Chat Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1246, 1247, 1248, 1249, 1250, 1251, 1252 ... 1266  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:51 pm 

Lads who actually wants the DUP in this jurisdiction? Besides all the messing who really wants that. The lads on here Winnie and Willie and Earl look arw probably the sorts that would get over it but the DUP are toxic. I don't think that circle can be squared. Would you all vote yes?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:39 pm 

EverReady wrote:
Lads who actually wants the DUP in this jurisdiction? Besides all the messing who really wants that. The lads on here Winnie and Willie and Earl look arw probably the sorts that would get over it but the DUP are toxic. I don't think that circle can be squared. Would you all vote yes?

I would much prefer NI to be part of the UK and in the EU.

Depending on what happens with Brexit, I think I'd have to vote yes if it meant throwing NI and the border counties under a bus otherwise.

But I don't disagree with you about their politicians.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:45 pm 

They're as mad as a box of frogs but I'd vote yes.

A situation where they vote yes and we don't just seems wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:50 pm 

I'd vote yes.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:03 pm 

There's definitely an argument we've already got too many loo-laas bhut I think I'd vot yes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:03 pm 

Heart would likely win over head and I'd vote yes. Id also sign up as a garda so i can crack some fùcking Hun skulls with impunity

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:08 pm 

It would hurt a lot and be a pain in the arse... I would however vote yes.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:13 pm 

I'll let you guess.........

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:19 pm 

danthefan wrote:

Yeah, nah ..... I’ll be voting NO

Basket case of a statelet ..... economically, ‘culturally’ and politically ..... it’s beyond fixing in the short to medium term so why would the south inflict that burden on itself?

If Britain cuts them loose, best thing would be for an independent NI, forcing them off subsidies

After a generation or two, they’ll decide themselves (both loyalist and republican), that they need to hitch their wagon to RoI, and it’s at that point (2050 onwards) when we can begin a dialogue

I’d have a different attitude if the moderates on both sides were in charge up there, but they’re not ..... and the only people to blame for that are the NI electorate themselves.

Never mind the DUP and their loonies, anyone in RoI who thinks having an extra 400,000 Sinn Fein scumbag voters on the electoral register is a good idea, needs to have a stern chat with themselves

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:45 pm 

rfurlong wrote:
danthefan wrote:

Basket case of a statelet ..... economically, ‘culturally’ and politically ..... it’s beyond fixing in the short to medium term so why would the south inflict that burden on itself?

If Britain cuts them loose, best thing would be for an independent NI, forcing them off subsidies

After a generation or two, they’ll decide themselves (both loyalist and republican), that they need to hitch their wagon to RoI, and it’s at that point (2050 onwards) when we can begin a dialogue

I’d have a different attitude if the moderates on both sides were in charge up there, but they’re not ..... and the only people to blame for that are the NI electorate themselves.

Never mind the DUP and their loonies, anyone in RoI who thinks having an extra 400,000 Sinn Fein scumbag voters on the electoral register is a good idea, needs to have a stern chat with themselves

So bring them to their knees and make them beg?

Sorry, nah.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:59 pm 

Once there;s a UI the shinners raison d'etre will cease to exist. There will always be a small rump of true believers measuring everything by the proclamation, and the actions of the first Dáil, but many many supporters will dissipate to other parties, as will most unionists.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:56 am 

EverReady wrote:
Would you all vote yes?

I'd vote yes if we could insist that the Shinners boycott the Dail. It'd be almost worth having Sammy & Arlene stuck powerlessly in the corner to keep Mary Loud quiet.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:29 am 

camroc1 wrote:
Once there;s a UI the shinners raison d'etre will cease to exist. There will always be a small rump of true believers measuring everything by the proclamation, and the actions of the first Dáil, but many many supporters will dissipate to other parties, as will most unionists.

You think their growth over the last couple of general elections is on the back of a desire for a UI? Because I don't really.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:31 am 

Boxcar Ira wrote:
Club Sarah as a kids play area is the toughest for me to adjust to. Bumping in to the moms you used to be chatting up there and dads you used to fight outside

This is a very sad illustration of just how small Dublin really is.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:35 am 

EverReady wrote:

What would be the point of the DUP in a United Ireland?
The point of them now is that they are the largest party and use that muscle to stall the ball on everything else. In a United Ireland, they'd have a pretty small portion of the vote and would be as toxic as SF for coalition arithmetic.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:13 am 

rfurlong wrote:
danthefan wrote:

And it would be a NO from me also.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:35 am 

I've gone Donegal when it comes to referendums

So I'd vote no

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:36 am 

Uncle Fester wrote:
Boxcar Ira wrote:
Club Sarah as a kids play area is the toughest for me to adjust to. Bumping in to the moms you used to be chatting up there and dads you used to fight outside

Yeah, knowing people is shit :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:37 am 

Uncle Fester wrote:
Boxcar Ira wrote:

It's the same out my direction. There's several kids in my daughter's class whose parents were in school with my wife!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:04 am 

Uncle Fester wrote:
Boxcar Ira wrote:

What :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:35 am 

It’s the quintessential King Ditch post - pointless, begrudging and most of all, completely wrong

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:36 am 

Uncle Fester wrote:
Boxcar Ira wrote:

Why is that sad?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:39 am 

danthefan wrote:
camroc1 wrote:

You think their growth over the last couple of general elections is on the back of a desire for a UI? Because I don't really.

I don't think their growth is off that alright but it's still their main driving force. It's hard to know if a UI will be seen as vindication of their 'politics' over the years or whether it will make it easier to target them for what they are, terrorist apologists.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:41 am 

I love the fact that I live in a community where we know each other and where people will help each other out whether that's standing in a gap while my neighbour moves his cattle or walking into the local and meeting people without having to arrange it beforehand.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:42 am 

It is still the bedrock of their appeal.

Because no other Party will touch them they are free to stay "pure" in the eyes of your average West Dublin spa. So they get the type that own Wolfe Tones CDs and Celtic jerseys and the type of person who thinks potable water is free.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:56 am 

A no vote here FWIW.

Two independent states within a wider European construct suits me just fine and dandy. Let such angst as needs be, be directed at the future nature of that wider construct.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:56 am 

I'm on the fence for the moment.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:01 am 

redderneck wrote:
A no vote here FWIW.

Two independent states within a wider European construct suits me just fine and dandy. Let such angst as needs be, be directed at the future nature of that wider construct.

NI wouldn't get within an asses roar of the EU as an independent state. Their only chance would be as part of the Brexit deal.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:03 am 

redderneck wrote:
A no vote here FWIW.

West Brit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:13 am 

camroc1 wrote:

Are you nuts?

They a populist, protest, anti-establishment, opposition party. In this day and age of blaming the sitting government for everything and not having to make any decisions from a position of responsibility, they'll continue to grow.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:17 am 

Mullet 2 wrote:
redderneck wrote:
A no vote here FWIW.

West Brit

You're fierce fond of your labels all the same. You can always tell a fella who spent his formative years wielding a sticker gun, roaming the badlands between aisles three and four.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:30 am 

The BBC version of "Reeling in the Years" was on 1987 last night. Over 100 people were killed in the Troubles that year including 11 in Enniskillen and 9 at Loughall. There is a real risk of returning to that if a hard border exists. Someone said that Nationalists can pretend that they are in a united Ireland with no border, Irish passports and supporting the Irish teams. A hard border changes all that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:49 am 

Liathroidigloine wrote:
The BBC version of "Reeling in the Years" was on 1987 last night. Over 100 people were killed in the Troubles that year including 11 in Enniskillen and 9 at Loughall. There is a real risk of returning to that if a hard border exists. Someone said that Nationalists can pretend that they are in a united Ireland with no border, Irish passports and supporting the Irish teams. A hard border changes all that.

Exactly. And a UI opens up issues on the other side.

F**king Brits.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:00 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
camroc1 wrote:

Are you nuts?

They a populist, protest, anti-establishment, opposition party. In this day and age of blaming the sitting government for everything and not having to make any decisions from a position of responsibility, they'll continue to grow.

And SF will just be another amongst a plethora of such leftie bollox parties once you take away its quest for the Holy Grail. Once that's achieved, the religious aspect of the party disappears up its own arse.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:13 pm 

ZappaMan wrote:
Boxcar Ira wrote:
The one in Kenmare was my favourite. Surprised nobody died walking "over" the bridge

Pearse Hall in Castlegregory was glorious. The kind of place that still played Amhrán na bhFiann at the end of an evening.

holy fcuk Zappa - i remember summer holiday discos in there aged about 14 haggling with the bouncers to let me in for last hour for 75p.....real ballroom of romance stuff, all the lads up in front of dj headbanging to Paranoid, BlackSabbath and whole lotta rosie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:16 pm 

redderneck wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
redderneck wrote:
A no vote here FWIW.

West Brit

You're fierce fond of your labels all the same. You can always tell a fella who spent his formative years wielding a sticker gun, roaming the badlands between aisles three and four.

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:34 pm 

TBF, shame more youngsters aren't working part time and earning an honest few quid for themselves rather than swanning about on parents coin in a self indulgent comfortzone.

Feck all wrong with hard work.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:51 pm 

That's right

Worked from 15 and not on some shit stinking farm with an uncle who wasn't to be trusted alone like you Munster types.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:52 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
That's right

Worked from 15 and not on some shit stinking farm with an uncle who wasn't to be trusted alone like you Munster types.

Never knew the love of an extended family?

So sad.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:19 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
camroc1 wrote:

Are you nuts?

And SF will just be another amongst a plethora of such leftie bollox parties once you take away its quest for the Holy Grail. Once that's achieved, the religious aspect of the party disappears up its own arse.

Sinn Fein pick up a lot of votes down my way for vigilante action. Troublesome tenant in your buy-to-let? Tinkers parked on your land? Call Martin Ferris' office. The tenant will be gone within 24 hours but you now owe SF a favour. To collect, SF will visit you at every future election and you'll go out canvassing for them in your neighbourhood lending whatever credibility you have to them. This is how they work their way in. Very cosa nostra, very effective. They are very vocal and supportive of small local projects, it costs them nothing and the established parties have gotten too complacent to bother with this small stuff. I see it happening in my own parish. Regardless of the outcome regarding unification or otherwise, these pricks are going nowhere.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1246, 1247, 1248, 1249, 1250, 1251, 1252 ... 1266  Next