Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1683, 1684, 1685, 1686, 1687, 1688, 1689 ... 1964  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:21 am 

Talking of injuries at the weekend, Tommy Bell ruptured his Achilles on Sunday. Had the ball, stopped dead, passed it and fell over sideways. Looked horrible.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:35 am 

Margin_Walker wrote:
Talking of injuries at the weekend, Tommy Bell ruptured his Achilles on Sunday. Had the ball, stopped dead, passed it and fell over sideways. Looked horrible.

Sounds like one of Quins' backline moves.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:47 am 

fatcat wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:

Sounds like one of Quins' backline moves.

:o :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:11 am 

:lol:

Wonder if Lozowski's recent cameos at 13 might persuade Eddie to take a look at him as a Joseph alternative.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:13 am 

DragsterDriver wrote:
Petros wrote:
The Mail says Joseph is confirmed as out of the SA tour and Hartley's continuing headaches seem certain to rule him out

No surprise, he properly did his ankle x( very lucky not to go 'full cipriani' on it. Not good on hartley, could well force eddies hand to move on.

Not the way I'd want to see it but could be a bit of a blessing in that regard

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:07 am 

JM2K6 wrote:
:lol:

Wonder if Lozowski's recent cameos at 13 might persuade Eddie to take a look at him as a Joseph alternative.

Bit of a Bomb scare in defence, him and Farrell rushing up and missing people is scary.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:11 am 

Scrumhead wrote:
I’m not sure if Aspland-Robinson was let go or wanted to leave? He looked very good at U20 level and I’m almost certain he would have seen some game time this season but for the injury. I think we’ll end up regretting losing him.

Leicester it is then. Nice move for him

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:00 pm 

Any news on citings from the Sale Newcastle game? Thought Graham and Webber could be in trouble.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:52 pm 

Looks like Brad Shields is going to be selected for the SA tour, despite still playing for the Hurricanes. They will have to release him for the tests as they fall in the window - but he'll be needed for up to 6 games after the tour.

Not sure I'd be too impressed if I was an English Flanker, pushing hard for England selection in the Premiership........

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:55 pm 

Shields was always a shoo in.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:57 pm 

DragsterDriver wrote:

Would be nice for him to actually play here 1st.

Eddie will probably break him anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:13 pm 

ovalball wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:

Would be nice for him to actually play here 1st.

Eddie will probably break him anyway.

The way our luck is going he’ll break and never make it to wasps.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:14 pm 

:blush: didn’t see the break bit- did you edit that or am I blind?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:15 pm 

Why do people think otherwise, we see it all the time...

Foreign player lets it known he's half decent and can play for england, club signs him and posits him as a big signing. In reality, the RFU have had a word and said you can come over and we can promise a better wage and a guarantee to play international rugby.

I think the player is told he's guaranteed to play. It's the same exact thing as Burgess.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:18 pm 

DragsterDriver wrote:

I did edit it but 10 mins before you posted. He'll have him for at least 3 weeks - plenty of time to give him a career threatening injury or simply knacker him because he won't think he's fit enough.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:20 pm 

ovalball wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:

I did edit it but 10 mins before you posted. He'll have him for at least 3 weeks - plenty of time to give him a career threatening injury or simply knacker him because he won't think he's fit enough.

Ah! I probably daydreamed a bit while replying :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:21 pm 

Wendigo7 wrote:

Foreign player lets it known he's half decent and can play for england, club signs him and posits him as a big signing. In reality, the RFU have had a word and said you can come over and we can promise a better wage and a guarantee to play international rugby.

I think the player is told he's guaranteed to play. It's the same exact thing as Burgess.

I think if that actually happened; someone would have spilt the beans by now. But who am I to spoil a nice conspiracy theory.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:21 pm 

Wendigo7 wrote:

After all the fuss people made on here saying burgess wasn’t tapped up with an England place- it was clear as day.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:22 pm 

Rugby league superstar decides to leave Sydney to roll around in the bath mud for the winter*

*after a personal visit from England coaches.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:23 pm 

ovalball wrote:
Wendigo7 wrote:

I think if that actually happened; someone would have spilt the beans by now. But who am I to spoil a nice conspiracy theory.

Is that a serious post? :|

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:37 pm 

Symons and O'Conor got screwed...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:47 pm 

Raggs wrote:
Symons and O'Conor got screwed...

I said Eddie would do that once England's back row injury list became so great

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:43 pm 

ovalball wrote:
Wendigo7 wrote:

"It's the exact same thing as Burgess" i.e. a totally fabricated story made up by nutters and shitstirrers.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:15 pm 

Brazil wrote:
ovalball wrote:
Wendigo7 wrote:

"It's the exact same thing as Burgess" i.e. a totally fabricated story made up by nutters and shitstirrers.

I tend to agree - there'd have to be a lot of people involved - there'd always be one who couldn't keep it to himself and would let the cat out of the bag. Besides which, I think it's highly unlikely that any Union would give players a guarantee of playing for the national side - they'd never go beyond saying that the player would be in a good position and be directly in the selectors eye.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:31 pm 

Anyone who thinks the clubs would be happy with the RFU favouring a team or a player like that is nuts.

Anyone who thinks the blazers at the RFU have any influence on who Eddie picks is doubly nuts.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:24 am 

The article in the guardian seems to basically say that Eddie could pick him, rather than Eddie plans to pick him. Same thing happened with Piers Francis in Argentina though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:21 am 

Eddie has a tendency to revert to what is comfortable for him, and that is southern hemisphere players.

Graham was very good against Sale last week.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:21 am 

I hope he does take him if Eddie genuinely thinks he's an option for the world cup. This tour has to be the testing ground for players on the periphery of the team and our pack isn't good enough with current injuries and form.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:26 am 

New Zealand appear to have scotched the chance of Shields playing for England in SA - They say he's contracted to play for NZ teams until the end of the season and they aren't releasing him.

http://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/news/12321/11337401/new-zealand-boss-pours-cold-water-on-brad-shields-england-hopes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:30 am 

ovalball wrote:
New Zealand appear to have scotched the chance of Shields playing for England in SA - They say he's contracted to play for NZ teams until the end of the season and they aren't releasing him.

http://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/news/12321/11337401/new-zealand-boss-pours-cold-water-on-brad-shields-england-hopes

I didn't think they could stop him in an official test window?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:31 am 

ovalball wrote:

I thought players have to be released or does it not count as a proper test match?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:33 am 

DragsterDriver wrote:
ovalball wrote:

I thought players have to be released or does it not count as a proper test match?

He has to be released I believe... it's a proper tour, he's qualified, it's a recognised window for both Northern and Southern hemispheres.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:40 am 

They can't refuse him. He's qualified, and if selected, he has to be released for what is recognised as a global window. You're not allowed to write contracts that contradict reg-9 (that's 9.3).

https://www.worldrugby.org/handbook/reg ... eg-9/reg-9

9.2 A Union, Association, Rugby Body or Club is obliged to release a Player to the Union for which the Player is eligible when selected by such Union for a National Representative Team or National Squad in accordance with the provisions of this Regulation 9.

9.7 Global Release Periods

There are two Global Release Periods.

(a) The June window

The Right to Release for Matches shall apply to each of the senior National Representative Team, the next senior National Representative Team and the Under 20 National Representative Team of a Union in respect of all International Matches, International Tours and International Tournaments played over a period of three weekends in June each year, save in a Rugby World Cup year, during which year the June window shall not operate in respect of Unions that qualified for the Rugby World Cup. Unless Council approves otherwise the three weekends in June shall be the second, third and fourth weekends.

EDIT - If I was head coach, after reading that statement from NZ, even if I wasn't planning on picking him, I sure as hell would now.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:02 am 

Raggs wrote:
They can't refuse him. He's qualified, and if selected, he has to be released for what is recognised as a global window. You're not allowed to write contracts that contradict reg-9 (that's 9.3).

https://www.worldrugby.org/handbook/reg ... eg-9/reg-9

9.2 A Union, Association, Rugby Body or Club is obliged to release a Player to the Union for which the Player is eligible when selected by such Union for a National Representative Team or National Squad in accordance with the provisions of this Regulation 9.

9.7 Global Release Periods

There are two Global Release Periods.

(a) The June window

The Right to Release for Matches shall apply to each of the senior National Representative Team, the next senior National Representative Team and the Under 20 National Representative Team of a Union in respect of all International Matches, International Tours and International Tournaments played over a period of three weekends in June each year, save in a Rugby World Cup year, during which year the June window shall not operate in respect of Unions that qualified for the Rugby World Cup. Unless Council approves otherwise the three weekends in June shall be the second, third and fourth weekends.

EDIT - If I was head coach, after reading that statement from NZ, even if I wasn't planning on picking him, I sure as hell would now.

Quite. Take him as a tackle bag.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:07 am 

This means war

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2018/04/19/new-zealand-say-will-not-allow-brad-shields-join-england-south/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:12 am 

Brazil wrote:
ovalball wrote:
Wendigo7 wrote:

It's a compelling theory if one overlooks the significant number of players signed by Premiership clubs regardless of being EQ or not and the significant number of EQ foreigners who get picked up by Premiership clubs, touted for national honours, and remain uncapped.

It's almost as if the England management pick the players they think are the best, rather than being f**king stupid and guaranteeing honours to players to entice them to the NH.

Particularly when those players are not top-tier emerging stars who would be worth snatching from under the noses of the SH national sides, but are clearly good enough to be enticed by the same NH salaries that have been enticing all the other players from the SH for the past couple of decades.

It's a theory that - if you ignore all the holes in it - still makes no sense. And, despite being something that we "see all the time", only seems to have had one possible precedent - that of Burgess. Which - even if you believe that he was guaranteed a spot - turned out to be a catastrophic error, not worth repeating.

So... yeah....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:18 am 

ovalball wrote:

NZ might not want to go to war on this, as it seems clear that the contracts they have with their NZ-based players contravene WR regulation nine.

If they lose this, what happens to the hundreds of other contracts that they have in place?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:27 am 

4071 wrote:
ovalball wrote:

NZ might not want to go to war on this, as it seems clear that the contracts they have with their NZ-based players contravene WR regulation nine.

If they lose this, what happens to the hundreds of other contracts that they have in place?

And I think they would lose the case. IRB will not let local contracts supercede their international rules - it'd be an incredibly dangerous precedent. Just a question of whether the RFU want to play hardball - if they do I suspect NZRU will back down but be mightily miffed with the RFU.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:49 am 

ovalball wrote:

Nothing New Zealand can do in a test window.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:06 am 

It's the 'Express' I know, but; https://www.express.co.uk/sport/rugby-u ... ssion=true
Ring fencing not happening then? :thumbup:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1683, 1684, 1685, 1686, 1687, 1688, 1689 ... 1964  Next