Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:44 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 833, 834, 835, 836, 837, 838, 839 ... 984  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:21 pm 

And Ed Walsh would still have no phone line if the heads of the other Universities, especially Cork, had gotten their way.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:37 pm 

I read Ed Walsh's book about setting up the uni. Granted I used to go there so have an idea about the place but it was a good read on how Ireland worked, or didn't work, at the time.

There was a period of time when he just stopped asking the Dept. of Ed for permission to do stuff as if he asked they'd say no, or string him along for ages doing nothing, but if he did it without asking they'd be too embarrassed to be seen to not have control that they wouldn't raise a problem :lol:

Ed :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:42 pm 

MrBunhead wrote:
I read Ed Walsh's book about setting up the uni. Granted I used to go there so have an idea about the place but it was a good read on how Ireland worked, or didn't work, at the time.

There was a period of time when he just stopped asking the Dept. of Ed for permission to do stuff as if he asked they'd say no, or string him along for ages doing nothing, but if he did it without asking they'd be too embarrassed to be seen to not have control that they wouldn't raise a problem :lol:

Ed :thumbup:

One of my business strategy lecturers in UCD, who is now head of business in NUI Maynooth, is a UL graduate and used to use Ed Walsh and UL as an example of the time. Really interesting stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:50 pm 

Academic politics. Would put manners of a hell of a lot of TDs.

Those of them who could scrape together the grades for entry that is.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:07 pm 

*warms up the valves on the Marshall*

http://www.thejournal.ie/artists-social ... 2-Jun2017/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:11 pm 

Quote:
The new plan will allow self-employed professional artists apply for Jobseekers Allowance

They cant be much of a pro if they have to get Job-seekers. Perhaps a "career" change is on order to something that they are actually competent at.

Or will they just go with the old "Government Artist-Draw the dole" angle?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:14 pm 

HighKingLeinster wrote:
Quote:
The new plan will allow self-employed professional artists apply for Jobseekers Allowance

They cant be much of a pro if they have to get Job-seekers. Perhaps a "career" change is on order to something that they are actually competent at.

Sure didnt Mrs harry potter herself claim benefits before she hit the potter goldmine. Personal opinion is that this will just let crap artists be crap for a lot longer boefore they face facts and apply to work in starbucks... or a bank... or whatever

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:57 pm 

HighKingLeinster wrote:
Quote:

Most actors and musicians will never make a full-time living from it.

Makes life a bit easier for them, which can't be a bad thing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:32 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
Some discussion that an official Tory/DUP deal means no assembly, as the British Government couldn't act as honest brokers as envisaged in the GFA.

So direct rule, with he DUP having the Brits ear ? The shinners will be livid.

Even with the lunatic DUP MP's, May's coalition would still be too weak. She's a lame duck.

The Shinners brought down the Assembly and yet the lovely Arlene has yet to be held accountable for the cash for ash farce. They now find themselves in a situation where the DUP hold all the aces. It makes a pleasant change to see them outflanked.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:42 pm 

anonymous_joe wrote:
HighKingLeinster wrote:
Quote:

Slackers paradise.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:57 pm 

anonymous_joe wrote:
HighKingLeinster wrote:
Quote:

Do they not already get some massive exemptions tax wise?

That being the case they take benefits when down on luck but when they hit the big time they dont pay into the system either....

I smell something rotten from here only this time its not the state of denmark

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:48 pm 

The AIB valuation looks horribly askew.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:59 pm 

Aren't they always.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:18 pm 

ZappaMan wrote:
The AIB valuation looks horribly askew.

Did you really expect the high end to be much higher ?

The important thing (and I know this is in teaching my grandmother to suck eggs territory) is to get a decent amount of AIB listed, and the shares stable. If the bank performs as it says it will, profit can be made on the remaining 75%, as they will just be sales on the market at whatever the market price is.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:20 pm 

I'm saying it's grossly overvalued.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:22 pm 

ZappaMan wrote:

it'll be interesting to see the market take then.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:22 pm 

What would you value it at?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:13 pm 

nardol wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:
HighKingLeinster wrote:
Quote:

Do they not already get some massive exemptions tax wise?

That being the case they take benefits when down on luck but when they hit the big time they dont pay into the system either....

I smell something rotten from here only this time its not the state of denmark

This is probably a better idea.

The tax exemption is great for rugby players at the peak of earning power, it's of little use to somebody starting off as an artist/sportsperson/etc.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:26 pm 

Artists used to get absolutely massive tax exemptions, if memory serves it was into the millions if not uncapped. Sometime in the last 5-10 years it was capped at 200k, I believe.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:44 pm 

ZappaMan wrote:

Would you mind waiting till we've cashed the investors cheques before you say that again please?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:41 am 

camroc1 wrote:
nardol wrote:
redderneck wrote:
sewa wrote:
http://www.idaireland.com/newsroom/northern-trust-to-add-up-/

Northern trust adding 400 more jobs in Limerick.

I'll preface this by saying that it's bloody great to see a company like NT come in and grow as they have done and appear to be hell-bent on continuing to do - but I'd be happier to see a cluster develop around them; or to see 2 o3 smaller operations come in and thrive. Limerick has a history of being wedded to a handful of major employers which is all well and good when 'tings is grand out' but it's heavily exposed to plunging over the cliff-face when the pendulum swings.

(Not a sector I know at all, so perhaps there is an element of clustering beginning to take root...?)

Limerick perfect example of a town benefiting from a good uni spewing out graduates eager to work and with low cost of living. Takes the pressure off Dublin - we need more of this.

Not forgetting to mention a good pro team to watch at the weekends.

Limerick > Cork at this stage?

Limerick has lots of potential to overtake Cork.

It absolutely doesn't. The Midwest as a unit might but really the future for Limerick is the Atlantic corridor with Galway and Cork. Limerick city centre needs a huge amount of investment and we're busy repeating (on a smaller scale) the mistakes that were made in Dublin.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:48 am 

JoeyFantastic wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
nardol wrote:
redderneck wrote:
sewa wrote:
http://www.idaireland.com/newsroom/northern-trust-to-add-up-/

Northern trust adding 400 more jobs in Limerick.

I'll preface this by saying that it's bloody great to see a company like NT come in and grow as they have done and appear to be hell-bent on continuing to do - but I'd be happier to see a cluster develop around them; or to see 2 o3 smaller operations come in and thrive. Limerick has a history of being wedded to a handful of major employers which is all well and good when 'tings is grand out' but it's heavily exposed to plunging over the cliff-face when the pendulum swings.

(Not a sector I know at all, so perhaps there is an element of clustering beginning to take root...?)

Limerick perfect example of a town benefiting from a good uni spewing out graduates eager to work and with low cost of living. Takes the pressure off Dublin - we need more of this.

Not forgetting to mention a good pro team to watch at the weekends.

Limerick > Cork at this stage?

Limerick has lots of potential to overtake Cork.

It absolutely doesn't. The Midwest as a unit might but really the future for Limerick is the Atlantic corridor with Galway and Cork. Limerick city centre needs a huge amount of investment and we're busy repeating (on a smaller scale) the mistakes that were made in Dublin.

Yes, that motorway completion to link the three cities will be a significant step forward.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:22 am 

redderneck wrote:
Yes, that motorway completion to link the three cities will be a significant step forward.

If it is managed correctly. It also has the potential to focus development on the extremity of the motorway, i.e., Cork and Galway. It is an unpredictable event, imo, and a motorway alone won't guarantee anything. Limerick city centre needs huge investment just to get to where it should have been a decade ago, coupled with the completed ring road to take cars off O'Connell street and to increase the overall quality of life in the immediate city centre so people want to live on places like Mallow st and Catherine street again. No cars should be traversing the immediate city centre just to get across town/the river. It's interesting to see the effect the Uber offices have had on Thomas street and Catherine street already but it's a drop in the ocean compared to what is needed. Afaik, Jerry Flannery is pressing on with building a gig venue behind his pub on Catherine street. Going to try and copy what Dolan's have managed I suppose. http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/ ... ahead.html
Galway Bay are opening a pub on Wickham street, Dr. John (?) is re-developing Daffy's (home of many a lock in before the crash) and Canteen are building a new spot across from him. They are all significant changes to a fairly moribund area in the coming months.

I have very little faith in the city council officials to get things right though. Twenty years after the (new) city hall was built and Nicholas street and King's Island in general is a disgrace (albeit, Nicholas street and King John's Castle have received significant investment of late).

On the plus side, UL, Mary I and LIT are continuing to expand year on year and are slowly integrating into the city.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:50 pm 

Stepaside Garda station to reopen :thumbup:

And people say parish pump politics doesnt work :o

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:52 pm 

Stepaside Garda station probably covered more people than Limerick or Galway cities

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:55 pm 

MrBunhead wrote:
Stepaside Garda station probably covered more people than Limerick or Galway cities

Nah.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:03 pm 

It wouldn't be far off - Stepaside station covers a large area between Rathfarnham, Tallaght, Dundrum and Cabinteely.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:04 pm 

The underpopulated bit. Why it closed.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:07 pm 

Gavin Duffy wrote:

Its population is bigger than ever so that's unlikely. The place is f**king mahoosive now.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:09 pm 

There is also a shit ton of development happening around Stepaside now which will increase the population by thousands in the next 12-18 months

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:19 pm 

HighKingLeinster wrote:
There is also a shit ton of development happening around Stepaside now which will increase the population by thousands in the next 12-18 months

Kilternan is the next big area to be opened up, I see there is war over the pre-sales at Bishop's Gate - somebody got a tip off that they were going to release phase I and started camping out overnight. By the time the email went out to announce the launch date, phase I was already completely sold out as passer bys joined the queue. Reminiscent of the worst excesses of the celtic tiger housing boom.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:21 pm 

What's ever going to happen to Dublin Sport and the old hotel site?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:22 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:
Gavin Duffy wrote:

Its population is bigger than ever so that's unlikely. The place is f**king mahoosive now.

Is that where all the shoebox apartments went?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:34 pm 

HighKingLeinster wrote:
Stepaside Garda station to reopen :thumbup:

And people say parish pump politics doesnt work :o

Belmullet are going to lose their cancer clinic because of this.
Hope you're happy with yourselves.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:38 pm 

Frances Fitzgerald still Táiniste.
She must have photos and negatives on him.

http://independent.ie/irish-news/politi ... 27325.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:52 pm 

Quote:
Significantly Mr Varadkar only demoted one minister, Mary Mitchell O’Connor, who is likely to become a super junior minister with responsibility for higher education. This means she can sit at the Cabinet table but no longer has voting rights.

:lol:

I've thought of lots of different comments but all of them would get me in trouble so I'll just leave it out there.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:20 pm 

CM11 wrote:
Quote:
Significantly Mr Varadkar only demoted one minister, Mary Mitchell O’Connor, who is likely to become a super junior minister with responsibility for higher education. This means she can sit at the Cabinet table but no longer has voting rights.

I've thought of lots of different comments but all of them would get me in trouble so I'll just leave it out there.

Ah here, you've got to spill the beans now.....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:29 pm 

Flametop wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Quote:

Ah here, you've got to spill the beans now.....

Think you're misinterpreting me there. I just mean any joke I make about her being put in the corner will offend some group or other.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:55 am 

How many buildings in Ireland have that dangerous cladding

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:14 pm 

https://www.globalinnovationindex.org/gii-2017-report#

Global Innovation Index out today, Ireland ranks highest in the knowledge and technology outputs category, where it comes in 5th, and ranks 1st for exports of information and communications technology (ICT) services. Other strengths include the growth rate of national output per worker, a measure of productivity. Ireland also comes in in the top ten in the business sophistication category, ranking 1st for intellectual property payments and 2nd for FDI inflows.

Edit : shamelessly copied from the IDA.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 833, 834, 835, 836, 837, 838, 839 ... 984  Next