Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1902, 1903, 1904, 1905, 1906, 1907, 1908 ... 1979  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:05 pm 

It seems to me that a lot of people are delighted that Eddie appears to have come up with gameplans to combat Ireland's strengths and take advantage of France's weaknesses. I'd prefer us to just be good enough to beat whatever is in front of us, rather than out-thinking teams tactically. You're not going to beat the best teams by just coming up with a gameplan, you need to be better than them.

Plenty of time of course, I just worry that we're concentrating too much on the opposition rather than just being better. If the opposition changes the way they operate either midgame or catches us cold with new tactics, are we in a position to adapt? A lot has already been said about our inability to create much beyond the first few phases.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:08 pm 

RodneyRegis wrote:
It seems to me that a lot of people are delighted that Eddie appears to have come up with gameplans to combat Ireland's strengths and take advantage of France's weaknesses. I'd prefer us to just be good enough to beat whatever is in front of us, rather than out-thinking teams tactically. You're not going to beat the best teams by just coming up with a gameplan, you need to be better than them.

Plenty of time of course, I just worry that we're concentrating too much on the opposition rather than just being better. If the opposition changes the way they operate either midgame or catches us cold with new tactics, are we in a position to adapt? A lot has already been said about our inability to create much beyond the first few phases.

That first paragraph is f**king ridiculous.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:11 pm 

RodneyRegis wrote:

Fucking hell. Right, I'm out, catch you on the match thread in two weeks everyone

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:16 pm 

Rugby2023 wrote:
Tuilagi needs to be used further out the line, he was easily bottled up by Bastareaud & general traffic. He was devastating at 13 at one time.

I'm not sure he's quite at international speed yet in terms of thought or deed. Playing at a mix of 12 and 13 might therefore suit, as does the varying us of bosher, decoy and passer/offloader.

He's only just back to rugby after a long period out, let alone international rugby. One step at a time and all that... I also think his blunt trauma approach is simply a weapon to have in the armoury, rather than the be-all and end-all which it might once have been. That's more to do with the development of the game and tactics by teams than about him, per se. It's moved on a bit.

Having him, Billy, Mako, Lawes, Itoje all punching holes when the defensive line is thinner, combined with the rapier attacks of Slade, Nowell/Ashton, Daly are what might keep teams from just dropping 4-5 defenders back to field the high balls. Add in a bit of Youngs sniping and defences really do need to be firing on all cylinders to prepare and counter what we can throw at them when we click.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:28 pm 

RodneyRegis wrote:

So the number 2 side in the world away is not "one of the best teams" now? You set a very high bar sir.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:29 pm 

The intensity and pace we've been playing with has nothing to do with a gameplan either. That alone would have put us in a solid position to win, especially with France.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:40 pm 

pjm1 wrote:
Rugby2023 wrote:
Tuilagi needs to be used further out the line, he was easily bottled up by Bastareaud & general traffic. He was devastating at 13 at one time.

I'm not sure he's quite at international speed yet in terms of thought or deed. Playing at a mix of 12 and 13 might therefore suit, as does the varying us of bosher, decoy and passer/offloader.

He's only just back to rugby after a long period out, let alone international rugby. One step at a time and all that... I also think his blunt trauma approach is simply a weapon to have in the armoury, rather than the be-all and end-all which it might once have been. That's more to do with the development of the game and tactics by teams than about him, per se. It's moved on a bit.

Having him, Billy, Mako, Lawes, Itoje all punching holes when the defensive line is thinner, combined with the rapier attacks of Slade, Nowell/Ashton, Daly are what might keep teams from just dropping 4-5 defenders back to field the high balls. Add in a bit of Youngs sniping and defences really do need to be firing on all cylinders to prepare and counter what we can throw at them when we click.

Having real speed out wide, lots of powerful ball carriers (some of whom also have decent hands - see Sinkler's absurd pass for Slade to score for example), several creative players with ball in hand and several players who can kick tactically potentially make it very hard for opposition teams to stop all of England's attacking options simultaneously. So far, Ireland and France haven't caused England to look at other options, but I hope that the team has been working on exploiting space differently according to how teams defend and these moves are ready to go when needed.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:19 pm 

A5D5E5 wrote:
RodneyRegis wrote:

So the number 2 side in the world away is not "one of the best teams" now? You set a very high bar sir.

Chill Winston. It's just an observation - no doubt we've been f**king brutally good, and considering where we were 12 months ago it's an unbelievable turnaround.

There has been plenty of comment that we were a bit nothing off multi phase ball yesterday, and that we out Irelanded ireland.

Delighted I've seen off chuckles though.

I would contend that Ireland had an off day to match our best game for years. They were hardly top 2 material against Scotland either.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:34 pm 

RodneyRegis wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
RodneyRegis wrote:

Chill Winston. It's just an observation - no doubt we've been f**king brutally good, and considering where we were 12 months ago it's an unbelievable turnaround.

There has been plenty of comment that we were a bit nothing off multi phase ball yesterday, and that we out Irelanded ireland.

I would contend that Ireland had an off day to match our best game for years. They were hardly top 2 material against Scotland either.

Good film.

As for the rest of your posts, is this a fair summary:

You don't want us to have a gameplan and prefer that we beat "the best teams" (using whatever definition of "the best" suits your argument at that point in time) using some indefinable "goodness".

It would appear that you are to rugby strategy what Redbeard Rum is to the theory of sea captaincy.

Last edited by A5D5E5 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:49 pm 

Another Corbyn comment unearthed, this time supposedly from an event in 2010

Quote:
“They, the world’s bankers, International Monetary Fund, European Union, they are utterly united in what they want. Utterly united in deflation, suppressing the economy, and creating unemployment. Utterly united in that.”

“We will not be silenced by these people. We will win through. We will defeat them”

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:51 pm 

SamShark wrote:
Another Corbyn comment unearthed, this time supposedly from an event in 2010

Quote:
“They, the world’s bankers, International Monetary Fund, European Union, they are utterly united in what they want. Utterly united in deflation, suppressing the economy, and creating unemployment. Utterly united in that.”

“We will not be silenced by these people. We will win through. We will defeat them”

And so he would pick Cokanasiga on the wing rather than Nowell for Wales then?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:05 pm 

:lol: oops.

Corbyn would deliberately lose the game I suspect.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:10 pm 

SamShark wrote:
:lol: oops.

Corbyn would deliberately lose the game I suspect.

Depends who we were playing. I suspect he would want to beat Italy and France but if we found ourselves up against Venezuela or Cuba I'd be looking for somebody else to kick for goal. Ireland might be tricky for him - would probably come down to a headcount.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:29 pm 

A5D5E5 wrote:
RodneyRegis wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
RodneyRegis wrote:

Good film.

As for the rest of your posts, is this a fair summary:

You don't want us to have a gameplan and prefer that we beat "the best teams" (using whatever definition of "the best" suits your argument at that point in time) using some indefinable "goodness".

It would appear that you are to rugby strategy what Redbeard Rum is to the theory of sea captaincy.

😂

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:10 pm 

I always come back to the 2015 6N game in Cardiff when thinking about how to beat Wales (yes, the one where Hask ran into the post).

They got an early try from a wheeled scrum and a piece of ridiculousness from Toby, but the rest of the match - it was basically us bossing the gainline.

They couldn't cope with our carriers and defending. We lived in their half, and they just could not establish a foot hold. I couldn't spot specific tactics apart from that, so there you go Rodney - no specific game plan just run them over, and don't let them run us over. With the Vunipolae, Tuilagi, Sinckler et al - we are even more powerful.

Anyone else specifically remember that game? Perhaps I'm overrating it, but it did seem a good enough formula for the Cardiff fixture.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:21 pm 

I have bad memories from that day! We were supposed to be going to our friends to watch it, have dinner and get pissed but my car broke down (well actually a brake caliper seized) on the way and after pissing about with the RAC for an eternity we got home just in time for the final whistle :x

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:21 pm 

Hawk97 wrote:
I always come back to the 2015 6N game in Cardiff when thinking about how to beat Wales (yes, the one where Hask ran into the post).

They got an early try from a wheeled scrum and a piece of ridiculousness from Toby, but the rest of the match - it was basically us bossing the gainline.

They couldn't cope with our carriers and defending. We lived in their half, and they just could not establish a foot hold. I couldn't spot specific tactics apart from that, so there you go Rodney - no specific game plan just run them over, and don't let them run us over. With the Vunipolae, Tuilagi, Sinckler et al - we are even more powerful.

Anyone else specifically remember that game? Perhaps I'm overrating it, but it did seem a good enough formula for the Cardiff fixture.

It’s a mental battle. We’re the better team we just need to not shit the bed.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:40 pm 

Keith wrote:
I have bad memories from that day! We were supposed to be going to our friends to watch it, have dinner and get pissed but my car broke down (well actually a brake caliper seized) on the way and after pissing about with the RAC for an eternity we got home just in time for the final whistle :x

'kin calipers!

I'm sure you've seen it, but full match: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5lLj4PUeDY

Hask into the post at 1:59.05

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:41 pm 

DragsterDriver wrote:
Hawk97 wrote:

It’s a mental battle. We’re the better team we just need to not shit the bed.

Or give tons of penalties away. Who's the ref?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:27 am 

Ryan Wilson injured and out of the Eng v Scot game.

England players will be gutted, as they were looking forward to facing him!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:33 am 

Hawk97 wrote:
Or give tons of penalties away. Who's the ref?

Jaco Peyper.

A loss in Cardiff would be a painful reality check.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:20 pm 

Mako out for 10 weeks.

Misses Euro q/f, and possible semi too :frown:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:20 pm 

Mako out for rest of 6Ns apparently :(

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:11 pm 

Huge blow for the Wales game, which is effectively a Grand Slam decider.

Last edited by Rugby2023 on Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:43 pm 

Plastic Sarrie wrote:
Mako out for 10 weeks.

I thought you'd be upset at the news, not excited...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:58 pm 

45jumper wrote:
Plastic Sarrie wrote:
Mako out for 10 weeks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:47 pm 

45jumper wrote:
Plastic Sarrie wrote:
Mako out for 10 weeks.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:30 pm 

fatheralice wrote:
Ryan Wilson injured and out of the Eng v Scot game.

England players will be gutted, as they were looking forward to facing him!

NOOOO!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:31 pm 

Plastic Sarrie wrote:
Mako out for 10 weeks.

fudge NOOOOOO!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:36 pm 

sad to hear about Mako gone, both for club and country he's an enormous loss

but somehow even sadder that Ryan Wilson won't be playing in that Calcutta Cup game, I have a feeling that whoever goes out there it's going to be the most insanely violent Six Nations game in at least a decade

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:39 pm 

45jumper wrote:
Plastic Sarrie wrote:
Mako out for 10 weeks.

:lol: took me a minute!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:41 pm 

openclashXX wrote:

but somehow even sadder that Ryan Wilson won't be playing in that Calcutta Cup game, I have a feeling that whoever goes out there it's going to be the most insanely violent Six Nations game in at least a decade

Blatantly dodging the Twickenham fixture. Malingering little shīt weasel :nod:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:10 pm 

openclashXX wrote:

:lol:

Damn! I was really looking forward to Wilson being smashed by a double tackle from Lawes and Manu.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:28 pm 

More proof, if it were needed, that Hask reads the bored on the House of Rugby podcast this week:

https://youtu.be/SvnhZa316W4?t=653

Quite amusing, had never heard that Morgan was at fault for the Aus defeat before.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:39 am 

Womack wrote:
More proof, if it were needed, that Hask reads the bored on the House of Rugby podcast this week:

Quite amusing, had never heard that Morgan was at fault for the Aus defeat before.

I did smile to the use of the term, “manshaming”...

It’s a good pod, the best of the bunch for me. I guess all players must have a chuckle about both us keyboard warrior, armchair pundit types as well as the press. Interesting that they used to be afraid of them oncey upon a time whereas now they seem to pity them.

You have to imagine that the Chinese Lions type threads and other true PR gold must make the squad banter though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:22 pm 

DragsterDriver wrote:
45jumper wrote:
Plastic Sarrie wrote:
Mako out for 10 weeks.

:lol: took me a minute!

There are pills available if needed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:06 pm 

pjm1 wrote:
Womack wrote:

I did smile to the use of the term, “manshaming”...

It’s a good pod, the best of the bunch for me. I guess all players must have a chuckle about both us keyboard warrior, armchair pundit types as well as the press. Interesting that they used to be afraid of them oncey upon a time whereas now they seem to pity them.

You have to imagine that the Chinese Lions type threads and other true PR gold must make the squad banter though.

Haskell is hilarious, he was hyper in this episode. Not sure I'd like to spend much time around him, but he is funny as, in this format.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:20 pm 

Thought he was unduly harsh towards Alex this week. Not really sure why he's pursuing the "you're so posh" angle so relentlessly, it's not like he's much further down the class ladder.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:29 pm 

sockwithaticket wrote:
Thought he was unduly harsh towards Alex this week. Not really sure why he's pursuing the "you're so posh" angle so relentlessly, it's not like he's much further down the class ladder.

It was hilarious though. The stuff about 'Rope' was brilliant. Also really insightful stuff from The Hask again.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:47 pm 

Dan Robson not included in 25 man squad this week. He really has pissed on Eddies chips.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1902, 1903, 1904, 1905, 1906, 1907, 1908 ... 1979  Next