Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48548 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1094, 1095, 1096, 1097, 1098, 1099, 1100 ... 1214  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:05 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
Another problem with this scheme is that it completely ignores a big chunk of the population of Dublin in Terenure/Rathfarnham/Templeogue/Stepaside

It doesn't.

You've got Kimmage to CC, Tallaght to Terenure, and Rathfarnham to CC schemes included.

This IT article includes links to the actual proposals:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland ... -1.3527128

Downloaded the NTA pdf because it looked like one of them was on our road. It's close but our nice garden is safe so I am now enthusiastically in favour of the proposals.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:35 pm 

Rumham wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
4 glorious hours.

Flights at 9.30

First holiday in 18 months

Christ. I get cabin fever if I don't get away after 3 months. You need a good, long break.

ohhh, break, right

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:22 pm 

The drugs lads are doing terrible things to the community. We've got a reckoning coming somewhere

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:26 pm 

alliswell wrote:
The drugs lads are doing terrible things to the community. We've got a reckoning coming somewhere

What? Where?

You mean like vigilantes?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:29 pm 

Probably referring to that one punch death in Bray, committed allegedly by some scumbag involved with a drugs gang. Then the Peter Taylor shooting and murder, also by a druglord and based over a scuffle and some wounded pride.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:32 pm 

Bullettyme wrote:
Probably referring to that one punch death in Bray, committed allegedly by some scumbag involved with a drugs gang. Then the Peter Taylor shooting and murder, also by a druglord and based over a scuffle and some wounded pride.

Is this not what CAB was set up for ?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:40 pm 

paddyor wrote:
alliswell wrote:

What? Where?

I was just at a young man's funeral earlier and was speaking with a few young lads. The prevalence of drug use among kids is scary. And the age they're starting. I was a bit shocked

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:09 pm 

alliswell wrote:
paddyor wrote:
alliswell wrote:

What? Where?

I was just at a young man's funeral earlier and was speaking with a few young lads. The prevalence of drug use among kids is scary. And the age they're starting. I was a bit shocked

Condolences.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:53 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:

Is this not what CAB was set up for ?

CAB is massively understaffed.

The reason the FBI is so effective is that it pays enough and/or offers enough career benefits that large numbers of lawyers, accountants, etc, will happily join.

The Garda paystructure just isn't equipped to pay for a lad who's a forensic accountant, or a stockbroker, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:11 pm 

alliswell wrote:
paddyor wrote:
alliswell wrote:

What? Where?

....what age, what drugs?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:52 pm 

alliswell wrote:
paddyor wrote:
alliswell wrote:

What? Where?

Personally I think cocaine use has exploded. And it's much more accessible to younger kids now (in anecdotal experience). Sure when I was young you could get the odd yip and weed, but a weekly or biweekly coke habit would be unheard of, from chats with my brother it seems regular enough for lads and ladys in late teens early 20s I was on a stag last year and my little brother and his friends (between 20-22) were in the same city and we met up with them for a drink, family friends and all that. Myself and my early 30s mates were shocked at their knowledge of speed, ket, coke, etc.

Maybe I was just sheltered or had a boring crowd, but that type of hard druggery is not something I encountered til my late 20s.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:41 pm 

Bullettyme wrote:
alliswell wrote:
paddyor wrote:
alliswell wrote:

What? Where?

Personally I think cocaine use has exploded. And it's much more accessible to younger kids now (in anecdotal experience). Sure when I was young you could get the odd yip and weed, but a weekly or biweekly coke habit would be unheard of, from chats with my brother it seems regular enough for lads and ladys in late teens early 20s I was on a stag last year and my little brother and his friends (between 20-22) were in the same city and we met up with them for a drink, family friends and all that. Myself and my early 30s mates were shocked at their knowledge of speed, ket, coke, etc.

Maybe I was just sheltered or had a boring crowd, but that type of hard druggery is not something I encountered til my late 20s.

Yeah cocaine is the big thing. When I was a lad all you could get your hands on was cannabis and it only came as lumps of resin. Now they tell me kids are starting as young as 15 and the majority are at it. They're building up debts to drug dealers and having to work it off. This is a working class community but I can't imagine it's a problem only there.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:09 am 

alliswell wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
alliswell wrote:
paddyor wrote:
alliswell wrote:

What? Where?

Yeah cocaine is the big thing. When I was a lad all you could get your hands on was cannabis and it only came as lumps of resin. Now they tell me kids are starting as young as 15 and the majority are at it. They're building up debts to drug dealers and having to work it off. This is a working class community but I can't imagine it's a problem only there.

Starting at 15.
That's the age we started at 45 years ago, so no change then.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:41 am 

You did cocaine at 15? Aren't you a mad lad.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:19 pm 

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/pol ... 18611.html

This makes me very sad that FG are the only option for government. I'm hoping it's a piss take designed to out a source.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:28 pm 

FF would be more effective at getting things done as long as you dont mind the obligatory pissing away of taxpater money that goes with them.

That said FG will just pish it all away on consultants without any tangible result left over from all that 'consulting'.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:43 pm 

What consultants would they be, then?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:44 pm 

Gavin Duffy wrote:

Irish water, whatever they decide to do with the garda, HSE restructure..., this new dublin bus lane things

They will/have flog cash out on all this and more but FG's track record of actually doing anything is....well.... pathetic

If they ever did anything they would have my vote without even thinking about it. As it stands now I will have to think about it and then vote for them.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:48 am 

€80m cargo container terminal to be built in Cork Harbour
Updated / Monday, 18 Jun 2018 11:13
The new facility will replace the Cork Dockland sites at Tivoli, close to the city
The new facility will replace the Cork Dockland sites at Tivoli, close to the city
By Jennie O'Sullivan
A new cargo container terminal is to be built at Ringaskiddy at the mouth of Cork Harbour as part of an €80 million investment by the Port of Cork Company.

The company says it will be the most significant investment in marine infrastructure and superstructure in their history.

The new facility will replace the Cork Dockland sites at Tivoli, close to the city, allowing for the future redevelopment of these lands.

The Cork Container Terminal project will see the construction of a 360 metre quay with 13m depth alongside, which will allow larger ships to berth in Ringaskiddy.

The development will also include a new cargo terminal on a 13.5 hectare site, as well as two ship-to-shore gantry cranes and container handling equipment.

Port of Cork Chief Executive Brendan Keating says the development will secure the company's future and bring significant economic benefits to the Munster region, as well as to the national economy.

The project is being funded by AIB plc, the European Investment Bank, the Ireland Strategic Investment Fund, and with monies from the European Union Connecting Europe Facility funds, as well as its own funds.

The contract for the project has been awarded to BAM Civil Limited, with the terminal due to be operational by 2020.

Meanwhile, the decision on a €180m motorway proposed to run from Cork city to the port village of Ringaskiddy is due by 6 July.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:36 pm 

nardol wrote:
Gavin Duffy wrote:

Irish water, whatever they decide to do with the garda, HSE restructure..., this new dublin bus lane things

They will/have flog cash out on all this and more but FG's track record of actually doing anything is....well.... pathetic

If they ever did anything they would have my vote without even thinking about it. As it stands now I will have to think about it and then vote for them.

If they ever did anything???

How about reducing unemployment from 15% to 5% in seven years after being handed a ruined economy

Meanwhile amazon announced 1000 jobs today .....

“If they ever did anything” ...... that’s priceless :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:20 pm 

rfurlong wrote:
nardol wrote:
Gavin Duffy wrote:

How about reducing unemployment from 15% to 5% in seven years after being handed a ruined economy

They only did what FF would have done.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:23 pm 

lorcanoworms wrote:
rfurlong wrote:
nardol wrote:
Gavin Duffy wrote:

The private sector reduced unemployment as we are a very open economy. No govt policy was involved. Other than public sector pay offs.

FG just followed the roadmap Lenihan put in place.

Last edited by nardol on Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:23 pm 

lorcanoworms wrote:
rfurlong wrote:
nardol wrote:
Gavin Duffy wrote:

If it was FF in charge for the last few years, they'd win the next election with a majority government, no problem. FG just can't help shooting themselves in the foot to negate their positive work.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:34 pm 

CM11 wrote:
lorcanoworms wrote:
rfurlong wrote:
nardol wrote:
Gavin Duffy wrote:

If it was FF in charge for the last few years, they'd win the next election with a majority government, no problem. FG just can't help shooting themselves in the foot to negate their positive work.

Should have explained I was repeating what I hear from FF types.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:39 pm 

lorcanoworms wrote:
rfurlong wrote:
nardol wrote:
Gavin Duffy wrote:

That’s bollox - the Central banks rules on mortgage lending would have lasted 5 minutes under FF

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:49 pm 

An independent Central Bank wouldn't last five minutes under FF, let alone the current rules.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:01 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:
lorcanoworms wrote:
rfurlong wrote:
nardol wrote:
Gavin Duffy wrote:

That’s bollox - the Central banks rules on mortgage lending would have lasted 5 minutes under FF

See my edit, I don't have any faith in FF.
I did think people would understand I was giving the FF supporter view.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:12 am 

Have your man boobs removed at the taxpayers expense, elective surgery?
https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/h ... 27692.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:26 pm 

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/p ... 30903.html

Is €400m in public sector pay rises normal? Don't really have a feel for how that usually goes.

Quote:
Finance Minister Paschal Donohoe plans to bring forward "affordable" cuts in a €266m package for next year's Budget.

He will spend the summer working on the package - but what do we know about the Budget 2019 plan so far?

How much money does Paschal Donohoe have for Budget 2019?
In theory the Finance Minister will introduce a budgetary package worth €3.4bn – but a significant portion of this money (€2.6bn) has already been earmarked for spending.

What has it been earmarked for?
The Government has already committed to:

€1.5bn in capital expenditure as part of the National Development Plan;
€300m carry-over costs associated with measures introduced this year;
€400m for public sector pay increases;
€400m for demographic costs.
So how much will there be for Budget day announcements?
Based on current forecasts, Mr Donohoe will have €800m to play around with.

This will be split in a 2:1 ratio in favour of spending over any tax cuts.

What sort of tax cuts?
The minister plans to target middle-income earners by raising the threshold at which people start paying the higher 40pc of tax.

Are the experts not recommending against tax cuts?
The Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI) has warned that there is “little or no scope” for cutting income taxes.

The ESRI is worried that the economy could end up being overheated.

However, Mr Donohoe believes he can introduce limited changes that are “affordable”.

What is the €1.5bn on capital expenditure going to be used for?
It will be added to a larger pot of money that will be invested in infrastructure projects such as schools, hospitals and roads.

In total, nearly €6bn is to be used for capital expenditure, with nearly half of this sum going on housing and transport.

Why is the Government setting up a ‘rainy day fund’?
One of the main reasons is that Fianna Fáil has demanded it under the ‘confidence and supply’ arrangement. There is a commitment to put aside €500m next year “to mitigate future external economic shocks”.

Fine Gael is leading a minority Government.

Has it run these Budget plans past Fianna Fáil?
Fianna Fáil leader Micheál Martin has said he is committed to ensuring a third Budget passes under the confidence and supply arrangement between the two parties.

Many TDs on both sides have privately expressed their doubts that this will be possible. But Mr Donohoe said he was determined to get the Budget through. Rows are inevitable but the talks won’t really get under way in earnest until mid-September.

Why is nobody talking about the 'fiscal space' anymore?
Thankfully the minister is trying to confine the phrase to the economic history books. He said yesterday it was no longer a relevant measure in the current economic environment.

Technically the Government could spend €900m more than planned by Mr Donohoe and still be within EU rules.

He said this would not be prudent as the State would have to borrow the money or raise it through taxes.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:29 pm 

6 years for the Drummer......He was always going away I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:32 pm 

The Sun God wrote:

Was his American vacation worth it in the end? A strategy to put some distance between the banking crisis and his trial?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:01 pm 

The Sun God wrote:

The same as for fiddling the taxes on some Garlic. Fucker got off lightly. I dealt with the Anglo boys and they were a right bunch of crooks.

Just saw there that he gets credit for time in the lockup in the US fighting extradition. You couldn't make this shit up. Our judiciary are a joke.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:16 pm 

Liathroidigloine wrote:
The Sun God wrote:

The same as for fiddling the taxes on some Garlic. Fucker got off lightly. I dealt with the Anglo boys and they were a right bunch of crooks.

Just saw there that he gets credit for time in the lockup in the US fighting extradition. You couldn't make this shit up. Our judiciary are a joke.

wasnt that a separate crime ? how does the fcuker get credit for that ?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:29 pm 

Liathroidigloine wrote:
The Sun God wrote:

How is that a joke? The person spent time in prison.

And the sentence for the garlic VAT fraud was reduced on appeal.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:52 pm 

normilet wrote:
https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/tax-cuts-and-the-rainy-day-fund-what-do-we-know-about-budget-2019-so-far-37030903.html

Is €400m in public sector pay rises normal? Don't really have a feel for how that usually goes.

Quote:
Finance Minister Paschal Donohoe plans to bring forward "affordable" cuts in a €266m package for next year's Budget.

He will spend the summer working on the package - but what do we know about the Budget 2019 plan so far?

How much money does Paschal Donohoe have for Budget 2019?
In theory the Finance Minister will introduce a budgetary package worth €3.4bn – but a significant portion of this money (€2.6bn) has already been earmarked for spending.

What has it been earmarked for?
The Government has already committed to:

€1.5bn in capital expenditure as part of the National Development Plan;
€300m carry-over costs associated with measures introduced this year;
€400m for public sector pay increases;
€400m for demographic costs.
So how much will there be for Budget day announcements?
Based on current forecasts, Mr Donohoe will have €800m to play around with.

This will be split in a 2:1 ratio in favour of spending over any tax cuts.

What sort of tax cuts?
The minister plans to target middle-income earners by raising the threshold at which people start paying the higher 40pc of tax.

Are the experts not recommending against tax cuts?
The Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI) has warned that there is “little or no scope” for cutting income taxes.

The ESRI is worried that the economy could end up being overheated.

However, Mr Donohoe believes he can introduce limited changes that are “affordable”.

What is the €1.5bn on capital expenditure going to be used for?
It will be added to a larger pot of money that will be invested in infrastructure projects such as schools, hospitals and roads.

In total, nearly €6bn is to be used for capital expenditure, with nearly half of this sum going on housing and transport.

Why is the Government setting up a ‘rainy day fund’?
One of the main reasons is that Fianna Fáil has demanded it under the ‘confidence and supply’ arrangement. There is a commitment to put aside €500m next year “to mitigate future external economic shocks”.

Fine Gael is leading a minority Government.

Has it run these Budget plans past Fianna Fáil?
Fianna Fáil leader Micheál Martin has said he is committed to ensuring a third Budget passes under the confidence and supply arrangement between the two parties.

Many TDs on both sides have privately expressed their doubts that this will be possible. But Mr Donohoe said he was determined to get the Budget through. Rows are inevitable but the talks won’t really get under way in earnest until mid-September.

Why is nobody talking about the 'fiscal space' anymore?
Thankfully the minister is trying to confine the phrase to the economic history books. He said yesterday it was no longer a relevant measure in the current economic environment.

Technically the Government could spend €900m more than planned by Mr Donohoe and still be within EU rules.

He said this would not be prudent as the State would have to borrow the money or raise it through taxes.

Were the Dr Consultant pay settlements not half that €400m?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:15 am 

We have officially the most volatile house prices in the developed world.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:44 am 

hermie wrote:

I remember an article in the irish times about 2 years back about how Ireland has only ever done boom and bust property price cycles dating back to the 1800's.....this one is different though i'm sure

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:29 pm 

ticketlessinseattle wrote:
hermie wrote:

I remember an article in the irish times about 2 years back about how Ireland has only ever done boom and bust property price cycles dating back to the 1800's.....this one is different though i'm sure

Of course this one is different.
We've all got jobs now, half the world wants to come to our country, interest rates will only ever come down, the government will never again make a mistake with the economy, highest growth in EU.............

2005 wants it's buzzwords back. Have I left anything out ?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:14 pm 

Jesus H Christ :lol:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/c ... 35412.html

This scumbag gets a payout for unfair dismissal :uhoh:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:19 pm 

ZappaMan wrote:
Jesus H Christ :lol:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/c ... 35412.html

This scumbag gets a payout for unfair dismissal :uhoh:

that's unfcukin believable......dont tell the Nordie lads

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48548 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1094, 1095, 1096, 1097, 1098, 1099, 1100 ... 1214  Next