Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58708 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1448, 1449, 1450, 1451, 1452, 1453, 1454 ... 1468  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:09 pm 

Uncle Fester wrote:
Debt write-off: How Frank McNamara and Theresa Lowe returned to spotlight for wrong reasons

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/c ... 22319.html

Doesn't say if they are keeping the house.

Maybe the Iona Institute can give them a dig out.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:14 pm 

Could she sell that accent she bought

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:10 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:
Could she sell that accent she bought

Probably some takers for it in Kings Inn.

Also, does this mean we can expect to see more or less of Frank playing the keyboard in the middle of the likes of Liffey Valley or Blanchardstown Centre in future?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:55 pm 

John Deasy resigning from politics.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:03 am 

Duff Paddy wrote:

T'was rumoured a while back that JD has a terminal illness. Hopefully this is not the case.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:43 am 

Duff Paddy wrote:

No surprise. The local constituency party is in a state civil war and he was likely to be deselected.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:09 am 

Miguel Indurain wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:

T'was rumoured a while back that JD has a terminal illness. Hopefully this is not the case.

He doesn’t look particularly healthy but then again he never really did. He paid a high price for a moment of supreme arrogance/stupidity.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:04 pm 

Independent newspapers working hard all week on a we need to blink first and forget about the backstop. I counted 6 articles

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:12 pm 

EverReady wrote:
Independent newspapers working hard all week on a we need to blink first and forget about the backstop. I counted 6 articles

I know Eoghan Harris has been banging this drum for the past weeks. The guy is insane.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:02 pm 

EverReady wrote:

West Brits gonna West Brit.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:23 pm 

I was surprised at the number of articles but it must be editorial policy to either have opinion writers state it or run articles on other people who have said it. Today is Lucinda Creighton and it is reported like this 'old mate of Leo's says fück the back stop wink wink'. A mate of mine wrote an article on it during the week but tbf he is an actual West Brit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:08 pm 

EverReady wrote:
I was surprised at the number of articles but it must be editorial policy to either have opinion writers state it or run articles on other people who have said it. Today is Lucinda Creighton and it is reported like this 'old mate of Leo's says fück the back stop wink wink'. A mate of mine wrote an article on it during the week but tbf he is an actual West Brit

Denis must see an opportunity

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:12 pm 

Quote:
Varadkar friend: Time to 'compromise' with Johnson on Brexit backstop

:lol: :lol: :lol: I’ve just read it. This is the actual headline. What a complete rag

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:17 pm 

Quote:
We must compromise and offer a five-year time limit on the backstop to avoid economic devastation," she writes in In her column in the 'Sunday Business Post'.

With a finger on the pulse like that I can see how she was such a success in politics. Johnson has explicitly stated that he has no interest in a lime limited backstop. Besides, the whole backstop issue is a red herring, we know that the hardline Brexiteers won’t accept any deal backstop or not.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:22 pm 

Indo just seem to exist to kick the government these .... it's as if their editorial policy is based off social media outrage/sentiment analysis

At least RTE and the IT are ideologically anti-government ..... the Indos position is purely driven by what it thinks will sell more papers

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:24 pm 

rfurlong wrote:
Indo just seem to exist to kick the government these .... it's as if their editorial policy is based off social media outrage/sentiment analysis

At least RTE and the IT are ideologically anti-government ..... the Indos position is purely driven by what it thinks will sell more papers

The headline is written specifically to either get picked up by Fleet Street or to be syndicated to them. Fairly dodgy ground.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:29 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:
rfurlong wrote:

The headline is written specifically to either get picked up by Fleet Street or to be syndicated to them. Fairly dodgy ground.

This.

And then misquoted by some shit arrogant journo/mp back to poor old Neale Richmond as evidence that there is pressure on Varadakar to drop the backstop.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:52 pm 

This Peter Taylor documentary on BBC2 is superb. Utterly chilling though

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:58 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:
Quote:
We must compromise and offer a five-year time limit on the backstop to avoid economic devastation," she writes in In her column in the 'Sunday Business Post'.

With a finger on the pulse like that I can see how she was such a success in politics. Johnson has explicitly stated that he has no interest in a lime limited backstop. Besides, the whole backstop issue is a red herring, we know that the hardline Brexiteers won’t accept any deal backstop or not.

75% (conservative estimate) of the hardline Brexit/Tory support base barely know what it is. Purely a buzzword to help kick the can down the road and enable grievance politics.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:12 am 

EverReady wrote:

Dan O'Brien has been making the case against the backstop for a while(and it has to be said he makes some good points), I'd separate him from the bandwagoners and shoe polish aficionado like Harris. I think there is a case to be made against it but no one is Irish politics is making it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:43 pm 

Who is this moron 'Ms Kelly'?

She said a subsequent influx of tenants to the area "will give rise to an increase in population within this local area". - TRULY AMAZING ANALYSIS

Ms Kelly added that she was "not convinced that there is a commensurate level of employment opportunities". - WHAT THE ACTUAL

Neighbours and public representatives are furious after planning permission was granted for a 471-apartment complex in the middle of an established residential area in north Dublin.

An Bord Pleanala gave the go-ahead last week for one of the biggest rent-to-build schemes undertaken to date at the site of the former Chivers jam factory in Coolock.

This was despite the objections of a senior planning inspector who dismissed the scheme as "monolithic", saying it would "set an undesirable precedent" for suburban developments.

The proposal, by London-based developers Platinum Land, was approved under the new fast-track Strategic Housing Development scheme.

This allows land development proposals to bypass approval by the local planning authority and be heard directly by the planning body.

The project initially proposed transforming the derelict site into four apartment towers consisting of 495 apartments of up to five storeys high.

However, Housing Minister Eoghan Murphy removed the height restrictions, which allowed the developers to apply to double the height of the buildings to 10 storeys.

While An Bord Pleanala reduced the height to eight and nine storeys as a condition of granting the application, the planning body's senior inspector Joanna Kelly concluded that the project should not go ahead at all following her inspection last month.

In her 72-page report submitted to the board, Ms Kelly described the "arrangement of the proposed blocks and overall design of the scheme" as "monolithic".

She said it "would set an undesirable precedent for the repetition of this proposed form, with unsympathetic proportions relative to the character and pattern of development in the immediate area".

Ms Kelly also noted her concerns that the scale and density of the project is "premature pending the delivery of a high-capacity public transport system in the immediate area of the development site".

–– ADVERTISEMENT ––

She said a subsequent influx of tenants to the area "will give rise to an increase in population within this local area".

Ms Kelly added that she was "not convinced that there is a commensurate level of employment opportunities, social and recreational facilities required to underpin sustainable neighbourhoods".

"The development strategy for the site itself, both in terms of scale and height, is considered excessive," she wrote.

However, the board rejected Ms Kelly's concerns, saying the development would be located "within sufficient distance of several major employment centres".

These include "Beaumont Hospital and the city centre and within one kilometre of a high-capacity integrated public transportation system".

It also rejected her concerns that the project would set an undesirable precedent for similar developments or that the overall design was "monolithic".

The board said the scale and proposed population density is "fully in accordance" with the new Urban Development and Building Heights Guidelines for Planning Authorities.

However, some local councillors said the proposed development has not gone down well in the area.

Sinn Fein's Larry O'Toole said local people are furious about the visual impact the development would have on the area.

Neighbours were initially told by Platinum Land that the four tower blocks would be only five-storeys high, but what was ultimately approved is nearly double that, said Mr O'Toole.

"It's not at all what we thought," he said. "The residents were given a presentation and it certainly doesn't look anything like the final proposal.

"It's totally out of character with the rest of the area."

Mr O'Toole said some Dublin city councillors, including himself, voted to rezone the derelict site from industrial to residential in order to provide much-needed housing.

"But I'm not happy at all with the way it turned out," he said.

His council colleague, Patricia Roe of the Social Democrats, said: "I'm all for high-density, but we seem to be going about it the wrong way because of the housing crisis."

Ms Roe said the relaxing of height restrictions has led to a number of developers planning to build in the area re-submitting applications seeking to add numerous storeys.

She said she was also "gobsmacked" that the planning board disregarded its own inspector and granted permission anyway.

"It's horrific. I think what we have is panic," she said.

"The fact is that experts are being over-ruled, but to stick these huge monolithic buildings in the middle of two-storey homes?

"Don't plonk high-rises in the middle of an area that is low rise."

A spokesman for An Bord Pleanala said the only option for those seeking to overturn the decision is to launch a judicial review.

Aside from the cost involved, the court action can only be taken on procedural grounds and "not the merit of the case", he said.

The spokesman added that while it is not common, neither is it unusual for the board to reject the advice of its own inspectors,

Officials from Platinum Land, owned by Irish developers Maurice and Andres Gillick, did not respond to requests for comment by the Herald.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:52 pm 

nardol wrote:

While An Bord Pleanala reduced the height to eight and nine storeys as a condition of granting the application, the planning body's senior inspector Joanna Kelly concluded that the project should not go ahead at all following her inspection last month.

In her 72-page report submitted to the board, Ms Kelly described the "arrangement of the proposed blocks and overall design of the scheme" as "monolithic".

Can you not read?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:00 pm 

sewa wrote:
nardol wrote:

Can you not read?

I was going along a more of a rhetorical line of outrage

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:09 pm 

Great to hear the inspector is ignored again.

The height is not. The developers have left a lot of space there for a park as well. Great for the area.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:10 pm 

nardol wrote:

Since Eoghan Murphy essentially banned height restrictions for resi developments ABP have been routinely ignoring their own inspectors. That said, I'm not sure lopping one storey off was worth the effort.

What the proposed development looks like:

Interesting that it's SF and SDs kicking up a fuss. Something tells me they will start a campaign against "Greedy Developer" built projects in time for the next election.

Finally it appears that ABP are open to ignoring SDZ plans for projects going directly to them as "strategic housing developments" particularly where height and density are concerned.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:16 pm 

Blackrock Bullet wrote:

The height is not. The developers have left a lot of space there for a park as well. Great for the area.

If social housing units are kept within certain limits it could be brilliant for the area. Push the Darndale boundary / influence back.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:25 pm 

nardol wrote:
Blackrock Bullet wrote:

If social housing units are kept within certain limits it could be brilliant for the area. Push the Darndale boundary / influence back.

Statutory provision is for 10% Social and 10% Affordable, although I'm not sure how that works in a 'build to rent' scheme.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:19 pm 

The SDs and SF will be giving it loads about climate change as well. The Greens are always at it of course. Utter hypocrites.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:38 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
nardol wrote:

Since Eoghan Murphy essentially banned height restrictions for resi developments ABP have been routinely ignoring their own inspectors. That said, I'm not sure lopping one storey off was worth the effort.

Interesting that it's SF and SDs kicking up a fuss. Something tells me they will start a campaign against "Greedy Developer" built projects in time for the next election.

Finally it appears that ABP are open to ignoring SDZ plans for projects going directly to them as "strategic housing developments" particularly where height and density are concerned.

Where is that? It would be a horrendous mess if that's full of knacks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:12 pm 

Old Chivers factory site in Coolock. A private build to rent project.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingn ... 45091.html

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:22 pm 

anonymous_joe wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
nardol wrote:

Where is that? It would be a horrendous mess if that's full of knacks.

Agreed. High rise needs to be c. 95% private rent / owned to work. Too much social housing you end up with the towers in ballymun.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:42 pm 

Looks like a decent development. Glad they are ignoring her

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:53 pm 

nardol wrote:
Blackrock Bullet wrote:

I would be sceptical about any benefits to Coolock from this development. I guess we'll see how it pans out.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:00 pm 

It won't get built. The arse is about to fall out of it all

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:01 pm 

paddyor wrote:
EverReady wrote:

Dan O'Brien has been making the case against the backstop for a while(and it has to be said he makes some good points), I'd separate him from the bandwagoners and shoe polish aficionado like Harris. I think there is a case to be made against it but no one is Irish politics is making it.

O'Brien spotted a niche he could make money in through being a contrarian. He's not a wingnut like Hermann Kelly or a paid shill like Ray Bassett, he's just an opportunist.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:06 pm 

EverReady wrote:

Not so sure.

The population is still growing, and finance for construction is far more diverse than 2007/2008.

And people need somewhere to live.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:07 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
EverReady wrote:

Not so sure.

The population is still growing, and finance for construction is far more diverse than 2007/2008.

And people need somewhere to live.

Apologies. I am specifically talking about that scale

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:27 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
Old Chivers factory site in Coolock. A private build to rent project.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingn ... 45091.html

Then that many gaffs is a horrendous idea. As Nardol points out you'd need nearly all private for that not to go to shit. Which wouldn't be allowed.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:39 pm 

The absolute shite in that inspectors report. Who dafuck do they have working for them?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:06 pm 

paddyor wrote:
The absolute shite in that inspectors report. Who dafuck do they have working for them?

NIMBYs and failed urban planners.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58708 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1448, 1449, 1450, 1451, 1452, 1453, 1454 ... 1468  Next