Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:51 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1478, 1479, 1480, 1481, 1482, 1483, 1484 ... 1531  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:18 am 

We'll probably be house hunting in the next year or two, any piece or advice or anything useful would be really appreciated?

The major piece of advice I've heard is to harass the solicitors on a daily basis to speed things up.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:19 am 

MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:
We'll probably be house hunting in the next year or two, any piece or advice or anything useful would be really appreciated?

The major piece of advice I've heard is to harass the solicitors on a daily basis to speed things up.

Solicitors are a law unto themselves

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:25 am 

Mullet 2 wrote:
MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:

Solicitors are cúnts

Fixed the typo for you.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:28 am 

MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:

That rings through with what a friend in the business tells me about the solicitors he has to deal with. Don't know if it's laziness, incompetence or they're taking on too much work but either way they seem to slow the process down so much.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:33 am 

Money stats, it's purely about money and making it look like they do something for it, is what I've heard.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:35 am 

MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:

I moved into my place in April, was a FTB.

Best advice I could give would be to use a mortgage broker, they will have contacts in the banks and just make everything easier, we used Mortgage Horizons and really couldn't give them a high enough recommendation.

Second piece of advice is just persevere. It's a horrible process, it takes forever, you'll want to give up but keep going to viewings, keep calling estate agents, just keep at it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:35 am 

CM11 wrote:
MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:

That rings through with what a friend in the business tells me about the solicitors he has to deal with. Don't know if it's laziness, incompetence or they're taking on too much work but either way they seem to slow the process down so much.

It's incredible how much business is held up by them.

I've had secretaries tell me a guy is golfing twice in one week.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:36 am 

danthefan wrote:
MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:

Best advice I could give would be to use a mortgage broker, they will have contacts in the banks and just make everything easier, we used Mortgage Horizons and really couldn't give them a high enough recommendation.

Second piece of advice is just persevere. It's a horrible process, it takes forever, you'll want to give up but keep going to viewings, keep calling estate agents, just keep at it.

Gay

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:48 am 

danthefan wrote:
MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:51 am 

MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:

So I bought last year. In the following order I'd do the following which include the correcting of mistakes I made:

- Got to the bank and get approval in principle
- start viewing and bidding. This can take months as so 3 beds are in demand and there are a lot of queues out the houses on viewing days
- Get a quote from a solicitor early and tell him you're actively looking
- Once your bid is accepted and goes to sale agreed, pay holding deposit let solicitor know and give solicitor details to seller agent. House how goes to Sale agreed. Holding deposit is refundable if deal falls through.
- Let bank know. You will have to supply all the details again you supplied when getting approval in principle.
- Get mortgage protection insurance now. Shop around different banks and insurance providers( I left it late and it delayed closing the deal by a month)
- Get a surveyor into check the property to see if the property needs work or if what you're buying is going to take a lot of work over time. This will cost about €600
- Bank will issue letter of loan to solicitor. He /She will call you in and will get you to sign contracts. You will have to pay 10% deposit which includes the holding deposit you already paid. The balance of that. Once you sign contracts you're locked in and the seller is locked in. If you pull out now, you lose your deposit.
- Solicitor will perform searches. This takes about a month
- When searches are complete and bank is happy that you have the mortgage protection insurance as well as building insurance, they will draw down the loan and give it to solicitor
- Solicitor will set up a cash account and ask you to transfer the remainder of what is owed, stamp duty, mortgage registration fee, solicitor fee, miscellaneous outlay etc
-Solicitor gets keys after he/she transfers money to sellers solicitor account, then gives the keys to you.
- Solicitor gives stamp duty to revenue , gets stamp then registers your house with registry of deeds and land registry

You move in job done.

Took me 5 months. from sale agreed.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:55 am 

EverReady wrote:
themaddog wrote:

That tweet from the fat fück is as good an example of why we should run away from a united Ireland as any. That cünt is one of the Protestant communities leaders! Unbelievable when you read down through it. He utterly hates us and that ain't worth having to reconcile

But the old cúnt will be dead in a few years, hopefully.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:57 am 

There aint gonna be no crowds at the viewings

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:01 am 

Mullet 2 wrote:
There aint gonna be no crowds at the viewings

Glad I got out when I did. A friend is selling his Pre 63 and the only interest is from some fund buying up loads of them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:05 am 

Mullet 2 wrote:
MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:

Solicitors are a law unto themselves

Aye, conveyancing is a joke. A lot of them take the piss in terms of how long it takes.

Find one who did things quickly for somebody you know.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:53 am 

iarmhiman wrote:
MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:

So I bought last year. In the following order I'd do the following which include the correcting of mistakes I made:

- start viewing and bidding. This can take months as so 3 beds are in demand and there are a lot of queues out the houses on viewing days
- Once your bid is accepted and goes to sale agreed, pay holding deposit let solicitor know and give solicitor details to seller agent. House how goes to Sale agreed. Holding deposit is refundable if deal falls through.
- Let bank know. You will have to supply all the details again you supplied when getting approval in principle.
- Get mortgage protection insurance now. Shop around different banks and insurance providers( I left it late and it delayed closing the deal by a month)
- Get a surveyor into check the property to see if the property needs work or if what you're buying is going to take a lot of work over time. This will cost about €600
- Bank will issue letter of loan to solicitor. He /She will call you in and will get you to sign contracts. You will have to pay 10% deposit which includes the holding deposit you already paid. The balance of that. Once you sign contracts you're locked in and the seller is locked in. If you pull out now, you lose your deposit.
- When searches are complete and bank is happy that you have the mortgage protection insurance as well as building insurance, they will draw down the loan and give it to solicitor
- Solicitor will set up a cash account and ask you to transfer the remainder of what is owed, stamp duty, mortgage registration fee, solicitor fee, miscellaneous outlay etc
-Solicitor gets keys after he/she transfers money to sellers solicitor account, then gives the keys to you.
- Solicitor gives stamp duty to revenue , gets stamp then registers your house with registry of deeds and land registry

You move in job done.

You mention mortgage protection insurance several times, is that now required by the banks? I never had it on my first house and am buying another house in a years time

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:13 am 

Mullet 2 wrote:
Luckycharmer wrote:
Property types, how do you find out when a house was first listed for sale?

As in how longs it's been on the market?

For obvious reasons they don't like to tell you that.

Yep want to find out how long a house has been on the market, can only see the refresh date but is there any way to see when it was first put on the market?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:17 am 

Luckycharmer wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
Luckycharmer wrote:

Yep want to find out how long a house has been on the market, can only see the refresh date but is there any way to see when it was first put on the market?

You can call and ask the agent

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:20 am 

Mullet 2 wrote:
Luckycharmer wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
Luckycharmer wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Picks himself off ground.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:24 am 

camroc1 wrote:

Exactly my reaction too

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:24 am 

The Sun God wrote:
EverReady wrote:
themaddog wrote:

That tweet from the fat fück is as good an example of why we should run away from a united Ireland as any. That cünt is one of the Protestant communities leaders! Unbelievable when you read down through it. He utterly hates us and that ain't worth having to reconcile

But the old cúnt will be dead in a few years, hopefully.

The sad fúcker has doubled down on his stupidity since.

https://twitter.com/KilclooneyJohn/stat ... 4141398016

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:27 am 

sewa wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:

You move in job done.

You mention mortgage protection insurance several times, is that now required by the banks? I never had it on my first house and am buying another house in a years time

It was required for me and I went with Ulster Bank

You buying in Netherlands?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:29 am 

iarmhiman wrote:
sewa wrote:

I wish, Limerick :|

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:31 am 

sewa wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
sewa wrote:

Moving home or buying to rent out?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:33 am 

iarmhiman wrote:
sewa wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:

You move in job done.

It's compulsory for mortgages for homes in Ireland I thought. Tied up with the "family home" legislation; ensures that the bank gets paid the balance in the event of death and that the surviving spouse is under no risk of the bank looking for repossession should he/she not have wherewithal to keep up payments.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:38 am 

Probably one of the better requirements TBF.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:38 am 

camroc1 wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
Luckycharmer wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
Luckycharmer wrote:

So the answer is No way :lol: Did see the same property was bought at the height of the recession 2011 for €200k less than current asking price. I did go to see a property recently a 3 bed in Rathfanham and there must have been 20 people there at the viewing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:05 pm 

iarmhiman wrote:
MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:

You move in job done.

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:08 pm 

iarmhiman wrote:
sewa wrote:

Wife wants to move home, will rent out Cork to my nephew and keep the box room for myself when passing through.

On the insurance there is several types, there is obviously life insurance which is essential. I opted out of the additional serious illness cover to keep costs down.

You can get another insurance (is this payment protection?) that pays a % of your wages for a period if laid off or out of work, my understanding of this is its useless for contractors as we are highly likely to have periods out of work and as such it is very difficult to get a claim paid out.

Last edited by sewa on Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:13 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
Luckycharmer wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
Luckycharmer wrote:

Ask a silly question lads

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:05 pm 

sewa wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
sewa wrote:

Wife wants to move home, will rent out Cork to my nephew and keep the box room for myself when passing through.

On the insurance there is several types, there is obviously life insurance which is essential. I opted out of the additional serious illness cover to keep costs down.

You can get another insurance (is this payment protection?) that pays a % of your wages for a period if laid off or out of work, my understanding of this is its useless for contractors as we are highly likely to have periods out of work and as such it is very difficult to get a claim paid out.

I have the one where if I get sick and have to leave work, the insurance will cover my mortgage repayments. That's on top of the mortgage protection insurance which means if I die,Irish Life pay off the remainder and my family get the property without taking on any debt.

My employer does the one you're talking about where they pay a % of my salary for a fixed period but only if I get sick.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:25 pm 

iarmhiman wrote:
sewa wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
sewa wrote:

I have the one where if I get sick and have to leave work, the insurance will cover my mortgage repayments. That's on top of the mortgage protection insurance which means if I die,Irish Life pay off the remainder and my family get the property without taking on any debt.

My employer does the one you're talking about where they pay a % of my salary for a fixed period but only if I get sick.

That's called Income Protection and is well worth having. Normally pays out up to 2/3rds of your salary but after a fixed period (13 or 26 weeks would be normal). It's good if you get an illness that prevents you from working for a long period of time. I know someone who is getting paid by this for the last 8 years.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:15 pm 

75% would be the norm for income protection in the public sector. They pay out the balance from the point you go on half pay and take away the illness benefit. Not a huge cost to them really. You generally then go on pension rate of pay after no pay so they still make up the balance. That can be up to two years. It is only then the insurer is picking up most of the 75% minus the illness benefit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:42 pm 

EverReady wrote:
75% would be the norm for income protection in the public sector. They pay out the balance from the point you go on half pay and take away the illness benefit. Not a huge cost to them really. You generally then go on pension rate of pay after no pay so they still make up the balance. That can be up to two years. It is only then the insurer is picking up most of the 75% minus the illness benefit

This a benefit for PS workers or do they have to contribute?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:26 pm 

HighKingLeinster wrote:
EverReady wrote:

I sense laughing and picking up off ground again in the near future

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:03 pm 

What's the story with the stuff in Citywest? Gangs, or just idiots disagreeing in a public manner?

The video is gas. Guy is pulled from the car and some random scummer in trakkies does a slide tackle into him on the ground. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:13 pm 

MunsterMan!!!!! wrote:

get a clear timeline and checklist of what they need to do to get the closing done on the date you want obviously for a fixed fee - tell them the builders are booked to come in the day after closing so there's no - "a sure, we're working towards that date but...." also they'll charge you a different rate for out of pocket costs for title review or some bollix - when I got the final bill (which they take from closing proceeds) they had charged the higher rate, I questioned it and got back, oh there must have been some mistake - here's the 1k back

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:18 pm 

nardol wrote:
HighKingLeinster wrote:
EverReady wrote:

I sense laughing and picking up off ground again in the near future

:lol: :lol: its bloody pricey - mine costs about 300 a month, doesn't pay out for 6 months and its about half my fcukin salary is all I;d get

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:42 pm 

HighKingLeinster wrote:
EverReady wrote:

No you have to pay a private provider but it is a corporate deal. Mine was Friends First through a broker which is now Aviva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:29 pm 

ticketlessinseattle wrote:

:lol: :lol: its bloody pricey - mine costs about 300 a month, doesn't pay out for 6 months and its about half my fcukin salary is all I;d get

That seems way out of whack, dunno your personal circumstances obviously but it shouldn't be that much.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:50 pm 

Yeah I pay 78 quid a month for decent cover

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1478, 1479, 1480, 1481, 1482, 1483, 1484 ... 1531  Next