Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56062 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1368, 1369, 1370, 1371, 1372, 1373, 1374 ... 1402  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 12:36 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
You talk about sacrifices all you like it’s all window dressing, the bottom line is the average income to house price ratio that is now completely out of whack compared to our parents generation. But it’s a worldwide problem not unique to Ireland

Talk to a QS about the cost of building and you'll see the problem, alright. It's unaffordably expensive for average people.

There are solutions.

Cap windfall gains on change in zoning to resi

Build higher

Reduce government taxation on new builds (ie VAT)

Revise certain aspects of building rega

etc etc.

Build higher is a no brainer. But it is coming.

Irish building regs don't lead to cheap buildings Ireland. NZEB is an abortion of a regulation for example that only drives building costs through the roof.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 1:12 pm 

Irish building regs are principally the same as most EU countries.

Why do you say that about NZEB regs? (Genuinely interested in a discussion here not slating you)

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 1:38 pm 

MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:

Why do you say that about NZEB regs? (Genuinely interested in a discussion here not slating you)

NZEB regulations require U-values that are unheard of in other countries. I can't say I'm familiar with other countries but are mechanical fresh air systems required there as standard? A standard house in Ireland going forward is now effectively a Passive House so good luck finding the budget for that.

I've had a peek at several tender docs for social housing recently and the minimum requirements for windows are aluminium framed, triple glazed for social housing. All with a nice 10 grand heatpump for a one bed apartment. That stuff adds up...

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 4:03 pm 

Rumham wrote:
MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:

NZEB regulations require U-values that are unheard of in other countries. I can't say I'm familiar with other countries but are mechanical fresh air systems required there as standard? A standard house in Ireland going forward is now effectively a Passive House so good luck finding the budget for that.

I've had a peek at several tender docs for social housing recently and the minimum requirements for windows are aluminium framed, triple glazed for social housing. All with a nice 10 grand heatpump for a one bed apartment. That stuff adds up...

'Passive House' is impossible to achieve, but 'near Passive House" adds between 20 - 25% to the build cost.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:18 pm 

Sure has kicked off in Darndale. I had to laugh at Aodhan O'Riordain's quotes:
Quote:
Now is the time to intervene and nip this in the bud. We have been actively campaigning for a garda station locally for this expanding community.

Bit late for a nip in the bud; you've got a full on rhododendron infestation brother.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:36 am 

Yer wan who fell off the swing really seems to have caught public attention for how ridiculous she is. I've just seen a post about it on LinkedIn of all places.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:57 am 

They always had a reputation as being a socially conscious employer but this is way out there compared to their peers.
https://www.independent.ie/business/in- ... 40193.html

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:03 am 

danthefan wrote:
Yer wan who fell off the swing really seems to have caught public attention for how ridiculous she is. I've just seen a post about it on LinkedIn of all places.

It's just madness. I wonder did she try it on with the hotel and their reaction rubbed her up the wrong way (deservedly, if so) so she kept going out of stubbornness? She's done herself loads of damage but also the party. She could save the party's blushes if she withdrew the claim but probably not hers so she'll probably take it to its conclusion.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:35 am 

CM11 wrote:
danthefan wrote:

It's just madness. I wonder did she try it on with the hotel and their reaction rubbed her up the wrong way (deservedly, if so) so she kept going out of stubbornness? She's done herself loads of damage but also the party. She could save the party's blushes if she withdrew the claim but probably not hers so she'll probably take it to its conclusion.

If you check out the Wiki page for her auld fella John Bailey you'll see the apple hasn't fallen far from the tree. Brazenness runs deep in this family it would seem!

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:15 pm 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Ba ... politician)

:lol: you weren’t joking f**king hell

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:24 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bailey_(Irish_politician)

:lol: you weren’t joking f**king hell

x(

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:25 pm 

CM11 wrote:
danthefan wrote:

Withdrawing the claim would be political suicide.

She has no choice but to win.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:26 pm 

anonymous_joe wrote:
CM11 wrote:
danthefan wrote:

She has already committed political suicide. Win or lose.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:27 pm 

Hopefully she's doing us all a favour in the long run, drawing such public attention to a ridiculous claim, that attitudes to awarding big damages for trivial PIs are a bit less generous.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:28 pm 

Nah, voters have short memories.

Still glad to see a TD get stung by the hostility they've fostered. I've no doubts her case has been grossly mischaracterised but FG, the Central Bank et al have been content to endorse the insurers' views.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:29 pm 

anonymous_joe wrote:
CM11 wrote:
danthefan wrote:

So, AJ, do you believe adults need to be told to hold on to swings as otherwise they might fall off ?
Or is it something they should intrinsically know, like lighting a match and holding it against your skin will burn you ?

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:29 pm 

ruckinhell wrote:
CM11 wrote:
danthefan wrote:

If you check out the Wiki page for her auld fella John Bailey you'll see the apple hasn't fallen far from the tree. Brazenness runs deep in this family it would seem!

Well known in the party as a total chancer.......allegedly.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:34 pm 

This might help some people with deciding their order for the MEP elections. http://whichcandidate.ie/

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:34 pm 

anonymous_joe wrote:

Still glad to see a TD get stung by the hostility they've fostered. I've no doubts her case has been grossly mischaracterised but FG, the Central Bank et al have been content to endorse the insurers' views.

I presume 'al' is short for solicitors/barristers/judges?

And how is her case 'grossly mischaracterised'? She fell off a swing when not just not holding on but having something in both her hands so she couldn't grasp onto anything when she became unbalanced. She then claims she should have been supervised. Is that really the type of person we want representing us? Someone who needs supervision on a bloody swing?

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:36 pm 

She's already getting hammered as a result of the case so she might as well continue to pursue it and hope for a cash dividend to offset the political damage. Her case has done untold damage to her reputation and if opponents can't make hay on this in the hustings for the next GE they don't deserve to be elected.

This has been a bad month for FG between the broadband farce, Waterford mortuary and Swinglash; they'll have to hope the events in Westminister will go nuclear and help muddy the memories of people ahead of the next election.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:36 pm 

anonymous_joe wrote:
CM11 wrote:
danthefan wrote:

It will be a superb example of a Pyrrhic victory if she does. The swings weren’t supervised :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:37 pm 

anonymous_joe wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: the arch troll returns

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:45 pm 

ruckinhell wrote:
She's already getting hammered as a result of the case so she might as well continue to pursue it and hope for a cash dividend to offset the political damage. Her case has done untold damage to her reputation and if opponents can't make hay on this in the hustings for the next GE they don't deserve to be elected.

This has been a bad month for FG between the broadband farce, Waterford mortuary and Swinglash; they'll have to hope the events in Westminister will go nuclear and help muddy the memories of people ahead of the next election.

Last edited by The Sun God on Thu May 23, 2019 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:47 pm 

The Sun God wrote:
ruckinhell wrote:

She is suing for 60K. Her earnings as a TD, were a Dail to sit for a full term, would be in excess of 1 million. Her risk management is crap .

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:49 pm 

CarrotGawks wrote:
This might help some people with deciding their order for the MEP elections. http://whichcandidate.ie/

Quote:
No candidate matches your views. Every considered running for election?

Well that was helpful!

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:54 pm 

The Sun God wrote:
ruckinhell wrote:

She is suing for 60K. Her earnings as a TD, were a Dail to sit for a full term, would be in excess of 1 million. Her risk management is crap .

Agreed- my guess is that she was hoping for a settlement before it went to court and the hotel decided to fully defend and it snowballed. Once it's out in the open though there's no benefit to withdrawing the case, she can't put the public humiliation genie back in the bottle.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 1:05 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
nardol wrote:
https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/dublin-td-maria-bailey-who-fell-off-swing-wasnt-holding-on-properly-hotel-claims-38132076.html

60k because she is apparently never learned to use a swing as a child ... these are the ones who are supposed to reform the insurance bollox.... no wonder reform is not forthcoming

I'd imagine she wasn't pre-loaded with 3 or 4 Gs&Ts before using the swing as a child.

Has Cammy flipped opinion from defending her to being critical? If that's because he has changed opinion due to more facts becoming available - more power to you!

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 1:09 pm 

de_Selby wrote:
CarrotGawks wrote:

Quote:

Well that was helpful!

Lol. All suggestions were FG, bit only 60-odd %.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 1:16 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
de_Selby wrote:
CarrotGawks wrote:

Quote:

Well that was helpful!

Lol. All suggestions were FG, bit only 60-odd %.

You didn't get Barry Andrews as well as the two FG candidates? 63% for all three.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 1:20 pm 

nardol wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
nardol wrote:
https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/dublin-td-maria-bailey-who-fell-off-swing-wasnt-holding-on-properly-hotel-claims-38132076.html

60k because she is apparently never learned to use a swing as a child ... these are the ones who are supposed to reform the insurance bollox.... no wonder reform is not forthcoming

I'd imagine she wasn't pre-loaded with 3 or 4 Gs&Ts before using the swing as a child.

Has Cammy flipped opinion from defending her to being critical? If that's because he has changed opinion due to more facts becoming available - more power to you!

I'd like to know where I defended Ms Baily. Suggesting she fell off because she had one too many Gs and Ts is certainly not defending her in my book! !

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 1:56 pm 

The Sun God wrote:
They always had a reputation as being a socially conscious employer but this is way out there compared to their peers.

I'd genuinely prefer to go to work.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:09 pm 

de_Selby wrote:
CarrotGawks wrote:

Quote:

Well that was helpful!

I got the same - my top match was 44%!

At least I can proudly say that I don't share a single policy with Ming Flanagan! I was surprised that I had anything in common with PBP (Asylum seekers as it turns out).

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:45 pm 

ruckinhell wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
ruckinhell wrote:

Agreed- my guess is that she was hoping for a settlement before it went to court and the hotel decided to fully defend and it snowballed. Once it's out in the open though there's no benefit to withdrawing the case, she can't put the public humiliation genie back in the bottle.

Very possible alright.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:46 pm 

Rumham wrote:
The Sun God wrote:

:lol: Ditto.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:58 pm 

The Sun God wrote:
Rumham wrote:
The Sun God wrote:

:lol: Ditto.

They've probably taken a calculated risk on that!

But if it's the first 6 months then the mother will more than likely be off anyway so the Dads can just golf on paid leave for that period......

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 3:14 pm 

CM11 wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:

And how is her case 'grossly mischaracterised'? She fell off a swing when not just not holding on but having something in both her hands so she couldn't grasp onto anything when she became unbalanced. She then claims she should have been supervised. Is that really the type of person we want representing us? Someone who needs supervision on a bloody swing?

The case as presented in the media couldn't succeed.

Standard of care looks at:-

1. Likelihood of injury;
2. Severity of injury;
3. Cost of prevention;
4. General utility/Public policy.

1. Half the birds in Ireland have taken a picture on that swing. Injury is therefore extremely unlikely.

2. Severity of injury - bog-standard PI soft-tissue injuries, not much relevance herein.

3. Cost - miniscule, but not really relevant.

4. General utility/public policy - swings are class.

No competent lawyer is going to issue the case as described in the media, because it's extremely unlikely to succeed. Which suggests to me that the garbled reporting of the case isn't accurate.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 3:34 pm 

anonymous_joe wrote:
CM11 wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:

1. Likelihood of injury;
2. Severity of injury;
3. Cost of prevention;

1. Half the birds in Ireland have taken a picture on that swing. Injury is therefore extremely unlikely.

2. Severity of injury - bog-standard PI soft-tissue injuries, not much relevance herein.

No competent lawyer is going to issue the case as described in the media, because it's extremely unlikely to succeed. Which suggests to me that the garbled reporting of the case isn't accurate.

Maybe the poor innocent solicitor was "misled" like all those who take the cases for the knackers.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 3:50 pm 

How was he supposed to know that she wasn’t actually an Olympic standard runner before this dreadful accident

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:14 pm 

anonymous_joe wrote:
CM11 wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:

1. Likelihood of injury;
2. Severity of injury;
3. Cost of prevention;

You missed 5. If the judge likes the plaintiff, believes her to be credible and is off his meds, again, that day.

She's playing the odds and trying to push a settlement. I'd say it came out in the media as part of that push..

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:17 pm 

Desperate.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56062 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1368, 1369, 1370, 1371, 1372, 1373, 1374 ... 1402  Next