Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1462, 1463, 1464, 1465, 1466, 1467, 1468 ... 1480  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:32 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
Can somebody tell these farmers that the laws of economics apply to them?

Their position that the Government should guarantee beef prices is laughable.

Farmers always think they can bully their way to get what they want. I see the communist leprechaun is down at the ploughing today encouraging the gobshites to stick with it - any idiot can see this is going to end in absolute disaster for them

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:36 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:

Farmers always think they can bully their way to get what they want. I see the communist leprechaun is down at the ploughing today encouraging the gobshites to stick with it - any idiot can see this is going to end in absolute disaster for them

I blame you cúnts who voted for him. You wouldn't have caught Séan Gallagher at that shite.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:09 pm 

fine gael, the party of fiscal responsilbity .... :?

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2019/090 ... beef-fund/

we can kiss any tax cuts good bye with the Bertie style giveaway budget thats coming

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:22 pm 

ticketlessinseattle wrote:
fine gael, the party of fiscal responsilbity .... :?

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2019/090 ... beef-fund/

we can kiss any tax cuts good bye with the Bertie style giveaway budget thats coming

You realise that there are Brexit grants for just about every industry out there to help them prepare for Brexit, not just beef farmers.

Or perhaps ypu would just like to see rural SMEs (and farmers) go bust ?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:26 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:

The farmers are basically asking the government to force the processors to price fix ....... in other words, they want the government to ensure that the directors of ABP, Slaney Meats etc commit a criminal offence that comes with a lengthy prison sentence

At what juncture is our fvcking media and our political system, going to point out this inconvenient truth to the poor farmers?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:14 am 

Media are have/always and will always play the sob story, an emotional story is 6 time more powerful than a fact based one, according to one report I read on it. Stop being so surprised that they keep running with one.

The issue really is the farming business model in Ireland isn't working and around the the size of farm holding. I grew up on a farm and have brothers still farming, and I think I know of 1 farmer who is solely depending on farming for an income. The rest, farming is supplementing their primary wage or they are doing it for the love of it or identity or some sense that they have to for the family name. I think what we are seeing now is a consolidation of agriculture and I think there will be lots of upheaval in agriculture in the next decade and I hope the government of the time can manage it.

In fairness most farmers now, don't want the strikes and it is just a few who are protesting, most want to get on with it and not damage the sector further.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:18 am 

Quote:
Motorists may be asked to voluntarily obey new speed limits on the country's busiest motorway because there is no law for gardaí to enforce them.

Variable speed limits will be introduced on the M50 next year. Overhead warning signage is going up shortly, testing will begin in the new year and the new speed limits will follow on a staged basis.

The southern section will have them first but ultimately the new regime will apply along the M50's entire length.

Transport Infrastructure Ireland (TII) has taken the decision to press ahead with the plan despite the likelihood that there will be no penalty for breaking the limits. A bill to make variable speed limits legally enforceable has been delayed by Brexit and other Government priorities.

TII spokesman Sean O'Neill said they would be "advisory speed limits" until such time as they were enforceable by law.

"We're hopeful people will abide by them and once they understand why we have them, they'll see they make sense."

Variable limits allow speed limits to be reduced to take account of bad weather and congestion. Mr O'Neill said keeping all vehicles moving at a slower but steady pace in such conditions helped everyone move faster.

Variable speed limits have been discussed by government since 2013, but the underpinning legislation has been put on the long-finger.

The Department of Transport said progress was being made. "The minister has indicated that progressing the Road Traffic (Miscellaneous Provisions) Bill is a priority for the remainder of 2019, and it is hoped to publish the bill by the end of the year," a spokesperson said. Enacting the bill could take much longer, but AA consumer affairs director Conor Faughnan welcomed the decision to go ahead without it.

"It would be better if the legislation was in place along with the technology, but I think TII is taking the right attitude because this has been talked about for years," Mr Faughnan said.

The boy racers and serial undertakers will no doubt follow this to the letter.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:19 am 

I see a former businessman who never gambled more than 50 pence on a game of cards has his RA buddies back breaking peoples legs, nice place to do business up North

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:36 am 

ticketlessinseattle wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
It's not, as Noel Grealish is finding out. Whatever the rights and wrongs over direct provision, and I am generally in favour of the system we have here, it is a fact that most sub saharan asylum seekers who choose to make their claim in Ireland, are economic migrants and not asylum seekers, and choose Ireland because we have a relatively benign system combined with a relatively generous welfare system.

The reason adjudications take so long, is that it is common practice for asylum seekers when they reach their destination country of choice to destroy all id cards etc, making it difficult to prove their case one way or the other.

EDIT

I see I came to this late. Regarding Syria, Iraq, etc. and the 2015 refugee surge, they first of all suffered an appalling jihadist uprising and then, the US, UK and Russia bombed them back to the stone age. This also holds for Afghanistan. Anyone with money got out of dodge as quickly as possible. Hopefully when the bombing stops and some sort of economic normality returns, many of those displaced peoples will return.

the crazy part is that unlike Syria ; Afghanistan is not considered to be a war/danger zone for the purpose of deciding whether or not they are refugees ; people are getting deported back to Afghanistan ; Taliban target the eldest male of families, I know one fella thats in line to be deported back from Greece ; older brother is now dead so he's next in line

I see Germany deporting people to Afghanistan all the time , can't understand it.
Far more dangerous than say Zimbabwe which is one place we are taking refugees from.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:46 am 

MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:
Media are have/always and will always play the sob story, an emotional story is 6 time more powerful than a fact based one, according to one report I read on it. Stop being so surprised that they keep running with one.

The issue really is the farming business model in Ireland isn't working and around the the size of farm holding. I grew up on a farm and have brothers still farming, and I think I know of 1 farmer who is solely depending on farming for an income. The rest, farming is supplementing their primary wage or they are doing it for the love of it or identity or some sense that they have to for the family name. I think what we are seeing now is a consolidation of agriculture and I think there will be lots of upheaval in agriculture in the next decade and I hope the government of the time can manage it.

In fairness most farmers now, don't want the strikes and it is just a few who are protesting, most want to get on with it and not damage the sector further.

This.

Average farm size in Ireland is something like 70 Acres.
It should be 5-6 times that to allow farmers get a decent return.
And I'd support the return of the Land Commission, or something like it to have legal powers to facilitate this.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:53 am 

camroc1 wrote:
MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:

This.

And I'd support the return of the Land Commission, or something like it to have legal powers to facilitate this.

So we are back to closing down rural Ireland again. These are family farms you are talking about with real people who have a love for the land and farming. I'd prefer to pay more for my food or more in taxes and let them continue the way they produce food than see hundreds of empty farmhouses.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:55 am 

Liathroidigloine wrote:

So we are back to closing down rural Ireland again. These are family farms you are talking about with real people who have a love for the land and farming. I'd prefer to pay more for my food or more in taxes and let them continue the way they produce food than see hundreds of empty farmhouses.

Absolutely correct. The Dubs have some weird obsession with changing it yet every chance they get they skip that absolute kip for a weekend away in rural Ireland

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:00 pm 

Liathroidigloine wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:

This.

I'd prefer to see double decker trams, horses and buggys back on college green ..... but it ain't happening.

Is beef farming is a shit living for them they need to change the unit economics via innovation/scale, or else find something else to do. For example 70 acres of solar PV turns a farmer into a fairly big energy supplier .....

Expecting the government to subsidise them based on what they've been doing for the last 50 years is king canute stuff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:15 pm 

Liathroidigloine wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:

This.

It's a business not a romance, I am paying tax on my pension to give to these no hopers.

Last edited by lorcanoworms on Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:18 pm 

Liathroidigloine wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:

This.

That's fine, you can pay more. Meanwhile the rest of the world will naturally support the practices which are more cost efficient, buy purchasing the cheaper of two equal products.

Farming isn't just a way of life. It's the means by which all our food is produced. Ever other industry changes its practices in accordance with changing technology, demand, demographics etc. Farming isn't special.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:28 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
That's fine, you can pay more. Meanwhile the rest of the world will naturally support the practices which are more cost efficient, buy purchasing the cheaper of two equal products.

Farming isn't just a way of life. It's the means by which all our food is produced. Ever other industry changes its practices in accordance with changing technology, demand, demographics etc. Farming isn't special.

Actually it is special. Because of biodiversity, ecology etc. Its not just any old business

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:28 pm 

Liathroidigloine wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:

This.

They’re hobby farmers and if it’s not their primary wage they’re better off pursuing their main job for themselves and the sake of rural Ireland.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:29 pm 

sewa wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Actually it is special. Because of biodiversity, ecology etc. Its not just any old business

You’re not familiar with Irish farming then?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:31 pm 

paddyor wrote:
sewa wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

You’re not familiar with Irish farming then?

I am not a farmer no, however I do live in the countryside when I am at home and I like to see trees and animals in fields. Not bloody solar panel farms

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:33 pm 

Farming isn't great for biodiversity. You want that, then you want untended meadows full of wildflower, and wild woodlands of deciduous trees. Not tilled fields dedicated to monocultures of crops or grass fed livestock.

Last edited by Nolanator on Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:33 pm 

Liathroidigloine wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:

This.

So what we pay culchies MORE welfare to farm? You're an accountant FFS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:36 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Farming isn't great for biodiversity. You want that, then you want untended meadows full of wildflower, and wild woodlands of deciduous trees. Not tilled fields dedicated to monocultures of crops or grass fed livestock.

Agreed but there is quite a bit of land being reforested and other land being set aside

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:36 pm 

sewa wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Agreed but there is quite a bit of land being reforested and other land being set aside

With conifers?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:37 pm 

sewa wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Farming is terrible for biodiversity and ecology.

By rights this country should be one big forest but no doubt you also condemn Brazil. Europe can have it's farms on the cleared forests but not South America?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:38 pm 

sewa wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Yeah. Lets pump that fertilizer into the ground, lets start pumping methane up the atmosphere and sure you know whats great craic? Poisoning the odd eagle also.

R-e-s-p-e-c-t-

b-i-o-d-i-v-e-r-s-i-t-y

That's what it means to me

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:38 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
sewa wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

With conifers?

Bingo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:40 pm 

We should ban containerisation of the ports too.
And automated cars to stop drivers losing their jobs.
Also coopers should get money to produce barrels.

No? Just farmers? Thought so

Last edited by Mullet 2 on Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:40 pm 

Is blockading businesses legal in a dispute like this in ireland?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:45 pm 

paddyor wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:

This.

They’re hobby farmers and if it’s not their primary wage they’re better off pursuing their main job for themselves and the sake of rural Ireland.

You are desperately wrong. I know dozens of them through my work and they would definitely not be better off nor would rural Ireland.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:50 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:

This.

Yeah and I know that this is a high cost economy yet we expect our farmers to produce the highest quality food at the same price as low cost economies with far worse animal welfare practices. That doesn't work. Pay a fair price to the farmers and if that means that meat goes up by 50c a kilo then that's fair.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:51 pm 

Liathroidigloine wrote:

You are desperately wrong. I know dozens of them through my work and they would definitely not be better off nor would rural Ireland.

Everyone should have to live in a crappy flat or townhouse with constant traffic outside and junkies shooting up down in the alleyway

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:52 pm 

Lets not forget - they are all only in business because they get taxpayer welfare - CAP

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:52 pm 

Or, instead of setting minimum pricing to support an outdated practice, farmers here modernise their practices to bring down the unit price of meat by making the production more efficient.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:53 pm 

nardol wrote:
sewa wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Yeah. Lets pump that fertilizer into the ground, lets start pumping methane up the atmosphere and sure you know whats great craic? Poisoning the odd eagle also.

R-e-s-p-e-c-t-

b-i-o-d-i-v-e-r-s-i-t-y

That's what it means to me

That's how sewage want's to be disposed of, laid out out on a hill with his veins filled with poison so he can take a few white tailed Eagles with him.

Liathroidigloine wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:

This.

Yeah and I know that this is a high cost economy yet we expect our farmers to produce the highest quality food at the same price as low cost economies with far worse animal welfare practices. That doesn't work. Pay a fair price to the farmers and if that means that meat goes up by 50c a kilo then that's fair.

Ehhh the CAP basically prevents food that we CAN produce in europe coming in from low cost economies. The Argetina deal is a spot in the ocean.

Last edited by nardol on Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sewa wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:

Everyone should have to live in a crappy flat or townhouse with constant traffic outside and junkies shooting up down in the alleyway

Well done. There are only two options. Farms or inner city ghettos.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:55 pm 

Shouldn't have one off housing in the first place.

Go live in your local town - now that's how you save rural Ireland.

Slightly appalled of what sewa thinks of ireland's lovely small towns and villages.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:58 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
sewa wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:

I've lived in three large cities in my life so I know what city life is like. How many of you have spent time on farms? I suspect there are lots commenting on something that they no nothing about.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:01 pm 

nardol wrote:
Shouldn't have one off housing in the first place.

Go live in your local town - now that's how you save rural Ireland.

I grew up in a one-off house. It's great. No neighbours. It comes with set-backs compared to urban areas that you just have to accept. Septic tank for sewage which occasionally malfunctioned in floods. My parents and the residents along the lane pitched in together on a sewerage scheme, which was supported by the CoCo. We had dial-up internet until the late 2000s, at best. Even now, the broadband connection is crap compared to anything I've had since moving out. Had the occasional traveller calling at the door while one goes around the back. House was broken into years ago after an extension, but before the new alarm system was installed. Place occasionally smells of shit when they spread slurry on the silage field across the lane. Needed to be driven to friends houses through school years, none of my friends lived close by.

Wouldn't change it at all, but you just have to accept certain things when you live in rural areas.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:02 pm 

Liathroidigloine wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
sewa wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:

I've lived in three large cities in my life so I know what city life is like. How many of you have spent time on farms? I suspect there are lots commenting on something that they no nothing about.

Mother is from farming stock in the golden vale area of tipp - spent 2 months every summer there. Have a fair idea.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1462, 1463, 1464, 1465, 1466, 1467, 1468 ... 1480  Next