Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:44 pm 

This is the script:

The Wallabies come out full of heart and courage and play well and look strong. And the All Blacks are like, "ohhh... hold on ... I think these guys are actually serious about this game. Okay lads, engage Terminator mode". Game over.

It's becoming boringly predictable.

Congratulations New Zealand. In all seriousness, it's an amazing feat in world sports, comparable only to the USA basketball team. The fact the New Zealand do it with such a small country and population is astounding. Considering that, they're truly probably the best sporting side of any sport in the world, in history. Kudos.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:45 pm 

Actually the universe.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:45 pm 

The main text of your post is good but the title is wrong. What is boring is that none of the opposition have raised their game.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:46 pm 

Becoming? :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:46 pm 

mr bungle wrote:
Actually the universe.

Well, we don't know that for sure. The sheer chance of mathematical probability .... ah f-ck it. You're probably right.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:48 pm 

I, for one, look forward to another fun-filled fred from our resident numpty. How many ‘clarifications’ will e required?

Kiwias wrote:
The main text of your post is good but the title is wrong. What is boring is that none of the opposition have raised their game.

Go on then. Rub it in

Is finger-wagging a national sport or something?

Mog The Almighty wrote:
This is the script:

The Wallabies come out full of heart and courage and play well and look strong. And the All Blacks are like, "ohhh... hold on ... I think these guys are actually serious about this game. Okay lads, engage Terminator mode". Game over.

It's becoming boringly predictable.

Congratulations New Zealand. In all seriousness, it's an amazing feat in world sports, comparable only to the USA basketball team. The fact the New Zealand do it with such a small country and population is astounding. Considering that, they're truly probably the best sporting side of any sport in the world, in history. Kudos.

ermmm, we're quite ruling the world in handball ....

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:49 pm 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
Actually the universe.

Well, we don't know that for sure. The sheer chance of mathematical probability .... ah f-ck it. You're probably right.

Ah yes, the Boltzmans brains idea. Somewhere out there Wales are world champions!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:49 pm 

It's like watching nz vs Australia in the league.. inevitably Australia win it as they are too good

Would've been better for the comp if the aussies had won tonight. .eden park next week inevitable flop now

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:50 pm 

shanky wrote:
Kiwias wrote:

Go on then. Rub it in

I would far prefer tight matches but what do you want the ABs to do about it?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:50 pm 

As an All Blacks fan it has been great but as a rugby fan this is damaging the game, someone else better win the World Cup.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:51 pm 

Kiwias wrote:

This is a bit of a sour response.

NZ's domination is a real problem for both the RC and Super Rugby. Not NZ's fault, obviously, but it does make it a lot less exciting.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:52 pm 

Kiwias wrote:
shanky wrote:
Kiwias wrote:

Go on then. Rub it in

I would far prefer tight matches but what do you want the ABs to do about it?

Nothing. The ABs are magnificent

I’d prefer some of your crew acted with a little bit of grace after winning though

We’re shit. National rugby is dead here. Hooray, you win once and for all

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:53 pm 

I'm in a bar full of ockers and they're all claiming the Wallabies only lost because their best talent are in AFL and NRL. Chin up MOG the scoreline isnt reflective of the teams abilities at all. I'm sure you guys will beat us at least once this season.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:54 pm 

Ireland and England are going to be enough of a challange.

It's only boring with Aus because they don't have the cattle.

I was bloody impressed with the Wobblies tonight and thought it would end up a lot closer.

BlueThunder wrote:
As an All Blacks fan it has been great but as a rugby fan this is damaging the game, someone else better win the World Cup.

That's an admirably humble response.

However, I do think that the best team deserves to win. Nobody wants to see the best team lose on the night due to <whatever>. I wouldn't have been happy to see the Wallabies score two fluke intercept tries and get the benefit of a bad referring call and win that game. It would be totally empty. And I do agree with Kiwias to an extent. I think all the other teams have hugely improved, none more so than Ireland. But even this Wallaby side would be world beaters ten years ago. It's just the rate of improvement in the All Blacks is consistently ahead of everyone else.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:55 pm 

Haka needs tweaking but we did alright in the game

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:59 pm 

Well, I spent the afternoon with at least 10,000 other grass roots supporters watching the Shute Shield

They flew the flag at half mast ‘for Aretha Franklin’ and we had pies and beer.

Meanwhile, I’ll have to pay an extra $50 rego on my son’s game, to fund Hooper’s $1.2m a year

They can stick it up their arse. Let’s withdraw from playing NZ and make both nations happy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:02 pm 

Kahu wrote:
I'm in a bar full of ockers and they're all claiming the Wallabies only lost because their best talent are in AFL and NRL. Chin up MOG the scoreline isnt reflective of the teams abilities at all. I'm sure you guys will beat us at least once this season.

That's one of the worst arguments ever. Tell them to pull their heads in.

It's a competition to see who has the best rugby team. Not a competition to see who, in theory, if all their population played rugby, might be better. It's a rugby game, not a national population contest. China and India could play the All Blacks and get slaughtered all day and say, "well that's only because not everyone here plays rugby". Maybe true, but who gives a f-ck?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:05 pm 

shanky wrote:
Well, I spent the afternoon with at least 10,000 other grass roots supporters watching the Shute Shield

Meanwhile, I’ll have to pay an extra $50 rego on my son’s game, to fund Hooper’s $1.2m a year

They can stick it up their arse. Let’s withdraw from playing NZ and make both nations happy

Seems a bit harsh. Australia put their heart into it. No disgrace losing to this NZ team, they're pretty dominant in case you haven't noticed.

It's not good for the game though if we're all being honest.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:07 pm 

True Blue wrote:
shanky wrote:

Seems a bit harsh. Australia put their heart into it. No disgrace losing to this NZ team, they're pretty dominant in case you haven't noticed.

Tbf there isn't a huge amount the ABs can do about it

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:08 pm 

True Blue wrote:
shanky wrote:

I'm not sure it is.

Dominant players and teams in other sports seem to be able to correlate with growth in the game. Tiger Woods, Ferguson's Man U, and Jordan's Bulls are examples.

Last edited by Sonny Blount on Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:10 pm 

True Blue wrote:
shanky wrote:

I’m not blaming the players. At all. They tried.

The elite/pro game here is dead. It’s the administrators that I blame. Overpaying stars to stay here, while milking the lower-down schmucks.

All so we can listen to our kiwi colleagues telling us we’re shit on Monday morning

Yuk.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:12 pm 

I'm not even sure it's not good for the game. Rugby has never been more popular, internationally. And speaking from someone who lives in a foreign country, in a small rugby culture, foreigners l-l-l-l-loooove the All Blacks. A bunch of total badasses, covered in Maori tattoos, playing in total black, doing wardances before the game and smashing everyone. The absolutely lap it up. I'm not sure if it was England vs Scotland playing close games they'd be that impressed by rugby. Maybe. I dunno.

It's probably not good for rugby in Australia though. Evidenced by the fact that rugby was never more popular in Australia than when Rod Maqueen's Wallaby side were kicking ass. But I want to see the game played at it's peak, and that's where I want Australia to be in rugby. For fudge's sake, in the time that Australia went from world-beaters (2000ish) to now, Ireland have gone from "competitive with semi-professional Argentina" to the only serious threat against the All Blacks. If they can do it, so can anyone else.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:14 pm 

Sonny Blount wrote:
True Blue wrote:
shanky wrote:

I'm not sure it is.

Dominant players and teams in other sports seem to be able to correlate with growth in the game. Tiger Woods, Ferguson's Man U, and Jordan's Bulls are examples.

And how has Super Rugby and the RC fared?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:15 pm 

BlueThunder wrote:

fudge off, only thing boring about rugby is the lack of imagination of trying to beat the all blacks.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:17 pm 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
I'm not even sure it's not good for the game. Rugby has never been more popular, internationally. And speaking from someone who lives in a foreign country, in a small rugby culture, foreigners l-l-l-l-loooove the All Blacks. A bunch of total badasses, covered in Maori tattoos, playing in total black, doing wardances before the game and smashing everyone. The absolutely lap it up. I'm not sure if it was England vs Scotland playing close games they'd be that impressed by rugby. Maybe. I dunno.

It's probably not good for rugby in Australia though. Evidenced by the fact that rugby was never more popular in Australia than when Rod Maqueen's Wallaby side were kicking ass. But I want to see the game played at it's peak, and that's where I want Australia to be in rugby. For fudge's sake, in the time that Australia went from world-beaters (2000ish) to now, Ireland have gone from "competitive with semi-professional Argentina" to the only serious threat against the All Blacks. If they can do it, so can anyone else.

You’re out of the country. You can’t see what we see.

The ARU, in response for a call for change, recently appointed Shore old boy and rugby ‘insider’, Phil Waugh, to the board.

It’s about how many snouts can they fit in the fvcking trough before the trough disappears once and for all.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:18 pm 

A bit doom and gloom no?

This is a very good AB side, and the Wobs are certainly a lot better than last year. They chanced their arm today and went all out for 30-35min, then things just started opening up. But don't think it didn't take it's toll on the ABs too, there were tired legs everywhere out there.

The Wobs needed some better finishing but in the end their set piece just killed them, never seen their lineout that bad. Scrums seemed more technical apart from one where the ABs monstered against the feed.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:18 pm 

JM2K6 wrote:
Sonny Blount wrote:
True Blue wrote:
shanky wrote:

I'm not sure it is.

2010 Bulls
2011 Reds
2012 Chiefs
2013 Chiefs
2014 Waratahs
2015 Highlanders
2016 Hurricanes
2017 Crusaders

Plenty of sharing the title around in Supe.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:20 pm 

JM2K6 wrote:
Sonny Blount wrote:
True Blue wrote:
shanky wrote:

I'm not sure it is.

yeap, and even the RWC next if the ABs are not beaten in it.
pre-2011 (rather 2015), one of the main stuff in the RWC interest was : who will beat the ABs and reload the fun for 4 more years.

of course they could win sometimes, every 12 to 16 years or so. But if now the only question is : who will lose to the ABs in the RWC final, i'm not sure it will be good for the game.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:22 pm 

Sonny Blount wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:

2010 Bulls
2011 Reds
2012 Chiefs
2013 Chiefs
2014 Waratahs
2015 Highlanders
2016 Hurricanes
2017 Crusaders

So 5 out of the last 6 have gone to NZ? What was the record again, 30+ wins in a row to NZ teams against Oz sides?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but crowds and TV figures are down for both tournaments, right?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:22 pm 

shanky wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:

The ARU, in response for a call for change, recently appointed Shore old boy and rugby ‘insider’, Phil Waugh, to the board.

It’s about how many snouts can they fit in the fvcking trough before the trough disappears once and for all.

Mate I'm not going to argue the actual causes, I completely agree. The game needs to be grown from the roots, not the canopy, and short-sighted administration should cop pretty much all the blame for rugby's demise in popular culture in Australia, for sure. That being said, it's not like we don't have a good side. Scrum is vastly improved, and we can boast some of the best players in the world in their positions, Pocock being the obvious. The All Blacks are just f-cking terminators. And on top of that, -whatever the reason- for us not stepping up to the full potential, is not the point, the point is that, as evidence by Ireland's meteoric rise over the past couple of decades, it is actually possible. I totally agree that probably requires a quantum shift in administration.

edit: for clarification, the answer isn't to stop playing the All Blacks or for the All Blacks to "stop being so good". But I'm sure we agree on that. Just to give the post context.

Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:24 pm 

JM2K6 wrote:
Sonny Blount wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:

2010 Bulls
2011 Reds
2012 Chiefs
2013 Chiefs
2014 Waratahs
2015 Highlanders
2016 Hurricanes
2017 Crusaders

So 5 out of the last 6 have gone to NZ? What was the record again, 30+ wins in a row to NZ teams against Oz sides?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but crowds and TV figures are down for both tournaments, right?

and indication of all that surely are the odds at the bookies ?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:28 pm 

JM2K6 wrote:
Kiwias wrote:

This is a bit of a sour response.

NZ's domination is a real problem for both the RC and Super Rugby. Not NZ's fault, obviously, but it does make it a lot less exciting.

He wouldn't know as he's also a Saders and Cantab fan.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:29 pm 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
shanky wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:

Mate I'm not going to argue the actual causes, I completely agree. The game needs to be grown from the roots, not the canopy, and short-sighted administration should cop pretty much all the blame for rugby's demise in popular culture in Australia, for sure. That being said, it's not like we don't have a good side. Scrum is vastly improved, and we can boast some of the best players in the world in their positions, Pocock being the obvious. The All Blacks are just f-cking terminators. And on top of that, -whatever the reason- for us not stepping up to the full potential, is not the point, the point is that, as evidence by Ireland's meteoric rise over the past couple of decades, it is actually possible. I totally agree that probably requires a quantum shift in administration.

I spend between 15-20 hours a week easily, at the grassroots, ‘growing’ the game (whatever the fvck that means anymore)

For the longest time, we’d do our bit and then congregate for the big game, ‘our’ Wallabies.

Recently, I’m not so much. The bosses are all take and no give.

I’m contemplating not even watching the next games. No doubt I’ll be chastised for failing to support the system.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:29 pm 

Couch wrote:
BlueThunder wrote:

fudge off, only thing boring about rugby is the lack of imagination of trying to beat the all blacks.

Spot on!

Not only are most teams so boringly predictable in how they attack, they're influencing teams at lower levels meaning that there are very few players coming through (Kiwis aside) who can just 'play rugby'.

I recently watched some great play from South African schools, smashing Kiwi schools even, but it's been suggested that somewhere between there and the pros either the talented, yet slight, lads aren't getting picked or that they have all sense of creativity 'coached' out of them by the rigid approach most coaches seem to impose.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:31 pm 

JM2K6 wrote:
Sonny Blount wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:

2010 Bulls
2011 Reds
2012 Chiefs
2013 Chiefs
2014 Waratahs
2015 Highlanders
2016 Hurricanes
2017 Crusaders

1996 Blues
1997 Blues
1998 Crusaders
1999 Crusaders
2000 Crusaders
2001 Brumbies
2002 Crusaders
2003 Blues

Super Rugby was booming in this period.

I think the problems for Super Rugby and the RC are common to involvement and watching of all sport declining. And the blind thirst for expansion.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:33 pm 

in 1999 (and maybe also in 2007) i remember kiwis saying they missed the game cause they were sure the ABs would win.

Just imagine, in 1999, the ABs had not won since 1987, they were in a semi-final, andd some fans, sure of the win, did not wake up to watch the game.