Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57362 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1427, 1428, 1429, 1430, 1431, 1432, 1433 ... 1435  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:53 pm 

DragsterDriver wrote:
Not being funny but Lawe's base score on the concussion test could probably be passed by a potato.

:lol: :lol:

I think he and Sonny Bill Williams are in competition for the thickest sounding pro rugby player title.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:09 pm 

JM2K6 wrote:
After a shaky start to the first Test, Yarde ended up doing pretty well in that game. Was not good today and unlike some wings he will never recover a dodgy defensive situation. Ultimately he has too many weaknesses for international rugby, but let's not pretend he was dire in the first game and we couldn't pick an entire team of neophytes. Eddie blooded a ton of players and win the series two zip.

Yes, Yarde was good in the first test. It looked like replacing him with Solomona had cost England the game. He was also good against Australia in his last game for England. He is a solid back-up option. Watson & Daly would be my first choice wings, Nowell covering from the bench.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:11 pm 

JM2K6 wrote:
Oxbow wrote:
RR from a Lions thread no doubt, but how the flip has Lawes been passed fit to play in the Chiefs game? He was spark out, and this comes only a few weeks after having to go off from taking a blow to the head in the game against Exeter. I know he plays for Saints (pre-emptive strike) but surely there must be a high degree of risk playing him in this game.

The answer is because it's not based on how recent it was or how out he was, but whether he passed all the cognitive tests and related ways of ensuring he has no further effects.

I thought that kind of thing resulted in a week stand down as a precaution.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:50 pm 

Wendigo7 wrote:
With Ford's form in England jersey being so strong... I wonder if Jones has the bottle to drop Farrell and go:

10. Ford
12. Teo
13. Joseph

?

Based on their play so far on the tours I'd be interested in seeing Ford-Farrell-Te'o.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:56 pm 

Gospel wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
Oxbow wrote:
RR from a Lions thread no doubt, but how the flip has Lawes been passed fit to play in the Chiefs game? He was spark out, and this comes only a few weeks after having to go off from taking a blow to the head in the game against Exeter. I know he plays for Saints (pre-emptive strike) but surely there must be a high degree of risk playing him in this game.

The answer is because it's not based on how recent it was or how out he was, but whether he passed all the cognitive tests and related ways of ensuring he has no further effects.

I thought that kind of thing resulted in a week stand down as a precaution.

Not for ages.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:02 pm 

englishchief wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:
Not being funny but Lawe's base score on the concussion test could probably be passed by a potato.

I think he and Sonny Bill Williams are in competition for the thickest sounding pro rugby player title.

Lawes really isn't the sharpest but a nice bloke, SBW on the other hand was pretty sharp and a really nice guy which surprised me...he's like a Greek god in the flesh- women were swooning and had no idea who he was :o

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:32 am 

DragsterDriver wrote:
Spoiler: show
englishchief wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:

Lawes really isn't the sharpest but a nice bloke, SBW on the other hand was pretty sharp and a really nice guy which surprised me...he's like a Greek god in the flesh- women were swooning and had no idea who he was :o

My missus absolutely loves SBW, think she wants to watch the first test purely because of him :frown: :lol:

Also pretty chuffed with the JOC signing, our backline for next season is looking very exciting (if not a little loose)!
This lot on a hot day would be brilliant to watch - De Klerk, JOC, Odogwu/Charnley, James, Addison, Solomona, Haley :shock: :lol:
Fun as that would be, I don't think he's at his best at 10. MacGinty would be better there so not sure where he fits in on a regular basis if I'm honest. Maybe at centre?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:29 am 

45jumper wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:
Spoiler: show
englishchief wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:

My missus absolutely loves SBW, think she wants to watch the first test purely because of him :frown: :lol:

Also pretty chuffed with the JOC signing, our backline for next season is looking very exciting (if not a little loose)!
This lot on a hot day would be brilliant to watch - De Klerk, JOC, Odogwu/Charnley, James, Addison, Solomona, Haley :shock: :lol:
Fun as that would be, I don't think he's at his best at 10. MacGinty would be better there so not sure where he fits in on a regular basis if I'm honest. Maybe at centre?

Not bad to have the option at 10 or 12, not least given how much time Addison tends to spend out injured. Macginty-JOC-James would worry teams, plus we also have the option of Jennings.

Squad's shaping up nicely for next year now. Have we signed a baby-eating lock at all?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:55 am 

Apparently we're favourites to sign Grobler from Racing 92 (though Toulon and Munster are also interested), a massive South African who has previously served a two year ban for doping. Looks like he's done pretty well over there so I'd be pleased with it. Only 25 as well :thumbup:
Evans, Grobler, Beaumont, Ostrikov and Nott gives us big depth with differing skillsets, something we've lacked for a while.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:07 pm 

England with the 2 starting wingers for the Lions.

Who'd have thought that ?!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:14 pm 

armchair pundit wrote:

George starting, Hartley off form

Surely not reasonable for Hartley to remain as starter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:17 pm 

le chat wrote:
armchair pundit wrote:

Is Hartley off form?

I doubt Eddie gives a wet shit what Gatland thinks about the pecking order tbh.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:55 pm 

Chuckles1188 wrote:
le chat wrote:
armchair pundit wrote:

Is Hartley off form?

Agreed, think Eddie likes his finishers too so until another hooker proves they can offer impact off the bench he could leave George there...

Daly and Watson are probs our first choice wings, Teo starting is interesting but it's not like ford and Farrell aren't in good form either. All nice options for him to have really

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:05 pm 

Hilarious Sale Sharks statement on the Denny Saga :lol:

http://www.salesharks.com/news/5197.php#.WUrQ8WjyuUk

Quote:
Sale Sharks and Denny Solomona are delighted that the court case with Castleford Tigers has been resolved on favourable terms.

The settlement sum accepted by Castleford is effectively the same £200,000 figure initially offered by Sale last year, with a small amount added for interest. Given that a potentially sizeable proportion of the legal costs may not be recoverable from Sale, it is inevitable that Castleford's net position will be significantly lower than that £200,000 figure offered last year.

The last 10 months have therefore been nothing more than an unnecessary distraction, and the court case has achieved nothing other than wasted time and legal fees for all involved. Castleford issued proceedings prematurely, in a hail of publicity, seeking in excess of £500,000 damages and with a purported desire to fight this case for the good of Rugby League. This settlement proves that this was not the case. There has been no ruling at all and this case does not set a precedent for future dealings between Rugby League and Rugby Union. If that was Castleford's desire, they have failed to provide any clarity at all for other Rugby League clubs, which suggests that their primary, if not only, motivation was to get monetary compensation. Even so, they will receive approximately 40% of the sum they hoped for.

Sale Sharks and Denny were quite willing to let the case run to trial, confident that they had done nothing wrong. There was an assumption (put forward by Castleford in the media) that Denny was in breach of his contract, yet there was evidence to show that he was treated unprofessionally by Castleford and Denny maintains that the club forced him into a position where his only future was in a different sport.

In the end, however, settlement of the dispute allows Sale Sharks and Denny to concentrate solely on playing rugby and to prepare for what is sure to be an exciting and, hopefully, successful season. The parties were looking to send a joint press statement, but the fact that Castleford jumped the gun with their own press release suggests that they have sought to put a positive spin on what is clearly a meagre result.

Neither Sale Sharks nor Denny will be making any further comment on this matter."

Marc Yaffe head of commercial litigation at JMW Solicitors, who represented Sale Sharks, Denny Solomona along with his colleague Claire Brown, said:

"We are pleased to have secured an extremely successful outcome for all of our clients and now Sale Sharks and Denny Solomona can fully focus on their preparations for the forthcoming season. In my opinion, this case could and should have been resolved without the need for legal proceedings. We will be making submissions in that regard when we look at legal fees unnecessarily incurred. It has been a pleasure to work with Steve Diamond and Simon Orange at Sale Sharks, as they and Denny Solomona have been consummate professionals throughout the legal process."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:11 pm 

Ha, take that, Cas.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:19 pm 

:lol:

That's pretty good. Their media stuff is usually pretty amusing. Diamond with the, 'JOC and De Klerk? Complete and utter rubbish, no idea where this rumour came from', a few months before they were confirmed was another highlight

Edit - Also neglects to mention that the settlement amount is 4x what they originally offered

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:28 pm 

Chuckles1188 wrote:
le chat wrote:
armchair pundit wrote:

Is Hartley off form?

I think he is far inferior to George now

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:30 pm 

fatheralice wrote:

Quote:
Sale Sharks and Denny Solomona are delighted that the court case with Castleford Tigers has been resolved on favourable terms.

The settlement sum accepted by Castleford is effectively the same £200,000 figure initially offered by Sale last year, with a small amount added for interest. Given that a potentially sizeable proportion of the legal costs may not be recoverable from Sale, it is inevitable that Castleford's net position will be significantly lower than that £200,000 figure offered last year.

The last 10 months have therefore been nothing more than an unnecessary distraction, and the court case has achieved nothing other than wasted time and legal fees for all involved. Castleford issued proceedings prematurely, in a hail of publicity, seeking in excess of £500,000 damages and with a purported desire to fight this case for the good of Rugby League. This settlement proves that this was not the case. There has been no ruling at all and this case does not set a precedent for future dealings between Rugby League and Rugby Union. If that was Castleford's desire, they have failed to provide any clarity at all for other Rugby League clubs, which suggests that their primary, if not only, motivation was to get monetary compensation. Even so, they will receive approximately 40% of the sum they hoped for.

Sale Sharks and Denny were quite willing to let the case run to trial, confident that they had done nothing wrong. There was an assumption (put forward by Castleford in the media) that Denny was in breach of his contract, yet there was evidence to show that he was treated unprofessionally by Castleford and Denny maintains that the club forced him into a position where his only future was in a different sport.

In the end, however, settlement of the dispute allows Sale Sharks and Denny to concentrate solely on playing rugby and to prepare for what is sure to be an exciting and, hopefully, successful season. The parties were looking to send a joint press statement, but the fact that Castleford jumped the gun with their own press release suggests that they have sought to put a positive spin on what is clearly a meagre result.

Neither Sale Sharks nor Denny will be making any further comment on this matter."

Marc Yaffe head of commercial litigation at JMW Solicitors, who represented Sale Sharks, Denny Solomona along with his colleague Claire Brown, said:

"We are pleased to have secured an extremely successful outcome for all of our clients and now Sale Sharks and Denny Solomona can fully focus on their preparations for the forthcoming season. In my opinion, this case could and should have been resolved without the need for legal proceedings. We will be making submissions in that regard when we look at legal fees unnecessarily incurred. It has been a pleasure to work with Steve Diamond and Simon Orange at Sale Sharks, as they and Denny Solomona have been consummate professionals throughout the legal process."

very unclassy by Sale

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:39 pm 

I get the impression that they are mocking Rugby League, which I find very distasteful and a poor way to talk about the grand old game.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:41 pm 

armchair pundit wrote:

I thought Daly had a chance, but didn't think Watson was in the best of test form towards the end of the 6N (hopeless v Ireland in particular). Watson has had a great tour though.

In terms of England, it's a chance for EJ to see George start a test, and to see how the Farrell-Te'o combination fares at test level (as well as Te'o start a test at 12).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:25 pm 

Watson was poor in Dublin but to be fair to him he was fresh back from injury, same as the situation with Billy V

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:45 pm 

polyallstar wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
le chat wrote:
armchair pundit wrote:

Is Hartley off form?

Agreed, think Eddie likes his finishers too so until another hooker proves they can offer impact off the bench he could leave George there...

Daly and Watson are probs our first choice wings, Teo starting is interesting but it's not like ford and Farrell aren't in good form either. All nice options for him to have really

Potentially. That's why it was such a shame both LCD and Taylor missed the Argentina tour. Hartley was crap in the loose (as usual) and even his lineouts weren't perfect.

I can think of at least two promising moves that died solely because Hartley's carrying was so bad.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:51 pm 

Quins have signed Francis Saili, which should hopefully see Hopper relegated to captaining the A team for the rest of his contract.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:57 pm 

The Man Without Fear wrote:
Quins have signed Francis Saili, which should hopefully see Hopper relegated to captaining the A team for the rest of his contract.

er, you may have missed this from April...

Quote:
Harlequins centre Matt Hopper will leave the Premiership club at the end of the season to join French second-tier side Oyonnax.

Hopper has made 112 appearances for Harlequins since joining the club from Championship side Cornish Pirates.

The 32-year-old has played in 12 games this season, scoring his only try in a win over Bristol Rugby in February.

"I leave with a heavy heart and a head full of great memories," he told the club website.

"The chance to continue my career and make a change was something I could not pass up at this stage and I look forward to what the future holds."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:48 am 

Very poor from Sale, completely unnecessary.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:09 am 

le chat wrote:
fatheralice wrote:

Quote:

very unclassy by Sale

So Sale paying £100k towards Castlefords legal fees and all of their own this has cost Sale well north of £400k yet they feel they are slagging off Castleford and claiming they were happy to take it to trial :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:06 pm 

Do you reckon Kruis can become our POC, or the next MJ, at all? He's already showing signs of it. Gatland named dropped him as a leader in the pack, he is imperious in the lineout, a brute in the physical stuff, carries well, is everywhere....Hope he stays injury free.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:09 pm 

Doesn't seem to have the same sort of leadership - Itoje and Launchbury are ahead of him there. Quality lieutenant though.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:10 pm 

I thought Maro is the next great white hope and lions captain in waiting for our 2nd row?

(not that Kruis isn't immense but Maro has the hype at the moment)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:12 pm 

JM2K6 wrote:
Doesn't seem to have the same sort of leadership - Itoje and Launchbury are ahead of him there. Quality lieutenant though.

Seems to be barking orders a fair bit. He's vocal.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:21 pm 

bacon2 wrote:
I thought Maro is the next great white hope and lions captain in waiting for our 2nd row?

(not that Kruis isn't immense but Maro has the hype at the moment)

do yous not think we're a little............white...for jazz ?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:29 pm 

Willie Falloon wrote:

Yep, just love Kruis. The English are bullshitting about Launchbury as the new Richard Hill, but this man is better. What a lock forward. Just a machine that keeps going.

He's been having similar praises from other non-English posters. Not that that's gospel, or anything, just shows how noticeable he is even to outsiders.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:51 pm 

Hawk97 wrote:
Do you reckon Kruis can become our POC, or the next MJ, at all? He's already showing signs of it. Gatland named dropped him as a leader in the pack, he is imperious in the lineout, a brute in the physical stuff, carries well, is everywhere....Hope he stays injury free.

Who was the last England player to captain the Lions? Did Vickery do a mid-week game?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:53 pm 

Hawk97 wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:

Not actually talking about that (most players now are vocal, it's a core part of the game). I just see Maro and Launch doing the "follow me" bit more often, where they take the game by the scruff of the neck even if the side is in trouble a bit.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:01 pm 

JM2K6 wrote:
Hawk97 wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:

Not actually talking about that (most players now are vocal, it's a core part of the game). I just see Maro and Launch doing the "follow me" bit more often, where they take the game by the scruff of the neck even if the side is in trouble a bit.

Launch, certainly. I'd put Kruis close, though, personally. Seems to carry a lot in traffic, and hit rucks like mad.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:04 pm 

Hawk97 wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
Hawk97 wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:

Launch, certainly. I'd put Kruis close, though, personally. Seems to carry a lot in traffic, and hit rucks like mad.

Maro has captained at every level but England no? Led Saracens a few times in the Anglo-Welsh? Won a JRWC.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:38 pm 

Tim. wrote:
Hawk97 wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
Hawk97 wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:

Maro has captained at every level but England no? Led Saracens a few times in the Anglo-Welsh? Won a JRWC.

Yeah. OK, Maro is made of the stuff as well. But back to Kruis: Not feeling it? I think he's our best lock, for a start, and is your quintessential big, nasty lock that POC and MJ were.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:44 pm 

Not really doubting him as a player, just don't think he'll be as totemic as MJ was.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:46 pm 

OK. Is he showing any signs of it, at all, to you?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:48 pm 

Needs a season as undisputed first choice for England I think. We're in a position where all 4 of our main locks can be talked up :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57362 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1427, 1428, 1429, 1430, 1431, 1432, 1433 ... 1435  Next