Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53739 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1301, 1302, 1303, 1304, 1305, 1306, 1307 ... 1344  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:27 pm 

Gauss wrote:
RTÉ did a vox pop on the nurses this morning and couldn’t find one person against them funnily enough :lol:

Yes quite amazing that RTSiptu are massively biased towards the nurses. This strike is a f**king disgrace

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:33 pm 

Never mind the whole Brexit thing lads.

Give out the cash

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:39 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:
Gauss wrote:
RTÉ did a vox pop on the nurses this morning and couldn’t find one person against them funnily enough :lol:

Yes quite amazing that RTSiptu are massively biased towards the nurses. This strike is a f**king disgrace

Oh I agree with you. It was a comment on RTÉ rather than on the nurses.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:03 pm 

To be honest, I don't think you're going to find many people who'd actually go to town on the nurses publicly.

I'd find it hard to voice my problem with the issue in a short snippet without looking like an arsehole. I have great admiration for the work they do but it's another money growing on trees situation. We can't appease everyone who comes looking for money.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:09 pm 

CM11 wrote:
To be honest, I don't think you're going to find many people who'd actually go to town on the nurses publicly.

I'd find it hard to voice my problem with the issue in a short snippet without looking like an arsehole. I have great admiration for the work they do but it's another money growing on trees situation. We can't appease everyone who comes looking for money.

"pay rises at a time of economic uncertainty is madness"

You're welcome.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:10 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
CM11 wrote:

You're welcome.

Yup. TBF, that's the line. It should be beaten into them.

The pols, not the nurses.

Yet.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:10 pm 

Give it time or a change in circumstances.
A few years ago, there was a lot of sympathy for mortgage arrears cases but now that wheel has turned completely.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:15 pm 

Uncle Fester wrote:
Give it time or a change in circumstances.
A few years ago, there was a lot of sympathy for mortgage arrears cases but now that wheel has turned completely.

Best way to fight a strike is to wait it out for a few years alright.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:22 pm 

I was responding to stats but you fellas type too fast.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:28 pm 

Fairly sure that if you train as a doctor in the UK, then you've to stay in the NHS for a certain amount of time.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:50 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
CM11 wrote:

You're welcome.

It's a bit bland and doesn't cover the overall issue but it's better than nothing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:54 pm 

CM11 wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
CM11 wrote:

You're welcome.

It's a bit bland and doesn't cover the overall issue but it's better than nothing.

Throw in layabouts then

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:35 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
CM11 wrote:

You're welcome.

Throw in layabouts then

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:23 pm 

Just watching RTE there on my break. The INMO couldn’t have paid for better advertising. Some gems from the afternoon show: we should give the nurses whatever they’re asking for, our hospitals are horribly understaffed with nurses, the nurses don’t strike unless their situation is dire, all of the public is supporting the nurses. Oh and a live broadcast to the INMO shop steward in UCC hospital. You literally couldn’t make it up. RTE need their wings clipped.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:52 pm 

Has there ever been much appetite in the media for tackling the issue of how woeful the organisation of the HSE is?
Throwing money at the latest issue doesn't address the root cause, just briefly hides the symptoms. You'd think medical staff would go for that angle.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:19 pm 

The INMO just want money - the rest is complete bollox

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:35 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:
The INMO just want money - the rest is complete bollox

Correct.

Just like the GPs rattling their stethoscopes yesterday want more guaranteed state money whilst retaining the ability to charge the half the population that don't have a medical card up to € 100 per consultation.

And as for the consultants, they're the most voracious of the lot where it comes to hoovering up a state salary as the basis for setting up a privare practice.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:02 pm 

Nurses comparing their struggle with that of Rosa Parks. I kid you not.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:21 pm 

I see the German health service are advertising in the UK, to entice polish nurses to leave the NHS on foot of brexit

Surely this is something the HSE could easily do ..... and pull the rug out from under the recruitment and retention red herring?

In other news I see “health protestors” outside the house of Simon Harris and his wife and 8 week old baby ...... gardai were called ..... and i hope they batoned the pricks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:35 pm 

One of the Collison bros was on with Tim Ferriss recently and I listened today, something else altogether.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:26 pm 

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/intel-prepared-to-invest-8bn-in-new-leixlip-development-1.3787348

Biggest investment in the history of the state, this one is off the scale

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:43 pm 

sewa wrote:

Some tasty numbers in there.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:58 pm 

Just thinking that those protestors outside Harris' home have probably done him a favour. He might ride this out yet.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:39 am 

Government folded again

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:20 am 

HSE refused offer from the Ronald McDonald Foundation to fully build the family accommodation at the Children's Hospital because the naming would set a bad example apparently.

Another 10 million sure, it's only taxpayers money.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:25 am 

I do have a slight problem with McDonald's getting such strong advertising directed at kids but they do good work by all accounts.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:30 am 

Mullet 2 wrote:
Government folded again

What I'd give for a Government with a pair of balls between them. FF would be no better so it's Hobsons choice.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:31 am 

CM11 wrote:
I do have a slight problem with McDonald's getting such strong advertising directed at kids but they do good work by all accounts.

Many kids swayed into wanting a burger because parents of sick kids get to stay near by do you think?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:31 am 

Liathroidigloine wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
Government folded again

What I'd give for a Government with a pair of balls between them. FF would be no better so it's Hobsons choice.

Yep

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:51 am 

Boxcar Ira wrote:
sewa wrote:

Thank fudge for our American friends. Go fudge yourself Vestager - the Germans want her out now too after she blocked their railway deal with the French

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:02 am 

rfurlong wrote:
we should bring in legislation that forces newly qualified and expensively trained nurses (or any PS workers), who electively turn down a job in Ireland to take higher pay in UAE or elsewhere, to immediately begin paying back a portion of the cost of their taxpayer funded education.

This should be a stipulation of their entry into a nursing/teaching/whatever degree programme.

With this kind of terms and conditions in place, the argument that the Irish domiciled nurses are worse off, would fall away immediately.

Otherwise Irish taxpayers are funding a system that incentivises the public sector beneficiaries of our tax-funded subsidised education model, to continually agitate for more money ..... on the sole basis that the grass is always greener somewhere else.

That is no way to run the public sector.

If PS nurses don't like their situation (that they signed up to with eyes wide open), then join an agency or leave the country ...... just don't pretend that the ones who stay in situ are being somehow deceived or treated in bad faith.

I and lots of others in Ireland could get better paid if we went to a competitor abroad ...... but expecting my employer to do anything about that in pay terms, would be delusional.

The nurses going abroad thing is the biggest red herring.

Nurses go abroad for cash yes, but so do loads of other professionals, so what? Nurses also go abroad because many of them are 22 coming out of college with a qualification that is immediately usable overseas. Why wouldn't you?

In comparison; accountants spend another 3 plus years before being able to call themselves an accountant.
Finance workers need to pass CFAs (or accounting exams) to have good credibility which will take a year or so.
Solicitors spend similar.
Barristers longer (and not as usable).
Architects spend years qualifying.
IT/Software development and Engineering take a few years of earning your stripes.

Nurses meanwhile are ready to go. Teachers are similar - but the big difference is that their qualification is often very restricted.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:04 am 

Blackrock Bullet wrote:
rfurlong wrote:
we should bring in legislation that forces newly qualified and expensively trained nurses (or any PS workers), who electively turn down a job in Ireland to take higher pay in UAE or elsewhere, to immediately begin paying back a portion of the cost of their taxpayer funded education.

This should be a stipulation of their entry into a nursing/teaching/whatever degree programme.

With this kind of terms and conditions in place, the argument that the Irish domiciled nurses are worse off, would fall away immediately.

Otherwise Irish taxpayers are funding a system that incentivises the public sector beneficiaries of our tax-funded subsidised education model, to continually agitate for more money ..... on the sole basis that the grass is always greener somewhere else.

If PS nurses don't like their situation (that they signed up to with eyes wide open), then join an agency or leave the country ...... just don't pretend that the ones who stay in situ are being somehow deceived or treated in bad faith.

I and lots of others in Ireland could get better paid if we went to a competitor abroad ...... but expecting my employer to do anything about that in pay terms, would be delusional.

Nurses go abroad for cash yes, but so do loads of other professionals, so what? Nurses also go abroad because many of them are 22 coming out of college with a qualification that is immediately usable overseas. Why wouldn't you?

In comparison; accountants spend another 3 plus years before being able to call themselves an accountant.
Finance workers need to pass CFAs (or accounting exams) to have good credibility which will take a year or so.
IT/Software development and Engineering take a few years of earning your stripes.

Nurses meanwhile are ready to go. Teachers are similar - but the big difference is that their qualification is often very restricted.

Four year Maths and Physics based undergraduate degree followed by 4/5 years experience before you can even apply for your professional interview to become Chartered.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:05 am 

Mullet 2 wrote:
HSE refused offer from the Ronald McDonald Foundation to fully build the family accommodation at the Children's Hospital because the naming would set a bad example apparently.

Another 10 million sure, it's only taxpayers money.

Such a load of nonsense.

The muck that they serve up in public hospitals is just as bad as McDonalds.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:06 am 

camroc1 wrote:
Blackrock Bullet wrote:
rfurlong wrote:

Four year Maths and Physics based undergraduate degree followed by 4/5 years experience before you can even apply for your professional interview to become Chartered.

Yes that's what I mean. You're talking 25/26 at the earliest before you've a decent pedigree.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:34 am 

Blackrock Bullet wrote:
rfurlong wrote:

Very easy to cross-qualify and go abroad as a solicitor. Gives you an advantage getting a litigation role at the cost of falling behind in M&A, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:00 pm 

Quality after 4 year degree course aged 22. Guaranteed job available upon qualification. Unionised work practices with very generous work breaks, annual leave, incremental pay scale that is not dependent on performance. Government pension. Ample opportunity to upskill and further education. Salaries higher than in the UK. Pay rise due next year.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:05 pm 

All about patient safety.

How can you win Duff? The media reported the strike as Mother Theresa vs The Empire from Star Wars.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:06 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
All about patient safety.

How can you win Duff? The media reported the strike as Mother Theresa vs The Empire from Star Wars.

It was just like Rosa Parks, standing up to the man.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:29 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:
Quality after 4 year degree course aged 22. Guaranteed job available upon qualification. Unionised work practices with very generous work breaks, annual leave, incremental pay scale that is not dependent on performance. Government pension. Ample opportunity to upskill and further education. Salaries higher than in the UK. Pay rise due next year.

Pension that money can't buy.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:36 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:
Boxcar Ira wrote:
sewa wrote:

Thank fudge for our American friends. Go fudge yourself Vestager - the Germans want her out now too after she blocked their railway deal with the French

:thumbup: Fúcking A

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53739 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1301, 1302, 1303, 1304, 1305, 1306, 1307 ... 1344  Next