Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2633 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 66  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:50 am 

Never heard of him until a week ago. Just watched that interview with Kathy Newman.

What's everyone's thoughts on the guy other than that?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:57 am 

Brumbieman wrote:
Never heard of him until a week ago. Just watched that interview with Kathy Newman.

I'd never heard of him either. Seems to be whoring himself as some sort of intellectual giant for the alt right. Good gig for himself I suppose. Has some interesting and provocative ideas and I'm sure his seminars and book sales will be massively benefited from the interview.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:01 am 

He appears to attract those keen to smear him

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:03 am 

Brumbieman wrote:

Had you heard of Cathy Newman either?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:05 am 

Mick Mannock wrote:
Brumbieman wrote:

TBH I didn't know her name. But I would.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:12 am 

c69 wrote:
Mick Mannock wrote:
Brumbieman wrote:

TBH I didn't know her name. But I would.

She did a very poor interview.

"So you're saying <insert something he didn't say>!?" with a hint of outrage over and over and over and over again.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:13 am 

He popped up on my radar several months ago while I was reading some article about the erosion of free speech on US uni campuses. Unfortunately for him his stance against more of the batshit nonsense that is going on over there has made him a bit of a poster boy for the 'alt right' so he has probably unfairly been lumped together with the likes of Milo Yiannopoulos.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:17 am 

c69 wrote:
Brumbieman wrote:

I'd never heard of him either. Seems to be whoring himself as some sort of intellectual giant for the alt right. Good gig for himself I suppose. Has some interesting and provocative ideas and I'm sure his seminars and book sales will be massively benefited from the interview.

Peterson does not like the alt-right either. He regards the extremities on either side of the political spectrum with deep suspicion, but because he offends the left more than the right they have become more established as being in direct opposition to him.

I've seen a few of his lectures, and whilst I don't always agree with him he at least comes across as reasonable, rational and rigorous. Which makes a pleasant change.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:22 am 

He's great.

Pity he came into the limelight for all the wrong reasons (the first being a spat with some intersex/gender fluid/transgender or something). I must say I endorse the viewpoints he put forth during that debate and others that followed.

He totally schooled that Ch4 interviewer ("So what you're saying is....").

Before he became known to most people, he was already famous, and had over 400 hours of his lectures in psychiatry and philosophy on YouTube. I've been a follower of his since long before his "internet fame".

He has absolutely nothing to do with the alt-right, alt-light or any political group. He is in fact a liberal, but speaks out about extremists on all sides.

His only real political involvement is with Canada's Bill C-16.

I suggest, before criticising him for what you think he might be based on the more controversial and sensationalist Youtube videos, you have a look at his channel first and watch some of his lectures, which spans back a couple of years. It's helluva interesting, especially if you're interested in psychology and philosophy (and religion even).

Last edited by troglodiet on Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:33 am 

troglodiet wrote:
He's great.

Pity he came into the limelight for all the wrong reasons (the first being a spat with some intersex/gender fluid/transgender or something). I must say I endorse the viewpoints he put forth during that debate and others that followed.

He totally schooled that Ch4 interviewer ("So what you're saying is....").

Before he became known to most people, he was already famous, and had over 400 hours of his lectures in psychiatry and philosophy. I've been a follower of his since long before his "internet fame".

He has absolutely nothing to do with the alt-right, alt-light or any political group. He is in fact a liberal, but speaks out about extremists on all sides.

His only real political involvement is with Canada's Bill C-16.

I suggest, before criticising him for what you think he might be based on the more controversial and sensationalist Youtube videos, you have a look at his channel first and watch some of his lectures, which spans back a couple of years. It's helluva interesting, especially if you're interested in psychology and philosophy (and religion even).

Quite. He can be outspoken, which rubs some people up the wrong way, but when it comes to gender his argument is simply that men and women are equal, but not the same. The same argument was rather uncontroversially the basis for 'Men from Mars; Women are from Venus'. It's a pretty mainstream position.

It comes down to the Nature v Nurture debate, which is a tricky one. Partly because the majority of people probably hold that nature plays a major role, yet the totality of left-wing academia is predicated on the idea that Nurture is everything - it is social conditioning and social power structures that drive differences in outcome, rather than differences between groups of people. It is this disconnect in fundamental philosophies which causes many to see academia as being at a distance from reality.

Last edited by 4071 on Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:33 am 

Mick Mannock wrote:
Brumbieman wrote:

I hadn't before people here started frothing about that video. Who is she, and should I care?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:40 am 

Know nothing of him other than the now uberviral “interview”, which may have set back feminism a generation or two. All he had to do there was softly bat back Newman’s ridiculously aggressive and nonsensical attacks and he did that well enough.

He’s an alt-righty? Didn’t seem like it, came across as holding fairly moderate and logical views if that admittedly small snippet was anything to go by.

But as I said, don’t know the rest of his work (and he may be some kind of closeted Nazi for all I know) but if he’s being held up as some kind of fascist boogeyman then liberals are really straining now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:45 am 

Zakar wrote:
Mick Mannock wrote:
Brumbieman wrote:

I hadn't before people here started frothing about that video. Who is she, and should I care?

She is actually not a bad news anchor / journalist but over recent years her interview style has become more belligerent and hectoring (along with most other TV journalists) to the point where any nuance or even context has been thrown out the window in the pursuit of cheap point scoring rather then challenging or dismantling the views of the subject they are interviewing. You can get away with that approach while conducting a 3 min interview with some evasive politician but for anything longer you can be badly exposed when dealing with someone who is unflappable, calm and armed to the teeth with peer reviewed facts and figures.

Last edited by danny_fitz on Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:48 am 

c69 wrote:
Brumbieman wrote:

Thats a pretty cheap shot, he's not part of the alt right .

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:52 am 

harvey wilson wrote:
c69 wrote:
Brumbieman wrote:

They're his main support base, are they not?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:54 am 

4071 wrote:
Quite. He can be outspoken, which rubs some people up the wrong way, but when it comes to gender his argument is simply that men and women are equal, but not the same. The same argument was rather uncontroversially the basis for 'Men from Mars; Women are from Venus'. It's a pretty mainstream position.

It comes down to the Nature v Nurture debate, which is a tricky one. Partly because the majority of people probably hold that nature plays a major role, yet the totality of left-wing academia is predicated on the idea that Nurture is everything - it is social conditioning and social power structures that drive differences in outcome, rather than differences between groups of people. It is this disconnect in fundamental philosophies which causes many to see academia as being at a distance from reality.

That's where I diverge with JP because I think he overplays the "Marxist academics" angle far too much, both in the number of academics who are marxists and the actual threat of the marxism they're espousing. It starts to smack of someone who's not very savvy when it comes to political science.

That said I do agree with him on many matters of free speech, and that equality of outcome is not the same as equality of opportunity and he's not as right wing as he's been portrayed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:57 am 

harvey wilson wrote:
c69 wrote:
Brumbieman wrote:

C69 is thick as mince when it comes to the alt right.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:57 am 

anonymous_joe wrote:
harvey wilson wrote:
c69 wrote:
Brumbieman wrote:

No.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:58 am 

crash 669 wrote:
4071 wrote:

That's where I diverge with JP because I think he overplays the "Marxist academics" angle far too much, both in the number of academics who are marxists and the actual threat of the marxism they're espousing. It starts to smack of someone who's not very savvy when it comes to political science.

That said I do agree with him on many matters of free speech, and that equality of outcome is not the same as equality of opportunity and he's not as right wing as he's been portrayed.

I agree - he was pretty reasonable up to that point. Drawing a parallel was fine, in terms of control of language and 'group thinking', but saying they were the same was strangely heavy handed when he'd been quite careful with most other answers.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:00 am 

harvey wilson wrote:
c69 wrote:
Brumbieman wrote:

In his own words:
https://youtu.be/0oJBJc9Ou2A

And to those who think he's a wannabe intellectual, he's been a professor in psychology at the university of Toronto for the last 20 years. Before that he was an associate professor at Harvard. He is actually Dr. Jordan Peterson, with a Ph.D in clinical psychology. He also has a BA degree in political science.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:07 am 

troglodiet wrote:
harvey wilson wrote:
c69 wrote:
Brumbieman wrote:

In his own words:

And to those who think he's a wannabe intellectual, he's been a professor in psychology at the university of Toronto for the last 20 years. Before that he was an associate professor at Harvard. He is actually Dr. Jordan Peterson, with a Ph.D in clinical psychology. He also has a BA degree in political science.

Peterson has been around awhile. He managed to avoid pissing of the lunatic left, till recently.

Now he is in for the hard yards - they NEVER forget, they NEVER forgive.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:11 am 

Wilson's Toffee wrote:
Peterson has been around awhile. He managed to avoid pissing of the lunatic left, till recently.

Jip, I mentioned earlier in this thread that I've been a follower of him long before he became a "celebrity" for all the wrong reasons.

As for the never forget, never forgive.....that's Anonymous (the hacktivist group). They're not entirely left-wing either. Or right-wing for that matter.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:14 am 

harvey wilson wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:
harvey wilson wrote:
c69 wrote:
Brumbieman wrote:

No.

:lol:

Little bit too close to home?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:15 am 

anonymous_joe wrote:
harvey wilson wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:
harvey wilson wrote:
c69 wrote:

No.

:lol:

Little bit too close to home?

Christ thats weak. Here, have some pity.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:16 am 

troglodiet wrote:
In his own words:

IN that video at the 3:50 mark he claims that the Humanities are dominated by radical leftists and while that may be more true to some extent in the states it is categorically not true of this country or Europe.

In my field of research, which is in the humanities, and at the universities I've been employed by, the political spectrum is broadly represented from the right (I wouldn't say far right because I think it's very difficult to be an intelligent and decent person and a fascist) to the extreme left - but the extreme left isn't represented in the faculty members at all, only amongst students and usually graduate students. The majority of faculty boards in the UK are dominated by centrists, who are socially left wing and economically centre-right, much as you'd expect given the social make up of people who become professors.

When he starts calling people radical leftists, he's either heavily misguided about how far left they are, or he's promoting an agenda that makes him popular with the far right.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:16 am 

Those are power drunk hackers (the group Anonymous).

But the filthy lot, the Antifa and One World staters, the Soros suckers, the Clinton Clan and Obama Okes, and the like, they cannot STAND a man who thinks for himself. And hates him for it.

Especially not if he expresses his thoughts and ideas and principles in public.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:20 am 

crash 669 wrote:
troglodiet wrote:
In his own words:

IN that video at the 3:50 mark he claims that the Humanities are dominated by radical leftists and while that may be more true to some extent in the states it is categorically not true of this country or Europe.

In my field of research, which is in the humanities, and at the universities I've been employed by, the political spectrum is broadly represented from the right (I wouldn't say far right because I think it's very difficult to be an intelligent and decent person and a fascist) to the extreme left - but the extreme left isn't represented in the faculty members at all, only amongst students and usually graduate students. The majority of faculty boards in the UK are dominated by centrists, who are socially left wing and economically centre-right, much as you'd expect given the social make up of people who become professors.

When he starts calling people radical leftists, he's either heavily misguided about how far left they are, or he's promoting an agenda that makes him popular with the far right.

Or, as you suggest, he's talking about North America. And is possibly using the term dominating in place of shouting the loudest.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:22 am 

Zakar wrote:
Mick Mannock wrote:
Brumbieman wrote:

The original clip is up to 3.1m views now. Is that viral yet?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:23 am 

He's done an interview with Dutch tv about it and mentions the Guardian trying to smear him with the alt right tag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK2-xYyNpYk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:24 am 

harvey wilson wrote:
c69 wrote:
Brumbieman wrote:

I had already stated I had never heard of him and it seems he has had to defend himself against alt right accussations in the past. I doubt he would take offence at such a label, there are others on here to do that for him.
A quick google tells me there are loads who associate him with the altright and a quite a few of that demographic support his views on certain subjects.
As I said all this publicity and outrage will help him sell books and seminar tickets. I've even said he has interesting and provocative ideas. Certainly the alt right fan bois on here have jumped into defend him.
Oh yeah, sorry none of them have the honesty to call themselves that. But hey it's just a label not a pronoun though :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:28 am 

c69 wrote:
harvey wilson wrote:
c69 wrote:
Brumbieman wrote:

I had already stated I had never heard of him and it seems he has had to defend himself against alt right accussations in the past. I doubt he would take offence at such a label, there are others on here to do that for him.
A quick google tells me there are loads who associate him with the altright and a quite a few of that demographic support his views on certain subjects.
As I said all this publicity and outrage will help him sell books and seminar tickets. I've even said he has interesting and provocative ideas. Certainly the alt right fan bois on here have jumped into defend him.
Oh yeah, sorry none of them have the honesty to call themselves that. But hey it's just a label not a pronoun though :)

I'm pretty sure the one guy on PR who identifies with the Alt-Right has been pretty open about doing so.

Last edited by Man In Black on Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:33 am 

troglodiet wrote:
harvey wilson wrote:
c69 wrote:
Brumbieman wrote:

In his own words:

I think that's the thing isn't it: he's a praticising boots on the ground pyschologist with an academic pedigree who is also politically aware. He doesn't need to be an intellect of Einstein proportions: he's just the lucky guy with the right venn diagram of skills for these crazy times.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:35 am 

Wilson's Toffee wrote:
Those are power drunk hackers (the group Anonymous).

But the filthy lot, the Antifa and One World staters, the Soros suckers, the Clinton Clan and Obama Okes, and the like, they cannot STAND a man who thinks for himself. And hates him for it.

Especially not if he expresses his thoughts and ideas and principles in public.

Nah, Anonymous is all but dead. And even in their glory days, they weren't really a bunch of hackers. I'd guess they probably had less than 10 real hackers behind the scenes. The rest were script kiddies who used pre-written software to help with DDOS attacks, and 4Chan users who just associated themselves with Anonymous for the lulz.

Peterson would appreciate a decent debate with anybody who disagrees with him. But I would recommend that person to be VERY well prepared for the interview.

But yeah, I've been a follower of him long before this debacle, since his lectures helps me a lot with dealing with my own mental health.

And his lectures in which he uses Biblical references is especially great. He seems to have the same outlook as me in this regard, in that the Holy Scriptures were all allegorical. In fact, his lectures can be used verbatim in a Masonic Lodge. I've had no indication that he is a Mason, but his philosophical interpretations of Biblical stories are just about what Masonry is all about.

Last edited by troglodiet on Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:35 am 

troglodiet wrote:
Wilson's Toffee wrote:

Jip, I mentioned earlier in this thread that I've been a follower of him long before he became a "celebrity" for all the wrong reasons.

As for the never forget, never forgive.....that's Anonymous (the hacktivist group). They're not entirely left-wing either. Or right-wing for that matter.

Anonymous is amorphous is it not?

I'd not be surprised at all though if there is not a number of people who are both antifa and Anonymous.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:36 am 

c69 wrote:
harvey wilson wrote:
c69 wrote:
Brumbieman wrote:

Being associated with the alt right and having to defend yourself against allegations don't necessarily mean you are part of it , plenty of people want to label him that so they can dismiss him.
I'm not sure if you think I'm alt right but the things I watch of his are more about relationships and motivating yourself which are things I've struggled with and his lectures have been a big help there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:37 am 

c69 wrote:
Brumbieman wrote:

God this grates me.

Science and reason doesn't pick political sides. It's true or it's not. Global warming is not "left". What Peterson says is not "right".

Anything that is not mainstream PC nonsense is not by default "alt right". He is in fact not "alt right" at all and he's not whoring himself for anything, he's been well known for f-cking ages.

Saying something like, "all the research and evidence suggests that in modern, secular western societies, sexism in the workplace is not a major contributor to the wage gap between men and women" - and then backing that up with solid facts and reason is NOT "alt right". It might not be lefty-PC-feminist-SJW-whatever. But it's not alt-right.

For the record, I'm not Peterson's biggest fan ever. But I am forced to broadly agree with him on most of his major points, just because it's so evidently true.

Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:38 am 

harvey wilson wrote:
c69 wrote:
harvey wilson wrote:
c69 wrote:
Brumbieman wrote:

Being associated with the alt right and having to defend yourself against allegations don't necessarily mean you are part of it , plenty of people want to label him that so they can dismiss him.
I'm not sure if you think I'm alt rightbut the things I watch of his are more about relationships and motivating yourself which are things I've struggled with and his lectures have been a big help there.

I've not noticed you before and no idea about your flavour.
As I said he has interesting and provocative thoughts.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:42 am 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
c69 wrote:
Brumbieman wrote:

God this grates me.

Science and reason doesn't pick political sides. It's true or it's not. Global warming is not "left". What Peterson says is not "right".

Anything that is not mainstream PC nonsense is not by default "alt right". He is in fact not "alt right" at all and he's not whoring himself for anything, he's been well known for f-cking ages.

Saying something like, "all the research and evidence suggests that in modern, secular western societies, sexism in the workplace is not a major contributor to the wage gap between men and women" - and then backing that up with solid facts and reason is NOT "alt right". It might not be lefty-PC-feminist-SJW-whatever. But it's not alt-right.

For the record, I'm not Peterson's biggest fan ever. But I am forced to broadly agree with him on most of his major points, just because it's so evidently true.

And so says the man on the Midsommarkransen light-rail tram.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:42 am 

Quote:

You say it best, when you say nothing at all.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:44 am 

Man In Black wrote:
Quote:

You say it best, when you say nothing at all.

The smile on your face let's me know that you need me

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2633 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 66  Next