Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58004 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1436, 1437, 1438, 1439, 1440, 1441, 1442 ... 1451  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:22 pm 

40 cattle on x hectares is the same as 400 cattle on 10x hectares. The number of farmers per hectares is what is the primary issue.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:23 pm 

Liathroidigloine wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:
Most actual farmers I know think bigger farms are the only solution. They want the "hobby farmers" forced out.

They aren't hobby farmers. They are farmers who work two jobs. I know lots of them and [b]they would prefer to farm full time.[/b]

If I had the choice between eating meat produced by a lad with 30 or 40 cattle or one with 500 cattle I know which I would choose, even if that meant spending a bit more. Likewise, I don't buy my meat in pre packed plastic portions in supermarkets but off a proper butcher. Yeah, I'm old fashioned.

I'd prefer to be a big game hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:26 pm 

Liathroidigloine wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:
Most actual farmers I know think bigger farms are the only solution. They want the "hobby farmers" forced out.

They aren't hobby farmers. They are farmers who work two jobs. I know lots of them and they would prefer to farm full time.

If I had the choice between eating meat produced by a lad with 30 or 40 cattle or one with 500 cattle I know which I would choose, even if that meant spending a bit more. Likewise, I don't buy my meat in pre packed plastic portions in supermarkets but off a proper butcher. Yeah, I'm old fashioned.

And have more of a disposable income.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:29 pm 

Lets not also forget that farmers get MASSIVE subsidies already with CAP

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:53 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:

They aren't hobby farmers. They are farmers who work two jobs. I know lots of them and they would prefer to farm full time.

And have more of a disposable income.

With two in college, are you f**king joking? :| :| :|

But I'd choose to spend an extra tenner a week or whatever on my meat than spend it going out.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:55 pm 

Liathroidigloine wrote:
nardol wrote:
Alternative is rural ireland doesnt change and it dies because everyone buys their beef from Netherlands, France, Hungary etc etc.

Like the world I'm selling or not but the future is reliant in farmers making a living

Dutch, French and Hungarian beef? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Some French beef is rated higher than Irish beef.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:57 pm 

paddyor wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:
nardol wrote:
Alternative is rural ireland doesnt change and it dies because everyone buys their beef from Netherlands, France, Hungary etc etc.

Like the world I'm selling or not but the future is reliant in farmers making a living

For smelling of horse?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:59 pm 

Liathroidigloine wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:

They are hobby farmers. They work part time on uneconomic plots because they want to.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:00 pm 

paddyor wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:
nardol wrote:

John Stone beef, produced in Ballymahon, is up there with the best beef I've eaten anywhere in the world. It is really top class.

The everyday beef that I can buy in my local butcher is usually of a very high standard, well reared, hung and butchered.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:48 pm 

Liathroidigloine wrote:
paddyor wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:
nardol wrote:

John Stone beef, produced in Ballymahon, is up there with the best beef I've eaten anywhere in the world. It is really top class.

The everyday beef that I can buy in my local butcher is usually of a very high standard, well reared, hung and butchered.

sounds like something aspirational for Mullet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:41 am 

Seems that they found the body of the Irish teenager who went missing in Malaysia. Seemed inevitable. Still, horrible.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:47 am 

Nolanator wrote:
Seems that they found the body of the Irish teenager who went missing in Malaysia. Seemed inevitable. Still, horrible.

Closure I guess, plus assorted other clichés. Horrible indeed.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:48 am 

Nolanator wrote:

Very sad. She must have died terrified and all alone. The Malaysians are just great people. It’s an extremely low crime country so they knew that abduction was unlikely. They did everything they could to help this poor family.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:49 am 

Duff Paddy wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Very sad. She must have died terrified and all alone. The Malaysians are just great people. It’s an extremely low crime country so they knew that abduction was unlikely.

Their authorities didn't seem too great when investigating MH370, by all accounts.
Don't really know anything about the country, TBH.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:55 am 

Nolanator wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Very sad. She must have died terrified and all alone. The Malaysians are just great people. It’s an extremely low crime country so they knew that abduction was unlikely.

Their authorities didn't seem too great when investigating MH370, by all accounts.

It is a fascinating country. Still quite British in many ways. Their government send a lot of students over to Irish universities every year so I have encountered a good few of them. They are impeccably well mannered.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:01 am 

Duff Paddy wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

It is a fascinating country. Still quite British in many ways. Their government send a lot of students over to Irish universities every year so I have encountered a good few of them. They are impeccably well mannered.

Never had any dealings with them myself.
I do recall, however, that back in the day some in TCD decided that they were going to run a duplicate of my undergrad course specifically for Malaysian students. Being a university, this decision was taken without consulting any of the people involved in managing and administering the course, so no thought given to practicality, logistics, lab space etc. All about the €€€. Don't think it ever got going.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:11 am 

My GF lived there for several years, says it has got increasingly dangerous and wouldn't recommend it anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:25 am 

Blackrock Bullet wrote:
My GF lived there for several years, says it has got increasingly dangerous and wouldn't recommend it anymore.

Saudi Wahibbist Imams ?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:28 am 

Pretty much.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:38 am 

Blackrock Bullet wrote:

spent some time there and loved it ; Kuala Lumpur is one of the few places I would up sticks and move to. Some Chinese Malaysian friends of mine do talk about the increase in crime but I'm thinking it all relative.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:39 am 

Duff Paddy wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

The best tenants I ever had were Malaysian chefs and students.
Had a wee moment of hope when I saw footage of Soldiers pushing through jungle trails and calling for Nora.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:45 am 

Terrible tragedy but looking at the forest it's a small comfort they found the body at least.

Poor girl.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:47 am 

camroc1 wrote:
Saudi Wahibbist Imams ?

Seems like an awful lot of shit in many countries could be very quickly removed if the influence of these knuckle-draggers could be eliminated.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:50 am 

Nolanator wrote:

Very sad.

I really wonder what happened.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:53 am 

Nolanator wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
Saudi Wahibbist Imams ?

Seems like an awful lot of shit in many countries could be very quickly removed if the influence of these knuckle-draggers could be eliminated.

They come as part of the parcel that generally includes lots of development money.

I do agree though, Wahibbism is an extreme cult form of Islam.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:54 am 

Bullettyme wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Very sad.

Went for a walk, strayed, and panicked.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:55 am 

We need to break oil dependence and send the middle east back to the irrelevant backwater it so richly deserves.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:00 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
We need to break oil dependence and send the middle east back to the irrelevant backwater it so richly deserves.

Absolutely. Unfortunately part of the price of non-oil technology will be dependence on minerals that are mostly found in other countries with awful human rights records. DRC, CAR, etc.
Just changing which bunch of shitheads the developed world props up.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:02 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:

I agree.

But the ME will still produce the cheapest oil that will be used in various manufacturing processes.

Plus as Custodians of the two Holy Mosques in the Two Holy Cities (Mecca and Medina) the Saudis hold considerable prestige amongst Muslims.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:10 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Very sad.

I would have thought probably looking for parents in a strange place. That's what I initially thought rather than abducted

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:10 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
Saudi Wahibbist Imams ?

They come as part of the parcel that generally includes lots of development money.

I do agree though, Wahibbism is an extreme cult form of Islam.

Brought to you by Saudi Arabia, our friend and ally in the middle east

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:18 pm 

EverReady wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Very sad.

I would have thought probably looking for parents in a strange place. That's what I initially thought rather than abducted

Something like that. Or heard a noise and went to look.

Going for a walk sounds out of character given the information we've been given, especially if it started with a climb out of the window.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:34 pm 

paddyor wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:

They are hobby farmers. They work part time on uneconomic plots because they want to.

Well it’s going to become even more of a hobby in the future. The first UK university has now banned beef from its campus for environmental reasons. Watch this spread like the plastic straw boycott.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:39 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:
paddyor wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:

Well it’s going to become even more of a hobby in the future. The first UK university has now banned beef from its campus for environmental reasons. Watch this spread like the plastic straw boycott.

More for me to eat. On top of that, developing countries are eating more animal based protein. It was the case that we used only send China pigs "arseholes and elbows" but now the are buying more premium cuts.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:39 pm 

Funny thing is that apparently dairy farming has much bigger negative impact on environment

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:45 pm 

Liathroidigloine wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
paddyor wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:

More for me to eat. On top of that, developing countries are eating more animal based protein. It was the case that we used only send China pigs "arseholes and elbows" but now the are buying more premium cuts.

Supply and demand. Beef farmers are in for a tough time.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:47 pm 

We have a terrible lack of deciduous forests in the country, this could be a good opportunity to get some of them to offset their carbon emissions through a re-forestation programme

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:47 pm 

Feed lot and grain fed beef, and Brazillian (due to cutting down forests), will suffer long before grass fed in a temperate climate.

In fact there are likely to be opportunities to grass fed temperate climeate beef.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:51 pm 

Nolanator wrote:

Terribly sad but I dont understand why the media here refer to her as Irish, she was born and lived her whole life in London from the looks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:52 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:

Just wait until they float Saudi Aremco next year and a chunk of your ridiculously generous civil service pension buys a chunk of their stock..... You'll change your tune.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58004 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1436, 1437, 1438, 1439, 1440, 1441, 1442 ... 1451  Next