Chat Forum
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55880 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1367, 1368, 1369, 1370, 1371, 1372, 1373 ... 1397  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:56 pm 

Limerickman wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:
The real issue is that pretty much everybody has to live in Dublin if they want a job.

That's the big change. My parents had friends who were able to buy gaffs pretty much out of college down the country.

Wtf? Limerick, Cork and Galway are full of jobs atm. Anyone not working in any of those places is choosing to not work in certain areas. Limerick's unemployment rate is back to where it was in 2007 or so, more or less full employment, except for places with multi-generational entrenched unemployment.

Housing is nigh on unaffordable in Cork City centre. The two bed apartment I rented in 2013 for €800 was last listed for €1500. A friend, in larger two bed was told their rent, in 2014 was to go from €1000 to €1600 or they could move out.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:57 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:
Realistically cammy the solution is to get away from the house ownership obsession/model to a continental style system of liveable apartments and legislative protection for lifelong rental

Why on earth would anyone even want to sign up for a lifetime lease ?

I 'd have thought that a variety of leases, from 6 months to seven years would suffice, that are renewable should both parties agree. One of the reasons you don't see leases much longer than a year in Dublin is that essentially tennants can fúck off with the loss of their deposit being the only landlord redress. Yes, you can chase them legally, but that generally costs more money than it's worth.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 6:04 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
Realistically cammy the solution is to get away from the house ownership obsession/model to a continental style system of liveable apartments and legislative protection for lifelong rental

I 'd have thought that a variety of leases, from 6 months to seven years would suffice, that are renewable should both parties agree. One of the reasons you don't see leases much longer than a year in Dublin is that essentially tennants can fúck off with the loss of their deposit being the only landlord redress. Yes, you can chase them legally, but that generally costs more money than it's worth.

I didn’t say lifelong lease

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 6:08 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:

Well explain what you mean by "legislative protection for lifelong rental" then, because that either sounds like a lifetime lease, or an automatic legally binding right to a new lease at the old leases rental.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 6:44 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:

Well explain what you mean by "legislative protection for lifelong rental" then, because that either sounds like a lifetime lease, or an automatic legally binding right to a new lease at the old leases rental.

Come on Cammy I think you already know the difference

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:33 pm 

Listening to this podcast on Dev at the moment it's a few years old so maybe Redredbel for a few of you. Worth a listen, just did episode 4 on the war and neutrality.

https://www.ria.ie/judging-dev-reassessment-life-and-legacy-eamon-de-valera

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:34 pm 

A couple of weeks ago I moaned that Kildare was completely ignored by the MNW candidates and that nobody around me knew anything about them. I still haven't seen a single canvasser.

However, looking at them on Primetime - good jesus what a shower of losers. Mairead McGuinness is the only one who even half seems competent. I think that they sent in a cardboard cutout instead of Brendan Smith, and the rest just seem like dingbats.

It's depressing.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:45 pm 

lilyw wrote:
A couple of weeks ago I moaned that Kildare was completely ignored by the MNW candidates and that nobody around me knew anything about them. I still haven't seen a single canvasser.

However, looking at them on Primetime - good jesus what a shower of losers. Mairead McGuinness is the only one who even half seems competent. I think that they sent in a cardboard cutout instead of Brendan Smith, and the rest just seem like dingbats.

It's depressing.

I think 1 for McGuinness might be as far as I go.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:49 pm 

Liathroidigloine wrote:
lilyw wrote:

It's depressing.

Give your second to the FG candidate if you want to strengthen the govt.s hand.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:17 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:

There's no market or coherent political constituency for that though. It's all well and good saying you want a long term lease but your needs will probably change over the course of it. Most people idealize a 3 or 4 bed house they own as it should cover there needs into the future when they have kids.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:27 pm 

The solution is 'easy'.

Make rental contracts so that they can only be ended by the party renting. Other than when there is a specific fixed term lease (conditions very restrictive on this).

If the property owner wants to sell the property they have to sell the property with tennant in situ

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:34 pm 

nardol wrote:
The solution is 'easy'.

Make rental contracts so that they can only be ended by the party renting. Other than when there is a specific fixed term lease (conditions very restrictive on this).

If the property owner wants to sell the property they have to sell the property with tennant in situ

Welcome to the new slums. At a stroke you have removed any incentive for landlords to improve or redevelop rental properties.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:36 pm 

nardol wrote:
The solution is 'easy'.

So certain properties become rental only?

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:44 pm 

lilyw wrote:
nardol wrote:
The solution is 'easy'.

Welcome to the new slums. At a stroke you have removed any incentive for landlords to improve or redevelop rental properties.

This.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:53 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:
lilyw wrote:

It's depressing.

Yeah send the fúcking Rose of Tralee to Brussels :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:55 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:
lilyw wrote:

It's depressing.

Why not ?

Lots of FF/FG have been elected TDs simply on the basis they were good at either kicking or pucking a ball.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:57 pm 

Slap yourself

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:51 am 

nardol wrote:
The solution is 'easy'.

This sounds like a horrible idea.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:15 am 

camroc1 wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:
lilyw wrote:

It's depressing.

What is this nonsense supposed to mean?

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:59 am 

lilyw wrote:
nardol wrote:
The solution is 'easy'.

Really?

It's how the Dutch and German rental markets work.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:03 am 

As someone who has worked in the industry I have a lot of time for Barry Andrews. I think he's sounded fairly competent any time I've listened to him. I'll let him away with the Syria bid rigging as I'm not sure that was his fault. Also the ECCE scheme is good. fudge knows who else is getting my vote, perhaps Cuffe. Gannon has been a total let down.

One of the FF local candidates is also the only one who has been around my consitutency - Heney. She helped my missus bring some bags up to the apartment, which was nice but ultimately futile as neither of us are registered here.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:07 am 

nardol wrote:
lilyw wrote:
nardol wrote:
The solution is 'easy'.

Really?

That would be except for the bit in Germany where a landlord can give 3 months' notice. I don't know about the Netherlands.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:15 am 

Mullet 2 wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:
lilyw wrote:

It's depressing.

Exactly. Listening to her pontificate about military spending and trying to use her FCA experience as a reason to validate her opinion was cringeworthy

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:21 am 

nardol wrote:
lilyw wrote:
nardol wrote:
The solution is 'easy'.

Really?

We had a thread on here recently about the rental market in Berlin, it sounds like a disaster. In Germany there are lots of places to live and work though. It's not dominated by a city like Dublin and Ireland. There's massive amounts of industry, multiple cities larger than Dublin, etc. Even if they have some ideal housing situation, we couldn't replicate it.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:45 am 

ehh thats only the case for leases with a fixed term of up to 5 years and even then the owner must prove several criteria - he cant just turf you out.

Its how they create a viable long term rental market.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:47 am 

Berlin's a weird city. Historically it was a huge city a la London, Paris, etc, but the division of the city and the removal of most administrative functions turned it into a provincial city. Since reunification its population has been going up as people return to an obvious source of plentiful, cheap accommodation and things are normalising.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:48 am 

danthefan wrote:
nardol wrote:
lilyw wrote:
nardol wrote:
The solution is 'easy'.

Really?

We had a thread on here recently about the rental market in Berlin, it sounds like a disaster. In Germany there are lots of places to live and work though. It's not dominated by a city like Dublin and Ireland. There's massive amounts of industry, multiple cities larger than Dublin, etc. Even if they have some ideal housing situation, we couldn't replicate it.

No housing model is immune to extreme pressure. Its about creating a viable and FAIR rental market system. In other countries you have systems other than Irelands for profit system - or state provided run at a loss system.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:53 am 

This level of pony never fails to amaze me. European rental model my bollocks. You might as well ask for Italian Weather.

We want to own our own homes and rightly so and as Cam has pointed out the issue is the cost of those homes being artificially inflated by the very Government that is claiming the crises.

And I'll remind those of you lecturing us now on what model to use that when myself and Cam pointed out all this would happen when you were cheering the destruction Construction we were laughed at by the same fellas now imparting their expertise once more.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:54 am 

nardol wrote:
ehh thats only the case for leases with a fixed term of up to 5 years and even then the owner must prove several criteria - he cant just turf you out.

Its how they create a viable long term rental market.

You can't just turf people out in Ireland either.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:23 am 

alliswell wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:
lilyw wrote:

It's depressing.

What is this nonsense supposed to mean?

Why would I want to support this Government? I think they are doing an awful job and are spineless.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:25 am 

And yet you're voting blueshirt 1 in the local and Europeans

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:27 am 

Quote:
We want to own our own homes and rightly so and as Cam has pointed out the issue is the cost of those homes being artificially inflated by the very Government that is claiming the crises.

Classic Fianna Fáil bollox - any reduction in costs for builders will just go into the builder’s back pocket

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:28 am 

Do you have not for profit housing associations in Ireland?

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:31 am 

Duff Paddy wrote:
Quote:

Classic Fianna Fáil bollox - any reduction in costs for builders will just go into the builder’s back pocket

Take Economics 101 horse

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:41 am 

https://www.thejournal.ie/mcdowell-bail ... 7-May2019/

x(

This Bailey thing really looks pathetic.

Not that I'd be encouraging it anyway but surely the only way she'd have a case was if the swings were defective? Supervision? Wtf?

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:46 am 

Mullet 2 wrote:
And yet you're voting blueshirt 1 in the local and Europeans

FG 1 in Europe, FF 1 in the local - I canvassed for him.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:51 am 

camroc1 wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:
lilyw wrote:

It's depressing.

FG, the party for people that get home early

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:05 am 

CM11 wrote:
https://www.thejournal.ie/mcdowell-bailey-seanad-4646227-May2019/

x(

This Bailey thing really looks pathetic.

Not that I'd be encouraging it anyway but surely the only way she'd have a case was if the swings were defective? Supervision? Wtf?

They have her on camera holding things in both hands whilst snotting herself on the swing. The fact that this even made it as far as the court is frightening but that is the crazy world of compo culture that we have allowed to develop in this country. It’s absolutely pathetic, even more so for a holder of public office. She deserves to get absolutely slaughtered in the next election over this.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:08 am 

Madigan's Ambulance chasing brother

"There was no sign instructing full grown adults to hold on with both hands"

Judge

"€70,000!!"

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:10 am 

Looks like she was just shy of making the Olympic team before this horrific accident that ruined her life, all caused by a negligent swing

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55880 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1367, 1368, 1369, 1370, 1371, 1372, 1373 ... 1397  Next