Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: College Football 2019
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 5:46 am
Posts: 10342
Hell of an opener tonight. Florida vs Miami in Orlando. I will be watching at my BIL’s with a bunch of diehard Gator fans.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f8huFIZ1wLQ


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7986
What a comeback. Go Buffs!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:18 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 5:46 am
Posts: 10342
That was a fun game. Best matchup of the season so far on now.

https://www.vipbox.live/6-lsu-vs-10-texas-1-live


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 5:46 am
Posts: 10342
Joey Bayou and da Tigahs win :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4968
Great win LSU ...

Big Blue lucky vs army

Tangavailoa looked good for Bama


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:53 pm
Posts: 1380
I enjoy watching College Football, but not NFL :? :? :?

Think the atmosphere seems better, also the games are more exciting.

Thought Clemson looked amazing against Texas A & M.

Saw some of the LSU Texas game. Both teams looked good.

In the UK we tend to get the SEC teams on more than anyone else. I guess that is due to the TV zones.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 5:46 am
Posts: 10342
mdaclarke wrote:
I enjoy watching College Football, but not NFL :? :? :?

Think the atmosphere seems better, also the games are more exciting.


Large parts of the US would agree with you on that, or at least have a strong preference for college over NFL. If you go out on a Saturday in most of the south you will see shirts from a bunch of different schools. Maybe 1/5 the number of NFL shirts on Sunday and a lot of them are transplants from areas where it is more popular. I was just doing errands and saw one guy in a Packers shirt. Yesterday it was Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Clemson everywhere.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 5:46 am
Posts: 10342
Btw Tennessee 0-2. Greg Schiano is somewhere laughing his ass off.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11177
Location: Austin, TX
I work at the University of Texas - Austin...will be some glum faces at work tomorrow.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 524
Location: Boston, Austin, London
True Blue wrote:
I work at the University of Texas - Austin...will be some glum faces at work tomorrow.
I work in Austin and am an LSU fan, so stop by if you want to see someone looking a bit less glum ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4727
Just watched the replay of that. Matthew McConaghey looked a bit unimpressed!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:53 pm
Posts: 1380
Man In Black wrote:
Just watched the replay of that. Matthew McConaghey looked a bit unimpressed!


Was that really him?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:53 pm
Posts: 1380
Also how big are the stadiums! The Darrell K Royal–Texas Memorial Stadium has a capacity of 100,119, yet is effectively a 3 sided stadium with one of the behind goal areas alot smaller than the other sides (like Aviva stadium) if it had all 4 sides it would probably be the biggest in the world.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 765
Location: Next to the Ocean.
My beloved Terps are giving us hope again with Mike Locksley at the helm.
Could this be real ?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 33147
Location: Dublin
So what's the strongest conference this year?

SEC
ACC
BIG 10
BIG 12
?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11177
Location: Austin, TX
mdaclarke wrote:
Also how big are the stadiums! The Darrell K Royal–Texas Memorial Stadium has a capacity of 100,119, yet is effectively a 3 sided stadium with one of the behind goal areas alot smaller than the other sides (like Aviva stadium) if it had all 4 sides it would probably be the biggest in the world.


I drive past it like 3 times a day, actually doesn't look that big from the road. They're expanding it also there is construction going on.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 5:46 am
Posts: 10342
iarmhiman wrote:
So what's the strongest conference this year?

SEC
ACC
BIG 10
BIG 12
?


As usual in recent years, SEC especially the West division.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7229
Bowens wrote:
mdaclarke wrote:
I enjoy watching College Football, but not NFL :? :? :?

Think the atmosphere seems better, also the games are more exciting.


Large parts of the US would agree with you on that, or at least have a strong preference for college over NFL. If you go out on a Saturday in most of the south you will see shirts from a bunch of different schools. Maybe 1/5 the number of NFL shirts on Sunday and a lot of them are transplants from areas where it is more popular. I was just doing errands and saw one guy in a Packers shirt. Yesterday it was Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Clemson everywhere.


I was going to ask about this actually. Have most of the fans gone to the college they support or is it just a geographical thing? Is it just more accessible, cheaper, better atmosphere than NFL? Are there amateur leagues in the US, I always assumed because of all the kit etc there wouldn't be that many teams and the colleges fill this gap. Sorry for all the questions, I've just been facinated by it all, I can't think of it happening in other parts of the world.

I suppose I'd much rather go to my local rugby club and watch a game that a pro team, but it isn't on a scale.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7986
slick wrote:
Bowens wrote:
mdaclarke wrote:
I enjoy watching College Football, but not NFL :? :? :?

Think the atmosphere seems better, also the games are more exciting.


Large parts of the US would agree with you on that, or at least have a strong preference for college over NFL. If you go out on a Saturday in most of the south you will see shirts from a bunch of different schools. Maybe 1/5 the number of NFL shirts on Sunday and a lot of them are transplants from areas where it is more popular. I was just doing errands and saw one guy in a Packers shirt. Yesterday it was Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Clemson everywhere.


I was going to ask about this actually. Have most of the fans gone to the college they support or is it just a geographical thing? Is it just more accessible, cheaper, better atmosphere than NFL? Are there amateur leagues in the US, I always assumed because of all the kit etc there wouldn't be that many teams and the colleges fill this gap. Sorry for all the questions, I've just been facinated by it all, I can't think of it happening in other parts of the world.

I suppose I'd much rather go to my local rugby club and watch a game that a pro team, but it isn't on a scale.


Depends on the school and the region. In places where college football is bigger, the more it's a regional thing than an alumni thing but of course students and alumni form a substantial core of the fan base at any school. The average college football ticket is probably cheaper than an NFL ticket, but for big games the tickets can get very expensive. The interest mostly comes down to history and tradition. College football has been going on a lot longer than the NFL, with many major rivalries dating back to the 1800s. Cal-Stanford, also known as Big Game, was even played as a rugby match at one point.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2752
Location: Vancouver, BC
As a Ducks supporter first, and a Longhorn supporter second, it was not my finest weekend. :evil:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7229
goeagles wrote:
slick wrote:
Bowens wrote:
mdaclarke wrote:
I enjoy watching College Football, but not NFL :? :? :?

Think the atmosphere seems better, also the games are more exciting.


Large parts of the US would agree with you on that, or at least have a strong preference for college over NFL. If you go out on a Saturday in most of the south you will see shirts from a bunch of different schools. Maybe 1/5 the number of NFL shirts on Sunday and a lot of them are transplants from areas where it is more popular. I was just doing errands and saw one guy in a Packers shirt. Yesterday it was Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Clemson everywhere.


I was going to ask about this actually. Have most of the fans gone to the college they support or is it just a geographical thing? Is it just more accessible, cheaper, better atmosphere than NFL? Are there amateur leagues in the US, I always assumed because of all the kit etc there wouldn't be that many teams and the colleges fill this gap. Sorry for all the questions, I've just been facinated by it all, I can't think of it happening in other parts of the world.

I suppose I'd much rather go to my local rugby club and watch a game that a pro team, but it isn't on a scale.


Depends on the school and the region. In places where college football is bigger, the more it's a regional thing than an alumni thing but of course students and alumni form a substantial core of the fan base at any school. The average college football ticket is probably cheaper than an NFL ticket, but for big games the tickets can get very expensive. The interest mostly comes down to history and tradition. College football has been going on a lot longer than the NFL, with many major rivalries dating back to the 1800s. Cal-Stanford, also known as Big Game, was even played as a rugby match at one point.


Thanks, hadn't thought about the historical angle which makes a lot of sense.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:57 pm
Posts: 12308
HOLY. SHIT.

Glad I flicked over to the Tulane game after the WNBA had finished...

I know a number of degens that took Tulane -4. :lol:

That was awesome.

EDIT: If you missed it: https://twitter.com/HeavensFX/status/1174889856188801024

They were down 28-7 as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:56 pm 
Online

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 8476
Location: Indiana
slick wrote:
goeagles wrote:
slick wrote:
Bowens wrote:
mdaclarke wrote:
I enjoy watching College Football, but not NFL :? :? :?

Think the atmosphere seems better, also the games are more exciting.


Large parts of the US would agree with you on that, or at least have a strong preference for college over NFL. If you go out on a Saturday in most of the south you will see shirts from a bunch of different schools. Maybe 1/5 the number of NFL shirts on Sunday and a lot of them are transplants from areas where it is more popular. I was just doing errands and saw one guy in a Packers shirt. Yesterday it was Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Clemson everywhere.


I was going to ask about this actually. Have most of the fans gone to the college they support or is it just a geographical thing? Is it just more accessible, cheaper, better atmosphere than NFL? Are there amateur leagues in the US, I always assumed because of all the kit etc there wouldn't be that many teams and the colleges fill this gap. Sorry for all the questions, I've just been facinated by it all, I can't think of it happening in other parts of the world.

I suppose I'd much rather go to my local rugby club and watch a game that a pro team, but it isn't on a scale.


Depends on the school and the region. In places where college football is bigger, the more it's a regional thing than an alumni thing but of course students and alumni form a substantial core of the fan base at any school. The average college football ticket is probably cheaper than an NFL ticket, but for big games the tickets can get very expensive. The interest mostly comes down to history and tradition. College football has been going on a lot longer than the NFL, with many major rivalries dating back to the 1800s. Cal-Stanford, also known as Big Game, was even played as a rugby match at one point.


Thanks, hadn't thought about the historical angle which makes a lot of sense.



You also have to look at it from the vantage point of the NFL was mostly a northeast/upper Midwest thing until the late '60s. The reason we have franchises moving or renegade leagues like the AFL, ABA, WHA is you had places that wanted pro sports but were not served because the country's money and population were all in the northeast and upper Midwest, and by mid-20th century, that was increasingly no longer becoming the case. The Washington Redskins forever were The Southern Team, because there was no other option in the region. The Falcons and Saints didn't come along until the NFL owners were threatened with competition. The closest analog to what the Redskins once were (Falcons and Panthers have pretty much killed that) are the Atlanta Braves in baseball, who own the whole South. But turning that to college football, that was the only football you had.

For modern fanbases, your private schools are more likely to have people that are fans that didn't go there. Duke for example no one from North Carolina actually goes there because they can't afford it, it's a school for people from New York and New Jersey. Miami has a very light alumni base, so they are very bandwagon-y of they only have fans if they're winning. Notre Dame is your default "I cheer for them because I'm Catholic" for a lot of people, although the Notre Dame alumni that exist are rich and powerful out in the real world. I don't know any BYU fans, but imagine they're the same "I cheer for them because I'm Mormon".


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 18ChinsOfChinatown, Bert, Cabbage, Doc Rob, earl the beaver, Flametop, Floppykid, Flyin Ryan, FullbackAce, Glaston, Google Adsense [Bot], hermie, Jake, Jim Lahey, Liathroidigloine, Lobby, Mr Mike, Mullet 2, Nolanator, OomPB, penguin, pigaaaa, Plato'sCave, Pole, rustycruiser, SEAsianExpat, shereblue, sockwithaticket, Toulon's Not Toulouse, Wilson's Toffee, Winnie, Yourmother, zzzz and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group