane Haggis for nothing - it's divine retribution for what happened in Yokohama two weeks ago.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:56 pm 

To be fair if anyone can let a grievance go and not bear a grudge for all time its the Scots.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:57 pm 

What's the weather like for Monday? Surely reschedule it for then.

It isn't fair to potentially have just 5 days to turnaround for a QF but it's better than nothing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:00 pm 

This makes me laugh. I've played rugby in Japan during a typhoon with 35° heat and 120% humidity and it was quite easy.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:04 pm 

Blackrock Bullet wrote:

It isn't fair to potentially have just 5 days to turnaround for a QF but it's better than nothing.

The weather for Sunday evening , when the game is meant to be played, will be ok. It’s people travelling in the 24 hours beforehand that they’ll worry about.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:06 pm 

Plato'sCave wrote:
Japan are not coming out of this looking good. I knew I was right to smile judiciously whilst watching Ip Man absolutely fücking batter that Japanese Karate master in the film of the same name. Well done Ip Man and for shame Japan, for shame.

Is your name Jason? I once worked with a Leekist who worshipped Ipman, but his spelling was worse than yours.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:06 pm 

I'm actually really bummed out about this. Any missed games feels like it cheapens the competition, even if its Tonga V USA.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:08 pm 

fatcat wrote:
This makes me laugh. I've played rugby in Japan during a typhoon with 35° heat and 120% humidity and it was quite easy.

Against Thurrock?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:12 pm 

Apropos of nothing the first ever Fuji Rock festival was also held in a typhoon with the Chili Peppers playing a memorable set in torrential rain but the festival was cancelled on the Sunday.

Last edited by HKCJ on Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:13 pm 

Doc Rob wrote:
Cancelling the game entirely would be a joke. Basically the organisers would be awarding Japan a QF place without having to earn it, and denying us our chance to earn it for ourselves.

What do you call winning all their games up to this point? It's not their fault they beat opposition Scotland couldn't.

Every team knew going into the tournament that cancellation was a possibility and started off on the same footing.

It's deeply unsatisfactory, but it is not a joke and Scotland are not being particularly hard done by.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:14 pm 

Biffer29 wrote:
Blackrock Bullet wrote:

The weather for Sunday evening , when the game is meant to be played, will be ok. It’s people travelling in the 24 hours beforehand that they’ll worry about.

FFS. Just give the fans affected a full refund. If the fans are silly enough to still try and brave the elements, then it's on them. WR's job is to get the game played.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:17 pm 

ManInTheBar wrote:
Plato'sCave wrote:

Is your name Jason? I once worked with a Leekist who worshipped Ipman, but his spelling was worse than yours.

No, I’m not Jason.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 886 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23  Next