Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1373, 1374, 1375, 1376, 1377, 1378, 1379 ... 1480  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 11:37 am 

Mullet 2 wrote:
alliswell wrote:
nardol wrote:

I'll still probably vote for them in the next general election :?

I'm sure you'll try but that's no guarantee.

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 11:45 am 

If you look at the last two general elections, the last Euro elections and these elections, in each case the sum of the Labout, SF, Soc Dem and Green votes is ~30%. I'm not sure these parties aren't just swapping voters every few years.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 11:47 am 

Were seeing the power of the young vote in Dublin.

Were worried about Brexit.

They're worried about climate change and in the last few weeks with the help of that Greta girl from Sweden, that movement has gained momentum

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 12:01 pm 

Young people are retards

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 12:08 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
Young people are retards

We are to them what the Tory pensioners are to the UK remainers

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 12:10 pm 

alliswell wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
This is a shitshow.

Need to stop letting our kids grow up to be little hippy cúnts

It's great. :thumbup:

:thumbup:
FF made a balls of mnw by candidate selection
FG had a banker in McGuinness but fell into the trap of selecting a second candidate who looks like an absolute lightweight and had all the worst traits of an increasingly unpopular leader. Meanwhile that Green lady looks like she would batter the head of you and that is both sexy and electable.

I reckon that the Greens are also a fairly safe bet for a non-establishment vote for fairly centrally aligned voters. Not FF or FG. They're a bit left, sure, but they're not PBP or AAA or whatever.
Plus, people do seem to care about green issues a little.

Mind you, the stars are aligning for another FF/Green coalition when FG get the shit kicked out of them in the next GE, which means that the shit is due to hit the fan again.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 12:12 pm 

EverReady wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
alliswell wrote:
nardol wrote:

Would sir like his chicken dinner in a basket or in a bap?

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 12:22 pm 

alliswell wrote:
nardol wrote:

Excellent :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 12:37 pm 

Chapeau alliswell ..... that was brilliant :lol:

I’m delighted to see the Greens doing well .... mostly because the hard left are losing their minds over it ..... Paul Murphy’s Twitter this AM is like that Monty python scene about splitters :lol: :lol:

I gave cuffe a second pref once it was obvious durkan had no chance ..... would absolutely love to see the greens replacing the fvcking independent alliance in the next government ..... preferably with FG

It’s genuinely satisfying to see that while the Irish electorate will flirt with the hard left lunatics, they will never put them into power.

Mary Lou and the shinner scumbags are toast long term, mostly thanks to FG getting unemployment down to 4% from 15% ..... the hard left have nothing if they don’t have public anger

just beautiful to see them on the slide

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 12:40 pm 

Surely FG are out on their ear after the next GE?
There's a hugely toxic narrative surrounding them in public discourse (without commenting on the validity/accuracy of the various opinions).

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 12:47 pm 

Taoiseach Paschal leading a glorious Fine Green alliance would do grand.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 12:55 pm 

I see Bailey ran a 10k race 3 weeks after the catastrophe on the swing. So brave!

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/td-bailey-ran-10km-race-three-weeks-after-swing-fall-38146778.html

Court papers say she couldn’t run for 3 weeks

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 1:00 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
This is a shitshow.

Need to stop letting our kids grow up to be little hippy cúnts

Don’t give them a preference FFS.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 1:04 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
There's a hugely toxic narrative surrounding them in public discourse (without commenting on the validity/accuracy of the various opinions).

You need to get out of that echo chamber ....

While FG are currently making a hames out of everything from broadband to the children’s hospital, they will get plenty of kudos for turning the economy around, while the alternatives to FG have no real answers to things like housing and health either

FF - does anyone REALLY think they’ll be better with the public finances?
SF - there’s still not enough people comfortable voting for murderers
Labour - still fvcked
Soc Dems - joke party
Greens - natural bedfellows for next FG-led government
PBP and assorted loonies - seriously?
Independents - an utter rabble of gombeens and shysters

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 1:05 pm 

paddyor wrote:
I see Bailey ran a 10k race 3 weeks after the catastrophe on the swing. So brave!

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/td-bailey-ran-10km-race-three-weeks-after-swing-fall-38146778.html

Court papers say she couldn’t run for 3 weeks

:lol: :lol: :lol:

She’ll be forced to withdraw her case on that basis ..... and hopefully varadkar will kick her out of the party

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 1:23 pm 

rfurlong wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

While FG are currently making a hames out of everything from broadband to the children’s hospital, they will get plenty of kudos for turning the economy around, while the alternatives to FG have no real answers to things like housing and health either

I fear that of this conversation, I'm not the one with his head in an echo chamber. Note that I didn't actually make any judgement on the toxic public narrative.
I don't agree that FG are completely at fault for all the bad stuff at the moment. I also think that, on balance, they're probably the best party to lead the government.

They have had a bit of a shit show in the last number of months though, and I fear that problems dominate any discourse around politics, rather than viable solutions. Meaning that whoever presides over a problem takes the blame, but alternatives don't have to actually suggest properly workable solutions, just get some decent populist soundbites.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 1:25 pm 

Despite being a complete f**king rag I'll doff my cap to the Indo for their work here. Incredibly detailed hatchet job

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/td-bailey-ran-10km-race-three-weeks-after-swing-fall-38146778.html

Hopefully both the court and the insurer go after her for fraudulent statements and claims.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 1:32 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
rfurlong wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

I fear that of this conversation, I'm not the one with his head in an echo chamber. Note that I didn't actually make any judgement on the toxic public narrative.
I don't agree that FG are completely at fault for all the bad stuff at the moment. I also think that, on balance, they're probably the best party to lead the government.

They have had a bit of a shit show in the last number of months though, and I fear that problems dominate any discourse around politics, rather than viable solutions. Meaning that whoever presides over a problem takes the blame, but alternatives don't have to actually suggest properly workable solutions, just get some decent populist soundbites.

Look, I agree with you ..... I just don’t think the noise/outrage/media angst out there, is going to feed into the next GE results

The narrative you speak of is driven by the likes of RTÉ and the Irish Times ..... and as such is not representative of Irish public opinion in a time of full employment

The most interesting question/answer in the RTÉ exit poll, showed that two thirds of country believe in and accept market forces as the appropriate ‘tiller’ for the country’s future direction ...... and its no surprise that RTÉ has chosen not to mention it :lol:

That’s the echo chamber I’m talking about

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 1:46 pm 

rfurlong wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
rfurlong wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Look, I agree with you ..... I just don’t think the noise/outrage/media angst out there, is going to feed into the next GE results

The narrative you speak of is driven by the likes of RTÉ and the Irish Times ..... and as such is not representative of Irish public opinion in a time of full employment

The most interesting question/answer in the RTÉ exit poll, showed that two thirds of country believe in and accept market forces as the appropriate ‘tiller’ for the country’s future direction ...... and its no surprise that RTÉ has chosen not to mention it :lol:

That’s the echo chamber I’m talking about

Maybe I'm just a bit pessimistic, but a lot of the "young" vote seems overwhelmingly negative around FG.
The utterly tone deaf suggestions that people should flat share long term etc really doesn't help.

Granted, I fully accept that the loudest on Twitter (for example) are not necessarily representative of everyone, they're just the most noticeable.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 2:16 pm 

The co-living ‘outrage’ is a perfect example of the disconnect between this current ‘narrative’ and reality

Firstly, it’s a private company proposing the scheme not the government

Secondly, it’s a common mode of accommodation throughout Europe, yet in the Irish media you’d swear it’s an assault on peoples human rights

Voters are particularly stupid in Ireland, but they’re still not as stupid as the left in this country would like them to be

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 2:29 pm 

It's part of the overall solution, yes. But the housing crisis that is impacting most are people who are past the stage of flat sharing, it's people that are looking to settle down in their late 20s and 30s. Shared accomodation does little for them.

It also supports the narrative of lowering standards instead of building more.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 2:40 pm 

Who is suggesting long term flat share?

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 2:45 pm 

CM11 wrote:
Who is suggesting long term flat share?

Don’t be introducing facts here statto ..... Gen Bilroy from Utrecht says co-living is bad and that’s the end of it, right?

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 2:45 pm 

nardol wrote:
It's part of the overall solution, yes. But the housing crisis that is impacting most are people who are past the stage of flat sharing, it's people that are looking to settle down in their late 20s and 30s. Shared accomodation does little for them.

It also supports the narrative of lowering standards instead of building more.

More supply helps everyone.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 2:52 pm 

rfurlong wrote:
The co-living ‘outrage’ is a perfect example of the disconnect between this current ‘narrative’ and reality

Secondly, it’s a common mode of accommodation throughout Europe, yet in the Irish media you’d swear it’s an assault on peoples human rights

Voters are particularly stupid in Ireland, but they’re still not as stupid as the left in this country would like them to be

Don't get me wrong, co-living is perfectly acceptable. I did for a few years when I finally moved out. Having it as actual government policy (or appearing to be, at least) to have co-living/shared accommodation for people who should be able to be independent by design is a terrible message, though.
Be better to incentivise building and speed up the whole process of planning/building regs. Just get some decent buildings up. Seems to be happening, but so slowly.

Last edited by Nolanator on Sat May 25, 2019 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 2:52 pm 

Co-living provides more flexibility, offering daily, monthly and longer-term lease choices for renters.

For those who are traveling in and out of Dublin, a bed can be rented for months at a time without the need to buy any furniture or pay utilities. International student visitors to Dublin looking to obtain short-term housing solution and study in an unfamiliar city, for example, will likely jump at the ability to pay a few thousand for an entire summer compared to a few hundred nightly at a hotel.

Millennials in particular (the very cohort that the left wing outrage seems to be on behalf of) will likely show less interest in having a mortgage-laden apartment in the burbs, and will instead place more stock in having proximity to trendier, more central locations with affordable pricing, making co-living that much more appealing.

The people moaning about this co-living phenomenon are simply clueless or agenda driven

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 2:56 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
rfurlong wrote:

Don't get me wrong, co-living is perfectly acceptable. I did for a few years when I finally moved out. Having it as actual government policy (or appearing to be, at least) to have co-living/shared accommodation for people who should be able to be independent by design is a terrible message, though.
Be better to incentivise building and speed up the whole process of planning/building regs. Just get some decent buildings up. Seems to be happening, but so slowly.

Ah Nols ..... co-living is not government policy ffs

It is however an essential part of the mix, along with student accommodation, build to rent, social housing etc ..... just like in every other western democracy

Of all the things FG are getting wrong right now, welcoming co-living is not one of them

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 2:59 pm 

I think some people are missing that the co living idea will free up a decent amount of accommodation. They're saying 'we don't need basic bedsits, we need houses/apartments!!' when the reality is that the reason we are short of houses and apartments is because they're full of people who are more suited to the co living idea.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 3:00 pm 

I own an apartment in Mount Brown and rent a room out to a professional for 850 a month.

He commutes from Montpellier and goes home every weekend.

Win win. I get 850 tax free and the place to myself at weekends.

He gets a room below 1000 and is happy with that.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 3:11 pm 

iarmhiman wrote:
I own an apartment in Mount Brown and rent a room out to a professional for 850 a month.

He commutes from Montpellier and goes home every weekend.

Win win. I get 850 tax free and the place to myself at weekends.

He gets a room below 1000 and is happy with that.

Not a green voter then!

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 3:15 pm 

The Dublin tallymen saying

Ciaran Cuffe (1st count)
Frances Fitzgerald
Barry Andrews
Claire Daly

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 3:17 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
EverReady wrote:
They could have gone hard left Mullet. The commies are going fùcking mental online which is very very gratifying. Ruth Coppinger posted up basically 'all the people who voted Green are clueless and stupid and capitalists'

This.

A lot of the Green voters at local level will return to FF/FG when forming a government is at stake.

FF and FG combined barely scrapping a quarter in Dublin for Europe.

This is no flippant matter.

31% in the exit polls, no? Same as Daly/Gannon/Boylan/White combined. What's Higgins? Lump her in there too?

I would see Greens as a centre party so 54% for centrist parties (probably throw Labour in there too, to be honest, so 59%) seems about in line.

Just means the Greens will have more say if that's replicated at national level, wouldn't be too worried yet and we'll wait and see what the final tallies are given the margin of error in the exit polls.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 3:19 pm 

Yeah... Furlong... What percentage of the population do you think have a pied a terre or a requirement for one?
I wouldn't build an election campaign around it.

The bulk of voters work 9-5 and want to come home to their families... In their own house. That's what will win you elections and it's also what's needed.

Student accommodation, rent a room, flat sharing all has its place but it won't win elections as long as the 9-5 brigade (most of us) are pissed at the current situation.

lilyw wrote:
The Dublin tallymen saying

Ciaran Cuffe (1st count)
Frances Fitzgerald
Barry Andrews
Claire Daly

Hopefully not Boylan in 5th. I could just about stomach Daly for that.

nardol wrote:
Yeah... Furlong... What percentage of the population do you think have a pied a terre or a requirement for one?
I wouldn't build an election campaign around it.

The bulk of voters work 9-5 and want to come home to their families... In their own house. That's what will win you elections and it's also what's needed.

Student accommodation, rent a room, flat sharing all has its place but it won't win elections as long as the 9-5 brigade (most of us) are pissed at the current situation.

Quote:
I think some people are missing that the co living idea will free up a decent amount of accommodation. They're saying 'we don't need basic bedsits, we need houses/apartments!!' when the reality is that the reason we are short of houses and apartments is because they're full of people who are more suited to the co living idea.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 3:21 pm 

CM11 wrote:

Who exactly are these people suited to co living? Students and people in their first job? People aged 18-25?

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 3:25 pm 

What's the difference between co living and student accommodation? Is it just extending student accommodation to a later stage? Makes sense but it's probably still cheaper to rent a house with 3/4 mates if the figures I've seen are accurate.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 3:30 pm 

nardol wrote:
CM11 wrote:

Who exactly are these people suited to co living? Students and people in their first job? People aged 18-25?

Primarily, yes.

There are also older single people who it might benefit.

It's being sold as shoebox accommodation but ignores the extra facilities on site that come as part of the deal.

EDIT: From cam earlier in the thread:

Quote:
If you look at the lower ground floor plan on the link I attached you will see that also included is a laundry, Gym (140 sq.m.), games room (80 sq.m.), multipurpose room (110 sq. m.) and a cinema.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 3:32 pm 

Ok apologies for the spam....

Or is co living a way of providing social housing? Govt could rent a room less that it currently pays b&bs for the emergency accomodation?

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 3:32 pm 

Nardol you are contriving a strange argument with yourself here. Co-living will be very popular as it will suit a lot of people. Dublin has a large population of young people working in the city who only plan to stay 3 years or so. I don’t see any problem with it as it will add to the options for young people who want to live in a central location in Dublin but who could not otherwise afford it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1373, 1374, 1375, 1376, 1377, 1378, 1379 ... 1480  Next