Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72851 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1703, 1704, 1705, 1706, 1707, 1708, 1709 ... 1822  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:33 am 

U20s squad announced later. Smith dropping down to that do we think or having a break? Are we still likely to see the likes of Loader and Lawrence who are in the senior training squad next week?

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:52 am 

geordie_6 wrote:
From not enough scrum halves, to four. Impressive.

Youngs, Spencer, Robson who is the fourth?

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:53 am 

Graham seems to be have been binned off entirely, not in the squad of the 'not considered' list

Quote:
Not considered for selection:

Backs: Danny Care (Harlequins), Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby), Harry Mallinder (Northampton Saints), Joe Marchant (Harlequins), Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs), Semesa Rokoduguni (Bath Rugby), Manu Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers), Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby), Richard Wigglesworth (Saracens)

Forwards: Jack Clifford (Harlequins), Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers), Tom Dunn (Bath Rugby), Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby), Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints), James Haskell (Wasps), Nathan Hughes (Wasps), George Kruis (Saracens), Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints), Will Spencer (Worcester Warriors), Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby)

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:27 am 

Hilly got 14 caps at 8, 18 at 7 and 39 at 6- Lions- 3 at 7, 2 at 6.

Lol was first capped at 7 (when Clarke and Deano were in the side).

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:35 am 

Jake wrote:

I remember Hill being at 6 in the then Jade Stadium, not a game he'll likely look back on with fond memories, when was his other Lions cap at 6?

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:37 am 

piquant wrote:
Jake wrote:

I remember Hill being at 6 in the then Jade Stadium, not a game he'll likely look back on with fond memories, when was his other Lions cap at 6?

3rd test in SA?

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:50 am 

Delighted for Cips. Really pleased that Eddie is going to take a proper look. It sends the right message to players that there is a way back if you perform to a high enough standard week-in and week-out for your club.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:54 am 

polyallstar wrote:
geordie_6 wrote:
From not enough scrum halves, to four. Impressive.

Youngs, Spencer, Robson who is the fourth?

Ben Vellacott, but I think I've mentally combined the training squad with the touring squad. Sorry.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:05 pm 

duke wrote:
piquant wrote:
Jake wrote:

3rd test in SA?

Might have been. Hill was benched with Back starting, and I don't actually recall who was at 6 though I'll assume Dr Rob, and I don't recall either if Hill came off the bench, but it's the only match it could be I suppose

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:36 pm 

Petros wrote:
englishchief wrote:
Ben Earl is a 7 and only a 7 really.

I've never been convinced by Nathan Earle, even though he's been around the squad a fair bit.

I wasn't even before I saw the televised game where he butchered three tries in 10 minutes

Yep. No idea what Eddie sees in him. Completely unremarkable player. Trinder can play on the wing, why not take him?

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:12 pm 

englishchief wrote:
Petros wrote:
englishchief wrote:
Ben Earl is a 7 and only a 7 really.

I've never been convinced by Nathan Earle, even though he's been around the squad a fair bit.

I wasn't even before I saw the televised game where he butchered three tries in 10 minutes

Yep. No idea what Eddie sees in him. Completely unremarkable player. Trinder can play on the wing, why not take him?

or Woodburn FFS

Is it only me banging this drum and appropriating native American costumes and chants?

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:14 pm 

I don't see it with Woodburn. He's a decent wing, but has the advantage of playing for a dominant team. Don't see anything too exceptional watching him play

Not that I've been impressed with Earle though either.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:19 pm 

Bloody happy with that.

Willis. :smug:

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:22 pm 

Good to see some new faces - looking forward to the tour :thumbup:

Margin_Walker wrote:
I don't see it with Woodburn. He's a decent wing, but has the advantage of playing for a dominant team. Don't see anything too exceptional watching him play

Not that I've been impressed with Earle though either.

Scalping list

Margin Walker

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:27 pm 

SamShark wrote:

Same here.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:36 pm 

Very disappointed to see Robshaw and Brown in, and Woodward not making it. Would have taken two of Armand, Rhodes or Mercer instead of Robshaw and Earl. Prefer Smith or Joe Simmonds to Redpath but maybe that is a Jock block which is always great fun. We need pace in the centres I hope Daly plays there.

Absolutely delighted to see Willis, Shields, Hill and in particular Mark Wilson get the trip. Was hoping to see Tommy Taylor too.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:37 pm 

SamShark wrote:

Same here :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:43 pm 

Reckon Townsend has been after Graham's phone number? At the very least, I expect his old man to be stepping up the pressure to look north. :)

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:01 pm 

Hepburn not touring? I guess it has not helped that he is not always starting for Exeter, but he appears better than Marler ATM

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:18 pm 

Mick Mannock wrote:
Hepburn not touring? I guess it has not helped that he is not always starting for Exeter, but he appears better than Marler ATM

That would be more in matta's range of knowledge than mine.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:22 pm 

TopNacker wrote:
Very disappointed to see Robshaw and Brown in, and Woodward not making it. Would have taken two of Armand, Rhodes or Mercer instead of Robshaw and Earl. Prefer Smith or Joe Simmonds to Redpath but maybe that is a Jock block which is always great fun. We need pace in the centres I hope Daly plays there.

Absolutely delighted to see Willis, Shields, Hill and in particular Mark Wilson get the trip. Was hoping to see Tommy Taylor too.

Can’t see Daly playing centre; would mean we would have to start with either Earle or Solomona with May (plus he’s listed as an outside back and we’ve selected a lot of centres).

Looks like there are plenty of candidates to take the 7 shirt and to become a 2nd/3rd choice S/H (two of our big issues). Whilst I’m not too sad we didn’t pick Woodward, it would’ve been good to have a look at another F/B too.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:23 pm 

Joost wrote:
TopNacker wrote:

Can’t see Daly playing centre; would mean we would have to start with either Earle or Solomona with May (plus he’s listed as an outside back and we’ve selected a lot of centres).

Looks like there are plenty of candidates to take the 7 shirt and to become a 2nd/3rd choice S/H (two of our big issues). Whilst I’m not too sad we didn’t pick Woodward, it would’ve been good to have a look at another F/B too.

Daly?

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:26 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
Joost wrote:
TopNacker wrote:

Daly?

Cips I reckon

Eddie today:

Quote:
'He's been doing some things that I've asked him to in the games. Now he's got to prove he's the best 10 or 15'

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:37 pm 

TopNacker wrote:

Tommy Taylor has barely played this season and looked crocked again on Saturday

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:38 pm 

Rhodes has also been out for most of the season and Mercer is a lightweight at the moment

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:02 pm 

Margin_Walker wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
Joost wrote:
TopNacker wrote:

Daly?

Cips I reckon

Eddie today:

Quote:
'He's been doing some things that I've asked him to in the games. Now he's got to prove he's the best 10 or 15'

When was the last time Cips played 15? :?

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:03 pm 

I haven't seen much of Redpath - but I don't remember him being anything special in the U20s - Is he really at the level of a SA tour - or is this just us getting in before the Jocks. What does he bring to the table ?

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:06 pm 

ovalball wrote:
I haven't seen much of Redpath - but I don't remember him being anything special in the U20s - Is he really at the level of a SA tour - or is this just us getting in before the Jocks. What does he bring to the table ?

He's 18 and barely played any U20s really. Probably still technically in school. Probably a bit of showing him a bit of love before Scotland get involved.

Can't really see him getting a cap this tour though, unless they were desperate to tie him in.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:11 pm 

Redpath is still a year young for the U20's, I think he's only just turned 19, may even still be 18.
From what I've heard he's a very silky runner and distributor, a few Sale fans I know think he is similar to Greenwood in playing style. He can slot in at 10 but is viewed almost exclusively as a 12. H'es a decent size as well, plenty of scope to put some bulk on without it affecting his game. Don't know much more than that I'm afraid!

EDIT - I'm sure I read an article saying that Townsend had already spoken to him a few times, so there is a chance that Eddies giving him a bit of encouragement before Scotland come a-knocking :thumbup:

Last edited by 45jumper on Thu May 10, 2018 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:15 pm 

45jumper wrote:
Redpath is still a year young for the U20's, I think he's only just turned 19, may even still be 18.
From what I've heard he's a very silky runner and distributor, a few Sale fans I know think he is similar to Greenwood in playing style. He can slot in at 10 but is viewed almost exclusively as a 12. H'es a decent size as well, plenty of scope to put some bulk on without it affecting his game. Don't know much more than that I'm afraid!

So, if he looks good in training we might see him come on for a couple of minutes in the 3rd test :nod:

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:17 pm 

Margin_Walker wrote:
ovalball wrote:

He's 18 and barely played any U20s really. Probably still technically in school. Probably a bit of showing him a bit of love before Scotland get involved.

Can't really see him getting a cap this tour though, unless they were desperate to tie him in.
Rugbypass seem to think he's the next big thing: https://www.rugbypass.com/news/potentia ... uth-africa

Quote:
On Redpath and his inclusion as a non-apprentice, cap him.

Cap him, Eddie.

Seriously, cap him.

Don’t tell us we didn’t warn you.
Sounds like he was definitely at risk of going to Scotland: https://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-un ... -1-4736148

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:17 pm 

Joost wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
Joost wrote:
TopNacker wrote:

Daly?

Cips I reckon

Eddie today:

Quote:

When was the last time Cips played 15? :?

When playing S15?
Gopperth has shifted to FB rather than Cips when Wasps have needed to reshuffle in a game

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:47 pm 

piquant wrote:
Jake wrote:

2nd Test Aus 2001.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:07 pm 

Jake wrote:
piquant wrote:
Jake wrote:

2nd Test Aus 2001.

jake, we all know you are a huge Hill fanboi - but were you ever convinced on him when he played internationally as an 8 ?
for me, 6 or 7 didnt' really matter as he was always immense then - but at 8 ? who were the flankers then if he was an 8, Back & Worsley ?

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:14 pm 

backrow wrote:
Jake wrote:
piquant wrote:
Jake wrote:

2nd Test Aus 2001.

jake, we all know you are a huge Hill fanboi - but were you ever convinced on him when he played internationally as an 8 ?
for me, 6 or 7 didnt' really matter as he was always immense then - but at 8 ? who were the flankers then if he was an 8, Back & Worsley ?

Well, ironically if you asked him his best Eng performance, after Fra 01, he'll say Scot 99- when he played 8. Dallaglio was the issue- for a long time he didn't want to play at 8 and only 2000 onwards did he play there regularly. (despite often scrummaging at 8 wearing 6).

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:15 pm 

backrow wrote:
Jake wrote:
piquant wrote:
Jake wrote:

2nd Test Aus 2001.

TBF to Jake I mentioned Hill first in response to it being said that Willis doesn't play 7 for his club so can't be 7 for England. I'm more of the opinion that the balance of the backrow is what matters most and was making the point that the Trinity swapped a lot in their early combos to find out who was best where.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:21 pm 

crash 669 wrote:
backrow wrote:
Jake wrote:
piquant wrote:
Jake wrote:

2nd Test Aus 2001.

TBF to Jake I mentioned Hill first in response to it being said that Willis doesn't play 7 for his club so can't be 7 for England. I'm more of the opinion that the balance of the backrow is what matters most and was making the point that the Trinity swapped a lot in their early combos to find out who was best where.

Absolutely.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:25 pm 

Jake wrote:
backrow wrote:
Jake wrote:
piquant wrote:
Jake wrote:

2nd Test Aus 2001.

Well, ironically if you asked him his best Eng performance, after Fra 01, he'll say Scot 99- when he played 8. Dallaglio was the issue- for a long time he didn't want to play at 8 and only 2000 onwards did he play there regularly. (despite often scrummaging at 8 wearing 6).

interesting - didn't know that about LD
for all his amazing strengths and top skillz, Hill's hard yards trhough traffic crash ballness, was not too near the top of the pile, compared to LD or Worsley or Billy V etc.

my fave thing about Hill, was that it wasn't the flash stuff or amazing breaks - just consistently making the tackle, ripping the ball, being a nuisance to the opposition, being there for the linky pass etc. absolute best 'unseen work' type, and what he actually did so well was best seen when in fact he wasn't playing and England were fecking up and playing like dogshit for some umbeknownst reason.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72851 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1703, 1704, 1705, 1706, 1707, 1708, 1709 ... 1822  Next