Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:26 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1629, 1630, 1631, 1632, 1633, 1634, 1635 ... 1981  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:50 pm 

Chips wrote:
Jones's has confirmed Hartley is starting as captain already. Given the huge packs that Brunel likes to pick and the wet weather forecast, I can see another 3-lock pack starting again as well. :uhoh:

Borthwick saying Hartley is a doubt due to leg muscle problem.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:51 pm 

He's just teasing us

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:54 pm 

ovalball wrote:
Chips wrote:
Jones's has confirmed Hartley is starting as captain already. Given the huge packs that Brunel likes to pick and the wet weather forecast, I can see another 3-lock pack starting again as well. :uhoh:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:00 pm 

On the Beeb now

Wing Nowell, 24, will play no further part in the tournament after suffering an ankle injury in training.

Forward Underhill has been forced out by a toe injury, but could return for England's final game against Ireland.

Hartley has muscle tightness in his leg and will be monitored ahead of Thursday's team announcement.

Quick call to LCD?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:01 pm 

Chips wrote:
ovalball wrote:
Chips wrote:

Are you a French doctor???

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:14 pm 

Keith wrote:
RodneyRegis wrote:
Jesus wept. Chuckles is gonna have a coronary.

I've not seen him post for a day or two. He must have started an argument with the bathroom mirror or something.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:26 pm 

Shame about Nowell, he'd been having a good impact. He's the type of player who might grab or create a couple of late tries if England were a fortunate enough position to chase the bonus point.

Underhill being out shows the folly of keeping Haskell short of rugby.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:28 pm 

Yep, can see another 3-lock pack this weekend. I usually hate it but can see the logic in it for France. Haskell could be useful in a dogfight though, wouldn't be averse to having him charging around like a pyscho for 50 mins then bringing on Simmonds.
As for Nowell's injury, Solomona's return to form seems very well-timed but I think Daly's return to fitness will see him take the bench spot instead.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:32 pm 

45jumper wrote:
Thought Sale were going to throw it away in the second half but thankfully we held on. :o
Some brilliant scores in the first half, the counterattack started by Yarde was especially good. Excellent to see Solomona back scoring tries, just a shame we couldn't have held on against Bath or we'd be in a really strong position coming into the home stretch. Unfortunately I think our remaining fixtures are a bit tricky to make it into the top six, which is really disappointing. :frown:

I saw the highlights of this last night - how the fudge did Sale manage to win with 30% possession and even less territory (according to Channel 5's stats)? I know you've got to be able to aggressively defend but those sort of numbers suggests they were deliberately playing without the ball, which against a decent team (I know it was only Tampon, but still) is suicide.

I was saying to Brazil that I think it's Diamond's time to move on. He's built a great side, but has taken it as far as he can. Now we need someone getting them playing to their potential and they'll be genuine top 4 contenders, where right now they're less than the sum of their parts.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:51 pm 

Diamond should get another season or two, now he has money, to see if he can make it work.

I get the feeling his specialty is getting the best out of youngsters for a few seasons, and then moving on to the next one, whilst rarely getting them to the absolute top level. However, he's not had the luxury of having those players surrounded by talent to drive them further, now he has that, and that may well be the difference. If those young players have serious talent to learn off of, they may be able to totake it to the next level.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:11 pm 

Some posters dreams come true. Hartley is a doubt for the France game.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:20 pm 

I wonder if we’ll ever get to see.

1. Genge
2. LCD
3. Sinkler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:22 pm 

mr flaps wrote:

1. Genge
2. LCD
3. Sinkler

I was asking elsewhere who would be the least inspiring capped hooker that Eddie could choose (like Wiggles). Someone suggested Webber, but I'd much rather Webber than my suggestion of David Paice.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:25 pm 

mr flaps wrote:

1. Genge
2. LCD
3. Sinkler

A wobbly scrum and lineout :uhoh:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:26 pm 

Raggs wrote:
I was asking elsewhere who would be the least inspiring capped hooker that Eddie could choose (like Wiggles). Someone suggested Webber, but I'd much rather Webber than my suggestion of David Paice.

Paice beat New Zealand dontchaknow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:27 pm 

Keith wrote:
mr flaps wrote:

1. Genge
2. LCD
3. Sinkler

No worse than George at lineout, our scrum is nothing special at the moment.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:29 pm 

Kitson in Guardian yesterday suggesting England might go Wigglesworth-Farrell-Te'o.

DragsterDriver wrote:
Keith wrote:
mr flaps wrote:

1. Genge
2. LCD
3. Sinkler

No worse than George at lineout, our scrum is nothing special at the moment.

wobblier then :smug:

Rugby2023 wrote:
Kitson in Guardian yesterday suggesting England might go Wigglesworth-Farrell-Te'o.

I miss Jamie Noon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:32 pm 

Genge/LCD/Sinkler coming off the bench would be fearsome, and not so wobbly as to worry about, in the final 25m. Start operating an Exeter chiefs method of swapping the whole front row.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:38 pm 

I've just seen the clip of mercer chasing down Marcus Smith. Jesus the lad has wheels and some engine

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:41 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
I've just seen the clip of mercer chasing down Marcus Smith. Jesus the lad has wheels and some engine

It looked like half of Bath were chasing Smith down, I suspect Smith just isn't that fast, he still looks very physically young, and probably hasn't had much sustained sprint training. Faletau arguably covers a greater distance than Mercer. As someone more cynical than myself pointed out, Bath coaches may be a bit more annoyed that two key players still had enough energy to do that, and perhaps should have been putting more into the previous 78 minutes. I think that's a bit harsh myself though! Haven't seen the game however.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:51 pm 

Raggs wrote:
mr flaps wrote:

1. Genge
2. LCD
3. Sinkler

Had to laugh at Paice's yellow at the weekend to disappear further into the sunset in the disciplinary hall of fame.

Was pretty soft and the resigned 'oh FFS...' face he pulled when he copped the card, was fairly amusing. Bet he's looking forward to retirement.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:54 pm 

Margin_Walker wrote:
Raggs wrote:
mr flaps wrote:

1. Genge
2. LCD
3. Sinkler

Had to laugh at Paice's yellow at the weekend to disappear further into the sunset in the disciplinary hall of fame.

Was pretty soft and the resigned 'oh FFS...' face he pulled when he copped the card, was fairly amusing. Bet he's looking forward to retirement.

Very soft, I rather suspect that Foley saw the challenge on WLR in the air on the screen after calling it just a penalty, and decided it was rather borderline to a yellow, and basically gave a yellow for the next semi serious offence.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:00 pm 

Sorry if RR

Quote:
Hooker Hartley, 31, has tightness in his calf and will be monitored before Thursday's team announcement.

Exeter's Nowell rolled an ankle injury in training and will play no further part in the tournament.

Bath flanker Sam Underhill has also been ruled out of the France game

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:05 pm 

LCD was training with England today :o

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:37 pm 

happyhooker wrote:

Smith has terrible sprinting technique though. Plenty for him to work on.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:00 pm 

Raggs wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

It looked like half of Bath were chasing Smith down, I suspect Smith just isn't that fast, he still looks very physically young, and probably hasn't had much sustained sprint training. Faletau arguably covers a greater distance than Mercer. As someone more cynical than myself pointed out, Bath coaches may be a bit more annoyed that two key players still had enough energy to do that, and perhaps should have been putting more into the previous 78 minutes. I think that's a bit harsh myself though! Haven't seen the game however.

I’m still scratching my head as to how Bath managed to lose that game, and by such a comprehensive score; completely dominated territory and possession for all but a brief period of the match and got turned over on the Quins line or held up over the line several times.

On a par with watching the Scotland match in terms of frustration (albeit without the dodgy refereeing calls).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:10 pm 

Joost wrote:
Raggs wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

I’m still scratching my head as to how Bath managed to lose that game, and by such a comprehensive score; completely dominated territory and possession for all but a brief period of the match and got turned over on the Quins line or held up over the line several times.

On a par with watching the Scotland match in terms of frustration (albeit without the dodgy refereeing calls).

15 penalties, many of which were consecutive, no setpiece and a determination to cough the ball up every five seconds probably. Bath seem to only be able to go through phases and put teams under pressure when they're chasing a game, which is often.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:31 pm 

Speaking of Quins and Bath; just confirmed that Ben Tapuai is on his way to Quins at the end of the year

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:44 pm 

Joost wrote:
Speaking of Quins and Bath; just confirmed that Ben Tapuai is on his way to Quins at the end of the year

I must have lost my post in a whiteout- good business for quins? He always looks decent on tv.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:52 pm 

If he's replacing Roberts, he could be the aforementioned Legohead and still be an upgrade.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:02 pm 

DragsterDriver wrote:
Joost wrote:

I must have lost my post in a whiteout- good business for quins? He always looks decent on tv.

Last season, I’d have said so; looked to have the full range of skills and was surprisingly powerful in traffic for a relatively small guy. This season he’s played as a basher and his distribution and kicking game haven’t looked half as good. He’ll be a good signing if he can get back to his previous form.

Wonder who Bath are planning to pick up, should be plenty of space in the cap with BT and Banahan gone.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:33 pm 

Reasonable article - pretty much what many of us have been saying on here.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/breaking-english-rugby-contact-area

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:37 pm 

ovalball wrote:

beat me to it

long read but hits the nail on the head, every major England defeat of the past 15 years has been because of us getting murdered at the breakdown

and it's usually followed by moronic comments like "England don't need an openside flanker, everyone should be doing that role" x(

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:52 pm 

ovalball wrote:

No mention of Willis in an article where he name checks lots of players. I think Willis is so good at the breakdown for precisely the reason he says many of the other contenders aren't... he's still young and hasn't been over-coached. Yet.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:57 pm 

I think it's time for the dream back line to be unleashed.

Wiggy
Ford

May
Te'o
JJ
Solomona
Watson

Change is as good as a feast.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:05 pm 

Chips wrote:
ovalball wrote:

No mention of Willis in an article where he name checks lots of players. I think Willis is so good at the breakdown for precisely the reason he says many of the other contenders aren't... he's still young and hasn't been over-coached. Yet.

Yep, I also thought it was a very strange omission.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:08 pm 

openclashXX wrote:
ovalball wrote:

beat me to it

long read but hits the nail on the head, every major England defeat of the past 15 years has been because of us getting murdered at the breakdown

and it's usually followed by moronic comments like "England don't need an openside flanker, everyone should be doing that role" x(

And changes to other personnel who weren't, primarily, responsible for the loss :(

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:11 pm 

ovalball wrote:
openclashXX wrote:
ovalball wrote:

beat me to it

And changes to other personnel who weren't, primarily, responsible for the loss :(

The observation about the refs is the main reason in there. AP needs refs from SR, P14 and T14 to manage games.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1629, 1630, 1631, 1632, 1633, 1634, 1635 ... 1981  Next