Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1595, 1596, 1597, 1598, 1599, 1600, 1601 ... 1829  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:31 pm 

With Brad Shields arriving, Jack Willis making a big impact earlier than expected and Tom Willis rated highly, I’m not 100% sure Wasps need another flanker?

Also with Tommy Taylor back to fitness and Tom Cruse looking like a very capable deputy, Ashley Johnson would probably be considered as a 6 too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:52 pm 

Gospel wrote:
I don't think Haskell was holding Wasps back. His all round ability, versatility and experience have been massive for Wasps. I do understand the logic and the pragmatism in the decision - I'm just surprised he's been given the bums rush for the door. As for not fitting the Wasps game plan I think that's nonsense.

I'll stir the pot a bit ... not as powerful a bosher as Smashley or Hughes. Not anywhere near as effective a linkman as Young or as Shields will be (or as Thompson has been. He's the one I'd be keeping around for a bench option / injury coverage, and at a much cheaper rate than Hask, surely).

Not to mention 2 x Willis, Reider and even Gaskell at 6.

Even more so, if Nizaam Carr decides to come back.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:26 pm 

Simmonds out for the Scotland game - shoulder injury.

We don't have much luck with number 8s.

Hughes could be making a quick return :?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:35 pm 

fatcat wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:
Sam Moore and Ibitoye named as an apprentice player in Eddie's latest 32 man training squad.

Wtf? :lol:

That is genuinely funny.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:42 pm 

ovalball wrote:

Ben Morgan will not stop until he has destroyed every EQP 8 in the Prem

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:46 pm 

Chuckles1188 wrote:
ovalball wrote:

Ben Morgan will not stop until he has destroyed every EQP 8 in the Prem

His kit bag is definitely getting a bit suspicious...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:52 pm 

Maybe Mercer to start and Hughes to bench. I'd like to see what Mercer can do.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:01 pm 

Mercer to start would be nice.

Is it confirmed Simmonds is out or is he a doubt?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:07 pm 

Wendigo7 wrote:

He’s not in the training squad, so presumably out.

Who’s this Sam Moore lad? See Gary Graham has dropped out of the squad.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:18 pm 

Joost wrote:
Wendigo7 wrote:

He’s not in the training squad, so presumably out.

Who’s this Sam Moore lad? See Gary Graham has dropped out of the squad.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugb ... 07421.html

At home recovering, he's still free to play against Scotland but at home trying to speed up recovery. Presumably didn't see the point in utilising him vs the Georgian Pack which will be feisty to say the least.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:25 pm 

ovalball wrote:

FFS - it’s getting ridiculous. On the plus side, Scotland don’t really have a particularly strong number 8.

Hopefully Mercer gets a shot.

Hughes looked so far off the pace yesterday that I don’t think two weeks will be anywhere near long enough for him to get back to match fitness.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:46 pm 

Scrumhead wrote:
ovalball wrote:

FFS - it’s getting ridiculous. On the plus side, Scotland don’t really have a particularly strong number 8.

Hughes looked so far off the pace yesterday that I don’t think two weeks will be anywhere near long enough for him to get back to match fitness.

Give Mercer a go.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:12 pm 

More chance of finding Jessica Alba naked in my bathroom tonight than Eddie starting Mercer at 8 at Murrayfield. The bloke's so conservative he'd probably rather start an experienced front rower at 8 than a no capper in that sort of game.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:13 pm 

Scrumhead wrote:
ovalball wrote:

Denton looked pretty good when he came on against France.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:15 pm 

englishchief wrote:
More chance of finding Jessica Alba naked in my bathroom tonight than Eddie starting Mercer at 8 at Murrayfield. The bloke's so conservative he'd probably rather start an experienced front rower at 8 than a no capper in that sort of game.

I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see him put Robshaw there is Hughes isn't ready. I'd much rather he didn't though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:27 pm 

ovalball wrote:
englishchief wrote:

I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see him put Robshaw there is Hughes isn't ready. I'd much rather he didn't though.

But which lock will wear the 7 shirt?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:11 am 

Plodshaw to 8, Johnny May to flanker with his head up Mako's 'arris at scrum time. Denny on the wing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:52 am 

I know Mercer did well at u20s, and he's looked handy at AP, but he's really not put in an international type performance yet, do people really want him to start???

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:14 am 

I must say, Mercer strikes me as a 'highlights' player at the moment and he's not the biggest. Having said that, it might not be a problem against Scotland as they love to throw the ball about. Which would make Hughes' lack of match fitness even more of a concern.
As for Moore, really pleased for him. Strauss hasn't been pulling up trees for us at eight so there could be an opening there sooner rather than later if he keeps developing. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:16 am 

Who is mercer’s current uninjured competition?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:20 am 

Cometh the hour, cometh the Timmy.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:28 am 

x(

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:44 am 

Wrote this for elsewhere, but hopefully you lot can enjoy it too.

Raggs wrote:
Just posting this here for reference of an international performance (AIs vs Aus):

Raggs wrote:
Stealing this from rugbyplanet forum, thank you RodneyRegis for doing it.

Quote:
OK - so positive involvements:
Ruck attended (so a 3 ruck mark is one interaction, as is a 1 ruck mark)
Kick, pass, run, offload, break, defender beaten, tackle completed

negative involvements
Missed tackle
pen
turnover conceded

Net positive involvements
Itoje 39 in 63, 6.2 positive involvements every 10 mins
Hughes 37 in 63, 5.9
Hartley 33 in 57, 5.8
Robshaw 46 in 80, 5.8
Launch 45 in 80, 5.6
Lawes 37 in 80, 4.6
Underhill 7 in 17, 4.1
Simmonds 7 in 17, 4.1
Williams 5 in 13, 3.5
MArler 5 in 16, 3.1
Cole 20 in 67, 3.0
Make 19 in 64, 3.0

Hartley's work rate for front rower is impressive. Itoje & Hughes constantly involved, and the engine on Robshaw and Launchbury is incredible.

Again, there are caveats, such as ruck effectiveness isn't included, nor is whether it was a dominant tackle, or a try saver, or a miss due to a pressurising rush, or just a bad miss. Nor is a penalty scored more harshly than a knock on etc.

OK, so the RodneyRegis numbers doesn't include lineouts. Willis took two lineouts, including one at the tail right near the end of the game, he also got up to put serious pressure and made a mess of one of the Quins lineouts (not a steal though). I am not including these.

Willis was part of 48 rucks. That gives him a total of 82 positive interactions. Please note the list from the Aus game. Launch and Robshaw were the highest that played the whole game with 45 and 46 respectively (that's their rucks hit, and everything else). Itoje had the highest rate at 6.2 every 10 minutes. Willis was basically 10 for every 10. 1 positive interaction every minute of the game. This was in a game where every player would have had to have covered extra distance to make up for the man down. The man is an absolute machine.

There were 21 attacking rucks, and 27 defensive. I only caught him ruck inspecting twice (one may be excused if he thought the box kick was coming), the other times I felt he was at least serving some purpose.

He successfully cleaned up 3 loose and bouncing balls, one from a lineout he slid in, grabbed it, got to his feet in one smooth movement, and proceeded to beat the first defender and carry another 5 yards with 2/3 defenders on him.

He caught one of Wasps short restarts from Cips, which is a very handy skill as well.

In terms of an Eddie type 7, not too many big clearouts on attack, but then it mostly wasn't required, and I didn't see him fail on one. There was one blindside break from the scrum, where Wallace was over the ball and Willis cleared him out cleanly, definitely capable of big clearouts. Should he have been there first? Maybe, but he could have been expecting Thompson to offload or pass before going to ground. Did potentially seem a little slow of the scrum later in the game, but it may be he's been told to shove as the blindside, rather than look to break.

A few times he didn't get given a ruck mark, as he was supporting the carrier through, and just came off his feet as they both went down, still providing a useful service though.

When the ball comes to where he is, he definitely seems to be a preferred carrier, so won't be clearing out as much.

First successful turnover 33.40 with a counter ruck, Matthews then throws it up off the ground and is penalised. Sinckler throws the ball at Willis' face, Willis reacts fast enough to catch it (does lots of crazy catch practice with Hask judging from the videos!), Ward complains he played the 9 (nope, the 9 just got squashed by Quins own man), Sinkler then starts F-ing and blinding, gets sent back 10.

2nd turnover, steals the ball at 38.45, killing a promising Quins attack. 3 Quins on him, enormous strength shown.

3rd turnover, Guy Thompson asks if they can counter ruck, Barnes says yes, Willis obliges.

4th turnover 54.17 He'd seriously slowed good attacking ball a few phases earlier, and now turnsover 5m from the tryline. And it's not that he's got lightweights trying to clear him, Sinkler hits him, Ward has a go, Chisholm throws in a shoulder too. He took a massive hit from Matthews in that earlier slow down too.

5th turnover 73.45. Tested the previous ruck but gave it up, got this one.

75m and Willis is still making powerful carries.

81.50 Slows Quins right down after they took a quick tap, gives our defence a chance to organise.

Overall, bloody hell. Compared to the Aus ruck marks and interactions, Willis is a mile ahead, same is true of the previous international game I did. I also did a Wasps game from a while back, where Guy Thompson was massively busy, hitting 35 rucks and a ton of other stuff, and still only got to 64 total interactions. OK, I didn't break down the actual score of each ruck for Willis, as with the changes, it's going to be lower due to less hits being required, but 5 turnovers is 25 points on it's own. He slowed ball enough to score probably another 12 points at least from failed steals, and had the big hit on Wallace, so take 10 rucks away from 48, and even if the rest are just 1 pointers (which they aren't, guard is 2 and will makeup a good number of those), he still scores 79 ruck marks absolute minimum. More likely to be pushing the 100 mark would be my guess.

Asides:

I know Hughes gets a lot of stick here, but he knows the laws and adaptations. Very late in the game Matthews moves the ball with his hands, and Hughes yells he's moved it and goes for him. Barnes penalises him, Hughes tells him he moved it, Barnes says he has to lift it (but that's not true as of this weekend, moving it with the hands is enough). He's generally been smart with the no offside line when no ruck (not that it applies anymore), and the tackled, release, stand and run again. Where he lets himself down, including this Matthews one, is he doesn't consider what is likely to happen. He's sure he's right (and he often is), but doesn't think about how the ref is likely to react.

That tackle from Alofa on Bassett is nasty, they replay it, but don't realise that it's well after the whistle on the replay, Alofa doesn't even have hold of Bassett when the whistle goes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:55 am 

Cheers, for that, interesting stats. Would be interested to see how they compared to the forwards from other nations. Willis' stats are unreal, although granted it's only an AP game.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:55 pm 

Possible changes for the Scotland game

Assuming Simmonds isn't fit.

Hughes to 8, Mercer to bench

The Hask to 7, Robshaw to 6 and Lawes to bench. Possibly a bit harsh on Underhill after that tackle and we might lose a little line speed.

Marler to bench (Although, personally, I'd start Marler and have Maro on the bench)

JJ stays at 13, Teo on the bench.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:18 pm 

englishchief wrote:

Robshaw, Itoje, Lawes it is then ... :uhoh:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:43 am 

No offence but trying to compare impact in a match against a self destructing lower table league side with what people do in internationals is ridiculous.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:00 am 

JM2K6 wrote:
No offence but trying to compare impact in a match against a self destructing lower table league side with what people do in internationals is ridiculous.

Indeed - but how else do you suggest that potential England players are measured, before they play internationals. They can only prove their mettle in club games - and be compared with others playing in the same, and similar, games.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:03 am 

Eddie is apparently not going to release Hughes back to Wasps for some game time this Sunday (v Exeter :x ) so it seems he will be playing at Murrayfield with just the benefits of England's conditioning

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:06 am 

Petros wrote:
Eddie is apparently not going to release Hughes back to Wasps for some game time this Sunday (v Exeter :x ) so it seems he will be playing at Murrayfield with just the benefits of England's conditioning

I think he could have done with the game, but I guess Eddie doesn't want to risk him, given our paucity of remaining options @ 8. I can't see him doing anywhere near 80 mins v the Scots though - it's like to be a pretty fast paced game.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:11 am 

Willis has stood out in all of the games he’s played in TBH. Underhill stands out in a purely defensive capacity whereas as Willis seems a lot more rounded.

My only concern would be whether he’d be effective in England’s current system. Right now, we don’t even try to compete at the breakdown, so unless we change our approach, we’d potentially be limiting his impact by negating one of his strongest skills.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:13 am 

Scrumhead wrote:
Willis has stood out in all of the games he’s played in TBH. Underhill stands out in a purely defensive capacity whereas as Willis seems a lot more rounded.

My only concern would be whether he’d be effective in England’s current system. Right now, we don’t even try to compete at the breakdown, so unless we change our approach, we’d potentially be limiting his impact by negating one of his strongest skills.

I'm hoping Wasps are moving towards a serious effort at the breakdown. Not only is turnover ball obviously useful, but the extra men quins had to commit to the breakdown pretty much negated their man advantage in attack.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:22 am 

Jack Willis is an extraordinary talent - he's McCaw like in choosing when to commit and when not to commit and when he does commit his technique over the ball is immense. Can he play openside?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:26 am 

Chips wrote:
Jack Willis is an extraordinary talent - he's McCaw like in choosing when to commit and when not to commit and when he does commit his technique over the ball is immense. Can he play openside?

He got plenty of tutoring from George Smith on when to go in and when not to. He can play openside, but I guess like Jones, Dai Young wants pace/acceleration from his 7, so normally Willis is at 6.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:30 am 

Raggs wrote:
Chips wrote:

He got plenty of tutoring from George Smith on when to go in and when not to. He can play openside, but I guess like Jones, Dai Young wants pace/acceleration from his 7, so normally Willis is at 6.

I like my 6 to be a brute - carrying and tackling. Quite a traditional role really.

A player who is so good at the breakdown without getting pinged to death is a very rare beast nowadays. Big Bill is fairly priceless in regards what he can do from no.8 so if Willis is going to make a late run for the RWC squad then it's likely at 7 where he can get in. And lets be honest, it is not exactly a strong position for England is it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:31 am 

Chips wrote:
Raggs wrote:
Chips wrote:

I like my 6 to be a brute - carrying and tackling. Quite a traditional role really.

A player who is so good at the breakdown without getting pinged to death is a very rare beast nowadays. Big Bill is fairly priceless in regards what he can do from no.8 so if Willis is going to make a late run for the RWC squad then it's likely at 7 where he can get in. And lets be honest, it is not exactly a strong position for England is it.

What's he like in the lineout??

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:35 am 

Raggs wrote:
Chips wrote:

Dai Young has the luxury of being able to pick Thomas Young who, aside from being his son, offers the pace and linking game you’re referring to. We don’t really have that with England, unless that’s where Simmonds ends up?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:35 am 

happyhooker wrote:
Chips wrote:
Raggs wrote:
Chips wrote:

No idea but he doesn't look massively built - somewhere between Robshaw and Lawes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:36 am 

happyhooker wrote:
Chips wrote:
Raggs wrote:
Chips wrote:

He can tackle well, and he carries well. He took 2 lineouts in the Quins game, and also interfered heavily with one Quins throw in, so at the very least he's an option. I think he's probably a very good 6 who can cover 7.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:38 am 

Doesn't seem to have really been mentioned anywhere on the Forum, apologies if it has.

What are the thoughts on Saints new signing Taqele Naiyaravoro?

I don't know a huge amount about him, other than watching some clips. Seems like a direct replacement for North (on less money I assume). Reminds me a little of Alesana Tuilagi with some of those 'sidesteps'. Saints desperately need some depth a wing and fullback, so happy with this signing.

It will be interesting to see how he goes.

Edit: Just read he's 124KG and that's after dropping 12KG prior to the start of Super rugby this year :shock: :shock:

Last edited by Angry_Bull on Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1595, 1596, 1597, 1598, 1599, 1600, 1601 ... 1829  Next