Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:56 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1704, 1705, 1706, 1707, 1708, 1709, 1710 ... 1966  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:54 am 

Jake wrote:
I also believe Lanny's ethics are missed a bit.

Ethics? Are you not confusing that for his culture bollocks?

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:55 am 

Plastic Sarrie wrote:
I think it was telling that Itoje made a comment after the Sarries - Quins game about liking being back in an environment where he felt loved (or words to that effect) Sort of tells a story in itself about how Jones manages the England squad.

And yet Billy feels loved and understood in a way he wasn't under Lancaster. Sounds to me like prize Maro had a fall from grace after phoning in a few performances.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:03 am 

Gospel wrote:
Jake wrote:
I also believe Lanny's ethics are missed a bit.

Ethics? Are you not confusing that for his culture bollocks?

I always felt Lancaster over did that aspect, but I do believe a team identity is essential for sporting success. This is something coaches have stated in as a mark of success in every team sport.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:10 am 

Gospel wrote:
Plastic Sarrie wrote:
I think it was telling that Itoje made a comment after the Sarries - Quins game about liking being back in an environment where he felt loved (or words to that effect) Sort of tells a story in itself about how Jones manages the England squad.

And yet Billy feels loved and understood in a way he wasn't under Lancaster. Sounds to me like prize Maro had a fall from grace after phoning in a few performances.

Maybe. But also there is this, Itoje was also exhausted from the Lions tour and wasn't rested. Look at what wonders that did for Ireland. Instead of his coach understanding there is so much a human can take without the need for a recharge, Jones instead has a go at him.

The mark of a good coach is someone who is sympathetic to players individual needs and treats each player individually to their needs. Some players need a tough approach, if the time is reasonable and justified, some players need some TLC. Eddie Jones job is to get the best out of the players, not vent at them just because it feels good for him to do so after a loss. A good coach needs to make these man management judgements by knowing their players. That's how you get the best out of them.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:23 am 

eldanielfire wrote:
Gospel wrote:
Plastic Sarrie wrote:

Maybe. But also there is this, Itoje was also exhausted from the Lions tour and wasn't rested. Look at what wonders that did for Ireland. Instead of his coach understanding there is so much a human can take without the need for a recharge, Jones instead has a go at him.

The mark of a good coach is someone who is sympathetic to players individual needs and treats each player individually to their needs. Some players need a tough approach, if the time is reasonable and justified, some players need some TLC. Eddie Jones job is to get the best out of the players, not vent at them just because it feels good for him to do so after a loss. A good coach needs to make these man management judgements by knowing their players. That's how you get the best out of them.

Eddie wasn't the one who threw Maro straight back into the premiership after the lions tour, whilst his fellow lion Daly was still putting his feet up.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:24 am 

Raggs wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
Gospel wrote:
Plastic Sarrie wrote:

Eddie wasn't the one who threw Maro straight back into the premiership after the lions tour, whilst his fellow lion Daly was still putting his feet up.

I agree Saracens were just as guilty. The flaw in the RFU-Club relationship

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:37 am 

eldanielfire wrote:

I was rather pointing out that perhaps Maro's love isn't that well placed :D.

Anyway, Wasps announce 5 signings from the championship, pretty happy with them, plenty of potential.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:55 am 

Raggs wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

Anyway, Wasps announce 5 signings from the championship, pretty happy with them, plenty of potential.

I sure his comments are more about his treatment from coaches, not his playing time.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:06 pm 

Billy Searle from Bristol to Wasps. I wonder if that means Cipriani is going the other way

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:24 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
Itoje was also exhausted from the Lions tour and wasn't rested.

Didn't Itoje actually make fun of the fatigue argument himself? I'd wager it's been his new found celebrity status that has taken the edge off his performances. He's achieved a hell of a lot in the last couple of seasons.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:26 pm 

Raggs wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

Raggs what's the talk at Wasps regarding Cips transfer? From the chatter from various players it seems that he was reluctant to leave - so was it the money or just Dai wanting to go in a different direction?

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:43 pm 

Margin_Walker wrote:
U20s squad announced later. Smith dropping down to that do we think or having a break? Are we still likely to see the likes of Loader and Lawrence who are in the senior training squad next week?

Lawrence & Loader are playing. Smith is not.

Also not named for the South Africa game

Marcus Street (Started 2017 Semi final)
Dino Lamb-Cona (Started 2017 World Cup Final)
Ben Curry (Pulled out last year for the Seniors)
Sam Moore (Apparently could've won a cap for Wales in the autumn)
Will Butler (Started 2017 World Cup Final)
Gabriel Ibitoye (Started 2017 World Cup Final, nominated for junior player of the year)
Ali Crossdale (At 2017 JWC, injured after first match)

Does anyone know why these are not involved?

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:51 pm 

Gospel wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
Itoje was also exhausted from the Lions tour and wasn't rested.

Didn't Itoje actually make fun of the fatigue argument himself? I'd wager it's been his new found celebrity status that has taken the edge off his performances. He's achieved a hell of a lot in the last couple of seasons.

Long term fatigue won't be like being tired all the time, what it will be is simply doing the same things at a slower less responsive rate then when rested and thus the poorer performances.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:54 pm 

Slater582 wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:
U20s squad announced later. Smith dropping down to that do we think or having a break? Are we still likely to see the likes of Loader and Lawrence who are in the senior training squad next week?

Lawrence & Loader are playing. Smith is not.

Also not named for the South Africa game

Marcus Street (Started 2017 Semi final)
Dino Lamb-Cona (Started 2017 World Cup Final)
Ben Curry (Pulled out last year for the Seniors)
Sam Moore (Apparently could've won a cap for Wales in the autumn)
Will Butler (Started 2017 World Cup Final)
Gabriel Ibitoye (Started 2017 World Cup Final, nominated for junior player of the year)
Ali Crossdale (At 2017 JWC, injured after first match)

Does anyone know why these are not involved?

Butler picked up a bad looking injury in the last Worcester game of the season. Think Crossdale and B Curry are in camp with the U20s as they came up on Rory Brand's Instagram feed this week. Assume they'll announce the JWC squad shortly. Would have expected all the others above to be involved if fit, so not sure.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:08 pm 

Gospel wrote:
Raggs wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

Raggs what's the talk at Wasps regarding Cips transfer? From the chatter from various players it seems that he was reluctant to leave - so was it the money or just Dai wanting to go in a different direction?

No idea. Not really been connected at all recently. Read a lot of stuff from what you've heard to him being disruptive.

I did hear when he was signed that it was the boards call, so Dai may not have been willing to fight too hard. It's also been reported that he was off early (October or earlier i believe).

My guess is he told dai he wants to know his England chances, if in he'll stay on for a year (world cup). Dai can't afford to wait that long and take that risk so tells him they're looking elsewhere, we get lima and he looks elsewhere. Basically purely professionally handled business on both sides with little drama.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:57 pm 

I heard he's owed wages and the first team has been having to do their training at a local playground.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:05 pm 

JM2K6 wrote:
I heard he's owed wages and the first team has been having to do their training at a local playground.

Well yeah, everyone knows that, along with the fact that even though launch and Daly signed new contracts this season they're actually off.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:10 pm 

I wouldn’t have thought soapywanger will be a cheap replacement?

Anyway- who will sign cips then if he’s staying in the prem?

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:15 pm 

DragsterDriver wrote:

Sale, glaws and Bristol i reckon.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:27 pm 

While I was chairing the inaugural meeting of the Anti Wasps Society today, I did make the point that Sopoaga is probably cheaper than Cips, and getting Haskell off the books without a big money replacement seems to suggest the galactico era is on hiatus at wasps

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:46 pm 

JM2K6 wrote:
While I was chairing the inaugural meeting of the Anti Wasps Society today, I did make the point that Sopoaga is probably cheaper than Cips, and getting Haskell off the books without a big money replacement seems to suggest the galactico era is on hiatus at wasps

I wouldn't be so sure of that ... from Wasps' twitter:

Quote:
After today's announcement of five new signings from @Champrugby, we have more 2018/19 squad news coming your way on Monday and Tuesday next week...

Wasps have removed/lost 10 players or thereabouts haven't they?

Any speculation as to who it'd be? Wouldn't be a formal announcement about Sapoaga / Shields, would it? Not sure what else they'd need, unless it's tight five? The marquees and the Champ 5 fill in inside backs and back row. Back three and halfbacks are sorted.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:01 pm 

Nieghorn wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:

I wouldn't be so sure of that ... from Wasps' twitter:

Quote:
After today's announcement of five new signings from @Champrugby, we have more 2018/19 squad news coming your way on Monday and Tuesday next week...
that's kind of proving the point...

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:45 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
Jake wrote:
backrow wrote:

interesting - didn't know that about LD
for all his amazing strengths and top skillz, Hill's hard yards trhough traffic crash ballness, was not too near the top of the pile, compared to LD or Worsley or Billy V etc.

my fave thing about Hill, was that it wasn't the flash stuff or amazing breaks - just consistently making the tackle, ripping the ball, being a nuisance to the opposition, being there for the linky pass etc. absolute best 'unseen work' type, and what he actually did so well was best seen when in fact he wasn't playing and England were fecking up and playing like dogshit for some umbeknownst reason.

Scroll to 3.54 on here...also, you mentioned Hill's linking- the try before his is worth watching too- one of the best piece of support play I have ever seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2USK9DolxU

He doesn't get quite the same plaudits as others on that team, but fûck lewsey was good.

To be honest, we didn’t really have any weak links there, in any position - and had lots of arguably the best players in the world at that time. Wilko, Robinson , Greenwood , Cohen , johnson, holy trinity - all immense. Had kind of forgotten quite how much JSD did in relatively few caps, or how much gas Cohen had. Sadly I don’t think any of our current team would have got into that side, maybe Farrell over Catt , launchbury over Kay - but not many others.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:31 pm 

Was this discussed? https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/ ... n-14632240

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:36 pm 

Under 20's on Freesports Sky channel 422

0-7 to SA already

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:43 pm 

U20s got thumped by SA 12-26. SA just played smarter rugby. Ollie Lawrence had a bit of a shocker with everything he touched going wrong.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:50 pm 

Raggs wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:

Well yeah, everyone knows that, along with the fact that even though launch and Daly signed new contracts this season they're actually off.

I think the article claimed they will leave at the end of their current contracts. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:08 pm 

Apols for the interruption gentlemen;

Is the Wasps Earnings kerfuffle, something that could have consequences in the AP; or is it purely a Stock Exchange issue ?

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:09 pm 

fishfoodie wrote:
Apols for the interruption gentlemen;

Is the Wasps Earnings kerfuffle, something that could have consequences in the AP; or is it purely a Stock Exchange issue ?

Seems pretty serious. I'm thinking that a 50 point deduction is the only credible sanction here

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:12 pm 

It does make me raise an eyebrow over their salary cap fubar - clearly they're a bit loose with their financial dealings. Once is careless, twice...

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:15 pm 

JM2K6 wrote:
It does make me raise an eyebrow over their salary cap fubar - clearly they're a bit loose with their financial dealings. Once is careless, twice...

Coincidence?

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:16 pm 

JM2K6 wrote:

Is there any; 'Financial Fair Play', type rules in play; where if your earnings are 1 mill, you get A added to you salary pool; & so if they only earned 500k; they should only have a/2 next year ?

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:18 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:

Coincidence?

Convincing.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:09 pm 

terryfinch wrote:
U20s got thumped by SA 12-26. SA just played smarter rugby. Ollie Lawrence had a bit of a shocker with everything he touched going wrong.

It was a good hit out for the U20's and an intercept TRY at the end of the game does not a thumping make. The SA team are on tour and have played a few games together. I'd hope and expect England to be better for the experience.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:17 pm 

JM2K6 wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:

Coincidence?

Convincing.

And you're the enemy action

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:19 pm 

Anonymous. wrote:
terryfinch wrote:

It was a good hit out for the U20's and an intercept TRY at the end of the game does not a thumping make. The SA team are on tour and have played a few games together. I'd hope and expect England to be better for the experience.

Up until that intercept, I thought we might nick it. Played quite well in the 2nd half. We were also missing a fair few of our better players - so not too disappointing, all things considered. SA looked pretty handy though, made good use of their maul and showed some good hands, at time, while playing at pace.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 5:59 am 

DragsterDriver wrote:

You really don't have to do that with his name

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:55 am 

So The Times is reporting that Quins are targeting Paul Gustard to take over from JK - and are prepared to buy anyone out of their contract. Hmm. So the list of targets is something like Gustard, Edwards, and uh Ben Ryan.

As a Quins fan I'd be pretty happy with that, but as an England fan I'd be pretty peeved.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:12 am 

JM2K6 wrote:
So The Times is reporting that Quins are targeting Paul Gustard to take over from JK - and are prepared to buy anyone out of their contract. Hmm. So the list of targets is something like Gustard, Edwards, and uh Ben Ryan.

As a Quins fan I'd be pretty happy with that, but as an England fan I'd be pretty peeved.

Also, where's the cash coming from?

A couple of weeks ago I was reading articles about how you'd struggle to pay Kingston off?

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:06 am 

fishfoodie wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:

Is there any; 'Financial Fair Play', type rules in play; where if your earnings are 1 mill, you get A added to you salary pool; & so if they only earned 500k; they should only have a/2 next year ?

Financial fair play :lol:

In the premiership :lol:

(pause)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1704, 1705, 1706, 1707, 1708, 1709, 1710 ... 1966  Next