Chat Forum
It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 6:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1008, 1009, 1010, 1011, 1012, 1013, 1014 ... 1081  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:35 pm 

And there's plenty of investors getting into the game to replace them.
https://www.irishtimes.com/business/per ... 2?mode=amp

Quote:
But what about all the investors who we hear are leaving the market due to the stringent costs of running a rental property?

McCartney doesn’t beat about the bush on this. “It’s a load of crap,” he says, adding that such a line was “self-serving” and was put out there to “effectively lobby the government against rent caps” – which didn’t work.

Drawing on data compiled by the Central Statistics Office for its Quarterly National Household Survey, McCartney has found that, in net terms, given the continued rise in numbers of people renting, “the number of units entering the market must be greater than those that have left the market”.

So the perception, which is still out there, gained momentum, and became a “stylised fact”, McCartney says. Investors are still very much in the market.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:36 pm 

Put them onto me like a good man

EverReady wrote:
Flametop wrote:
EverReady wrote:
Can't even blame them. Put an ad in the paper and had interest from the usual lads wearing their pants inside out etc and then this one turned up. Works in a hotel and had a reference. Think it was off her uncle now. Hard to know though as before this one one of our worst for pure filth was a pharmacist. We had a prison guard walk off without paying bills and rent. Another teacher do the same.

I’m confused, are you bragging or giving out?
And rule 1 FFS.

Sorry. I put in secret camera's to see who wasn't putting bleach in the toilets and was defo her

Where was she putting the bleach?

Miguel Indurain wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
It took my FiL a year to get rid of a tenant who hadn't paid for 4 months, ie 16 months in total; and the property had been completely cleaned out down to lights and door knobs by the time he had the court order to evict. And, of course, no compensation for either loss of income or damage.

A landlords life is such a happy one.

Just while I see you - great result for the alma mater Teach Mealog basketball club at the weekend.
I used to know well Ciaran Mills and Joe Kavanagh (R.I.P) at that club. You might know them? Great result for the club.

:thumbup:

Pity about the rugby though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:37 pm 

Flametop wrote:
EverReady wrote:
Flametop wrote:
EverReady wrote:
Can't even blame them. Put an ad in the paper and had interest from the usual lads wearing their pants inside out etc and then this one turned up. Works in a hotel and had a reference. Think it was off her uncle now. Hard to know though as before this one one of our worst for pure filth was a pharmacist. We had a prison guard walk off without paying bills and rent. Another teacher do the same.

I’m confused, are you bragging or giving out?
And rule 1 FFS.

Sorry. I put in secret camera's to see who wasn't putting bleach in the toilets and was defo her

Where was she putting the bleach?

I can't say as they were actually secret camera devices

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:40 pm 

Fester back in the property expert game.

Missed

Uncle Fester wrote:
And there's plenty of investors getting into the game to replace them.
https://www.irishtimes.com/business/per ... 2?mode=amp

Quote:
But what about all the investors who we hear are leaving the market due to the stringent costs of running a rental property?

McCartney doesn’t beat about the bush on this. “It’s a load of crap,” he says, adding that such a line was “self-serving” and was put out there to “effectively lobby the government against rent caps” – which didn’t work.

Drawing on data compiled by the Central Statistics Office for its Quarterly National Household Survey, McCartney has found that, in net terms, given the continued rise in numbers of people renting, “the number of units entering the market must be greater than those that have left the market”.

So the perception, which is still out there, gained momentum, and became a “stylised fact”, McCartney says. Investors are still very much in the market.

Slight (massive) lack of intellectual rigour in that argument.

camroc1 wrote:
Miguel Indurain wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
It took my FiL a year to get rid of a tenant who hadn't paid for 4 months, ie 16 months in total; and the property had been completely cleaned out down to lights and door knobs by the time he had the court order to evict. And, of course, no compensation for either loss of income or damage.

Just while I see you - great result for the alma mater Teach Mealog basketball club at the weekend.
I used to know well Ciaran Mills and Joe Kavanagh (R.I.P) at that club. You might know them? Great result for the club.

Aye, but that's the way it is.

Were Mills or Kavanagh contemporaries of yours? A few of us used to play indoor football against these lads up at De La Salle in Churchtown. We were all trying to get fitter and fitter and some of the games ended up in all out fist fights. Poor Joe died on the court in 2007 (R.I.P).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:46 pm 

Miguel Indurain wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
Miguel Indurain wrote:
camroc1 wrote:

Were Mills or Kavanagh contemporaries of yours? A few of us used to play indoor football against these lads up at De La Salle in Churchtown. We were all trying to get fitter and fitter and some of the games ended up in all out fist fights. Poor Joe died on the court in 2007 (R.I.P).

No. Might have been in one of the brothers classes though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:51 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
Miguel Indurain wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
Miguel Indurain wrote:
camroc1 wrote:

Perhaps.These guys are 57/58. They would have done the Leaving in 1975/76.
Mill's father was the first Ombudsman.

Eddie Guilmartin would be another of this basketball crew. Eddie did teach for a while at Teach Mealog. Dunno if he's still there these days.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:02 pm 

Miguel Indurain wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
Miguel Indurain wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
Miguel Indurain wrote:

Perhaps.These guys are 57/58. They would have done the Leaving in 1975/76.
Mill's father was the first Ombudsman.

Eddie Guilmartin would be another of this basketball crew. Eddie did teach for a while at Teach Mealog. Dunno if he's still there these days.

Ah. I left in '78, and the brothers in '80 and '83.

It's funny how different years don't mix when you're that age ! Or didn't then.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:08 pm 

EverReady wrote:

This hap lark has driven us out of the game, people wanting some of "their money" back in cash.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:10 pm 

lorcanoworms wrote:
EverReady wrote:

This hap lark has driven us out of the game, people wanting some of "their money" back in cash.

No no no you lads are all creaming it

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:11 pm 

So we have learned tonight what we knew for a long time that the referendum to repeal the 8th will not be that at all , it will in fact be a vote for 12 week unlimited abortion on demand.

In my house everyone was pro repeal and would have voted so but I asked them there and 3 out of 4 will be voting no including myself which I thought was interesting

I don't think it will pass

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:13 pm 

goose81 wrote:
So we have learned tonight what we knew for a long time that the referendum to repeal the 8th will not be that at all , it will in fact be a vote for 12 week unlimited abortion on demand.

In my house everyone was pro repeal and would have voted so but I asked them there and 3 out of 4 will be voting no including myself which I thought was interesting

Based upon your survey of three other people?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:14 pm 

sewa wrote:
goose81 wrote:

Yeah based on that alone.

You now have a new category of voters who were pro repeal but will not vote for 12 week abortion on demand, was an interesting discussion on newstalk about it this morning

Last edited by goose81 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:14 pm 

sewa wrote:
goose81 wrote:

Perhaps he should check with globus who has his finger on the pulse of Irish society

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:16 pm 

goose81 wrote:

In my house everyone was pro repeal and would have voted so but I asked them there and 3 out of 4 will be voting no, interesting.

Maybe if you actually considered the evidence ....?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:16 pm 

HighKingLeinster wrote:
sewa wrote:
goose81 wrote:

Perhaps he should check with globus who has his finger on the pulse of Irish society

Globus had you all rattled today. He is a skilled raconteur

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:17 pm 

Gavin Duffy wrote:
goose81 wrote:

In my house everyone was pro repeal and would have voted so but I asked them there and 3 out of 4 will be voting no, interesting.

Care to enlighten us all?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:18 pm 

sewa wrote:
HighKingLeinster wrote:
sewa wrote:
goose81 wrote:

Globus had you all rattled today. He is a skilled raconteur

More just bored and not much else to do then engage with him

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:18 pm 

goose81 wrote:
Gavin Duffy wrote:
goose81 wrote:

Ok, I'm assuming you can't read - send me your address and I'll forward you a special needs audio book for you to drool all over. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:20 pm 

Gavin Duffy wrote:
goose81 wrote:
Gavin Duffy wrote:
goose81 wrote:

Ok, I'm assuming you can't read - send me your address and I'll forward you a special needs audio book for you to drool all over. :thumbup:

No seriously what evidence? Can't read what, you didn't write anything

Nice personal abuse though

If you are referring to polls, most of which didn't ask what is actually going to be asked, well polls are often wrong.

What fun would it be if it was a foregone conclusion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:23 pm 

goose81 wrote:

What did you expect to happen?

If the 8th is repealed, then as far as I'm aware everything falls back on legislation from the 1870s.

There was always going to be legislation brought in on the back of any repeal.

And why are you in favour of repeal sans proposed legislation?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:24 pm 

Was out to lunch with my 88 year old father last week, and was surprised at the vehemence of his pro choice stance, which was based on the very idea of government having the nerve to dictate what women should do with their bodies, in particular being forced to carry an already dead baby to term.

And this from a man I'm pretty sure voted to install the 8th in the constitution.

I think the amendment will pass.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:25 pm 

goose81 wrote:
Gavin Duffy wrote:
goose81 wrote:
Gavin Duffy wrote:
goose81 wrote:

No seriously what evidence? Can't read what, you didn't write anything

Nice personal abuse though

Ya know, all the stuff that led to the referendum being recommended and freely available online. But hey you're free to feign ignorance like the primitivist twat you are for all I care.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:29 pm 

Gavin Duffy wrote:

Ya know, all the stuff that led to the referendum being recommended and freely available online. But hey you're free to feign ignorance like the primitivist twat you are for all I care.

Recommended :lol:

Yeah that was a balanced discussion and representative of the country, go fudge yourself hillbilly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:31 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
Was out to lunch with my 88 year old father last week, and was surprised at the vehemence of his pro choice stance, which was based on the very idea of government having the nerve to dictate what women should do with their bodies, in particular being forced to carry an already dead baby to term.

And this from a man I'm pretty sure voted to install the 8th in the constitution.

An already dead baby does not constitute an abortion. An abortion is killing a baby who's alive. An already dead baby is dead and can't be subject to an abortion.

No disrespect to your father, my own folks have raised the same issue.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:37 pm 

Miguel Indurain wrote:
camroc1 wrote:

An already dead baby does not constitute an abortion. An abortion is killing a baby who's alive. An already dead baby is dead and can't be subject to an abortion.

Willie, I campaigned against the 8th in '83, on the simple basis that a constitution was no place for a ban on what doctors can do. And I think events have vindicated that view. Ethics change through time, leave legislation to the legislature, and medicine to doctors rather than lawyers.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:38 pm 

Whatever about the actual subject and who believes in what I think the political discussion is the more interesting one.

We already have coveney saying he can't support it, varadkar will. Parties will be split, the discussion is going to be vicious in the coming weeks , as hillbilly Gavin Duffy just gave a snapshot of. These people can't engage in rational debate, they are like crazed militants on both sides.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:41 pm 

That is rich

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:41 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
lorcanoworms wrote:
EverReady wrote:

No no no you lads are all creaming it

Luckily we also have the law on our side and can fúck tenants out at will

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:43 pm 

alliswell wrote:
That is rich

How so?

I'm pro abortion in certain circumstances most definitely, I'm anything but militantly anti abortion. I think the way doctors are limited by current laws is a disgrace and we definitely have to make a change.

I'm not too comfortable voting for unlimited 12 week though , I don't think that's a militant view ,a quite reasonable one actually

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:53 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
Miguel Indurain wrote:
camroc1 wrote:

Willie, I campaigned against the 8th in '83, on the simple basis that a constitution was no place for a ban on what doctors can do. And I think events have vindicated that view. Ethics change through time, leave legislation to the legislature, and medicine to doctors rather than lawyers.

You are entitled to your opinion.

I can't, in conscience, agree with the principle that permits parents to kill their unborn. And killing a human life is what is involved in every abortion. Ethics may change, I don't accept that truth ever changes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:56 pm 

Miguel, out of curiosity. Would you have voted to repeal had the only option being given not been 12 week unlimited abortion or would you have voted no either way?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:57 pm 

goose81 wrote:
alliswell wrote:
That is rich

How so?

I'm pro abortion in certain circumstances most definitely, I'm anything but militantly anti abortion. I think the way doctors are limited by current laws is a disgrace and we definitely have to make a change.

I'm not too comfortable voting for unlimited 12 week though , I don't think that's a militant view ,a quite reasonable one actually

12 weeks would be similar to Germany, which is fairly conservative by European standards. This would typically cover the vast majority of abortions; is non-invasive and can be easily monitored.

There will still be women leaving the country for abortions though, but it should mean that for the majority, they'll at least have proper support/counselling etc. I'm not sure how you make this more restrictive without essentially mimicking the existing 19th century law.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:01 am 

Conservative Eddie wrote:
goose81 wrote:
alliswell wrote:
That is rich

How so?

12 weeks would be similar to Germany, which is fairly conservative by European standards. This would typically cover the vast majority of abortions; is non-invasive and can be easily monitored.

There will still be women leaving the country for abortions though, but it should mean that for the majority, they'll at least have proper support/counselling etc. I'm not sure how you make this more restrictive without essentially mimicking the existing 19th century law.

Maybe just insert a clause saying if a woman's life is in any way endangered or a fetus is unviable an abortion can be performed. Obviously you've then you've got the option of mental distress i.e suicide.

I'm not a legal eagle I'm sure someone here knows alot more but surely there's another option other than 12 week unlimited being offered.

I'd love to repeal but I can't vote for that

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:04 am 

Keep the lawyers out of medicine. It really is that simple.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:07 am 

camroc1 wrote:

It's not really ,care to elaborate..

So if someone goes into a doctor and says butcher me to bits and leave me on a slab in pieces I don't want to live anymore it should be legal because a doctor should be able to do what they want :?

Everything has to have rules/guidelines

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:11 am 

goose81 wrote:
camroc1 wrote:

It's not really ,care to elaborate..

So if someone goes into a doctor and says butcher me to bits and leave me on a slab in pieces I don't want to live anymore it should be legal because a doctor should be able to do what they want :?

Everything has to have rules/guidelines

It does, but the constitution is not the place for them, as it is lawyers who interpret its nuances, and they parse according to what is written, rather than what is in any particular patients best interests. Leave the oversight to legislation/ethics committees.

And that's all that's been decided tonight.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1008, 1009, 1010, 1011, 1012, 1013, 1014 ... 1081  Next