Chat Forum
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47562 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1026, 1027, 1028, 1029, 1030, 1031, 1032 ... 1190  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:51 pm
Posts: 13202
Bullettyme wrote:
Just reading about the metro and now it looks to be replacing the Luas Green Line. Jesus f**king wept. They're also scrapping the Mater stop - currently the only place where they've actually done work towards building the metro. FFS you couldn't make it up.

While it makes sense to have something with abit more capacity to travel to Sandyford, we've effectively pissed our money away on the green line which will be scrapped within 20 years of being built.

In fairness, the Mater is about 500m Max from Drumcondra station which should be connected to it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15859
Mullet 2 wrote:
Instead of scrapping the thing why not spend the money on another line from out Templeogue way to take off the pressure?

It does highlight the point I was making on Metro when everybody on here was crying build it now. I'd rather do something right once and have it for a 100 years.


I would suck some cock for that


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20543
paddyor wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
Just reading about the metro and now it looks to be replacing the Luas Green Line. Jesus f**king wept. They're also scrapping the Mater stop - currently the only place where they've actually done work towards building the metro. FFS you couldn't make it up.

While it makes sense to have something with abit more capacity to travel to Sandyford, we've effectively pissed our money away on the green line which will be scrapped within 20 years of being built.

In fairness, the Mater is about 500m Max from Drumcondra station which should be connected to it.


That's a fair point actually, although I thought the Drumcondra stop would be in upper Drumcondra tbh. They've already sunk elements of the Mater stop, which I thought was quite an impressive piece of forward planning for Ireland, but that kudos seems to have been misplaced.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20543
Mullet 2 wrote:
Instead of scrapping the thing why not spend the money on another line from out Templeogue way to take off the pressure?

It does highlight the point I was making on Metro when everybody on here was crying build it now. I'd rather do something right once and have it for a 100 years.


It would be a sensible idea; half way between the two lines already in service, or close enough anyway. It would make sense rather than adding an extension to Bray, which would probably kill the service stone dead. Probably not much room around Tempelogue and on the way in though.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:51 pm
Posts: 13202
Bullettyme wrote:
paddyor wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
Just reading about the metro and now it looks to be replacing the Luas Green Line. Jesus f**king wept. They're also scrapping the Mater stop - currently the only place where they've actually done work towards building the metro. FFS you couldn't make it up.

While it makes sense to have something with abit more capacity to travel to Sandyford, we've effectively pissed our money away on the green line which will be scrapped within 20 years of being built.

In fairness, the Mater is about 500m Max from Drumcondra station which should be connected to it.


That's a fair point actually, although I thought the Drumcondra stop would be in upper Drumcondra tbh. They've already sunk elements of the Mater stop, which I thought was quite an impressive piece of forward planning for Ireland, but that kudos seems to have been misplaced.

Yes it looks like pork now. From that map, it looks to be going thru more glasnevin than drumcondra.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 25037
Can anyone post the map?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 52457
AJ

Thanks for that. So, basically a decision in the current case in the courts can't be used in his appeal?

But isn't the point that the directive was illegal before his case was heard? What logic did the judge use to allow the mobile evidence?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20543
paddyor wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
paddyor wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
Just reading about the metro and now it looks to be replacing the Luas Green Line. Jesus f**king wept. They're also scrapping the Mater stop - currently the only place where they've actually done work towards building the metro. FFS you couldn't make it up.

While it makes sense to have something with abit more capacity to travel to Sandyford, we've effectively pissed our money away on the green line which will be scrapped within 20 years of being built.

In fairness, the Mater is about 500m Max from Drumcondra station which should be connected to it.


That's a fair point actually, although I thought the Drumcondra stop would be in upper Drumcondra tbh. They've already sunk elements of the Mater stop, which I thought was quite an impressive piece of forward planning for Ireland, but that kudos seems to have been misplaced.

Yes it looks like pork now. From that map, it looks to be going thru more glasnevin than drumcondra.


Which map, the one in the LD article? If so that's the old map, which doesn't go near Glasnevin really. If there's an updated map I'd be interested to see it, because looks like LD is the only one carrying that story.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4420
redderneck wrote:
Agree with CM11 - on the face of it I don't see how this will survive the challenge.

Hope there's more nuance to it, or we could see this evil smug shit walk.

Hopefully he suffers the same fate as another evil cúnt who died in prison today.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21376
CM11 wrote:
AJ

Thanks for that. So, basically a decision in the current case in the courts can't be used in his appeal?

But isn't the point that the directive was illegal before his case was heard? What logic did the judge use to allow the mobile evidence?

Ah it depends on the case. There are exceptions, and this is slightly different in character. He has a real point, but it's an unsympathetic argument, to put it mildly.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 42473
anonymous_joe wrote:
CM11 wrote:
AJ

Thanks for that. So, basically a decision in the current case in the courts can't be used in his appeal?

But isn't the point that the directive was illegal before his case was heard? What logic did the judge use to allow the mobile evidence?

Ah it depends on the case. There are exceptions, and this is slightly different in character. He has a real point, but it's an unsympathetic argument, to put it mildly.

Would the question any judge would ask not be "Does this make the conviction unsafe", rather than they held records for xx months/yrs too long therefore the conviction, no matter what the records showed, is unsafe?

That is, the evidence is still the evidence, and was obtained in good faith.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 52457
Ok, to use the phrase from American law dramas, he's arguing fruit from a forbidden tree and dismissing all subsequent evidence as a result whereas the DPP will argue that at the time the tree wasn't forbidden?

Does the case fall if just the mobile evidence is removed?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15754
CM11 wrote:
Ok, to use the phrase from American law dramas, he's arguing fruit from a forbidden tree and dismissing all subsequent evidence as a result whereas the DPP will argue that at the time the tree wasn't forbidden?

Does the case fall if just the mobile evidence is removed?


Edit- wrong thread.


Last edited by Flametop on Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 13987
CM11 wrote:
Ok, to use the phrase from American law dramas, he's arguing fruit from a forbidden tree and dismissing all subsequent evidence as a result whereas the DPP will argue that at the time the tree wasn't forbidden?

Does the case fall if just the mobile evidence is removed?

I followed the trial at the time (through the newspaper obviously). Without the phone evidence I reckon he walks, yeah before anyone asks thats an amateur opinion


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:07 pm
Posts: 6907
sewa wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Ok, to use the phrase from American law dramas, he's arguing fruit from a forbidden tree and dismissing all subsequent evidence as a result whereas the DPP will argue that at the time the tree wasn't forbidden?

Does the case fall if just the mobile evidence is removed?

I followed the trial at the time (through the newspaper obviously). Without the phone evidence I reckon he walks, yeah before anyone asks thats an amateur opinion


I think that's the general consensus. That evidence places him at the scene of the crime and there was other evidence linking him directly to the murder. Without it there is really no case.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21376
There's decades of jurisprudence on those questions, and I couldn't even begin to explain all that shíte.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 42473
Rumham wrote:
sewa wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Ok, to use the phrase from American law dramas, he's arguing fruit from a forbidden tree and dismissing all subsequent evidence as a result whereas the DPP will argue that at the time the tree wasn't forbidden?

Does the case fall if just the mobile evidence is removed?

I followed the trial at the time (through the newspaper obviously). Without the phone evidence I reckon he walks, yeah before anyone asks thats an amateur opinion


I think that's the general consensus. That evidence places him at the scene of the crime and there was other evidence linking him directly to the murder. Without it there is really no case.

But that evidence is still evidence, as in unadulterated fact. The problem is that he won't walk but will have another trial. And good luck finding a jury in Ireland that won't find him guity next time out(ie everyone is aware of the phone evidence).

The evidence only showed where Dwyers phone was, ie it is entirely factual, and as such is always relevant to any trial.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 25037
Seems to be a slight step back from Snowmageddon, going to be f**king freezing but the dump of snow seems a bit less certain.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 42473
danthefan wrote:
Seems to be a slight step back from Snowmageddon, going to be f**king freezing but the dump of snow seems a bit less certain.

Different models, different runs. They're rather like opinion polls in that you should only compare with the last run of that particular model; and in any event anything more than 3-4 days out it is trends you are looking for. What seems certain is that from next Monday we are going to have very cold air sourced in Siberia blowing over us for nearly a week. In those conditions, there will be snow.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:18 am
Posts: 2962
Those boards wankers. I was ready for a a few days off.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15859
AJ - perhaps you could give your opinion on this?

My opinion first of all is what the actual fudge is someone on the judiciary doing sticking their ugly mugs in to the realm of politics? Worst of all doing it through the press! Crossed the line there IMO.

Fair enough pointing out bottlenecks in the system and improvements but these should be done through back channels not in the press and also this is going further - its telling law makers what laws they should make / fund.

Taoiseach's letter to homeowner described as 'sick joke' by Master of High Court
Updated / Wednesday, 21 Feb 2018 11:00
Edmund Honohan said if community funding could be resourced, then co-op housing would be the way forward
Edmund Honohan said if community funding could be resourced, then co-op housing would be the way forward
Master of the High Court Edmund Honohan has described as "a sick joke", a letter sent from Taoiseach Leo Varadkar to a man seeking to avoid repossession of his home, to contact mortgage arrears adviser Abhaile.

Mr Honohan said he has people in his court, on a daily basis, who are struggling to hold off repossession, and he had asked them to contact the Taoiseach to see where they could find mortgage-to-rent as a solution.

Mr Honohan said Abhaile is of no use to these people because it is "merely a voucher for €250 worth of legal advice" before you go to the Circuit Court.

Speaking on RTÉ's Morning Ireland, he asked why the Taoiseach's office is so misinformed that it is unable to formulate a reasonable policy to cope with the wave of repossessions that is about to break.

He said if community funding could be resourced, then co-op housing would be the way forward, pointing out that over a million people in Norway live in co-operative housing.



He described it as a "friendly vulture" who would take over the non-performing loans and remove them from the bank books.

Regulation did not, he said, help those in arrears who do not have the money to do a deal.

Mr Honohan has written a new bill that would give greater powers to the State's financial and legal support services and stronger protections to people who are in mortgage arrears.

However, he said no political party had indicated support for his bill and that this "is a cross party effort".

He said he was "using the good offices of John McGuinness (Fianna Fail TD) to lodge it".

"The disaster affects voters of all parties and none, and a cross-party effort is what's required at this stage, rather than the pretty superficial commentary from all sides".

He said Senator David Norris introduced the last bill, which he described as a "first draft of this".

In relation to the PTSB mortgage situation, he said if anyone asked him in court what they should do next, he said he would tell them that "they must appeal the Circuit Court Order and approach a personal insolvency practitioner straight away".



He said: "Nobody is giving them that advice. Why should they have to come to me in court to get advice?

"It should be the Taoiseach who's telling them that".

He said because there is no public money available for mortgage to rent, ethical co-operative funding "should be allowed to come in and take up where the State has abysmally failed".

He said he has been "pressed by a number of TDs who have spoken to other private individuals outside who are keen to get involved".

Fianna Fail TDand Chairman of the Oireachtas Finance Committee John McGuinness says the bill proposed by Mr Honohan would make Ireland less attractive to vulture funds if passed.

Mr McGuinness told RTÉ's Today with Sean O'Rourke that he values Mr Honohan's advice and the bill he has put together.

He explained that a well regulated industry, along with the establishment of an ethical fund, would make Ireland less attractive to vulture funds.

Mr McGuinness warned that thousands of people were in danger of losing their homes, if PTSB sold its loan book.

Something drastic and extraordinary must be done, he said, if this was to be prevented.

Mr McGuinness said the finance committee would decide later if it should bring in PTSB to explain what loans are being sold on, what the discount price is and establish why that discount price is not being applied to the individual cases.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 16420
Location: #68
He is a disgrace. A grandstanding muppet.

He has an admin roll but thinks he is changing the world.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am
Posts: 13216
How many years have been hearing about this wave of repossessions now? Always just over the hill.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6486
Mullet 2 wrote:
How many years have been hearing about this wave of repossessions now? Always just over the hill.


Hmm, two days after PTSB sold 14,000 home loans to the vultures.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15859
Why the political bitching about the sale of bad loans?
If someone can't afford the house they are in.... What the actual fudge are they doing in that house? Specially considering the strong recovery in house prices in the first place.

The reason banks are selling bad loans is because a bad loan that turns good takes a long time to be not calculated as a bad loan for regulatory purposes and for an Irish Bank to get possession of a property on which a bad loan rest is very difficult and that's not even covering the political difficulties (in AIB and PTSB case).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am
Posts: 13216
Leinster in London wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
How many years have been hearing about this wave of repossessions now? Always just over the hill.


Hmm, two days after PTSB sold 14,000 home loans to the vultures.



What sale?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6486
Mullet 2 wrote:
Leinster in London wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
How many years have been hearing about this wave of repossessions now? Always just over the hill.


Hmm, two days after PTSB sold 14,000 home loans to the vultures.



What sale?


Sorry, proposed sale, which I note FF are jumping in to join with PBP to try and block.
Good luck fighting their battles.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am
Posts: 13216
Pardon?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2412
Leinster in London wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
Leinster in London wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
How many years have been hearing about this wave of repossessions now? Always just over the hill.


Hmm, two days after PTSB sold 14,000 home loans to the vultures.



What sale?


Sorry, proposed sale, which I note FF are jumping in to join with PBP to try and block.
Good luck fighting their battles.

commies the lot of them, just ask mullet commissar of the malahide soviet


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 25037
nardol wrote:
Why the political bitching about the sale of bad loans?
If someone can't afford the house they are in.... What the actual fudge are they doing in that house? Specially considering the strong recovery in house prices in the first place.

The reason banks are selling bad loans is because a bad loan that turns good takes a long time to be not calculated as a bad loan for regulatory purposes and for an Irish Bank to get possession of a property on which a bad loan rest is very difficult and that's not even covering the political difficulties (in AIB and PTSB case).


Because it lets them say stuff like VULTURES over and over and over again?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:34 pm 
Online

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 40628
Location: Dublin
Here is the latest GFS:

Looking likely for snow:

Image

Image[/img]

ECM 12z should be ready after 18:00 this evening. Will be very interesting


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21376
nardol wrote:
AJ - perhaps you could give your opinion on this?

My opinion first of all is what the actual fudge is someone on the judiciary doing sticking their ugly mugs in to the realm of politics? Worst of all doing it through the press! Crossed the line there IMO.

Fair enough pointing out bottlenecks in the system and improvements but these should be done through back channels not in the press and also this is going further - its telling law makers what laws they should make / fund.

Taoiseach's letter to homeowner described as 'sick joke' by Master of High Court
Updated / Wednesday, 21 Feb 2018 11:00
Edmund Honohan said if community funding could be resourced, then co-op housing would be the way forward
Edmund Honohan said if community funding could be resourced, then co-op housing would be the way forward
Master of the High Court Edmund Honohan has described as "a sick joke", a letter sent from Taoiseach Leo Varadkar to a man seeking to avoid repossession of his home, to contact mortgage arrears adviser Abhaile.

Mr Honohan said he has people in his court, on a daily basis, who are struggling to hold off repossession, and he had asked them to contact the Taoiseach to see where they could find mortgage-to-rent as a solution.

Mr Honohan said Abhaile is of no use to these people because it is "merely a voucher for €250 worth of legal advice" before you go to the Circuit Court.

Speaking on RTÉ's Morning Ireland, he asked why the Taoiseach's office is so misinformed that it is unable to formulate a reasonable policy to cope with the wave of repossessions that is about to break.

He said if community funding could be resourced, then co-op housing would be the way forward, pointing out that over a million people in Norway live in co-operative housing.



He described it as a "friendly vulture" who would take over the non-performing loans and remove them from the bank books.

Regulation did not, he said, help those in arrears who do not have the money to do a deal.

Mr Honohan has written a new bill that would give greater powers to the State's financial and legal support services and stronger protections to people who are in mortgage arrears.

However, he said no political party had indicated support for his bill and that this "is a cross party effort".

He said he was "using the good offices of John McGuinness (Fianna Fail TD) to lodge it".

"The disaster affects voters of all parties and none, and a cross-party effort is what's required at this stage, rather than the pretty superficial commentary from all sides".

He said Senator David Norris introduced the last bill, which he described as a "first draft of this".

In relation to the PTSB mortgage situation, he said if anyone asked him in court what they should do next, he said he would tell them that "they must appeal the Circuit Court Order and approach a personal insolvency practitioner straight away".



He said: "Nobody is giving them that advice. Why should they have to come to me in court to get advice?

"It should be the Taoiseach who's telling them that".

He said because there is no public money available for mortgage to rent, ethical co-operative funding "should be allowed to come in and take up where the State has abysmally failed".

He said he has been "pressed by a number of TDs who have spoken to other private individuals outside who are keen to get involved".

Fianna Fail TDand Chairman of the Oireachtas Finance Committee John McGuinness says the bill proposed by Mr Honohan would make Ireland less attractive to vulture funds if passed.

Mr McGuinness told RTÉ's Today with Sean O'Rourke that he values Mr Honohan's advice and the bill he has put together.

He explained that a well regulated industry, along with the establishment of an ethical fund, would make Ireland less attractive to vulture funds.

Mr McGuinness warned that thousands of people were in danger of losing their homes, if PTSB sold its loan book.

Something drastic and extraordinary must be done, he said, if this was to be prevented.

Mr McGuinness said the finance committee would decide later if it should bring in PTSB to explain what loans are being sold on, what the discount price is and establish why that discount price is not being applied to the individual cases.

The Master's a sound lad, even if he's a right divvil to appear in front of. His brother is the policy wonk though, not him.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 30876
danthefan wrote:
nardol wrote:
Why the political bitching about the sale of bad loans?
If someone can't afford the house they are in.... What the actual fudge are they doing in that house? Specially considering the strong recovery in house prices in the first place.

The reason banks are selling bad loans is because a bad loan that turns good takes a long time to be not calculated as a bad loan for regulatory purposes and for an Irish Bank to get possession of a property on which a bad loan rest is very difficult and that's not even covering the political difficulties (in AIB and PTSB case).


Because it lets them say stuff like VULTURES over and over and over again?


:lol: so true in fairness


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 30876
I see Donnelly is doing a Brexit roadshow - he likes to say Vulture a lot too


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 42473
danthefan wrote:
nardol wrote:
Why the political bitching about the sale of bad loans?
If someone can't afford the house they are in.... What the actual fudge are they doing in that house? Specially considering the strong recovery in house prices in the first place.

The reason banks are selling bad loans is because a bad loan that turns good takes a long time to be not calculated as a bad loan for regulatory purposes and for an Irish Bank to get possession of a property on which a bad loan rest is very difficult and that's not even covering the political difficulties (in AIB and PTSB case).


Because it lets them say stuff like VULTURES over and over and over again?

These are people who took out mortgages and stopped paying them back. Some because they lost their jobs, and couldn't sell without bankrupting themselves, and some, well, because they chose not to repay. What they also have in common is that they either have not engaged with the bank, or have and then reneged again. Many of them will not have made repayments for 8 years + whilst remaining in the property. We all know the legal ramifications of not repaying your mortgage, you lose your house, and owe any balance after a fire sale. These people have, on the whole, been playing silly buggers with the system, an refusing to engage with the bank for that length of time has meant me not having very much sympathy at all. And, most people I'd have thought, who have ever taken out a mortgage and persevered when times were tough, and interest rates at 20% +, would feel similarly.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am
Posts: 13216
camroc1 wrote:
danthefan wrote:
nardol wrote:
Why the political bitching about the sale of bad loans?
If someone can't afford the house they are in.... What the actual fudge are they doing in that house? Specially considering the strong recovery in house prices in the first place.

The reason banks are selling bad loans is because a bad loan that turns good takes a long time to be not calculated as a bad loan for regulatory purposes and for an Irish Bank to get possession of a property on which a bad loan rest is very difficult and that's not even covering the political difficulties (in AIB and PTSB case).


Because it lets them say stuff like VULTURES over and over and over again?

These are people who took out mortgages and stopped paying them back. Some because they lost their jobs, and couldn't sell without bankrupting themselves, and some, well, because they chose not to repay. What they also have in common is that they either have not engaged with the bank, or have and then reneged again. Many of them will not have made repayments for 8 years + whilst remaining in the property. We all know the legal ramifications of not repaying your mortgage, you lose your house, and owe any balance after a fire sale. These people have, on the whole, been playing silly buggers with the system, an refusing to engage with the bank for that length of time has meant me not having very much sympathy at all. And, most people I'd have thought, who have ever taken out a mortgage and persevered when times were tough, and interest rates at 20% +, would feel similarly.



There are 14,000 mortgages in the sale.

Relax on the sweeping generalisations.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21376
My understanding from the IT was that this particular tranche was largely full of people who had "failed to engage."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am
Posts: 13216
We don't know anything about what is or isn't in the tranche.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 42473
Mullet 2 wrote:
We don't know anything about what is or isn't in the tranche.

Yes we do, unless you are accusing PTSB of lying. From the IT :

Quote:
Private homes make up over 75% of PTSB’s €3.7bn Project Glas portfolio
Bank says that, on average, loans are three and a half years in arrears
about 22 hours ago
Charlie Taylor
PTSB said many of these loans are owned by customers who have not engaged with the banks, whose mortgages are unsustainable, or who have been unable to meet terms


Private homes account for more than three-quarters of Project Glas, the controversial €3.7billion property portfolio being put up for sale by Permanent TSB.

The bank said many of the affected loans were with customers who had not engaged with PTSB in a number of years.

“Some account holders have not engaged with the bank for over seven years and, on average, the loans are over 3.5 years in arrears,” PTSB said in a statement. “Many have made no payments at all for years.”

The decision to sell off the non-performing loans has come under fire over concerns that they could be sold to so-called “vulture funds”, many of which are not regulated in the Republic.

The bank said on Tuesday that 14,000 of the 18,000 properties included in Project Glas are private homes. It said the total face value of all loans included in Project Glas is approximately €3.7 billion, of which about €2.7 billion relates to private residences.


PTSB said that €2 billion of these loans are owned by customers who have not engaged with the banks, whose mortgages are unsustainable, or who have been unable to meet terms.

The bank added that some loans are also currently subject to agreed forbearance measures, but remain categorised as non-performing loans.

“It is important to note that, in preparing this loan book for sale, the bank did exclude a significant number of customers who will be resolved through other means,” it said.

The overall size of the planned sales is equivalent to almost a fifth of the bank’s current total loan book. About €1 billion in non-performing loans included in Project Glas relate to investment properties.

PTSB last week announced the proposed sale of the portfolio. It said it is not alone among euro zone banks in having to deal with non-performing loans.


“The bank believes that now is an appropriate time to implement measures that are considered part of normal banking practices in the UK and other European countries,” it said.

It added that a failure to deal with non-performing loans impacted on a new generation of home buyers who “need to be able to engage with healthy, competitive banks who can finance and purchase homes”.

“The banks themselves need to ensure they are strong, profitable and capable of withstanding potential future shocks,” the bank concluded.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:51 pm
Posts: 13202
Mullet 2 wrote:
We don't know anything about what is or isn't in the tranche.

It's being reported as a portfolio of no performing private home loans. What else would it be?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47562 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1026, 1027, 1028, 1029, 1030, 1031, 1032 ... 1190  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], clementinfrance, Fangle, frillage, Google Adsense [Bot], iarmhiman, mr flaps, my 2 cents, Raggs, Salient, Santa, sockwithaticket, The Man Without Fear, Tussock and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group