Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56062 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1368, 1369, 1370, 1371, 1372, 1373, 1374 ... 1402  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 12:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:07 pm
Posts: 6948
camroc1 wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
You talk about sacrifices all you like it’s all window dressing, the bottom line is the average income to house price ratio that is now completely out of whack compared to our parents generation. But it’s a worldwide problem not unique to Ireland


Talk to a QS about the cost of building and you'll see the problem, alright. It's unaffordably expensive for average people.

There are solutions.

Cap windfall gains on change in zoning to resi

Build higher

Reduce government taxation on new builds (ie VAT)

Revise certain aspects of building rega

etc etc.


Build higher is a no brainer. But it is coming.

Irish building regs don't lead to cheap buildings Ireland. NZEB is an abortion of a regulation for example that only drives building costs through the roof.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 1:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3995
Irish building regs are principally the same as most EU countries.

Why do you say that about NZEB regs? (Genuinely interested in a discussion here not slating you)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 1:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:07 pm
Posts: 6948
MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:
Irish building regs are principally the same as most EU countries.

Why do you say that about NZEB regs? (Genuinely interested in a discussion here not slating you)


NZEB regulations require U-values that are unheard of in other countries. I can't say I'm familiar with other countries but are mechanical fresh air systems required there as standard? A standard house in Ireland going forward is now effectively a Passive House so good luck finding the budget for that.

I've had a peek at several tender docs for social housing recently and the minimum requirements for windows are aluminium framed, triple glazed for social housing. All with a nice 10 grand heatpump for a one bed apartment. That stuff adds up...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 4:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 33864
Rumham wrote:
MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:
Irish building regs are principally the same as most EU countries.

Why do you say that about NZEB regs? (Genuinely interested in a discussion here not slating you)


NZEB regulations require U-values that are unheard of in other countries. I can't say I'm familiar with other countries but are mechanical fresh air systems required there as standard? A standard house in Ireland going forward is now effectively a Passive House so good luck finding the budget for that.

I've had a peek at several tender docs for social housing recently and the minimum requirements for windows are aluminium framed, triple glazed for social housing. All with a nice 10 grand heatpump for a one bed apartment. That stuff adds up...

'Passive House' is impossible to achieve, but 'near Passive House" adds between 20 - 25% to the build cost.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 8776
Location: Watson city, MN
Sure has kicked off in Darndale. I had to laugh at Aodhan O'Riordain's quotes:
Quote:
Now is the time to intervene and nip this in the bud. We have been actively campaigning for a garda station locally for this expanding community.

Bit late for a nip in the bud; you've got a full on rhododendron infestation brother.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20130
Yer wan who fell off the swing really seems to have caught public attention for how ridiculous she is. I've just seen a post about it on LinkedIn of all places.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10304
Location: Best country in the world.
They always had a reputation as being a socially conscious employer but this is way out there compared to their peers.
https://www.independent.ie/business/in- ... 40193.html


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 49473
danthefan wrote:
Yer wan who fell off the swing really seems to have caught public attention for how ridiculous she is. I've just seen a post about it on LinkedIn of all places.


It's just madness. I wonder did she try it on with the hotel and their reaction rubbed her up the wrong way (deservedly, if so) so she kept going out of stubbornness? She's done herself loads of damage but also the party. She could save the party's blushes if she withdrew the claim but probably not hers so she'll probably take it to its conclusion.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 986
CM11 wrote:
danthefan wrote:
Yer wan who fell off the swing really seems to have caught public attention for how ridiculous she is. I've just seen a post about it on LinkedIn of all places.


It's just madness. I wonder did she try it on with the hotel and their reaction rubbed her up the wrong way (deservedly, if so) so she kept going out of stubbornness? She's done herself loads of damage but also the party. She could save the party's blushes if she withdrew the claim but probably not hers so she'll probably take it to its conclusion.



If you check out the Wiki page for her auld fella John Bailey you'll see the apple hasn't fallen far from the tree. Brazenness runs deep in this family it would seem!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 26714
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Ba ... politician)

:lol: you weren’t joking f**king hell


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 49473
Duff Paddy wrote:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bailey_(Irish_politician)

:lol: you weren’t joking f**king hell


x(


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 12901
CM11 wrote:
danthefan wrote:
Yer wan who fell off the swing really seems to have caught public attention for how ridiculous she is. I've just seen a post about it on LinkedIn of all places.


It's just madness. I wonder did she try it on with the hotel and their reaction rubbed her up the wrong way (deservedly, if so) so she kept going out of stubbornness? She's done herself loads of damage but also the party. She could save the party's blushes if she withdrew the claim but probably not hers so she'll probably take it to its conclusion.

Withdrawing the claim would be political suicide.

She has no choice but to win.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 49473
anonymous_joe wrote:
CM11 wrote:
danthefan wrote:
Yer wan who fell off the swing really seems to have caught public attention for how ridiculous she is. I've just seen a post about it on LinkedIn of all places.


It's just madness. I wonder did she try it on with the hotel and their reaction rubbed her up the wrong way (deservedly, if so) so she kept going out of stubbornness? She's done herself loads of damage but also the party. She could save the party's blushes if she withdrew the claim but probably not hers so she'll probably take it to its conclusion.

Withdrawing the claim would be political suicide.

She has no choice but to win.


She has already committed political suicide. Win or lose.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 31242
Location: Pigdogistan
Hopefully she's doing us all a favour in the long run, drawing such public attention to a ridiculous claim, that attitudes to awarding big damages for trivial PIs are a bit less generous.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 12901
Nah, voters have short memories.

Still glad to see a TD get stung by the hostility they've fostered. I've no doubts her case has been grossly mischaracterised but FG, the Central Bank et al have been content to endorse the insurers' views.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 33864
anonymous_joe wrote:
CM11 wrote:
danthefan wrote:
Yer wan who fell off the swing really seems to have caught public attention for how ridiculous she is. I've just seen a post about it on LinkedIn of all places.


It's just madness. I wonder did she try it on with the hotel and their reaction rubbed her up the wrong way (deservedly, if so) so she kept going out of stubbornness? She's done herself loads of damage but also the party. She could save the party's blushes if she withdrew the claim but probably not hers so she'll probably take it to its conclusion.

Withdrawing the claim would be political suicide.

She has no choice but to win.

So, AJ, do you believe adults need to be told to hold on to swings as otherwise they might fall off ?
Or is it something they should intrinsically know, like lighting a match and holding it against your skin will burn you ?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10304
Location: Best country in the world.
ruckinhell wrote:
CM11 wrote:
danthefan wrote:
Yer wan who fell off the swing really seems to have caught public attention for how ridiculous she is. I've just seen a post about it on LinkedIn of all places.


It's just madness. I wonder did she try it on with the hotel and their reaction rubbed her up the wrong way (deservedly, if so) so she kept going out of stubbornness? She's done herself loads of damage but also the party. She could save the party's blushes if she withdrew the claim but probably not hers so she'll probably take it to its conclusion.



If you check out the Wiki page for her auld fella John Bailey you'll see the apple hasn't fallen far from the tree. Brazenness runs deep in this family it would seem!


Well known in the party as a total chancer.......allegedly.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 1:32 pm
Posts: 336
This might help some people with deciding their order for the MEP elections. http://whichcandidate.ie/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 49473
anonymous_joe wrote:
Nah, voters have short memories.

Still glad to see a TD get stung by the hostility they've fostered. I've no doubts her case has been grossly mischaracterised but FG, the Central Bank et al have been content to endorse the insurers' views.


I presume 'al' is short for solicitors/barristers/judges?

And how is her case 'grossly mischaracterised'? She fell off a swing when not just not holding on but having something in both her hands so she couldn't grasp onto anything when she became unbalanced. She then claims she should have been supervised. Is that really the type of person we want representing us? Someone who needs supervision on a bloody swing?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 986
She's already getting hammered as a result of the case so she might as well continue to pursue it and hope for a cash dividend to offset the political damage. Her case has done untold damage to her reputation and if opponents can't make hay on this in the hustings for the next GE they don't deserve to be elected.


This has been a bad month for FG between the broadband farce, Waterford mortuary and Swinglash; they'll have to hope the events in Westminister will go nuclear and help muddy the memories of people ahead of the next election.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 26714
anonymous_joe wrote:
CM11 wrote:
danthefan wrote:
Yer wan who fell off the swing really seems to have caught public attention for how ridiculous she is. I've just seen a post about it on LinkedIn of all places.


It's just madness. I wonder did she try it on with the hotel and their reaction rubbed her up the wrong way (deservedly, if so) so she kept going out of stubbornness? She's done herself loads of damage but also the party. She could save the party's blushes if she withdrew the claim but probably not hers so she'll probably take it to its conclusion.

Withdrawing the claim would be political suicide.

She has no choice but to win.


It will be a superb example of a Pyrrhic victory if she does. The swings weren’t supervised :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 26714
anonymous_joe wrote:
Nah, voters have short memories.

Still glad to see a TD get stung by the hostility they've fostered. I've no doubts her case has been grossly mischaracterised but FG, the Central Bank et al have been content to endorse the insurers' views.


:lol: :lol: :lol: the arch troll returns


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10304
Location: Best country in the world.
ruckinhell wrote:
She's already getting hammered as a result of the case so she might as well continue to pursue it and hope for a cash dividend to offset the political damage. Her case has done untold damage to her reputation and if opponents can't make hay on this in the hustings for the next GE they don't deserve to be elected.


This has been a bad month for FG between the broadband farce, Waterford mortuary and Swinglash; they'll have to hope the events in Westminister will go nuclear and help muddy the memories of people ahead of the next election.


Last edited by The Sun God on Thu May 23, 2019 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10304
Location: Best country in the world.
The Sun God wrote:
ruckinhell wrote:
She's already getting hammered as a result of the case so she might as well continue to pursue it and hope for a cash dividend to offset the political damage. Her case has done untold damage to her reputation and if opponents can't make hay on this in the hustings for the next GE they don't deserve to be elected.


This has been a bad month for FG between the broadband farce, Waterford mortuary and Swinglash; they'll have to hope the events in Westminister will go nuclear and help muddy the memories of people ahead of the next election.


She is suing for 60K. Her earnings as a TD, were a Dail to sit for a full term, would be in excess of 1 million. Her risk management is crap .


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:47 pm
Posts: 2847
CarrotGawks wrote:
This might help some people with deciding their order for the MEP elections. http://whichcandidate.ie/

Quote:
No candidate matches your views. Every considered running for election?

Well that was helpful!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 986
The Sun God wrote:
ruckinhell wrote:
She's already getting hammered as a result of the case so she might as well continue to pursue it and hope for a cash dividend to offset the political damage. Her case has done untold damage to her reputation and if opponents can't make hay on this in the hustings for the next GE they don't deserve to be elected.


This has been a bad month for FG between the broadband farce, Waterford mortuary and Swinglash; they'll have to hope the events in Westminister will go nuclear and help muddy the memories of people ahead of the next election.


She is suing for 60K. Her earnings as a TD, were a Dail to sit for a full term, would be in excess of 1 million. Her risk management is crap .


Agreed- my guess is that she was hoping for a settlement before it went to court and the hotel decided to fully defend and it snowballed. Once it's out in the open though there's no benefit to withdrawing the case, she can't put the public humiliation genie back in the bottle.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 1:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 16050
camroc1 wrote:
nardol wrote:
https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/dublin-td-maria-bailey-who-fell-off-swing-wasnt-holding-on-properly-hotel-claims-38132076.html


60k because she is apparently never learned to use a swing as a child ... these are the ones who are supposed to reform the insurance bollox.... no wonder reform is not forthcoming

I'd imagine she wasn't pre-loaded with 3 or 4 Gs&Ts before using the swing as a child.


Has Cammy flipped opinion from defending her to being critical? If that's because he has changed opinion due to more facts becoming available - more power to you!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 1:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 31242
Location: Pigdogistan
de_Selby wrote:
CarrotGawks wrote:
This might help some people with deciding their order for the MEP elections. http://whichcandidate.ie/

Quote:
No candidate matches your views. Every considered running for election?

Well that was helpful!

Lol. All suggestions were FG, bit only 60-odd %.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 1:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 49473
Nolanator wrote:
de_Selby wrote:
CarrotGawks wrote:
This might help some people with deciding their order for the MEP elections. http://whichcandidate.ie/

Quote:
No candidate matches your views. Every considered running for election?

Well that was helpful!

Lol. All suggestions were FG, bit only 60-odd %.


You didn't get Barry Andrews as well as the two FG candidates? 63% for all three.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 1:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 33864
nardol wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
nardol wrote:
https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/dublin-td-maria-bailey-who-fell-off-swing-wasnt-holding-on-properly-hotel-claims-38132076.html


60k because she is apparently never learned to use a swing as a child ... these are the ones who are supposed to reform the insurance bollox.... no wonder reform is not forthcoming

I'd imagine she wasn't pre-loaded with 3 or 4 Gs&Ts before using the swing as a child.


Has Cammy flipped opinion from defending her to being critical? If that's because he has changed opinion due to more facts becoming available - more power to you!

I'd like to know where I defended Ms Baily. Suggesting she fell off because she had one too many Gs and Ts is certainly not defending her in my book! !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 1:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:07 pm
Posts: 6948
The Sun God wrote:
They always had a reputation as being a socially conscious employer but this is way out there compared to their peers.
https://www.independent.ie/business/in- ... 40193.html


I'd genuinely prefer to go to work.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1868
de_Selby wrote:
CarrotGawks wrote:
This might help some people with deciding their order for the MEP elections. http://whichcandidate.ie/

Quote:
No candidate matches your views. Every considered running for election?

Well that was helpful!


I got the same - my top match was 44%!

At least I can proudly say that I don't share a single policy with Ming Flanagan! I was surprised that I had anything in common with PBP (Asylum seekers as it turns out).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10304
Location: Best country in the world.
ruckinhell wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
ruckinhell wrote:
She's already getting hammered as a result of the case so she might as well continue to pursue it and hope for a cash dividend to offset the political damage. Her case has done untold damage to her reputation and if opponents can't make hay on this in the hustings for the next GE they don't deserve to be elected.


This has been a bad month for FG between the broadband farce, Waterford mortuary and Swinglash; they'll have to hope the events in Westminister will go nuclear and help muddy the memories of people ahead of the next election.


She is suing for 60K. Her earnings as a TD, were a Dail to sit for a full term, would be in excess of 1 million. Her risk management is crap .


Agreed- my guess is that she was hoping for a settlement before it went to court and the hotel decided to fully defend and it snowballed. Once it's out in the open though there's no benefit to withdrawing the case, she can't put the public humiliation genie back in the bottle.


Very possible alright.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10304
Location: Best country in the world.
Rumham wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
They always had a reputation as being a socially conscious employer but this is way out there compared to their peers.
https://www.independent.ie/business/in- ... 40193.html


I'd genuinely prefer to go to work.


:lol: Ditto.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 49473
The Sun God wrote:
Rumham wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
They always had a reputation as being a socially conscious employer but this is way out there compared to their peers.
https://www.independent.ie/business/in- ... 40193.html


I'd genuinely prefer to go to work.


:lol: Ditto.


They've probably taken a calculated risk on that!

But if it's the first 6 months then the mother will more than likely be off anyway so the Dads can just golf on paid leave for that period......


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 3:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 12901
CM11 wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:
Nah, voters have short memories.

Still glad to see a TD get stung by the hostility they've fostered. I've no doubts her case has been grossly mischaracterised but FG, the Central Bank et al have been content to endorse the insurers' views.


I presume 'al' is short for solicitors/barristers/judges?

And how is her case 'grossly mischaracterised'? She fell off a swing when not just not holding on but having something in both her hands so she couldn't grasp onto anything when she became unbalanced. She then claims she should have been supervised. Is that really the type of person we want representing us? Someone who needs supervision on a bloody swing?

The case as presented in the media couldn't succeed.

Standard of care looks at:-

1. Likelihood of injury;
2. Severity of injury;
3. Cost of prevention;
4. General utility/Public policy.

1. Half the birds in Ireland have taken a picture on that swing. Injury is therefore extremely unlikely.

2. Severity of injury - bog-standard PI soft-tissue injuries, not much relevance herein.

3. Cost - miniscule, but not really relevant.

4. General utility/public policy - swings are class.

No competent lawyer is going to issue the case as described in the media, because it's extremely unlikely to succeed. Which suggests to me that the garbled reporting of the case isn't accurate.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 3:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5958
anonymous_joe wrote:
CM11 wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:
Nah, voters have short memories.

Still glad to see a TD get stung by the hostility they've fostered. I've no doubts her case has been grossly mischaracterised but FG, the Central Bank et al have been content to endorse the insurers' views.


I presume 'al' is short for solicitors/barristers/judges?

And how is her case 'grossly mischaracterised'? She fell off a swing when not just not holding on but having something in both her hands so she couldn't grasp onto anything when she became unbalanced. She then claims she should have been supervised. Is that really the type of person we want representing us? Someone who needs supervision on a bloody swing?

The case as presented in the media couldn't succeed.

Standard of care looks at:-

1. Likelihood of injury;
2. Severity of injury;
3. Cost of prevention;
4. General utility/Public policy.

1. Half the birds in Ireland have taken a picture on that swing. Injury is therefore extremely unlikely.

2. Severity of injury - bog-standard PI soft-tissue injuries, not much relevance herein.

3. Cost - miniscule, but not really relevant.

4. General utility/public policy - swings are class.

No competent lawyer is going to issue the case as described in the media, because it's extremely unlikely to succeed. Which suggests to me that the garbled reporting of the case isn't accurate.


Maybe the poor innocent solicitor was "misled" like all those who take the cases for the knackers.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 3:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 26714
How was he supposed to know that she wasn’t actually an Olympic standard runner before this dreadful accident


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 49473
anonymous_joe wrote:
CM11 wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:
Nah, voters have short memories.

Still glad to see a TD get stung by the hostility they've fostered. I've no doubts her case has been grossly mischaracterised but FG, the Central Bank et al have been content to endorse the insurers' views.


I presume 'al' is short for solicitors/barristers/judges?

And how is her case 'grossly mischaracterised'? She fell off a swing when not just not holding on but having something in both her hands so she couldn't grasp onto anything when she became unbalanced. She then claims she should have been supervised. Is that really the type of person we want representing us? Someone who needs supervision on a bloody swing?

The case as presented in the media couldn't succeed.

Standard of care looks at:-

1. Likelihood of injury;
2. Severity of injury;
3. Cost of prevention;
4. General utility/Public policy.

1. Half the birds in Ireland have taken a picture on that swing. Injury is therefore extremely unlikely.

2. Severity of injury - bog-standard PI soft-tissue injuries, not much relevance herein.

3. Cost - miniscule, but not really relevant.

4. General utility/public policy - swings are class.

No competent lawyer is going to issue the case as described in the media, because it's extremely unlikely to succeed. Which suggests to me that the garbled reporting of the case isn't accurate.


You missed 5. If the judge likes the plaintiff, believes her to be credible and is off his meds, again, that day.

She's playing the odds and trying to push a settlement. I'd say it came out in the media as part of that push..


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 12901
Desperate.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56062 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1368, 1369, 1370, 1371, 1372, 1373, 1374 ... 1402  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BokJock, brat, brokerGObroke, crash 669, Crazy Ed, dinsdale, Doc Rob, duke, eweeg, feckwanker, Google Adsense [Bot], handyman, I like haggis, Insane_Homer, irishrugbyua, Kiwias, Leinsterbloke, Mick Mannock, Mr Mike, Nobleman, Oxbow, penguin, Raggs, Sandstorm, sockwithaticket, tabascoboy, Taranaki Snapper, Ted., Toulon's Not Toulouse, toweliechaos, Turbogoat, Willie Falloon, Yer Man, Zakar and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group