Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1508, 1509, 1510, 1511, 1512, 1513, 1514 ... 1531  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 35744
And a picture of Liberty Hall from the 60s showing how the use of non-reflective glass made the building transparent.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 33886
Location: Pigdogistan
It still looks shit, Cam.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 35744
Each to their own.

If you want a remaining example of a poor office building of the era, look no further than the Irish Life centre on Abbey Strret/Beresford place complete with moat.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 17849
Are you arguing for or against the beauty of liberty hall?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am
Posts: 22404
nardol wrote:



It's not boring.

Certainly not modelled on a council flat complex


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am
Posts: 22404
camroc1 wrote:
Each to their own.

If you want a remaining example of a poor office building of the era, look no further than the Irish Life centre on Abbey Strret/Beresford place complete with moat.



I bet you two pints in Crowes Bordies prefer the Irish Life Centre


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10907
Location: #68
Mullet 2 wrote:
Blackrock Bullet wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
Game? As in posting images provided by the Developer themselves?

What game exactly are we playing? You're of course the lad who told us Capital Dock would look grand.


It's Ballymore, their developments have all been to a good standard, including Dublin Landings.



And? The buildings are hideous.

The name of the builder won't make them not hideous.


I don’t see them as hideous. You’ve been very selective on the renders there. They are pretty standard of what is going up in London and major US cities.

The builder is important as like with Capital Dock, they can cheap out. Kennedy Wilson are known for that.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10907
Location: #68
nardol wrote:
That the JP Morgan building?

I don't mind it. Its not like its liberty hall or something.


The problem with it is that they were allowed to downgrade the finish on the windows and the concrete block facing the city.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10907
Location: #68
Mullet 2 wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
Each to their own.

If you want a remaining example of a poor office building of the era, look no further than the Irish Life centre on Abbey Strret/Beresford place complete with moat.



I bet you two pints in Crowes Bordies prefer the Irish Life Centre


Only because it is dwarfed by Liberty Hall.

Whatever about the opinion on the aesthetics even from the outside, I think everyone is agreed that it is a disgrace that SIPTU have sat and done nothing to it for years.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am
Posts: 22404
Blackrock Bullet wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
Blackrock Bullet wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
Game? As in posting images provided by the Developer themselves?

What game exactly are we playing? You're of course the lad who told us Capital Dock would look grand.


It's Ballymore, their developments have all been to a good standard, including Dublin Landings.



And? The buildings are hideous.

The name of the builder won't make them not hideous.


I don’t see them as hideous. You’ve been very selective on the renders there. They are pretty standard of what is going up in London and major US cities.

The builder is important as like with Capital Dock, they can cheap out. Kennedy Wilson are known for that.


Trends in architecture don't dictate good taste,

Liberty Hall, Apollo House, Hawkins House were all of a time with their contempratories in London too and it makes them no less hideous.

There is no selectiveness about it, those are the renders they themselves have chose. Nor it is exclusively a render problem. The symmetry and pacing of the windows is also shit.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am
Posts: 22404
Spoiler: show
Image


I have no problem at all with this building and think the refurb has been very successful and provided a fine civic square.

The issue architects have is that much like journalists they consider themselves bohemian types and therefore all the way back to my time in college bemoaned "the mote" that Cam has faithfully parroted.

The same people moan that the apartments in the first phase in the IFSC don't integrate more with the junkies and winos that would have stop the place ever becoming gentrified.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10907
Location: #68
You have though, I don't see the issue with this;

Image
Image

This is the kind of finish on London City Island, which is similar (but far more colourful, which is ain't) and Ballymore;

Spoiler: show
Image
Image


Dublin Landings looks great. I'd have a lot of faith in Ballymore. What would you like, the kind of stuff at Sir John Rogerson's Quay?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 35744
Mullet 2 wrote:
Blackrock Bullet wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
Blackrock Bullet wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
Game? As in posting images provided by the Developer themselves?

What game exactly are we playing? You're of course the lad who told us Capital Dock would look grand.


It's Ballymore, their developments have all been to a good standard, including Dublin Landings.



And? The buildings are hideous.

The name of the builder won't make them not hideous.


I don’t see them as hideous. You’ve been very selective on the renders there. They are pretty standard of what is going up in London and major US cities.

The builder is important as like with Capital Dock, they can cheap out. Kennedy Wilson are known for that.


Trends in architecture don't dictate good taste,

Liberty Hall, Apollo House, Hawkins House were all of a time with their contempratories in London too and it makes them no less hideous.

There is no selectiveness about it, those are the renders they themselves have chose. Nor it is exclusively a render problem. The symmetry and pacing of the windows is also shit.

Apollo House, Hawkins House and College House were spec. developments by a London based spec developer using commercial London Architects whose only idea was to maximise commercial square footage.

Liberty Hall was bespoke designed for the ITGWU and its specific requirements.

They are completely different animals.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am
Posts: 22404
Again it's completely disingenuous to pick a street level cafe shot and one of the only building I said looks fine.

You're deliberately avoiding the point.


That's for you Brock. Cam would believe the OLD ESB HQ was great if some prick in the Irish times told him it won a design award.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 29775
Look at all the cyclists in those renders mullet


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am
Posts: 22404
Duff Paddy wrote:
Look at all the cyclists in those renders mullet



How much you wanna bet they have no cycling signs all around that plaza when it's done? :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am
Posts: 22404
And when myself and Brock say Render we mean the external finish of the building not the image type of render.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 29775
Mullet 2 wrote:
And when myself and Brock say Render we mean the external finish of the building not the image type of render.

Is that not the cladding


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am
Posts: 22404
Duff Paddy wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
And when myself and Brock say Render we mean the external finish of the building not the image type of render.

Is that not the cladding


Cladding and render is not exactly the same but pretty much


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 33886
Location: Pigdogistan
That Irish Life building isn't the nicest looking, but at least it's got some more interesting lines than Liberty Hall. Not sure about the sepia tinged reflective windows.

I've often wondered about that moat while waiting for a bus along there. What's the thinking behind it? Keep the plebs out but call it a "feature"?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10907
Location: #68
Mullet 2 wrote:
Again it's completely disingenuous to pick a street level cafe shot and one of the only building I said looks fine.

You're deliberately avoiding the point.


That's for you Brock. Cam would believe the OLD ESB HQ was great if some prick in the Irish times told him it won a design award.


I'm not. You are picking a shot that compares existing street scapes (including damp footpaths) to a far away render. Ballymore's efforts have all been to a high quality finish, the results here and elsewhere show that.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10907
Location: #68
Duff Paddy wrote:
Look at all the cyclists in those renders mullet


Well joking aside, it is going to have an insane amount of spaces for cyclists.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 9:43 am
Posts: 22404
Blackrock Bullet wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
Again it's completely disingenuous to pick a street level cafe shot and one of the only building I said looks fine.

You're deliberately avoiding the point.


That's for you Brock. Cam would believe the OLD ESB HQ was great if some prick in the Irish times told him it won a design award.


I'm not. You are picking a shot that compares existing street scapes (including damp footpaths) to a far away render. Ballymore's efforts have all been to a high quality finish, the results here and elsewhere show that.



So how it will actually look instead of t-shirt bedecked Indian lads on bikes then? :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:47 pm
Posts: 3258
Blackrock Bullet wrote:
You have though, I don't see the issue with this;

Image
Image

This is the kind of finish on London City Island, which is similar (but far more colourful, which is ain't) and Ballymore;

Spoiler: show
Image
Image


Dublin Landings looks great. I'd have a lot of faith in Ballymore. What would you like, the kind of stuff at Sir John Rogerson's Quay?

Is that first picture meant to be from the perspective of someone who's severely cross-eyed or something? It's hurting my brain to look at it


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10907
Location: #68
It will look similar to what I posted above at London City Island.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 17849
Why is that fker cycling in a pedestrian zone?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 29775
nardol wrote:
Why is that fker cycling in a pedestrian zone?


It’s okay he works for Google


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:07 pm
Posts: 7085
They will fudge up the brick finish and it'll look shit.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:58 am
Posts: 20183
Duff Paddy wrote:
nardol wrote:
Why is that fker cycling in a pedestrian zone?


It’s okay he works for Google

And the bike is actually powered by his own smug sense of self-satisfaction


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18905
Nolanator wrote:
That Irish Life building isn't the nicest looking, but at least it's got some more interesting lines than Liberty Hall. Not sure about the sepia tinged reflective windows.

I've often wondered about that moat while waiting for a bus along there. What's the thinking behind it? Keep the plebs out but call it a "feature"?

Have to say that I'm with mullet on this. The stuff going up now is so generic and will date quickly.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:10 pm
Posts: 636
I see Pa Whelan son has bought Kieleys


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 29775
Onelostbear wrote:
I see Pa Whelan son has bought Kieleys


Interesting. Can’t ever see it making the money it used to make but you never know


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 29775
HighKingLeinster wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
nardol wrote:
Why is that fker cycling in a pedestrian zone?


It’s okay he works for Google

And the bike is actually powered by his own smug sense of self-satisfaction


:lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:10 pm
Posts: 636
Duff Paddy wrote:
Onelostbear wrote:
I see Pa Whelan son has bought Kieleys


Interesting. Can’t ever see it making the money it used to make but you never know


am sure he will knock it and start again maybe keep the licence


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 29775
Onelostbear wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
Onelostbear wrote:
I see Pa Whelan son has bought Kieleys


Interesting. Can’t ever see it making the money it used to make but you never know


am sure he will knock it and start again maybe keep the licence


Very valuable site. The pub building doesn’t work - way too big.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 51636
Duff Paddy wrote:
Onelostbear wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
Onelostbear wrote:
I see Pa Whelan son has bought Kieleys


Interesting. Can’t ever see it making the money it used to make but you never know


am sure he will knock it and start again maybe keep the licence


Very valuable site. The pub building doesn’t work - way too big.


A decent outside sitting area would work very well there. Whatever they do has to have a serious draw because once Leinster left, it's actually a pretty shit location for a pub.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 35744
Asylum seekers, you say.

And not economic migrants ?

Quote:
Nine of the 16 migrants found in the back of a truck trailer on a ferry sailing to Ireland midweek are now unaccounted for.

Nine of the adult males in the group had left their accommodation by Friday night and their whereabouts were unknown this weekend.

The group were found in the back of a trailer being towed by an Irish-owned lorry on the Cherbourg-Rosslare sailing that departed France on Wednesday night and arrived in Co Wexford on Thursday afternoon......

......Garda sources told The Irish Times the 15 men and one minor believed the trailer they got into in France, likely close to Cherbourg, was being towed by a truck destined for Britain, not Ireland.

The same sources said as Britain was their intended destination it was now strongly suspected the nine men unaccounted for had left their accommodation with a view to going to the UK.

That could involve stowing away on a second ferry from the Republic or the North bound for Britain or they may seek to travel into the North in a bid to claim asylum there.



https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social- ... -1.4093400


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 25412
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social- ... 4?mode=amp

This type of shit is why I have moved from the supposed left. So it is not McVerry's responsibility with his reserves. It is the shop owner with piss all over his doorway waking up scagged out users. The McVerry Trust went from having 13 million in reserves in 2017 to 24 million in 2018. What are they doing with that war chest. Fück all is the answer. And the other homeless charities are also building up lovely reserves though none as bad as McVerry. He is an utter charlatan and a brilliant example of how some people are too big to be questioned


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 29775
EverReady wrote:
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/dublin-shop-seeks-permission-to-erect-shutters-to-stop-homeless-sleeping-in-doorway-1.4093414?mode=amp

This type of shit is why I have moved from the supposed left. So it is not McVerry's responsibility with his reserves. It is the shop owner with piss all over his doorway waking up scagged out users. The McVerry Trust went from having 13 million in reserves in 2017 to 24 million in 2018. What are they doing with that war chest. Fück all is the answer. And the other homeless charities are also building up lovely reserves though none as bad as McVerry. He is an utter charlatan and a brilliant example of how some people are too big to be questioned


It’s f**king shocking. I see people without an arse in their trousers donating to big charities - I won’t name names - and they don’t realise that a lot of these charities have €10m+ war chests basically on deposit. Now a lot of charity workers are well paid, often the CEO is an ex political hack, and I’ve no problem with that a they are big organisations and you need to pay the market rate to get good people - but the massive war chests are very hard to justify whilst they are still soliciting donations from people who are basically broke.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 29775
Quote:
It would be of more benefit to all if business leaders could engage with the homeless agencies and the city council with a view to enhancing the dignity and the life experience of those who use their doorways rather than engaging in this type of unsympathetic action.”


Don’t really know what they expect the shop owners to do? We have so many homeless agencies that they are tripping over each other.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1508, 1509, 1510, 1511, 1512, 1513, 1514 ... 1531  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 18ChinsOfChinatown, A5D5E5, Banana Man, Boobs not Moobs, feckwanker, Flockwitt, Flyin Ryan, Google Adsense [Bot], Lenny, Lobby, SamShark, Sefton, Snooze, ticketlessinseattle, True Blue, Zakar and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group