Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60426 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1374, 1375, 1376, 1377, 1378, 1379, 1380 ... 1511  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 3:33 pm 

CM11 wrote:
nardol wrote:
CM11 wrote:
I think some people are missing that the co living idea will free up a decent amount of accommodation. They're saying 'we don't need basic bedsits, we need houses/apartments!!' when the reality is that the reason we are short of houses and apartments is because they're full of people who are more suited to the co living idea.

Who exactly are these people suited to co living? Students and people in their first job? People aged 18-25?

Primarily, yes.

There are also older single people who it might benefit.

It's being sold as shoebox accommodation but ignores the extra facilities on site that come as part of the deal.

EDIT: From cam earlier in the thread:

Quote:
If you look at the lower ground floor plan on the link I attached you will see that also included is a laundry, Gym (140 sq.m.), games room (80 sq.m.), multipurpose room (110 sq. m.) and a cinema.

Thanks stats I'll give cammys link a read also

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 3:37 pm 

The fallout about co-living goes back to my earlier point about FG getting a kicking no matter what they do. There's a lot of negativity surrounding them as a result of lots of big and small things. NCH, the mortuary thing, homelessness/housing, broadband, etc.

Not all of it is fair IMO, but some has been handled badly by FG.

Can't see them doing well in the next GE, unless there's a significant enough number of people who just get on with it and don't register on the social outrage wavelengths, as Furlong feels there are.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 3:41 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
The fallout about co-living goes back to my earlier point about FG getting a kicking no matter what they do. There's a lot of negativity surrounding them as a result of lots of big and small things. NCH, the mortuary thing, homelessness/housing, broadband, etc.

Can't see them doing well in the next GE, unless there's a significant enough number of people who just get on with it and don't register on the social outrage wavelengths, as Furlong feels there are.

They'll do alright. But they won't be close to forming a majority government and I can't see FF do the same again (they'll look for power sharing - well, I would). Greens might also have to be included next time if the vote is indicative at all.

One way or another they'll have a say in the running of the country for some time to come.

Duff Paddy wrote:
Nardol you are contriving a strange argument with yourself here. Co-living will be very popular as it will suit a lot of people. Dublin has a large population of young people working in the city who only plan to stay 3 years or so. I don’t see any problem with it as it will add to the options for young people who want to live in a central location in Dublin but who could not otherwise afford it.

I absolutely agree that this form of accomodation has its part to play, the broader the range of product on the market the better needs can be facilitated.
I just don't think this solves the housing issue - at least what the issue is to me. To me it's that families can't be started and life is being put on hold because people can't settle down. Granted this solution might free up a few houses where people are currently sharing for families but other than that it seems like a substitute for hotels and or extending student accommodation further into life...

1.It's not going to win votes (specially if it's young people only here for 3 years that can't vote anyway)

2. It's also not going to help families get established.

3. I fully appreciate my definition of the housing issue might only be my interpretation

Nolanator wrote:

A lot of that is social media. The bile and vitriol against politicians on social media is completely OTT. It doesn’t help that we really are a nation of whingers. People seem to want to blame politicians on everything. Recently there were roadworks in a nearby village. A local councillor made a Facebook post to explain about the reason for the traffic jams. The comments section was just abuse. Some of the stuff could have attracted the attention of the Gardai. This isn’t representative of the Irish people I deal with every day.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 3:43 pm 

Nolanator wrote:

What happens in October with Brexit will have a very large say in how the GE plays out.

Like Furlong, I'm not displeased to see the Greens taking votes from the loony left, as we know that they are a serious party where government is concerned, albeit with their own nimbyisms.

I note that the tallies have Hazel Chu of the greens with 33% of the first preferences in Beechwood electoral area. You know where Beechwood Road was going bto be cut by the Metro, and the Greens were probably th most voluble against it, producing their own alternate alignments.

Nothing changes in politics.

Last edited by camroc1 on Sat May 25, 2019 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 3:44 pm 

Nolanator wrote:

Yeah, I just reckon that FG’s job on the economy, brexit, progressive referenda, and generally being a sane steadying influence after a huge period of trauma, will be rewarded by the taxpaying, largely centrist electorate

The alternatives are very grim and will be hopefully recognized as such

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 3:46 pm 

Duff, yeah that's fair. Even check out the Journal comments. Toxic cesspit. Completely disproportionate.

Statto, I'd presumed that if the Greens do well next time out, they'll be involved with whoever forms the government. Be interesting to see that if they do go into coalition, whether they've changed their approach since being destroyed in the aftermath of the FF/Green government.

Cam, of course. Hadn't considered that angle, was just thinking domestically.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 3:50 pm 

nardol wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
Nardol you are contriving a strange argument with yourself here. Co-living will be very popular as it will suit a lot of people. Dublin has a large population of young people working in the city who only plan to stay 3 years or so. I don’t see any problem with it as it will add to the options for young people who want to live in a central location in Dublin but who could not otherwise afford it.

I absolutely agree that this form of accomodation has its part to play, the broader the range of product on the market the better needs can be facilitated.
I just don't think this solves the housing issue - at least what the issue is to me. To me it's that families can't be started and life is being put on hold because people can't settle down. Granted this solution might free up a few houses where people are currently sharing for families but other than that it seems like a substitute for hotels and or extending student accommodation further into life...

1.It's not going to win votes (specially if it's young people only here for 3 years that can't vote anyway)

2. It's also not going to help families get established.

3. I fully appreciate my definition of the housing issue might only be my interpretation

I don’t even know where to start with this

- they’re not a solution to the housing crisis, they’re a small part of a solution
- winning votes? The votes are with the silent majority who pay for their own houses and are also being asked to pay for free houses for other people - funny enough this cohort doesn’t get much airtime, they’re too busy working their arses off to raise their families
- it’s not supposed to get families established

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 3:57 pm 

nardol wrote:
CM11 wrote:
I think some people are missing that the co living idea will free up a decent amount of accommodation. They're saying 'we don't need basic bedsits, we need houses/apartments!!' when the reality is that the reason we are short of houses and apartments is because they're full of people who are more suited to the co living idea.

Who exactly are these people suited to co living? Students and people in their first job? People aged 18-25?

Whoever the fudge wants it. Give me one good reason why it shouldn't be offered.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 4:00 pm 

nardol wrote:
What's the difference between co living and student accommodation? Is it just extending student accommodation to a later stage? Makes sense but it's probably still cheaper to rent a house with 3/4 mates if the figures I've seen are accurate.

There’s a lot of people in there early thirties co living.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 4:04 pm 

There'll be what, 5K ? of these units built, and they will fill a niche in the market, previously filled by a combination of bed sits, and digs. I really don't see the problem.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 4:05 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

A lot of that is social media. The bile and vitriol against politicians on social media is completely OTT. It doesn’t help that we really are a nation of whingers. People seem to want to blame politicians on everything. Recently there were roadworks in a nearby village. A local councillor made a Facebook post to explain about the reason for the traffic jams. The comments section was just abuse. Some of the stuff could have attracted the attention of the Gardai. This isn’t representative of the Irish people I deal with every day.

A friend of mine is councilor in Ashbourne. (Globes etc)He was famous a few years ago over a sign about muzzling dangerous dogs. It completely blew up on social media and he got serious abuse some of it international even death threats. He was able to laugh it off as just being totally bizzare but it goes to show you’ll be more famous for being hated.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 4:27 pm 

Divorce ref 87%

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 5:04 pm 

Looking like a bad day for SF?

Oh no.....

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 5:06 pm 

paddyor wrote:
Divorce ref 87%

Has any vote had such a massive majority?

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 5:11 pm 

CM11 wrote:
Looking like a bad day for SF?

Oh no.....

Very bad. :nod:

Some of the European reporting on the Irish EU parliament is interesting. Rather than commenting on how the individual parties are doing they are noting the increase in votes for pro EU parties.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 6:08 pm 

Yer wan has dropped the case.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 6:20 pm 

Lol. I'd say the party are furious with her for bringing such negative attention.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 7:11 pm 

She is done

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 7:14 pm 

EverReady wrote:
She is done

Surely

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 8:03 pm 

I think something being missed about the Greens is how active the party is on the ground. Of the two who ran for the Dail last time in Cork North Central and Cork South Central I've seen them pop up in local media quite often. Plus I'd run into them out and about. And they're active on social media about locally important issues.

There's a mixture of youth and age in the party that's driving modern engagement while also toning down of the extremes. The likes of PBP have nothing like that. They're fully committed to "the cause" but have no sense of real politik. Even SF aren't giving a nod towards the idea of governing. The Greens have ideals but they've also thought through, to some degree, how they want those ideals achieved. For all the left want drastic change, something I could get on board with, maybe, they haven't looked at how that change could happen. The Greens have. Which is why you see the leftier-lefts screaming about how the Greens are stealing their platform, how they're a party for the middle-class, and how they're "acceptable." It's all f**king true. They're a left wing party with some notion of what's real.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:11 pm 

CarrotGawks wrote:
I think something being missed about the Greens is how active the party is on the ground. Of the two who ran for the Dail last time in Cork North Central and Cork South Central I've seen them pop up in local media quite often. Plus I'd run into them out and about. And they're active on social media about locally important issues.

There's a mixture of youth and age in the party that's driving modern engagement while also toning down of the extremes. The likes of PBP have nothing like that. They're fully committed to "the cause" but have no sense of real politik. Even SF aren't giving a nod towards the idea of governing. The Greens have ideals but they've also thought through, to some degree, how they want those ideals achieved. For all the left want drastic change, something I could get on board with, maybe, they haven't looked at how that change could happen. The Greens have. Which is why you see the leftier-lefts screaming about how the Greens are stealing their platform, how they're a party for the middle-class, and how they're "acceptable." It's all f**king true. They're a left wing party with some notion of what's real.

Indeed

The greens actually want real left wing things like property and water charges, as well as a sustainable planer ..... whereas the other muppets want class warfare

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:15 pm 

As I said the hard left are taking this very badly. I had my brother shouting at me on the phone earlier and was abusing a mates husband who is in FF online. Lost.it :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:23 pm 

rfurlong wrote:
CarrotGawks wrote:

Indeed

The greens actually want real left wing things like property and water charges, as well as a sustainable planer ..... whereas the other muppets want class warfare

It's both their biggest strength and their biggest weakness. They don't promise a utopia, unlike some. They're fully aware that hard things need to be implemented and are up front about it. They're going to be savaged from now on for proposing short-term sacrifice to do something important (like stop climate change.) They'll have every reason to do it, will argue all the accurate points why it's necessary, and then some arsehole from SF or PBP will say "it'll cost the worker." It'll f**king cost everyone if nothing is done.

I think, if they're to continue on with the strides they've made, they're going to have to make everything they do layered on a progressive system. If they want to reduce the amount of air travel, they're going to need to do it in a way that the person who gets one trip a year to Lanzarote can stomach it, while catching the person who has a city break every season, a winter trip to some German Christmas market, plus their summer holidays. SF will be screaming about it stopping people from their hard earned break, completely ignoring the fact that it'll mostly target the people who can afford air travel like I afford the bus.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:56 pm 

Just thinking about it .....

Varadkar should bring the two green td’s into government now .... give Ryan a junior Ministership in transport and give Catherine Martin the same in energy communications and climate action

It will freak FF out and will give FG and Greens a boost before the general election

Do an alignment with them now before the election, as the greens will probably get about 8-12 seats in the next GE

It’ll also annoy the hell out of the independent gombeen alliance .... which would be a massive bonus

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 10:15 pm 

The green vote is the equivalent of far right votes in much of Europe, reactionary anti establishment twattery that is highly unlikely to be replicated in an election where people’s livelihoods might actually be affected.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 10:18 pm 

CarrotGawks wrote:
rfurlong wrote:
CarrotGawks wrote:

Indeed

It's both their biggest strength and their biggest weakness. They don't promise a utopia, unlike some. They're fully aware that hard things need to be implemented and are up front about it. They're going to be savaged from now on for proposing short-term sacrifice to do something important (like stop climate change.) They'll have every reason to do it, will argue all the accurate points why it's necessary, and then some arsehole from SF or PBP will say "it'll cost the worker." It'll f**king cost everyone if nothing is done.

I think, if they're to continue on with the strides they've made, they're going to have to make everything they do layered on a progressive system. If they want to reduce the amount of air travel, they're going to need to do it in a way that the person who gets one trip a year to Lanzarote can stomach it, while catching the person who has a city break every season, a winter trip to some German Christmas market, plus their summer holidays. SF will be screaming about it stopping people from their hard earned break, completely ignoring the fact that it'll mostly target the people who can afford air travel like I afford the bus.

What’s the point of having a lovely clean world if you can’t go to see it.

:thumbdown:

Posting from Lanzarote. :lol: 8)

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 10:33 pm 

Looking increasingly like a good weekend for the soldiers of destiny

My man is 3567 on the first count.

Rise and follow!!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 10:46 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
Looking increasingly like a good weekend for the soldiers of destiny

My man is 3567 on the first count.

Rise and follow!!!!

Good to see one half of the dynamic duo doing well at least. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:29 am 

FF looking set to become the biggest party on Dublin City Council.

Absolutely extraordinary result.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:35 am 

Mullet 2 wrote:
FF looking set to become the biggest party on Dublin City Council.

Absolutely extraordinary result.

People have short memories alright.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:40 am 

Very short memories.

Imagining punishing a party that freed and then built modern Ireland.

But they're coming back to the fold

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:42 am 

Mullet 2 wrote:
Very short memories.

Imagining punishing a party that freed and then built modern Ireland.

But they're coming back to the fold

Imagine voting for a party that ran the country into the ground less than a decade ago.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:46 am 

I see an Independent candidate has topped the poll in the locals in my constituency but is also lying 3rd after the first count in a neighbouring constituency. I never realised you could run in multiple constituencies. What happens if he gets elected in both? They're in South Dublin Council.
Can he nominate another person to take the second seat?

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:49 am 

Pembroke result : 1 Green (Chu), 2 FG (Geoghegan and McCartan), 1 FF(O'Connor) and 1 Labour (Lacey).

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:52 am 

Leinsterman wrote:
I see an Independent candidate has topped the poll in the locals in my constituency but is also lying 3rd after the first count in a neighbouring constituency. I never realised you could run in multiple constituencies. What happens if he gets elected in both? They're in South Dublin Council.

Who is that? I saw Ruth Nolan was doing it right.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:52 am 

Gogarty.
Topped Lucan and currently third I think in Fonthill/Palmerston

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:57 am 

Leinsterman wrote:

He can

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 10:58 am 

Quite a powerful position to be in in that case.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60426 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1374, 1375, 1376, 1377, 1378, 1379, 1380 ... 1511  Next