Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:42 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70386 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1429, 1430, 1431, 1432, 1433, 1434, 1435 ... 1760  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:30 pm 

Wendigo7 wrote:
englishchief wrote:
On the positive side, did that NZ performance really really scare you? It didn't exactly make quiver in my boots at the thought of having to play them.

Eddie will see that the Lions' main pitfalls were discipline errors or just being sloppy, both of which you can work on. Up to 50 minutes the Lions were right in the game (incidentally around the time they took Mako off), and then they just made a catalogue of errors which meant they could never leave their own half.

Supposedly only England and NZ currently play at 100 metres per minute (was stated in a Canada game a couple of months back)

I still think we need to work the fringe defence much harder than the lions did to get any change. Keeping up the pace is one thing. Tieing in enough defenders to make the all blacks tire is a completely different issue.

The All blacks scramble defence and want to defend is tremendous.

Am I being thick...?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:31 pm 

Hawk97 wrote:
Wendigo7 wrote:
englishchief wrote:
On the positive side, did that NZ performance really really scare you? It didn't exactly make quiver in my boots at the thought of having to play them.

Eddie will see that the Lions' main pitfalls were discipline errors or just being sloppy, both of which you can work on. Up to 50 minutes the Lions were right in the game (incidentally around the time they took Mako off), and then they just made a catalogue of errors which meant they could never leave their own half.

Supposedly only England and NZ currently play at 100 metres per minute (was stated in a Canada game a couple of months back)

I still think we need to work the fringe defence much harder than the lions did to get any change. Keeping up the pace is one thing. Tieing in enough defenders to make the all blacks tire is a completely different issue.

Am I being thick...?

In the same boat here

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:32 pm 

Hawk97 wrote:
Wendigo7 wrote:
englishchief wrote:

Am I being thick...?

English and NZ players cover and work an average of just over 100metres per minute.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:39 pm 

Hawk97 wrote:
DD - harsh on George. You don't make 17 tackles (second most) if you're not fit.

Yeah it is harsh- hard to be objective sometimes but maybe easier watching the lions that england?

He tackled well- but is that enough? When you're using the kiwis as a benchmark would they allow a player to look like that? Or would they be saying that a change in body shape would improve aspects of your game?

If Best could throw/if my aunty had balls she'd be my uncle.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:40 pm 

George revised up to 20 tackles. Pretty decent for 65 minutes, but tells the story of the game unfortunately. If you are having to make that many, you probably aren't winning.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:40 pm 

Wendigo7 wrote:
Hawk97 wrote:
Wendigo7 wrote:
englishchief wrote:

Am I being thick...?

English and NZ players cover and work an average of just over 100metres per minute.

So, taking a forward for example, they're individually tracked running from ruck to ruck, in metres per min? I reckon that could say more about how effective a strategy is, or something...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:43 pm 

I'm not entirely sure on how it's applied Hawk. Only that's the stat.

Think internationally Ireland were next at 70, Wales, SA and Australia about 65-68 ish.

Super Rugby was around 70-75 ish per minute.

Edit: Comparatively Canada had a high of 54 and a low of 32 :uhoh:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:45 pm 

Margin_Walker wrote:
George revised up to 20 tackles. Pretty decent for 65 minutes, but tells the story of the game unfortunately. If you are having to make that many, you probably aren't winning.

NZ smashed the gainline and made a million carries- 20 tackles at post is good but achievable. Lions gave up decent yards at most, not many dominant sit downs.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:49 pm 

Another narrative that has been given rise; we overrate Farrell. I'm not sure about that. I used to be his biggest detractor, but he's won me over over the last year and a half. He's genuinely creative, no?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:49 pm 

Wendigo7 wrote:

Think internationally Ireland were next at 70, Wales, SA and Australia about 65-68 ish.

Seems like a decent barometer of success/results, to me.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:54 pm 

Hawk97 wrote:
Wendigo7 wrote:

Yep. I think we should probably assume with the workrate per minute stat on Super rugby sides, the Nz sides are nearer 85-90 ish and are brought down by the other nations sides. :nod:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:54 pm 

Wendigo7 wrote:
Hawk97 wrote:
Wendigo7 wrote:

Yep. I think we should probably assume with the workrate per minute stat on Super rugby sides, the Nz sides are nearer 85-90 ish and are brought down by the other nations sides. :nod:

You're on to something here.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:55 pm 

Hawk97 wrote:
Another narrative that has been given rise; we overrate Farrell. I'm not sure about that. I used to be his biggest detractor, but he's won me over over the last year and a half. He's genuinely creative, no?

The non-english overrate farrell, it's only a minority of english that think he's a 10. He's not creative.

Hawk97 wrote:

Didn't look completely in control today. Nothing wrong with Ford being at 10. I find the 'he's too small' line quite tiresome, Farrell is hardly an excellent defender.

DragsterDriver wrote:
Hawk97 wrote:

The non-english overrate farrell, it's only a minority of english that think he's a 10. He's not creative.

Do you not think? I reckon he is. His passes are flat, and puts players into holes. Throws a lovely pass behind dummy runners (screen).

Edit: I'm talking about him over the past 2 years.

Last edited by Hawk97 on Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DragsterDriver wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:

NZ smashed the gainline and made a million carries- 20 tackles at post is good but achievable. Lions gave up decent yards at most, not many dominant sit downs.

Exactly, no one looks good going backwards.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:57 pm 

Malins is a much more natural fly half than Farrell.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:58 pm 

Faz is the best 10 we have and Teo the best 12.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:15 pm 

Faz was putting people into holes even late into the game. It's fine.

We also stood up to wave after wave of incredibly accurate, inventive, and intense kiwi attacking in the first half. Most sides would've been beaten out of sight by half time. We'll lose all three tests and this will be the high point, so no-one should lose their shit just yet.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:30 pm 

JM2K6 wrote:

We also stood up to wave after wave of incredibly accurate, inventive, and intense kiwi attacking in the first half. Most sides would've been beaten out of sight by half time. We'll lose all three tests and this will be the high point, so no-one should lose their shit just yet.

We were receiving wave after wave simply because we did nothing to look after the ball and there was seemingly no one in the side who could win the gain-line. The idea of giving the All Blacks all the ball and told to have another go wasn't the most inspired bit of planning I've ever seen.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:48 pm 

JM2K6 wrote:

I agree with your analysis (and am trying my best to disagree with your conclusions).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:12 pm 

Gospel wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:

We were receiving wave after wave simply because we did nothing to look after the ball and there was seemingly no one in the side who could win the gain-line. The idea of giving the All Blacks all the ball and told to have another go wasn't the most inspired bit of planning I've ever seen.

Don't entirely disagree and we put them under some pressure with the kicking game early on but it eventually came to nothing. We looked our best after the try, the intensity went up and we caused their defence problems and several people made half breaks and looked for offload but the support wasnt there.

We're not suddenly going to fix that in a week but it showed our most likely path for success beyond awesome counter attacks from the back and putting pressure on their lineout.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:16 pm 

They're beatable and we have the squad now to do it. I think we have the right coach too.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:38 pm 

DragsterDriver wrote:
Hawk97 wrote:
DD - harsh on George. You don't make 17 tackles (second most) if you're not fit.

Yeah it is harsh- hard to be objective sometimes but maybe easier watching the lions that england?

He tackled well- but is that enough? When you're using the kiwis as a benchmark would they allow a player to look like that? Or would they be saying that a change in body shape would improve aspects of your game?

I think you've got it the wrong way around - the kiwis look at the contributions players make on the pitch rather than their appearance. George worked hard and did well at his assigned role. I see no reason whatsoever beyond blind panic to think the problems of today where attributable to him in general or his body shape in particular

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:43 pm 

Alright, given that we should be relatively safe from the Swarm on here, can we talk about Tadhg Furlong? He was absolutely awful today, did nothing of meaning. We don't rave over Mako purely because he can crop up in the backline with a sexy pass every once in a while, the prop's job first and foremost is scrummaging, tackling and a bit of carrying, and from what I could see Furlong did almost none of those to any great impact

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:49 pm 

Chuckles1188 wrote:
Alright, given that we should be relatively safe from the Swarm on here, can we talk about Tadhg Furlong? He was absolutely awful today, did nothing of meaning. We don't rave over Mako purely because he can crop up in the backline with a sexy pass every once in a while, the prop's job first and foremost is scrummaging, tackling and a bit of carrying, and from what I could see Furlong did almost none of those to any great impact

Forwards got shut down - simple as. Very few of them played badly but they were not given the opportunity to impose themselves. He was clearly beaten in the scrum and that always takes a lot out of a front rowers game anyway

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:10 pm 

Chuckles1188 wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:
Hawk97 wrote:

I think you've got it the wrong way around - the kiwis look at the contributions players make on the pitch rather than their appearance. George worked hard and did well at his assigned role. I see no reason whatsoever beyond blind panic to think the problems of today where attributable to him in general or his body shape in particular

They're certainly not gym obsessed- but not gut buckets either.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:46 am 

DragsterDriver wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:
Hawk97 wrote:

They're certainly not gym obsessed- but not gut buckets either.
I think you're right, they would whip him into better shape, they're a much fitter side than us

They also don't mess about, look at Savea being dropped, as soon as your game slips or someone plays better than you then you're out. They never pick on rep. That would mean for us at least Hartley out and Brown would've been in and out of the team.

Nowell picked at fullback for the Lions-Hope he plays well.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:36 am 

They're ruthless at making decisions like that. How many world class wingers over the past 10 years have been jettisoned for younger, newer, faster models?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:46 am 

Hawk97 wrote:
They're ruthless at making decisions like that. How many world class wingers over the past 10 years have been jettisoned for younger, newer, faster models?

Particularly when the player dropped is 26 years old with 46 test tries from 53 appearances ...

Although in truth, Savea has had a poor season and I'm not sure he works hard enough on improving the weaker aspects of his game to be a default pick.

Imagine if we had the luxury of not picking someone with an incredible re odd like that though?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:46 am 

Hawk97 wrote:

It helps that they have a production line of fast, highly skilled wingers. How many English frontrowers have been jettisoned over the past 10 years for newer, tougher, stronger models?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:47 am 

le chat wrote:
They also don't mess about, look at Savea being dropped, as soon as your game slips or someone plays better than you then you're out. They never pick on rep.

That's not really true. Savea's been given a fair few chances to prove himself over the last few years, having had multiple average displays, weight problems, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:53 am 

Chuckles1188 wrote:
Hawk97 wrote:

It helps that they have a production line of fast, highly skilled wingers. How many English frontrowers have been jettisoned over the past 10 years for newer, tougher, stronger models?

First bit; of course. Goes without saying.

Re our props; I'm not sure. I don't think the turnover is anything near AB winger production. Cole has been Tight-heading consistently for 7 years now. Looks like we've found a younger, FASTER, newer model now though.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:59 am 

Kieran Read wasn't dropped after having multiple poor matches in a row. Kaino wasn't dropped after a poor season. Nonu never surrendered his place to SBW despite relative form at one point all suggesting SBW start. Going back further, Nick Evans never got ahead of Dan Carter despite Carter having the only poor run of form in his life.

And they basically ignore Super Rugby form entirely for established players. Or in some cases, don't even give a shit if they've played many matches.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:59 am 

Chuckles1188 wrote:
Hawk97 wrote:

Yes, but I think the expectation of what the modern prop is there to deliver has changed drastically in the last 10 years. Some of that is down to changes in the laws, but actually I'd say the bigger part is the overall change in the game becoming a faster, 15 man game with much more of a requirement for props to contribute in the loose. A prop is now expected to be able to tackle, carry, pass and be effective at the breakdown. The days of Adam Jones style props that don't do much more than scrummage are basically over.

I wouldn't say that difference is anywhere near as stark with wingers. It's definitely fair to say that wingers are expected to do a lot more than just finish in the modern game, but the demands on their skill set aren't as much of a sea change than they have been for props.

It was interesting to see how often our props stood at first receiver for the U20s - I mean to pass and not to truck it up. More often than not, it looked like a structured play to free up the playmakers behind them.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:01 am 

JM2K6 wrote:
Kieran Read wasn't dropped after having multiple poor matches in a row. Kaino wasn't dropped after a poor season. Nonu never surrendered his place to SBW despite relative form at one point all suggesting SBW start. Going back further, Nick Evans never got ahead of Dan Carter despite Carter having the only poor run of form in his life.

And they basically ignore Super Rugby form entirely for established players. Or in some cases, don't even give a shit if they've played many matches.

Was Kaino at all dropped for Messam, at any point? Might have been when he was in Japan.

SBW started plenty of games for the ABs, was this at Nonu's expense?

I don't know the answer, so I'm just asking.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:02 am 

Hawk97 wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Hawk97 wrote:

First bit; of course. Goes without saying.

Re our props; I'm not sure. I don't think the turnover is anything near AB winger production. Cole has been Tight-heading consistently for 7 years now. Looks like we've found a younger, FASTER, newer model now though.

The difference is that NZ don't mind dropping first-choice players, with us we cycle through the backups like there's no tomorrow. Just in the last three years we've called up and then moved on from Wilson, Thomas, Webber, LCD, Youngs (fits both categories tbf), Hill, Brookes, and that's just who comes to mind without thinking really hard

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:03 am 

Hawk97 wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:

Was Kaino at all dropped for Messam, at any point? Might have been when he was in Japan.

SBW started plenty of games for the ABs, was this at Nonu's expense?

I don't know the answer, so I'm just asking.

SBW got starts but it was (from memory) almost always a "here, have a chance" game against weaker sides or in an experimental lineup or an end of year tour where they're giving someone a rest.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:41 pm 

Nowell at fullback for the Lions vs Hurricanes, interesting...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:21 pm 

England for next 6Ns

Nowell
Daly
Joseph
Teo
Watson
Farrell
Youngs

Billy
Underhill
Itoje
Launchbury
Kruis
Sinckler
George
Mako

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70386 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1429, 1430, 1431, 1432, 1433, 1434, 1435 ... 1760  Next