Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:54 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1010, 1011, 1012, 1013, 1014, 1015, 1016 ... 1262  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:22 pm 

[quote="camroc1"][quote="Leinsterman"][quote="camroc1"]the plants threatened with closure couldn't make it cheaply enough.[/quote]

Not quite as simple as that[/quote]
I understand that, just using 'cheap' as a cover all. Viridian are acting the bollox, as it is only one of the Huntstown stations that missed out, the other didn't. But Viridian are threatening to close both. AS I understand it they legally need the permission of Eirgrid to close any or either station.[/quote]
They've to supply for a min of 36 months and they've sought a derogation on this frim Eirgrid (good luck).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:23 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
rfurlong wrote:
please move the repeal debate over to the correct thread

has anyone read Seamus Coffey's takedown of that clown Serra in Davos, re: Irish corporate tax? Its a thing of beauty.....

http://economic-incentives.blogspot.ie/

And that, Ladies and Gentlemen, is how to slam dunk a spoofer....

I commented on that Davos interview at the time it happened - this Italian hedge fund manager just got up on stage and told a complete bunch of lies in an attempt to trash our reputation. The language he used was beyond the pale - inferring that our tax rate was a joke and that we were stealing from our European neighbours. Batting for Ireland was the feckless Pascal who looked like he didn’t have a good understanding of this himself and he put up a really terrible defence when this needed to be slapped down at source. We have lost the PR war on this one and we’re going to suffer as a result

Pascal is a figure of fun for God sake.

Least formidable Minister of Finance I can remember.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:56 pm 

paddyor wrote:
They've to supply for a min of 36 months and they've sought a derogation on this from Eirgrid (good luck).

They haven't "sought" anything

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:12 pm 

Leinsterman wrote:
paddyor wrote:
They've to supply for a min of 36 months and they've sought a derogation on this from Eirgrid (good luck).

Fair enough, I was listening to a spokesperson for eirgrid on rte. Maybe she said it wrong or I took her up wrong. She was mostly defending the process that led to this.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:21 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
rfurlong wrote:

has anyone read Seamus Coffey's takedown of that clown Serra in Davos, re: Irish corporate tax? Its a thing of beauty.....

I commented on that Davos interview at the time it happened - this Italian hedge fund manager just got up on stage and told a complete bunch of lies in an attempt to trash our reputation. The language he used was beyond the pale - inferring that our tax rate was a joke and that we were stealing from our European neighbours. Batting for Ireland was the feckless Pascal who looked like he didn’t have a good understanding of this himself and he put up a really terrible defence when this needed to be slapped down at source. We have lost the PR war on this one and we’re going to suffer as a result

Good God but you have a very short memory.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:25 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:43 pm 

ticketlessinseattle wrote:
CM11 wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:
back on topic - nothing new but timely opinion piece in the Business Post about how we fall over ourselves to get in FDI's but aren't all that bothered about our own SME's. Basically that Supermacs announced hiring 400 new staff with new restaurants coming on line but barely makes the news. If McDonagh was wearing a baseball hat and had a skateboard under his arm and had a californian accent we'd have announced a state visit. 2 out of every 3 jobs created since the crash have been by Irish companies - in the era of tightening of our 12.5% and lower rates we need to focus more on promoting our own home grown companies - hard to argue with. On a related note this new proposed digital tax (in my limited understanding of it) is something that could significantly negatively impact our tax take and appeal to foreign companies that doesnt seem to get a lot of discussion.

400 jobs in a Supermacs isn't that big a deal. Would you expect a TD to go to the opening of a new massive McDonalds?

And that's not even touching upon the fast-food controversy.

and there you have it....but 40 jobs (5 initially followed by 35 over 3 years) by an AI company in the cloud is a jizz fest ; that and if fa company closed down with the loss of 400 jobs it'd be first things on the news tonight. i've only worked for US companies for 7 of the 9 years that i've moved back to Ireland so a job in a place i would never eat is irrelevant to me personally but ya know, bigger picture and all.

Well, the bigger picture is to attract outside investment. That outside investment fuels the local economy that you're talking about. The jobs will be created or not either way and are more reliant on Ireland continuing to be successful on a global scale. We are dead in the water without FDI.

you dont get it stats.....no one is arguing about FDI and its importance - the point is that we should try and move away from relying on it to the extent that we do. Especially with moves afoot that are completely outside our control to make us less attractive to forin companies

Well, I do get what you're saying and have countered it with an opinion that I don't think we can survive without FDI. But if we are to walk on our own two feet then it won't be because Supermacs are employing 400 new staff, it'll be because that AI company has spawned Irish offshoots.

Basically, the Supermacs jobs are a red herring. They're a result of demand created elsewhere. I've no problem with you backing Irish companies who serve to create that demand.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:00 pm 

paddyor wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:
paddyor wrote:

Fair enough, I was listening to a spokesperson for eirgrid on rte. Maybe she said it wrong or I took her up wrong. She was mostly defending the process that led to this.

Aoife MacEvilly did an appalling job trying to explain the situation and she's one of the commissioners in CRU.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:03 pm 

The Sun God wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
rfurlong wrote:

Good God but you have a very short memory.

Do I?

I'd rather any of Noonan, Lenihan, Biffo or McCreevey in a situation like the one described.

Not some lisping softcock.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:14 pm 

News of Capex at Dublin Airport.

The Government will appoint Fingal Co. Council as the Airport Noise Regulator allowing current EU noise limits to become legal in Ireland. This will allow DAA to go back to ABP looking for the operation time restrictions imposed to be replaced with a clause saying that EU noise restrictions have to be adhered to. As 'planes have got quieter and quieter, these limits are relatively easy to achieve for a modern airport.

Note the Shinner opposing for the sake of opposing at the end, not giving a fúck for the greater economic good,

Quote:
Cabinet supports plans for new runway at Dublin Airport
Updated / Tuesday, 30 Jan 2018 15:53

The Taoiseach has confirmed that the Cabinet has agreed to support Dublin Airport Authority's plan to construct a new runway at Dublin Airport.

Speaking in the Dáil Leo Varadkar said it was very important for the economy, tourism and business.

DAA announced plans for the 3,110 metre runway, to be build north of the existing runway, in 2016.

The project is estimated to cost €320 million.

Planning permission was originally granted for a new runway in 2007, but that project was shelved due to the economic downturn and a decline in passenger numbers.

However, the number of people travelling through the airport has increased significantly.

Minister for Transport Shane Ross has said the Government intends to appoint Fingal County Council as the independent Airport Noise Regulator.

They will operate in accordance with EU regulations, which sets out how the impact of airport noise should be managed and monitored at all major European airports.

The matter was raised by Sinn Féin TD Louise Reilly, who said local residents wanted existing noise restrictions to be retained, rather than be replaced with less restrictive EU noise restrictions.

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2018/0130/937111-runway/

Separately, the DAA have presented their 3 year construction programme which envisges them spending € 300m a year (€900m in toto) on various construction projects, between 2018 and 2020, including the aforementioned runway, a new metro station, and a tunnel to the west apron to allow busing of passengers to remote stands without surface crossing the field.

Quote:
DAA seeks to spend €300m a year on airport works

Fearghal O'Connor

January 28 2018 6:00 PM

Dublin Airport will undergo major building work in the coming years, with the airport authority preparing to double its spend on construction.

DAA last week presented its 2018 to 2020 construction programme to major contracting companies, many of which are likely to bid for the lucrative contract that will be on offer.

The State company told the contractors that it is spending approximately €150m a year on capital projects but that this will double to €300m a year. It will be entitled to recover this through charges, which are set at more than €10 per passenger.

The airport has grown significantly over the last year, with a total of 29.6 million passengers travelling in 2017, up 6pc on 2016, marking the seventh consecutive year of growth.

DAA said construction projects would include terminal infrastructure, pier development, apron space, surface access development and a possible tunnel to the west apron area of the airport.

Other projects would include its Dublin Airport Central commercial development and a possible metro station. This would all take place alongside the building of the major northern parallel runway, for which tenders are due back in June of this year. A new noise insulation project would also kick off in 2018, it said.

Ongoing projects at the airport include the overlay of the main runway, a new transfer facility at Terminal 2 and a major revamp of Terminal 1.

DAA told the building companies building companies that the pipeline of upcoming capital projects had been broken into lots whereby no one project would exceed €30m in value.

The presentation also outlined how the regulatory system under which the airport operates requires planning of projects to take place up to seven years before delivery. The budget for projects is also agreed up to seven years "before execution" and "cost certainty is key". Builders will need public liability insurance worth €127m to work on airside projects at the airport.

https://www.independent.ie/business/iri ... 37396.html

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:26 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
rfurlong wrote:

The problem is that the time and place to resound to a clown is there and then. No matter how comprehensive the defence or rebuttal may be, if it's delivery is delayed then the headline had been lost.

And when delivered it has less impact because it's following a dead item in yesterdays news cycle.

The only way a delayed defence can wipe out the momentum garnered by a premptive strike is if it is over the top vicious. Cool calm and cogent is cool calm and cogently too late.

Trump gets it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:31 pm 

redderneck wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
rfurlong wrote:

The problem is that the time and place to resound to a clown is there and then. No matter how comprehensive the defence or rebuttal may be, if it's delivery is delayed then the headline had been lost.

And when delivered it has less impact because it's following a dead item in yesterdays news cycle.

The only way a delayed defence can wipe out the momentum garnered by a premptive strike is if it is over the top vicious. Cool calm and cogent is cool calm and cogently too late.

Trump gets it.

What you do is you make sure that Coffeys rebuttal is forwarded to as many industry players as possible so that when they raise their head again. and they will, people will point and laugh.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:45 pm 

redderneck wrote:

Trump gets it.

He's an Italian hedge fund manager mouthing off at Davos. The only way this takes flight if Pascal fights back and gives him an intemperate headline.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:00 pm 

anonymous_joe wrote:
back on topic - nothing new but timely opinion piece in the Business Post about how we fall over ourselves to get in FDI's but aren't all that bothered about our own SME's. Basically that Supermacs announced hiring 400 new staff with new restaurants coming on line but barely makes the news. If McDonagh was wearing a baseball hat and had a skateboard under his arm and had a californian accent we'd have announced a state visit. 2 out of every 3 jobs created since the crash have been by Irish companies - in the era of tightening of our 12.5% and lower rates we need to focus more on promoting our own home grown companies - hard to argue with. On a related note this new proposed digital tax (in my limited understanding of it) is something that could significantly negatively impact our tax take and appeal to foreign companies that doesnt seem to get a lot of discussion.

400 jobs in a Supermacs isn't that big a deal. Would you expect a TD to go to the opening of a new massive McDonalds?

and there you have it....but 40 jobs (5 initially followed by 35 over 3 years) by an AI company in the cloud is a jizz fest ; that and if fa company closed down with the loss of 400 jobs it'd be first things on the news tonight. i've only worked for US companies for 7 of the 9 years that i've moved back to Ireland so a job in a place i would never eat is irrelevant to me personally but ya know, bigger picture and all.

40 good jobs in an AI company will always get more attention than 400 burger slingers in a Supermacs. It's not complicated.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:03 pm 

paddyor wrote:
redderneck wrote:

Trump gets it.

He's an Italian hedge fund manager mouthing off at Davos. The only way this takes flight if Pascal fights back and gives him an intemperate headline.

He's an innumerate Italian hedge fund manager mouthing off at Davos. I'm not sure his clients will appreciate him not differentiating between 0.2 %, and 0.002% though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:32 pm 

So the EU are going to allow Ireland invest massively in infrastructure in order to counterbalance the effects of Brexit.

Quote:
EU fiscal rules will allow Ireland to increase its investment programmes in the face of asymmetric shocks like Brexit, the European Commission’s senior economic vice-president,Valdis Dombrovskis, will tell ministers on a visit to Dublin over the next two days.

The commission acknowledges that Ireland will be the member state most dramatically affected by Brexit, he told the Irish Times yesterday, and preparation is “essential”. But “there are current fiscal rules, for example the so-called “investment clause”, which allows member states temporarily to deviate from the adjustment paths of their medium term budgetary objectives to increase EU-cofinanced investment. So Ireland, for example, can make use of this clause.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/eco ... -1.3374022

If that really is the case, nearly all the big Tiger infrastructure projects could be on again

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:10 pm 

Metro north due to be fast tracked in any event

2nd runway

Finish the M11 and upgrade Rosslare port

A rake of house building (guaranteed we’ll end up with too many again in 5 years)

Plus some roooooooooooral Ireland projects to keep the unwashed happy ..... broadband, limerick-cork etc

One project I’d like to see a feasibility/CBA for is this:

A spur off the green Luas line at Stillorgan station
Turning left and going down brewery road to the N11
Single track down the central reservation with periodic ‘lay bys’ allowing trams to pass
Stops at junction with N11, Stillorgan village, fosters avenue (radisson hotel), RTE, donnybrook stadium, Appian way, lesson st bridge/canal, then finally merging with the green line again at Stephen’s green

Apart from screwing up car traffic at Kielys pub (fvck em), it would make a lot of sense based on the following:

Massive additional catchment not currently served by DART or green Luas
Wouldn’t require huge investment as it’s all on existing roads
Would really sweat the existing Luas green line (it’s essentially a “cross southside” version of the cabra line.
Wouldn’t have to cross the river
Could add an additional spur down Nutley road to service St Vincent’s and service Sydney parade, then on down merrion road to ballsbridge, shelbourne road, Lansdowne (Dart again), silicon docks on over new bridge to the Point, or link in with new Luas line planned to be heading back out to the IGB site in ringsend

What’s the downside? €300m would do it and it would have huge numbers switching from
Cars to use it

I’d prioritize new Luas lines over expensive DART investment any day of the week

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:34 pm 

anonymous_joe wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:

40 good jobs in an AI company will always get more attention than 400 burger slingers in a Supermacs. It's not complicated.

if the priority is to support something sexy then yes obviously - the point of the article is that maybe the Irish government should look beyond the photo op for where to allocate resources.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:34 pm 

Would serve UCD as well. Once Metro North is complete UCD would be the only major Dublin University not served by LUAS/DART.

Whilst I agree in general with no expensive DART, I do think the DART underground would have major benefits for the interconnectivity of all DUblin rail based PT whether LUAS, DART or IR commuter or mainline services.

I also think they should be looking afresh at the Lucan LUAS Line F and get the inner city part of it, out as far as the red line intersection, commenced quickly.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:39 pm 

rfurlong, surely the only way to go through DB is under or over? (well specifically at Kielys).

There isn't really room at the turn as it is for buses so I don't think a tram on both sides would work.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:51 pm 

CM11 wrote:
rfurlong, surely the only way to go through DB is under or over? (well specifically at Kielys).

There isn't really room at the turn as it is for buses so I don't think a tram on both sides would work.

I would have thought a detour through UCD, and up through the bus station on "stilts", up and over the Donnybrook Road across the Dodder behind Donnybrook Stadium, and then across Herbert park to link up with Morehampton Road.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:01 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
CM11 wrote:

I would have thought a detour through UCD, and up through the bus station on "stilts", up and over the Donnybrook Road across the Dodder behind Donnybrook Stadium, and then across Herbert park to link up with Morehampton Road.

Sounds good.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:45 pm 

Best of luck getting planning permission for an elevated rail line in Donnybrook

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:48 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:
Best of luck getting planning permission for an elevated rail line in Donnybrook

They'll have to knock down the Brook.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:50 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
Would serve UCD as well. Once Metro North is complete UCD would be the only major Dublin University not served by LUAS/DART.

Whilst I agree in general with no expensive DART, I do think the DART underground would have major benefits for the interconnectivity of all DUblin rail based PT whether LUAS, DART or IR commuter or mainline services.

I also think they should be looking afresh at the Lucan LUAS Line F and get the inner city part of it, out as far as the red line intersection, commenced quickly.

Lucan would be better served with a better quality bus service for the newer estates. They currently only have the 25a and 25b. A 25c and more frequent buses at peak times would benefit the area enormously, not a LUAS.
Oh and maybe opening the train station down near Grange Castle too.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:50 pm 

iarmhiman wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:

No, they won't. Plenty of land for a viaduct along the Dodder banks.

And Duff, there may well be lots of objections, but greater good and all that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:52 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:

We need to just bite the bullet and start constructing an underground metro.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:58 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:

We are,

Both DART underground, and Metro North are real metro systems, and in fact it would be relatively straight forward to turn the LUAS green line into a proper metro from Stephens Green to Stillorgan.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:01 pm 

The problem with the luas v dart is the travel time and susceptibility to delays. The Red line takes a month to go from start to finish. The Dart can cover the distance in more reasonable time. That being said the train isnt perfect. If you could connect the trains coming in from Naas and further from heuston in to town directly that would open up commuting from far further afield. Same applies to down south Wicklow way where commuting times on the train don't make sense when the trains get clogged up by the glacial moving dart.

Last edited by nardol on Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:09 pm 

Red line takes about an hour which really isn't bad compared to other forms of transport. The dart takes ages itself.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:29 pm 

Leinsterman wrote:
camroc1 wrote:

Lucan would be better served with a better quality bus service for the newer estates. They currently only have the 25a and 25b. A 25c and more frequent buses at peak times would benefit the area enormously, not a LUAS.
Oh and maybe opening the train station down near Grange Castle too.

They also have the 151 and the train station in Adamstown.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:42 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:

We are,

Both DART underground, and Metro North are real metro systems, and in fact it would be relatively straight forward to turn the LUAS green line into a proper metro from Stephens Green to Stillorgan.

I'll believe they're building them when they break ground and not a second beforehand.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:39 am 

@cammy - I forgot about UCD re: that Luas extension .... another good reason to do it

re: the Kielys chicane, I turn the whole section into an Adelaide road/college green setup ..... where the buses and cars would just have to fecking wait behind traffic lights until the trams had navigated through that pinch point

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:53 am 

Another hutch associate shot dead I see ......

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:00 am 

rfurlong wrote:
Another hutch associate shot dead I see ......

All those north inner city flats should have their tenants dispersed around the greater Dublin area and the sites redeveloped.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:06 am 

You'd nearly feel sorry for the hutches at this stage, it's like Barca v a pub team.

They had that Sunday world journalist on dunohys podcast the other week and she said hutch is a smart man, reckons he's waiting for the big hit biding his time. That he won't strike until he can get kinahan himself or the son which would be fairly funny if he did it. Hopefully they all kill each other

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:27 am 

The younger kinahan scumbag has to leave Dubai shortly as the Irish government won’t sign his UAE visa application form

Anywhere he lands in Europe he’ll be picked up and sent back to Ireland under an EU arrest warrant. Once he’s in custody or on bail, hutch will probably roll the dice .....

Hopefully they’ll all shoot each other in a Mexican standoff a la reservoir dogs .... without the cops getting caught in the cross fire

The nonsense Niall ring spouts about the ordinary decent hutch relatives and wider community in buckingham street/5 lamps is laughable. Lots of innocent people there for sure who are suffering ..... but the same people turned a blind eye for decades as this vista formed and loomed into view

Cammy is right .... the critical mass of criminality in these flat complexes should be scattered to the 4 corners of Ireland.

Our historic social housing policy (still favored by PBP et al) has concentrated these scumbags in small areas, leading to an epidemic of violent crime. They states response should be similar to what was done to eradicate TB ..... isolate and disperse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:46 am 

rfurlong wrote:
Cammy is right .... the critical mass of criminality in these flat complexes should be scattered to the 4 corners of Ireland.

fudge off if you think you can spread your knackers around the country. You can keep your scum. They are your people and your problem.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:37 am 

themaddog wrote:
They also have the 151 and the train station in Adamstown.

151 barely serves any areas in Lucan bar one or two of the very southerly estates.
Adamstown train station doesn't have enough parking and is not particularly accessible unless people are actually living in Adamstown.
They really need to look at developing and opening Kishogue train station.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:59 am 

Not only is he a scumbag landlord but he's also a strategic defaulter.
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social- ... ssion=true

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1010, 1011, 1012, 1013, 1014, 1015, 1016 ... 1262  Next