Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: College Football 2019
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:19 pm 

Hell of an opener tonight. Florida vs Miami in Orlando. I will be watching at my BIL’s with a bunch of diehard Gator fans.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f8huFIZ1wLQ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:00 am 

What a comeback. Go Buffs!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:18 am 

That was a fun game. Best matchup of the season so far on now.

https://www.vipbox.live/6-lsu-vs-10-texas-1-live

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:32 am 

Joey Bayou and da Tigahs win :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:32 am 

Great win LSU ...

Big Blue lucky vs army

Tangavailoa looked good for Bama

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:16 am 

I enjoy watching College Football, but not NFL :? :? :?

Think the atmosphere seems better, also the games are more exciting.

Thought Clemson looked amazing against Texas A & M.

Saw some of the LSU Texas game. Both teams looked good.

In the UK we tend to get the SEC teams on more than anyone else. I guess that is due to the TV zones.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:38 pm 

mdaclarke wrote:

Large parts of the US would agree with you on that, or at least have a strong preference for college over NFL. If you go out on a Saturday in most of the south you will see shirts from a bunch of different schools. Maybe 1/5 the number of NFL shirts on Sunday and a lot of them are transplants from areas where it is more popular. I was just doing errands and saw one guy in a Packers shirt. Yesterday it was Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Clemson everywhere.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:39 pm 

Btw Tennessee 0-2. Greg Schiano is somewhere laughing his ass off.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:42 pm 

I work at the University of Texas - Austin...will be some glum faces at work tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:52 pm 

True Blue wrote:
I work at the University of Texas - Austin...will be some glum faces at work tomorrow.
I work in Austin and am an LSU fan, so stop by if you want to see someone looking a bit less glum ;)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:59 pm 

Just watched the replay of that. Matthew McConaghey looked a bit unimpressed!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:36 pm 

Man In Black wrote:
Just watched the replay of that. Matthew McConaghey looked a bit unimpressed!

Was that really him?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:44 pm 

Also how big are the stadiums! The Darrell K Royal–Texas Memorial Stadium has a capacity of 100,119, yet is effectively a 3 sided stadium with one of the behind goal areas alot smaller than the other sides (like Aviva stadium) if it had all 4 sides it would probably be the biggest in the world.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:46 pm 

My beloved Terps are giving us hope again with Mike Locksley at the helm.
Could this be real ?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:58 pm 

So what's the strongest conference this year?

SEC
ACC
BIG 10
BIG 12
?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:33 am 

mdaclarke wrote:
Also how big are the stadiums! The Darrell K Royal–Texas Memorial Stadium has a capacity of 100,119, yet is effectively a 3 sided stadium with one of the behind goal areas alot smaller than the other sides (like Aviva stadium) if it had all 4 sides it would probably be the biggest in the world.

I drive past it like 3 times a day, actually doesn't look that big from the road. They're expanding it also there is construction going on.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:54 pm 

iarmhiman wrote:
So what's the strongest conference this year?

SEC
ACC
BIG 10
BIG 12
?

As usual in recent years, SEC especially the West division.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:21 pm 

Bowens wrote:
mdaclarke wrote:

Large parts of the US would agree with you on that, or at least have a strong preference for college over NFL. If you go out on a Saturday in most of the south you will see shirts from a bunch of different schools. Maybe 1/5 the number of NFL shirts on Sunday and a lot of them are transplants from areas where it is more popular. I was just doing errands and saw one guy in a Packers shirt. Yesterday it was Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Clemson everywhere.

I was going to ask about this actually. Have most of the fans gone to the college they support or is it just a geographical thing? Is it just more accessible, cheaper, better atmosphere than NFL? Are there amateur leagues in the US, I always assumed because of all the kit etc there wouldn't be that many teams and the colleges fill this gap. Sorry for all the questions, I've just been facinated by it all, I can't think of it happening in other parts of the world.

I suppose I'd much rather go to my local rugby club and watch a game that a pro team, but it isn't on a scale.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:54 pm 

slick wrote:
Bowens wrote:
mdaclarke wrote:

I was going to ask about this actually. Have most of the fans gone to the college they support or is it just a geographical thing? Is it just more accessible, cheaper, better atmosphere than NFL? Are there amateur leagues in the US, I always assumed because of all the kit etc there wouldn't be that many teams and the colleges fill this gap. Sorry for all the questions, I've just been facinated by it all, I can't think of it happening in other parts of the world.

I suppose I'd much rather go to my local rugby club and watch a game that a pro team, but it isn't on a scale.

Depends on the school and the region. In places where college football is bigger, the more it's a regional thing than an alumni thing but of course students and alumni form a substantial core of the fan base at any school. The average college football ticket is probably cheaper than an NFL ticket, but for big games the tickets can get very expensive. The interest mostly comes down to history and tradition. College football has been going on a lot longer than the NFL, with many major rivalries dating back to the 1800s. Cal-Stanford, also known as Big Game, was even played as a rugby match at one point.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:41 pm 

As a Ducks supporter first, and a Longhorn supporter second, it was not my finest weekend. :evil:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:48 pm 

goeagles wrote:
slick wrote:
Bowens wrote:
mdaclarke wrote:

Depends on the school and the region. In places where college football is bigger, the more it's a regional thing than an alumni thing but of course students and alumni form a substantial core of the fan base at any school. The average college football ticket is probably cheaper than an NFL ticket, but for big games the tickets can get very expensive. The interest mostly comes down to history and tradition. College football has been going on a lot longer than the NFL, with many major rivalries dating back to the 1800s. Cal-Stanford, also known as Big Game, was even played as a rugby match at one point.

Thanks, hadn't thought about the historical angle which makes a lot of sense.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:34 am 

HOLY. SHIT.

Glad I flicked over to the Tulane game after the WNBA had finished...

I know a number of degens that took Tulane -4. :lol:

That was awesome.

EDIT: If you missed it: https://twitter.com/HeavensFX/status/1174889856188801024

They were down 28-7 as well.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:56 pm 

slick wrote:
goeagles wrote:
slick wrote:
Bowens wrote:
mdaclarke wrote:

Thanks, hadn't thought about the historical angle which makes a lot of sense.

You also have to look at it from the vantage point of the NFL was mostly a northeast/upper Midwest thing until the late '60s. The reason we have franchises moving or renegade leagues like the AFL, ABA, WHA is you had places that wanted pro sports but were not served because the country's money and population were all in the northeast and upper Midwest, and by mid-20th century, that was increasingly no longer becoming the case. The Washington Redskins forever were The Southern Team, because there was no other option in the region. The Falcons and Saints didn't come along until the NFL owners were threatened with competition. The closest analog to what the Redskins once were (Falcons and Panthers have pretty much killed that) are the Atlanta Braves in baseball, who own the whole South. But turning that to college football, that was the only football you had.

For modern fanbases, your private schools are more likely to have people that are fans that didn't go there. Duke for example no one from North Carolina actually goes there because they can't afford it, it's a school for people from New York and New Jersey. Miami has a very light alumni base, so they are very bandwagon-y of they only have fans if they're winning. Notre Dame is your default "I cheer for them because I'm Catholic" for a lot of people, although the Notre Dame alumni that exist are rich and powerful out in the real world. I don't know any BYU fans, but imagine they're the same "I cheer for them because I'm Mormon".