Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61442 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1426, 1427, 1428, 1429, 1430, 1431, 1432 ... 1537  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:02 am 

Mick Mannock wrote:
Madness wrote:
Current EPS

45-man elite player squad:

Forwards

Josh Beaumont (Sale Sharks), Nathan Catt (Bath Rugby), Jack Clifford (Harlequins), Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers), Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs), Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby), Jamie George (Saracens), Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints), James Haskell (Wasps), Paul Hill (Northampton Saints), Nathan Hughes (Wasps), Maro Itoje (Saracens), Sam Jones (Wasps), George Kruis (Saracens), Joe Launchbury (Wasps), Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints), Joe Marler (Harlequins), Matt Mullan (Wasps), Chris Robshaw (Harlequins), Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins), Tommy Taylor (Wasps), Billy Vunipola (Saracens), Mako Vunipola (Saracens), Mike Williams (Leicester Tigers), Tom Wood (Northampton Saints).

Backs
Mike Brown (Harlequins), Danny Care (Harlequins), Elliot Daly (Wasps), Owen Farrell (Saracens), George Ford (Bath Rugby), Mike Haley (Sale Sharks), Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby), Alex Lozowski (Saracens), Joe Marchant (Harlequins), Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby), Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs), Dan Robson (Wasps), Semesa Rokoduguni (Bath Rugby), Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs), Ben Spencer (Saracens), Ben Te’o (Worcester Warriors), Manu Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers), Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby), Marland Yarde (Harlequins), Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers).

Players at risk for me

Beaumont - Curry
Catt - Genge
Hill - Williams
Jones - Wilson
Williams - Underhill
Wood - Curry
Haley - ?
Roko - Solomona
Robson/Spencer - Maunder
Manu - Francis

no place for Collier?

Saint Eddie name checked Williams rather than Collier, so I reckon he'll go with Cole, Sinks and Williams

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:02 am 

Chuckles1188 wrote:
Curry's not going to be in the EPS soon, he's still very much a baby (has he turned 19 yet?). But given some time to develop he could be fearsome indeed. Outside chance of a bench spot by RWC2019, more likely he's the new Maro and will start to show what he can really offer after that point

He could be, but they both look fairly well physically developed already (albeit still young), and not a huge frame to pack more on. I guess they could end up more like Hooper with the correct conditioning, but considering Eddie's current choice of 7, I agree with you and I don't see a switch to a Curry coming soon.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:04 am 

Raggs wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Curry's not going to be in the EPS soon, he's still very much a baby (has he turned 19 yet?). But given some time to develop he could be fearsome indeed. Outside chance of a bench spot by RWC2019, more likely he's the new Maro and will start to show what he can really offer after that point

He could be, but they both look fairly well physically developed already (albeit still young), and not a huge frame to pack more on. I guess they could end up more like Hooper with the correct conditioning, but considering Eddie's current choice of 7, I agree with you and I don't see a switch to a Curry coming soon.

I was thinking more about him becoming cannier than more physically beastly.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:09 am 

Mick Mannock wrote:
no place for Collier?

Eating humble pie here. I mentioned last week that I don't recall seeing Collier ever having a particularly good match when I've watched him for Quins!
Well I've watched him for England twice in 2 weeks albeit as a sub and twice he has had a positive effect on the scrum and the match. I hope he continues to develop well.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:11 am 

Raggs wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:

Curry will need more bite around the breakdown and in the tackle. But even as is he may push more than we think. I wonder if England were really switched on to the tunovers he secured as it's not really been in our game much that we'd have such chances, given the team (with either Ford or Faz at 10) another 3-4 games with Curry at 7 and the conversation around Curry might change rather a lot.

That said Curry does need more bite, and it's probably not nothing if Eddie was more taken by Ben than Tom.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:23 am 

Madness wrote:
Current EPS

45-man elite player squad:

Forwards

Josh Beaumont (Sale Sharks), Nathan Catt (Bath Rugby), Jack Clifford (Harlequins), Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers), Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs), Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby), Jamie George (Saracens), Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints), James Haskell (Wasps), Paul Hill (Northampton Saints), Nathan Hughes (Wasps), Maro Itoje (Saracens), Sam Jones (Wasps), George Kruis (Saracens), Joe Launchbury (Wasps), Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints), Joe Marler (Harlequins), Matt Mullan (Wasps), Chris Robshaw (Harlequins), Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins), Tommy Taylor (Wasps), Billy Vunipola (Saracens), Mako Vunipola (Saracens), Mike Williams (Leicester Tigers), Tom Wood (Northampton Saints).

Backs
Mike Brown (Harlequins), Danny Care (Harlequins), Elliot Daly (Wasps), Owen Farrell (Saracens), George Ford (Bath Rugby), Mike Haley (Sale Sharks), Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby), Alex Lozowski (Saracens), Joe Marchant (Harlequins), Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby), Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs), Dan Robson (Wasps), Semesa Rokoduguni (Bath Rugby), Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs), Ben Spencer (Saracens), Ben Te’o (Worcester Warriors), Manu Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers), Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby), Marland Yarde (Harlequins), Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers).

Players at risk for me

Beaumont - Curry
Catt - Genge
Hill - Williams
Jones - Wilson
Williams - Underhill
Wood - Curry
Haley - ?
Roko - Solomona
Robson/Spencer - Maunder
Manu - Francis

Based upon Eddie's comments, I'd agree with the above. Haley doesn't necessarily need to be replaced. He did will in the Barbarians game and was unlucky not to tour. I suspect he may have done if Cokanasiga hadn't sufficiently recovered from his injury to make the plane.

I'd imagine Slade is also at risk following an absolute shocker of a performance last night. Eddie might take a punt on Manu finding fitness and form and swap Francis in for Slade instead?

Jack Clifford is another one. I could see him losing out to someone like Armand or possibly Mercer?

Last edited by Scrumhead on Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:27 am 

piquant wrote:
Raggs wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:

Curry will need more bite around the breakdown and in the tackle. But even as is he may push more than we think. I wonder if England were really switched on to the tunovers he secured as it's not really been in our game much that we'd have such chances, given the team (with either Ford or Faz at 10) another 3-4 games with Curry at 7 and the conversation around Curry might change rather a lot.

That said Curry does need more bite, and it's probably not nothing if Eddie was more taken by Ben than Tom.

Was he though? Ben Curry was in line to be on the bench against the Barbarians, not Tom. The way I see it, Ben had a back spasm and Tom took his chance to the extent that he earned the debut in the first test. Underhill would have been ahead of Tom too but for the shoulder injury. I wouldn't write Ben Curry off. After all, he was the better of the two last season.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:30 am 

I think you're agreeing with him

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:38 am 

:blush: :blush: :blush:

And the d!ck of the day award goes to ...

Yes - on reflection, I was absolutely agreeing! Clearly misread that post!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:41 am 

Wow, the numbers don't look at Underhill favourably really. There were fewer tackles and fewer rucks, and he was on for only 60 minutes instead of 70, but Curry definitely came out on top in terms of workrate.

Curry
Defence
Offence

--------

Underhill
Defence

Offence

We didn't have as many rucks in the second game, and it may be a large number occurred in the last 20 of that 2nd half (the first half was really quiet to start with). Without counting all the tackles of the time that the players weren't on, it'd be tough to tell.

Impressions are Underhill has the physicality I suspect Eddie will like, but Curry is getting to a lot more rucks. Thing is, at a lot of them he just went over the top, past the ruck and didn't take anyone down whilst doing it. Underhill seemed more effective in what he did do, Curry simply did a lot more.

I seriously suspect that the differences between the games has led to a bit of the numbers difference, 239 tackles in the first test, vs 170 in the 2nd. And of course Curry getting another 10 minutes.

For me Curry would represent revolution, he's sniffing around a lot of defensive rucks (a lot of this accounts for his 1s and 2s), Underhill is an evolution. I wonder if Underhill could be another 6.5 too.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:47 am 

The 2nd test had too many handling errors, made it hard for Underhill to get properly stuck in. Made it even worse for us given we had a midfield for handling rather than carrying

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:13 pm 

Definitely too much sloppiness in the centres, very disappointing.

Oh yeah, Brown also made a 3rd very good pass, running back a kick, commits the defender and passes to May. Has something clicked in his brain?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:14 pm 

Raggs wrote:

Oh yeah, Brown also made a 3rd very good pass, running back a kick, commits the defender and passes to May. Has something clicked in his brain?

Concussion?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:22 pm 

Brown last played like that when Quims tore Wasps a new one in the AP. :|

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:23 pm 

JM2K6 wrote:
Raggs wrote:

Concussion?

Finally symptom free from previous issues??

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:26 pm 

Raggs wrote:
Just watched and done ruck marks on Curry alone in the first test, will take a bit of a break and do the same for Underhill in the 2nd.

Brief notes though, he's not a physical carrying option in the slightest, and the lack of physicality pretty much goes through his game. He managed one stopping hit against a forward carrier (in 14 tackles), and I didn't see any good clearouts in rucks. His worst moment would have to be his failure to clear out the Argie 9 off of Hughes in the messy ruck. Likes to overrun the rucks a lot, but didn't take many people out the game with it (which is half the point).

Very good in getting turnovers when fresh though, quick back on his feet to attack the ball, unfortunately I believe tacklers rights are getting removed, and unless he's making big tackles, he'll be on the wrong side to continue to take advantage of that.

May have to go back and do one for Wilson though, noticed him a lot.

Currys wurst moment was walking off the scrum gifting a try.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:20 pm 

Raggs wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
Raggs wrote:

Concussion?

I was suggesting maybe he got another head knock and it stopped him remembering how much he likes to just run into people but thank you for taking me seriously :lol: :blush:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:27 pm 

DragsterDriver wrote:
Raggs wrote:
Just watched and done ruck marks on Curry alone in the first test, will take a bit of a break and do the same for Underhill in the 2nd.

Brief notes though, he's not a physical carrying option in the slightest, and the lack of physicality pretty much goes through his game. He managed one stopping hit against a forward carrier (in 14 tackles), and I didn't see any good clearouts in rucks. His worst moment would have to be his failure to clear out the Argie 9 off of Hughes in the messy ruck. Likes to overrun the rucks a lot, but didn't take many people out the game with it (which is half the point).

Very good in getting turnovers when fresh though, quick back on his feet to attack the ball, unfortunately I believe tacklers rights are getting removed, and unless he's making big tackles, he'll be on the wrong side to continue to take advantage of that.

Groan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:44 pm 

JM2K6 wrote:
Raggs wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
Raggs wrote:

Concussion?

I was suggesting maybe he got another head knock and it stopped him remembering how much he likes to just run into people but thank you for taking me seriously :lol: :blush:

I wasn't taking you seriously! Just approaching from another angle :D.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:35 pm 

Brown seems to thrive under Eddie's version of chaos theory. Is it because Brown has been the perpetrator of most of the unplanned chaos for several years ?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:37 pm 

:|

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:37 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:
Raggs wrote:

Groan

I'm working on my own in 30deg heat gimme a break :P

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:59 pm 

DragsterDriver wrote:
Raggs wrote:

:lol:
Was that on purpose, meine freunde?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:40 pm 

Anonymous. wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Who was bitching about Ford's place kicking again?

I've said before the problem with his place kicking is he can be perfect one day and then inexplicably not be able to kick goals from in front of the post. It's crazy as his off days can be in games where his team is winning easy and his really good days can be in high pressure games. It's just odd and unreliable.

It was good to see him kick well in Argentina, but I still wouldn't like to rely on his goal-kicking to win a crunch game. He has been so, so poor off the tee at times.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:45 pm 

SaintK wrote:
bealonian wrote:
If Farrell has the kind of Lions tour I'm expecting him to have, I think he could easily assume captaincy of the England side on his return.

That frees up the hooker slot for George, LCD, Taylor and the full back slot for Watson, Daly, Nowell etc. The rest of the co-captains think can do one.

Good call. A changing of some of the guard should take place for the next 6N. Though EJ is unlikely to drop all of them in one go. Wouldn't be surprised if Robshaw and Haskell will still be around for a while yet

Injuries usually decide these matters tbh. Players seem to drop like flies before test windows so EJ might be glad of having Haskell, Robshaw or even Wood available. The more quality players to pick from the better. Iirc EJ said he wanted 3 options in every position.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:06 pm 

Gospel wrote:
Brown last played like that when Quims tore Wasps a new one in the AP. :|

He made 18 passes :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:18 pm 

Hawk97 wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:
Raggs wrote:

Was that on purpose, meine freunde?

Ja, I was trying to be a funny plum.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:52 pm 

Rugby2023 wrote:
SaintK wrote:
bealonian wrote:
If Farrell has the kind of Lions tour I'm expecting him to have, I think he could easily assume captaincy of the England side on his return.

That frees up the hooker slot for George, LCD, Taylor and the full back slot for Watson, Daly, Nowell etc. The rest of the co-captains think can do one.

Good call. A changing of some of the guard should take place for the next 6N. Though EJ is unlikely to drop all of them in one go. Wouldn't be surprised if Robshaw and Haskell will still be around for a while yet

Injuries usually decide these matters tbh. Players seem to drop like flies before test windows so EJ might be glad of having Haskell, Robshaw or even Wood available. The more quality players to pick from the better. Iirc EJ said he wanted 3 options in every position.

And now he's saying he has 61 up for selection, so that's 4 for every position (on average)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:21 pm 

I assume the 60 is made up of the 30 in Argentina, the 16 Lions (including Billy and Youngs) and others in the EPS who were ruled out through injury/suspension.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:50 pm 

You lads might enjoy Mako here.

https://twitter.com/hairyrucker1/status ... 1176666113

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:55 pm 

YOYO wrote:

Seen that on fbook earlier, but couldnt find a link.

It's worthy of its own article. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:03 am 

armchair pundit wrote:
YOYO wrote:

Quickly converted into a gif on the Irish thread.
Furlong must have felt a bit violated.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:12 am 

YOYO wrote:
armchair pundit wrote:
YOYO wrote:

Quickly converted into a gif on the Irish thread.
Furlong must have felt a bit violated.

I think jamie george was more violated for having to watch.

Nah, he seemed pretty cool after it. Good to know that theyve got a good enough team bond to be able to do that sort of shit without worrying about it tbh.

Funny clip anyway <ok>

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:01 am 

Don't know if any of you have seen, but Tom Curry has been given a buzz cut by the England lads. Was doing the rounds on social media.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:26 pm 

RR from a Lions thread no doubt, but how the flip has Lawes been passed fit to play in the Chiefs game? He was spark out, and this comes only a few weeks after having to go off from taking a blow to the head in the game against Exeter. I know he plays for Saints (pre-emptive strike) but surely there must be a high degree of risk playing him in this game.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:31 pm 

YOYO wrote:

:o

I'm off for ten minutes...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:32 pm 

Oxbow wrote:
RR from a Lions thread no doubt, but how the flip has Lawes been passed fit to play in the Chiefs game? He was spark out, and this comes only a few weeks after having to go off from taking a blow to the head in the game against Exeter. I know he plays for Saints (pre-emptive strike) but surely there must be a high degree of risk playing him in this game.

The answer is because it's not based on how recent it was or how out he was, but whether he passed all the cognitive tests and related ways of ensuring he has no further effects.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:33 pm 

Oxbow wrote:

I'm very surprised he has been named. I wouldn't be surprised if he is pulled pre-game and we get Hill starting. Gatland probably couldn't face naming one of his 4 Welsh play-things in the starting lineup as he knew he'd get criticised for it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:33 pm 

Not being funny but Lawe's base score on the concussion test could probably be passed by a potato.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:37 pm 

DragsterDriver wrote:
Not being funny but Lawe's base score on the concussion test could probably be passed by a potato.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61442 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1426, 1427, 1428, 1429, 1430, 1431, 1432 ... 1537  Next