Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:58 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43900 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1093, 1094, 1095, 1096, 1097, 1098  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:08 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
Yeah just what we need.

More taxes and charges on the people going to work to pay for everybody else.

Just the shot in the arm City retailers need to really finish them off too.

i mean do you people want an actual city or a museum that is pleasant for you to stroll around on Sundays. :roll:

City retailers seem to do ok in cities like Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Stockholm and so on. You know, cities with feck all cars in them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:12 pm 

Well far be it from me to argue with your well-researched points on how things seem to be doing in cities you visited for the weekend and no doubt spent most of the time walking around the equivalent of Temblebar.

But back in the real world, our City traders are in trouble.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:12 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
Yeah just what we need.

i mean do you people want an actual city or a museum that is pleasant for you to stroll around on Sundays. :roll:

We need a city centre that can be accessed by the 1.5m people that live in its hinterland. It is clearly not possible, nor desirable to provide the road space to do this, so high speed, high capacity PT is what is needed. That essentially means underground heavy rail metro, and anything else really is only a stop gap. Trying to transport lots of people by surface bus on main radial routes just doesn't and won't work. Buses are much better utilised on local network routes that terminus at metro nodes, or as local orbitals between radial metro lines.

It would be better for the government, any government to cash in AIB shares, give two fingers to the ECB, and start building the metro system as originally planned, including DART underground and metro west. Also doubling the mainline to Portlaoise and Athlone, building the Navan spur etc. etc. is much better money spent than on continually increasing car space in the city centre to the detriment of the curban environment.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:15 pm 

Better transport link into the city centre would encourage more people to go in.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:15 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
Well far be it from me to argue with your well-researched points on how things seem to be doing in cities you visited for the weekend and no doubt spent most of the time walking around the equivalent of Temblebar.

I live 20 minutes from Amsterdam and am in Copenhagen every couple of weeks you big eejit.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:18 pm 

Rumham wrote:
Better transport link into the city centre would encourage more people to go in.

Exactly, people not cars. Walking, shopping eating, in a city centre environment in which roadspace is prioritised for pedestrians, cyclists and trams rather than for cars.

If you've walked around any major European city centre recently you may have noticed how pleasant it is.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:19 pm 

GAA types, I see Connolly is joining Donegal Boston in the US for the summer. How exactly does this work, do rich Irish lads in the US pay these players good money to go over and play for their team?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:19 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
Yeah just what we need.

We need a city centre that can be accessed by the 1.5m people that live in its hinterland. It is clearly not possible, nor desirable to provide the road space to do this, so high speed, high capacity PT is what is needed. That essentially means underground heavy rail metro, and anything else really is only a stop gap. Trying to transport lots of people by surface bus on main radial routes just doesn't and won't work. Buses are much better utilised on local network routes that terminus at metro nodes, or as local orbitals between radial metro lines.

It would be better for the government, any government to cash in AIB shares, give two fingers to the ECB, and start building the metro system as originally planned, including DART underground and metro west. Also doubling the mainline to Portlaoise and Athlone, building the Navan spur etc. etc. is much better money spent than on continually increasing car space in the city centre to the detriment of the curban environment.

You need to stop the Le Corbusier grand scheme hardon you have for some grand designs and chillax.

This is not a large city, we don't need your mass transport vision and 10s of billions of euro to make it work. Very simple things that the council has ruled out because it is run by cycling weirdos can make a massive difference.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:21 pm 

Rumham wrote:

People don't haul shopping home on Public transport. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:21 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
Yeah just what we need.

The most needed transport link is improved road and rail links to Sligo and the northwest. There is a motorway link to both Portlaoise and Athlone.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:22 pm 

Diego wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:

I live 20 minutes from Amsterdam and am in Copenhagen every couple of weeks you big eejit.

So you read turnover figures for local retailers and work in commercial real estate.

Far balls I thought you were just talking out of your hoop.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:24 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
Rumham wrote:

Exactly, people not cars. Walking, shopping eating, in a city centre environment in which roadspace is prioritised for pedestrians, cyclists and trams rather than for cars.

If you've walked around any major European city centre recently you may have noticed how pleasant it is.

This is the problem

Lads with visions of themselves sitting under a fúckign parasol drinking coffee and thinking that is more important than actual jobs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:30 pm 

The population of Greater Dublin is projected to reach 2m by 2031. That is just 13 years away, which is no time at all when it comes to delivering major infrastructure.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:33 pm 

That's still piddling in a global context and GDA is a liberal term.

A lad driving from Celbridge to Intel counts in those number ffs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:35 pm 

The council deliberately stopped the implementation of traffic waves on arterial routes because they want to make the journey unpleasant.

The mad thing is people on here would probably cheer them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:37 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
Rumham wrote:

They do on every public transport system I've ever been on, both here and abroad :?

People travelling to the city centre at peak hours also aren't going there to shop.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:38 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
Diego wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:

So you read turnover figures for local retailers and work in commercial real estate.

You forget that inner city retail trade has been losing out to suburban shopping centres since the days that you could park in the middle of O'Connell St. A new plan is now needed.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:40 pm 

Retail, especially ladies fashions, is dying on its arse. Online will kill that business.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:41 pm 

de_Selby wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
Rumham wrote:

They do on every public transport system I've ever been on, both here and abroad :?

People travelling to the city centre at peak hours also aren't going there to shop.

Show me where Cam says these measure will be peak time only?

And no, they don't. There is years of research on it. I know you've seen a lad with a tesco bag on the tube but still.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:46 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
de_Selby wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
Rumham wrote:

And no, they don't. There is years of research on it. I know you've seen a lad with a tesco bag on the tube but still.

You're talking about grocery shopping? That is in the outskirts of the city, who the hell would go into the city centre to go to tesco?

Clothes shopping as noted above is has mostly moved to outskirts too and is being decimated by online anyway.

I'm not saying it's peak time only, off peak who cares? Peak is where the problem is, but people can still drive in off peak with the reduced traffic if they are stupid enough to.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:54 pm 

I don't have the patience.

i've become too cranky

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:56 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:

i've become too cranky

Can't say I'd noticed. :P

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:56 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:

i've become too cranky

You shut your Nordie hole

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:57 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:

i've become too cranky

You shut your Nordie hole

How long before you clock off?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:59 pm 

4 glorious hours.

Flights at 9.30

First holiday in 18 months

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:01 pm 

I hope this makes you less of a moany plum.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:01 pm 

Enjoy the 21st century cities with modern transport links Mullet :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:03 pm 

Diego wrote:

You mean Sydney's crumbling monorail?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:04 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
Diego wrote:

You mean Sydney's crumbling monorail?

By gum it put them on the map!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:11 pm 

Bullettyme wrote:
Macsimus wrote:
The bus connects project could lead to compulsory purchase of part of up to 1,500 homes / gardens.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/p ... 00500.html

Is this gonna happen in a reasonable timeframe? or will it be tied up in red tape forever?

I would be very skeptical that this will ever happen. It's a bold idea, and something the city needs, but yeah probably won't happen.

It’s one of those things that’s a great idea unless it’s your garden, then all of a sudden it’s really bad. The person losing their garden stands to lose a lot more than the person getting a small improvement in public transport so naturally they will fight harder.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:13 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
Macsimus wrote:
The bus connects project could lead to compulsory purchase of part of up to 1,500 homes / gardens.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/p ... 00500.html

Is this gonna happen in a reasonable timeframe? or will it be tied up in red tape forever?

I would be very skeptical that this will ever happen. It's a bold idea, and something the city needs, but yeah probably won't happen.

It’s one of those things that’s a great idea unless it’s your garden, then all of a sudden it’s really bad. The person losing their garden stands to lose a lot more than the person getting a small improvement in public transport so naturally they will fight harder.

Exactly, very easy to be in favour of taking away somebody else's Garden and parking space.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:22 pm 

Another problem with this scheme is that it ignores a big chunk of new development in Stepaside/Carrickmines/Kilternan

Last edited by Duff Paddy on Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:24 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
de_Selby wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
Rumham wrote:

Who drives into town to shop at fcuking Tesco :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:25 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
4 glorious hours.

Flights at 9.30

First holiday in 18 months

Christ. I get cabin fever if I don't get away after 3 months. You need a good, long break.

Rumham wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
de_Selby wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
Rumham wrote:

Who drives into town to shop at fcuking Tesco :lol:

:roll:

Last edited by Mullet 2 on Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Duff Paddy wrote:
Another problem with this scheme is that it completely ignores a big chunk of the population of Dublin in Terenure/Rathfarnham/Templeogue/Stepaside

It doesn't.

You've got Kimmage to CC, Tallaght to Terenure, and Rathfarnham to CC schemes included.

This IT article includes links to the actual proposals:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland ... -1.3527128

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:29 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
Another problem with this scheme is that it completely ignores a big chunk of the population of Dublin in Terenure/Rathfarnham/Templeogue/Stepaside

It doesn't.

You've got Kimmage to CC, Tallaght to Terenure, and Rathfarnham to CC schemes included.

We already have one of those going through Terenure, definitely don't need a second one, nope, thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:31 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:

It doesn't.

Sorry was thinking of a previous scheme - had already amended the post before your reply do keep up

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:12 pm 

I know the Rathfarnham to CC bus route well.

Unless you want to forgo your civil service increments by being late a 7km journey on that route takes 1.5 hours - ie walking is as quick/ quicker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:03 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
Diego wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:

I'm not totally against your view but surely the screwed up traffic hinders city centre retailers as well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43900 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1093, 1094, 1095, 1096, 1097, 1098  Next