Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73931 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1635, 1636, 1637, 1638, 1639, 1640, 1641 ... 1849  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:15 am 

RodneyRegis wrote:

Must be some mistake, I've been told repeatedly that he's our only world class player.

By Toga of course. the poster with one of the worst histories of evaluating player son this forum.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:18 am 

eldanielfire wrote:
RodneyRegis wrote:

Must be some mistake, I've been told repeatedly that he's our only world class player.

By Toga of course. the poster with one of the worst histories of evaluating player son this forum.

Nah, plenty say it. I think it's like an attempt to appear to have a higher understanding of rugby, to pompously tell everyone that a centre who can't pass both ways and rarely makes a break is world class. Posters and pundits alike are guilty of this.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:21 am 

Some interesting points re Healey in the Telegraph, especially re making sense of Watson over Brown: saying Brown’s two points of difference are his last ditch defending and high ball work, but that France tend to kick long for territory (which would suit Watson running it back) rather than contested garyowens and France score most of their tries from short range rather than long breakaways, especially now Teddy Thomas is out of the team.

Also finding it laughable that anyone is going for the ‘Eddie Out’ calls at this stage - what on earth would it take for a coach to please some people?! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:29 am 

Joost wrote:
Some interesting points re Healey in the Telegraph, especially re making sense of Watson over Brown: saying Brown’s two points of difference are his last ditch defending and high ball work, but that France tend to kick long for territory (which would suit Watson running it back) rather than contested garyowens and France score most of their tries from short range rather than long breakaways, especially now Teddy Thomas is out of the team.

Also finding it laughable that anyone is going for the ‘Eddie Out’ calls at this stage - what on earth would it take for a coach to please some people?! :lol:

I think there is a lot of pent-up worry that despite the results the performances have been very hit and miss and some of the batting collapse frailties seem to be returning.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:29 am 

RodneyRegis wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
RodneyRegis wrote:

Nah, plenty say it. I think it's like an attempt to appear to have a higher understanding of rugby, to pompously tell everyone that a centre who can't pass both ways and rarely makes a break is world class. Posters and pundits alike are guilty of this.

True. As i pointed out earlier( and on many occasions), Farrell is a classic case where he was hyped as the 2nd coming and because he kicks well is install confidence in English supporters who will believe everything said about him, despite the fact his game shows very few world class attrubutes and skills.

I recall the YouTube highlights of Wales-England last year, Farrell fans raved in the comments about his pass to Daly. It was a fine pass, but it was a slow, easy to make pass when he had acres of time and space and due to the speed Daly had to thank Cuttbert's poor defending for the try. Imagine an Aussie or kiwi raving about that? That's a fairly standard pass to them. Compare that to Finn Russell's long bullet pass to Jones to tear open England while being rushed by the defense for Scotland? That's vision and great passing. Farrell can only dream of a pass like that. But instead we have Farrell fan boys and press raving about his two line breaks in 3 games (both against Italy) and the once a month long pass when he has lots of space.

Don't get me wrong, Farrell's done great to improve himself and his attitude is to be praised. But the lack of some basic attrtibutes like passing both ways, opening up space with his running, making line breaks which are rare to non-existent would make aussies and kiwis who even average centres this is bread and butter stuff would laugh..

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:32 am 

I thought the pass was fantastic, but probably mostly because it was so unexpected.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:36 am 

blindcider wrote:
Joost wrote:

I think there is a lot of pent-up worry that despite the results the performances have been very hit and miss and some of the batting collapse frailties seem to be returning.

Agreed. One of the worries with me most of all is the pack. Under Lancaster, until the RWC, they would be described as a monster pack despite their flaws, able to bully most other packs. They lost that at the RWC, regained it a bit with Itoje's addition with world class performances under Jones. But now they are regressing and Jones is drifting into Lancaster's area's with added gimmics which appear to be having no effect.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:38 am 

DragsterDriver wrote:
I’ve not seen the French back row- hopefully not a mobile selection.

France: Bonneval; Fall, Bastareaud, Doumayrou, Grosso; Trinh-Duc, Machenaud; Poirot, Guirado (capt), Slimani, Gabrillagues, Vahaamahina, Lauret, Camara, Tauleigne.

Replacements: Pelissie, Priso, Gomes Sa, Taofifenua, Galletier, Couilloud, Beauxis, Fickou.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/43309179

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:38 am 

blindcider wrote:
Joost wrote:

We’ve looked more convincing against the SH teams for me - not unlike the SCW era.

The Jock game was very frustrating, obviously, especially the breakdown but I’m convinced we’d have won it if either Care or Farrell hadn’t been called back - both massive calls which killed our momentum and galvanised the Scots. However, it’s got to a stage where I’m genuinely surprised when this team is unable to find a way to win (the complete opposite to previous eras).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:45 am 

geordie_6 wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:
I’ve not seen the French back row- hopefully not a mobile selection.

France: Bonneval; Fall, Bastareaud, Doumayrou, Grosso; Trinh-Duc, Machenaud; Poirot, Guirado (capt), Slimani, Gabrillagues, Vahaamahina, Lauret, Camara, Tauleigne.

Replacements: Pelissie, Priso, Gomes Sa, Taofifenua, Galletier, Couilloud, Beauxis, Fickou.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/43309179

Not the stodgiest trio.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:46 am 

Joost wrote:

People dislike Healy but he’s a really clever rugby brain.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:50 am 

Farrell can't pass right, Farrell can't tackle, Farrell can't run. We're all blind. We're all seeing him pass right, tackling and running. What fools we are. My

Jesus wept :uhoh:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:52 am 

Chips wrote:
Farrell can't pass right, Farrell can't tackle, Farrell can't run. We're all blind. We're all seeing him pass right, tackling and running. What fools we are. My

Wibbs.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:53 am 

blindcider wrote:
Joost wrote:

The problem is, fans always focus on selection. What more can we focus on as we don't have access to tactics talk etc.

We have tired and overplayed Lions that could have been our point of difference in recent seasons. Our best players haven't played as well, even if less popular guys like Cole or Hartley haven't really delighted us.

The standard is also higher - Ireland and Scotland are better.

So if the standard is higher and we're not at our best then - hopefully - it isn't a major systemic problem.

I'm as big a fan of Dan Robson or whoever as anyone else, but every coach (when we're pissed off) gets called out on selection including Schmidt every time Ireland lose and whoever else.

I share the worry though - a loss tomorrow is tournament over and the prospect of maybe even a really shite tournament if we lose to Ireland.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:59 am 

It's the constant obsession with winning every game and working to a ridiculous 4 year schedule. Oh, you can't drop so and so because he has loads of caps and the world cup is only 2 years away, even though hie is not up to it. Oh, it's a 6 nations game, you don't throw in new players. It's the AIs, we need to get our WC players used to playing SH sides. It's all bullshit, pick the best players.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:59 am 

Chips wrote:

Versus Scotland http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/playerstats?gameId=291697&league=180659

Tackles made 5, Tackles missed 4

Versus Wales http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/playerstats?gameId=291693&league=180659

Tackles made 13, Tackles Missed 7

Versus Italy http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/playerstats?gameId=291691&league=180659

Tackles Made 9, Tackles missed 2

He's missing 1/3 of his tackle attempts, as a centre that isn't good enough at Test level

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:02 pm 

RodneyRegis wrote:
It's the constant obsession with winning every game and working to a ridiculous 4 year schedule. Oh, you can't drop so and so because he has loads of caps and the world cup is only 2 years away, even though hie is not up to it. Oh, it's a 6 nations game, you don't throw in new players. It's the AIs, we need to get our WC players used to playing SH sides. It's all bullshit, pick the best players.

Everyone gets very upset when we lose though.

You'd have do do some major "narrative" pre-tournament work and say we're treating it as a development tournament.

I was very pleasantly surprised when we won in Argentina last year as that was very obviously a development side.

That's very different from just dropping an older player for the odd game.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:06 pm 

SamShark wrote:
RodneyRegis wrote:

You'd have do do some major "narrative" pre-tournament work and say we're treating it as a development tournament.

I was very pleasantly surprised when we won in Argentina last year as that was very obviously a development side.

Sure, but 2 years out from the RWC we can't move on from the old guard, so there's no evolution.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:07 pm 

blindcider wrote:
Chips wrote:

Versus Scotland http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/playerstats?gameId=291697&league=180659

Tackles made 5, Tackles missed 4

Versus Wales http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/playerstats?gameId=291693&league=180659

Tackles made 13, Tackles Missed 7

Versus Italy http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/playerstats?gameId=291691&league=180659

Tackles Made 9, Tackles missed 2

He's missing 1/3 of his tackle attempts, as a centre that isn't good enough at Test level

But SARACENS! SUPER RUSH!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:32 pm 

RodneyRegis wrote:
SamShark wrote:
RodneyRegis wrote:

Sure, but 2 years out from the RWC we can't move on from the old guard, so there's no evolution.

It's a tough one. The one thing that we love about rugby is that (aside from the odd Baa Baas game) there are no friendlies. Every game in the 6N, summer and Autumn really means something.

Not like football where friendlies are just going through the motions and even many qualifiers are tedious affairs.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:47 pm 

RodneyRegis wrote:

Ok agree with every word of that

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:00 pm 

RodneyRegis wrote:

I agree with that to some degree. But playing your best players every time does not make a rugby team. Stuff like understanding, executing a style of play, knowing where teams mates will be and them knowing what move you are going to do requires time together. Constant chopping and changing due to form will ensure the team is taken apart by sides with continuity of play.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:03 pm 

I don’t mind us getting beaten in a competetive game with Ireland or nz, I do object to picking a back row of oil tankers and getting what you deserve. There’s no harm in having a moan about that.

B

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:03 pm 

RodneyRegis wrote:

Send a message to more of the passengers. Step it up, or be dropped because there are those other guys ready to take your spot.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:16 pm 

Nieghorn wrote:
RodneyRegis wrote:

Send a message to more of the passengers. Step it up, or be dropped because there are those other guys ready to take your spot.

Two areas where I would have expected to see Jones send a warning shot to his player by now, one on the grounds of bringing energy, though here we go back to are the players being over trained with a view to the WC, in which case there's little to be done, and also around discipline, nobody minds sealing off 2m from the try line wide out with a 4 on 1 overlap, it's all the essentially pointless pens we give away. In neither area though does Jones seem to have made selection changes to send out a warning.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:18 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
RodneyRegis wrote:

I agree with that to some degree. But playing your best players every time does not make a rugby team. Stuff like understanding, executing a style of play, knowing where teams mates will be and them knowing what move you are going to do requires time together. Constant chopping and changing due to form will ensure the team is taken apart by sides with continuity of play.

Absolutely, but surely it's possible to have new guys coming in who slot into the structures? Why do we even pick an EPS whne half of them never get in the 23, why not just bring a few guys in to be tackle bags at training? It's not like we're running anything super advanced.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:21 pm 

RodneyRegis wrote:

Absolutely, but surely it's possible to have new guys coming in who slot into the structures? Why do we even pick an EPS whne half of them never get in the 23, why not just bring a few guys in to be tackle bags at training? It's not like we're running anything super advanced.

I think our attack system is very complex, arguably too much so. Lots of work off the ball, lots of decision making.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:24 pm 

RodneyRegis wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
RodneyRegis wrote:

I agree. I've said before, evolution over revolution. However I do understand that getting closer to an RWC you stop bringing in players as given the limited time to gel or not disrupt the teams dynamics.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:32 pm 

DragsterDriver wrote:
Please- can somebody find the goal kicking stats?

I think Faz is 9 from 12.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:36 pm 

I realise I'm slow here, but it's only just dawned on me that Farrell's captain.

I really dislike how he interacts with referees.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:41 pm 

Nieghorn wrote:
RodneyRegis wrote:

This. Can you imagine how George and LCD must feel watching Hartley get picked for 2 years picking up cap after cap? He's not even the best hooker in Northampton ffs. Players know the order of things, you can't hide it if you're not putting it in.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:50 pm 

fatcat wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:
Please- can somebody find the goal kicking stats?

I think Faz is 9 from 12.

Not the steely eyed percentage we’d expect? Ford would be under the bus for that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:51 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
I realise I'm slow here, but it's only just dawned on me that Farrell's captain.

I really dislike how he interacts with referees.

Once faz has shouted at him a couple of times the ref will get the message.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:42 pm 

I think the bench we have picked is a pretty good one compared to the previous 6N matches this season.

Cowan-Dickie - Taking him and George as a unit, better than Hartley and George.

Marler - Hepburn has looked OK but even though I would have stated Marler (although perhaps Jones went with Mako for the carries), Marler is a mean, sly old dog to come on.

Sinckler - Williams has looked useful but every team needs a massive, violent headcase. French front rowers of a certain vintage must get nostalgic when they see a genuine violent loony in the English ranks and recall punch ups of yore.

Haskell & Simmonds - I have to say Underhill is starting to underwhelm. I expect the presence of these two on the bench puts the back row on a proper warning as any of them can be hooked by a player capable of doing their job (as opposed to trying to get by with Robshaw at 8, for example).

Wigglesworth is Wigglesworth.

Joseph and Brown - I suspect that they are itching to get on to stick two fingers up at Jones. According to our sources, Brown might do that anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:47 pm 

tc27 wrote:
I honestly think the whole 'drop Ford and bugger up one of the working combinations to achieve it' is based largely on the impression that Ford is not manly enough and doesn't kick goals.

Its f**king bizarre.

I wouldn't be for moving Farrell to 10, he is a driving force at 12, but equally Ford isn't doing anything. The way people some people talk about him doesn't match up to his performances at all. I think some people like him just for not being Farrell.

He is little better than Ronan O'Gara in defence. He rarely makes breaks or even half-breaks. He appears to wilt entirely in the big test matches and is getting subbed recently. He can pass, well he's a flyhalf so...and he can put in the odd good tactical kick, not that often mind. As for a drop-goal forget it, you know it's missing as soon as he attempts. People talk about vision, what good is it if it's not significantly impacting the game and it isn't.

I wouldn't be dropping Ford either, but more because there's no one else rather than anything he's actually doing.

Last edited by Rugby2023 on Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:59 pm 

Rugby2023 wrote:
tc27 wrote:
I honestly think the whole 'drop Ford and bugger up one of the working combinations to achieve it' is based largely on the impression that Ford is not manly enough and doesn't kick goals.

Its f**king bizarre.

I wouldn't be for moving Farrell to 10, he is a driving force at 12, but equally Ford isn't doing anything. The way people some people talk about him doesn't match up to his performances at all. I think some people like him just for not being Farrell.

He is little better than Ronan O'Gara in defence. He rarely makes breaks or even half-breaks. He appears to wilt entirely in the big test matches and is getting subbed recently. He can pass, well he's a flyhalf so...and he can put in the odd good tactical kick, not that often mind. People talk about vision, what good is it if it's not significantly impacting the game and it isn't.

I wouldn't be dropping Ford either, but more because there's no one else rather than anything he's actually doing.

Well...

He passes ridiculously flat on the gainline. His tactical kicking is top notch, he defends just fine for a 10. He reads the game well and brings multiple options into the game with his excellent passing.

Unfortunately he can't win the game on his own off the back foot when his back row are getting manshamed...

I would agree with you on the breaks thing, but it seems Eddie doesn't want his half backs to offer any sustained running threat.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:08 pm 

Also the last time Ford made a break, all of last game, our openside couldn't support it anyway.

When it comes to directing the options of the system we're using then Ford, and indeed Farrell are doing just fine imo. I still don't think we need to use the system, and I'd prefer a running option at 12, but within what we are trying to do I think our 10 and 12 are doing okay and the problems are more in the front row, back row, and kicking from 9 at present

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:52 pm 

Its a certainty that Scotland are going to roll over for Ireland tomorrow isnt it..... :?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:57 pm 

I don't think so, indeed they beat them in the last 6N, albeit tomorrow it's at the Aviva. Scotland do need a new model of staying in the game though, Ireland will not give such easy chances to contest their rucks, and whilst Ireland tend to need a decent number of rucks to actually score any points they're unlikely to prove as toothless as England.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:01 pm 

I hope your right and objectively Scotland have the win in them..I just wonder if the elation of the win two weeks ago will make it hard for them to get their heads in the game especially away from home.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73931 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1635, 1636, 1637, 1638, 1639, 1640, 1641 ... 1849  Next