Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1706, 1707, 1708, 1709, 1710, 1711, 1712 ... 1966  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21294
Location: Gypsy Jack Nowell
Will be good for burns to be around an experienced 10 for the season.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:13 pm
Posts: 2277
If it’s true that Gloucester are also getting RJvR, Mostert and Dreyer, they’re building a heck of a side there.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 839
Not sure about Mostert, that might just be a rumour. Grobbler from Munster is more likely.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 17668
Location: Centre of the Universe
I guess in literal terms, 6'7" Charlie Matthews is a 'big' signing for Wasps ...

http://www.wasps.co.uk/news/article/201 ... -19-season


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 12524
Location: West of Londinium
Nieghorn wrote:
I guess in literal terms, 6'7" Charlie Matthews is a 'big' signing for Wasps ...

http://www.wasps.co.uk/news/article/201 ... -19-season

He's been phoning it in for Quims for a while. I'd prefer a far more abrasive signing.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21294
Location: Gypsy Jack Nowell
Gospel wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:
I guess in literal terms, 6'7" Charlie Matthews is a 'big' signing for Wasps ...

http://www.wasps.co.uk/news/article/201 ... -19-season

He's been phoning it in for Quims for a while. I'd prefer a far more abrasive signing.


He's a poor mans Gaskell from what I've seen?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:49 am
Posts: 16733
DragsterDriver wrote:
Gospel wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:
I guess in literal terms, 6'7" Charlie Matthews is a 'big' signing for Wasps ...

http://www.wasps.co.uk/news/article/201 ... -19-season

He's been phoning it in for Quims for a while. I'd prefer a far more abrasive signing.


He's a poor mans Gaskell from what I've seen?


Let's hope that we can upgrade him. If not, he can stay behind all the others.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3358
Nieghorn wrote:
I guess in literal terms, 6'7" Charlie Matthews is a 'big' signing for Wasps ...

http://www.wasps.co.uk/news/article/201 ... -19-season

He'd better not suddenly find a hard edge after the years of being soft as butter for Quins.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:03 pm
Posts: 169
Location: Bristol
Hopefully we will see an end to Twelvetrees moving to 10 to close out games


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm
Posts: 31890
Location: Planet Rock
eldanielfire wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
Farrell and Lancaster denied it and made the point there were only 4 people in the selection meetings. Themselves Mike Catt and Rowntree. Sounds more like a case of people believing Farrell must have to much influence so it becomes a fact that he selected the team. Unless Billy Vunipola was hiding behind the curtains. Although I have had a look and can't actually find anything where Billy says that

Andy Farrell interview


It's a bit of a strawman the believe all decisions and interactions about the first team is confined to a selection room. Have you never played rugby before? The coaches speak about the team with the tactics on the training pitch, players, how else do they prepare plays or positioning for defense or set-pieces?

If Lancaster or Catt is saying "we'll do this play using x,y,z's skills" and Farrell is coaching a different tactic that uses other players abilites, the players can suss what is going on. The supposed undermining and arguments also related to the teams play. As I said Farrell and Catt where battling each over on how the team should function, that obviously goes on in training in front of the players.
Bottom line is you want to believe farrell is the bully who picked the team and will accept accusations from people who were not there as fact despite the denials of the people who who were there.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2897
Hask to Saints confirmed. Which is... something.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:43 pm
Posts: 1197
crash 669 wrote:
Hask to Saints confirmed. Which is... something.


Underwhelming.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3601
Mahoney wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:
I guess in literal terms, 6'7" Charlie Matthews is a 'big' signing for Wasps ...

http://www.wasps.co.uk/news/article/201 ... -19-season

He'd better not suddenly find a hard edge after the years of being soft as butter for Quins.


Slightly surprised they’ve ditched Symonds and signed Matthews, MS looks the better player to me and wouldn’t imagine he’d be on more money(?). What’s the story there?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:49 am
Posts: 16733
Joost wrote:
Mahoney wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:
I guess in literal terms, 6'7" Charlie Matthews is a 'big' signing for Wasps ...

http://www.wasps.co.uk/news/article/201 ... -19-season

He'd better not suddenly find a hard edge after the years of being soft as butter for Quins.


Slightly surprised they’ve ditched Symonds and signed Matthews, MS looks the better player to me and wouldn’t imagine he’d be on more money(?). What’s the story there?


I'd guess he would be on equivalent cash at least, probably more (Symons that is). Symons has barely played due to injury, but also he'd slipped down the pecking order, with Gaskell pairing with Launch, and Rowlands looking like a strong shout for 3rd choice, along with Myall. We're very strong at lock, so if we can get Matthews for not too much, and upgrade him, then it's great.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 12524
Location: West of Londinium
Oxbow wrote:
crash 669 wrote:
Hask to Saints confirmed. Which is... something.


Underwhelming.

You'll be surprised. Haskell's physicality is old school Sinners IMHO.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21294
Location: Gypsy Jack Nowell
Oxbow wrote:
crash 669 wrote:
Hask to Saints confirmed. Which is... something.


Underwhelming.


Who plays 8?

Timmy has looked much better at 7. Wood still decent.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:43 pm
Posts: 1197
DragsterDriver wrote:
Oxbow wrote:
crash 669 wrote:
Hask to Saints confirmed. Which is... something.


Underwhelming.


Who plays 8?

Timmy has looked much better at 7. Wood still decent.


The whole back row has looked better and more balanced with Gibson at 6 and Timmy at 7, shifting him back to 8 would be a waste. I'm sure Haskell will do a job for a year, but we were in dire need of a big lump at 8 rather than another 6.5.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21294
Location: Gypsy Jack Nowell
Oxbow wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:
Oxbow wrote:
crash 669 wrote:
Hask to Saints confirmed. Which is... something.


Underwhelming.


Who plays 8?

Timmy has looked much better at 7. Wood still decent.


The whole back row has looked better and more balanced with Gibson at 6 and Timmy at 7, shifting him back to 8 would be a waste. I'm sure Haskell will do a job for a year, but we were in dire need of a big lump at 8 rather than another 6.5.


Yep, well stocked at 6/7 i think. Strange one really, hask will give the squad a lift i think and do a job, but not the position needed :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11798
Yarde and Trinder called up to the England Training camp

Cam Redpath has a knock and unlikely to train. Loader injured his ankle playing for the U20s.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 9:18 pm
Posts: 2503
Trinder :thumbup:

Yarde :uhoh: not doubting his ability, but for team harmony with the Quins lads...


Last edited by englishchief on Mon May 14, 2018 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1017
Pleased for Yarde, he's been an excellent signing for us. Took a few games to get into it but hasn't looked back since. Trinder should've been in from the start, still a good chance for him though. Unfortunate about Redpath, would've thought the Baabaas game would've been perfect for him.
Margin, heard anything about Loader? He was linked with us a while back but seems to have gone quiet again. Is he staying with you? Would've thought we have enough wingers, a year in the Championship would do him the world of good IMO.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 311
Location: The Gardens
DragsterDriver wrote:
Oxbow wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:
Oxbow wrote:
crash 669 wrote:
Hask to Saints confirmed. Which is... something.


Underwhelming.


Who plays 8?

Timmy has looked much better at 7. Wood still decent.


The whole back row has looked better and more balanced with Gibson at 6 and Timmy at 7, shifting him back to 8 would be a waste. I'm sure Haskell will do a job for a year, but we were in dire need of a big lump at 8 rather than another 6.5.


Yep, well stocked at 6/7 i think. Strange one really, hask will give the squad a lift i think and do a job, but not the position needed :)


I disagree. With our current backrow options a lot are lock/blindside style players and we lack someone with proper size. Haskell can bring that and some much needed ball carrying to the backrow. Plus, he's a genuine leader and a good influence on the squad. For all the joking around he is actually a massive grafter and sets a great example in terms of work ethic, something which Wood questioned a little recently.

Hopefully we didn't break the bank and he's on less than people think but I reckon he will do a good job for a couple of seasons.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11798
45jumper wrote:
Pleased for Yarde, he's been an excellent signing for us. Took a few games to get into it but hasn't looked back since. Trinder should've been in from the start, still a good chance for him though. Unfortunate about Redpath, would've thought the Baabaas game would've been perfect for him.
Margin, heard anything about Loader? He was linked with us a while back but seems to have gone quiet again. Is he staying with you? Would've thought we have enough wingers, a year in the Championship would do him the world of good IMO.


Wasn't on the list of leavers* and is all over our promotional material for next season. Would be a surprise if he left this summer.

Josh Basham was on the list out of the blue. Whoever nabbed him hasn't made themselves known yet. The most annoying departure as we can't even hold on to teenagers who realistically aren't going to be getting a lot of AP gametime the season after leaving.

Yarde is a decent winger and always shows up in an England shirt. Would have preferred him to be touring to Earle


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11798
Hask makes sense as a signing. Wont break the bank, very experienced, still has the required physicality and will work his arse off to try and catch Eddie's eye.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14877
Location: Investigating racism in the NHS
The Nathan Earle repeat selection in England squads is baffling

Aside from one half decent season in the Mitre 10 Cup he really hasn't done anything suggesting he's test class yet. At least Piers Francis managed a season or two of half decent showings at Super Rugby before his first cap

If Christian Wade ever gets frustrated with his lack of England caps he should just spread rumours of being in contract negotiations with any Super Rugby franchise at all and he'll get fast tracked into the test team straight away


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21294
Location: Gypsy Jack Nowell
openclashXX wrote:
The Nathan Earle repeat selection in England squads is baffling

Aside from one half decent season in the Mitre 10 Cup he really hasn't done anything suggesting he's test class yet. At least Piers Francis managed a season or two of half decent showings at Super Rugby before his first cap

If Christian Wade ever gets frustrated with his lack of England caps he should just spread rumours of being in contract negotiations with any Super Rugby franchise at all and he'll get fast tracked into the test team straight away


It probably wouldn’t be the maddest idea to do a season in nz and show himself capable.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 12965
Delighted for Trinder, always been good enough but must have wondered on several occasions if he'd ever play agin.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 12356
Joost wrote:
Mahoney wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:
I guess in literal terms, 6'7" Charlie Matthews is a 'big' signing for Wasps ...

http://www.wasps.co.uk/news/article/201 ... -19-season

He'd better not suddenly find a hard edge after the years of being soft as butter for Quins.


Slightly surprised they’ve ditched Symonds and signed Matthews, MS looks the better player to me and wouldn’t imagine he’d be on more money(?). What’s the story there?


His injury record is far more suitable to the Quins player profile.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 839
RodneyRegis wrote:
Delighted for Trinder, always been good enough but must have wondered on several occasions if he'd ever play agin.


What's the betting he comes back broken? 😟


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3601
Margin_Walker wrote:
Hask makes sense as a signing. Wont break the bank, very experienced, still has the required physicality and will work his arse off to try and catch Eddie's eye.


Not to mention he’ll have a massive point to prove after being let-go by Wasps; that must’ve stung!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 9:18 pm
Posts: 2503
openclashXX wrote:
The Nathan Earle repeat selection in England squads is baffling

Aside from one half decent season in the Mitre 10 Cup he really hasn't done anything suggesting he's test class yet. At least Piers Francis managed a season or two of half decent showings at Super Rugby before his first cap

If Christian Wade ever gets frustrated with his lack of England caps he should just spread rumours of being in contract negotiations with any Super Rugby franchise at all and he'll get fast tracked into the test team straight away


Yep, mentioned it at the time of the squad announcement, I genuinely have no idea why he is there.

From what I've seen of him so far, he is the definition of mediocre (and that's at AP level!). I'd rather take Bassett, Wade, Woodburn, just anyone who consistently performs in the AP, over him.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 17668
Location: Centre of the Universe
DragsterDriver wrote:
openclashXX wrote:
The Nathan Earle repeat selection in England squads is baffling

Aside from one half decent season in the Mitre 10 Cup he really hasn't done anything suggesting he's test class yet. At least Piers Francis managed a season or two of half decent showings at Super Rugby before his first cap

If Christian Wade ever gets frustrated with his lack of England caps he should just spread rumours of being in contract negotiations with any Super Rugby franchise at all and he'll get fast tracked into the test team straight away


It probably wouldn’t be the maddest idea to do a season in nz and show himself capable.


This!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 13285
Location: South Oxfordshire
Margin_Walker wrote:
Hask makes sense as a signing. Wont break the bank, very experienced, still has the required physicality and will work his arse off to try and catch Eddie's eye.


This. It's uninspiring, but it's not stupid


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 12524
Location: West of Londinium
Nieghorn wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:
openclashXX wrote:
The Nathan Earle repeat selection in England squads is baffling

Aside from one half decent season in the Mitre 10 Cup he really hasn't done anything suggesting he's test class yet. At least Piers Francis managed a season or two of half decent showings at Super Rugby before his first cap

If Christian Wade ever gets frustrated with his lack of England caps he should just spread rumours of being in contract negotiations with any Super Rugby franchise at all and he'll get fast tracked into the test team straight away


It probably wouldn’t be the maddest idea to do a season in nz and show himself capable.


This!

I think he'd do very well and like it so much he'd stay.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:13 pm
Posts: 2277
englishchief wrote:
openclashXX wrote:
The Nathan Earle repeat selection in England squads is baffling

Aside from one half decent season in the Mitre 10 Cup he really hasn't done anything suggesting he's test class yet. At least Piers Francis managed a season or two of half decent showings at Super Rugby before his first cap

If Christian Wade ever gets frustrated with his lack of England caps he should just spread rumours of being in contract negotiations with any Super Rugby franchise at all and he'll get fast tracked into the test team straight away


Yep, mentioned it at the time of the squad announcement, I genuinely have no idea why he is there.

From what I've seen of him so far, he is the definition of mediocre (and that's at AP level!). I'd rather take Bassett, Wade, Woodburn, just anyone who consistently performs in the AP, over him.


Yep. 100% agree.

Before this season, he got a fairly easy ride on the basis of the potential he showed at age grade level. He’s had a reasonable chance to establish himself and hasn’t ...

He’ll get plenty more game time at Quins but I’ll be pleasantly surprised if he’s any better than average.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 17668
Location: Centre of the Universe
Do Wasps need another winger?

Ambrose Curtis signs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2Jio4i0QOw

Daly, Wade, Bassett, Watson... Lovabalavu in a pinch and with two new centres to step into the middle if so.

He'll certainly be useful, looking like a Bassett type, possibly with more pace. As above, I'd rather see AP clubs take more chances on Championship players.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:49 am
Posts: 16733
Nieghorn wrote:
Do Wasps need another winger?

Ambrose Curtis signs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2Jio4i0QOw

Daly, Wade, Bassett, Watson... Lovabalavu in a pinch and with two new centres to step into the middle if so.

He'll certainly be useful, looking like a Bassett type, possibly with more pace. As above, I'd rather see AP clubs take more chances on Championship players.


We've just brought in 5 more championship players... I'd guess 6'4" 100kg wingers, capable of playing 7s for NZ, aren't exactly falling off trees. However, he was also on a game by game contract basis with an itm cup side in NZ, which suggests no one else really saw much in him for some reason. Should at least mean he's cheap.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20503
Anonymous. wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
Farrell and Lancaster denied it and made the point there were only 4 people in the selection meetings. Themselves Mike Catt and Rowntree. Sounds more like a case of people believing Farrell must have to much influence so it becomes a fact that he selected the team. Unless Billy Vunipola was hiding behind the curtains. Although I have had a look and can't actually find anything where Billy says that

Andy Farrell interview


It's a bit of a strawman the believe all decisions and interactions about the first team is confined to a selection room. Have you never played rugby before? The coaches speak about the team with the tactics on the training pitch, players, how else do they prepare plays or positioning for defense or set-pieces?

If Lancaster or Catt is saying "we'll do this play using x,y,z's skills" and Farrell is coaching a different tactic that uses other players abilites, the players can suss what is going on. The supposed undermining and arguments also related to the teams play. As I said Farrell and Catt where battling each over on how the team should function, that obviously goes on in training in front of the players.
Bottom line is you want to believe farrell is the bully who picked the team and will accept accusations from people who were not there as fact despite the denials of the people who who were there.


As pointed out, I never claimed Farrell's supposed behaviour was confined to a single room and for anyone who understands how a rugby team is run you'll know the calls aren't just confined to one meeting room either, a false fact you are grasping onto to try oppose mine.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1017
I think what Eddie sees in Earle is potential. He's an incredible physical specimen so I can see the interest. Hopefully a season starting for Quins will see him really kick on :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 12965
forrester wrote:
RodneyRegis wrote:
Delighted for Trinder, always been good enough but must have wondered on several occasions if he'd ever play agin.


What's the betting he comes back broken? 😟



I'll give you 50-1 on.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1706, 1707, 1708, 1709, 1710, 1711, 1712 ... 1966  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: camroc1, CarrotGawks, danthefan, elcamino, Ewinkum, Google Adsense [Bot], Google [Bot], inactionman, Jeff the Bear, LandOTurk, Lazer, Leinsterman, Mick Mannock, Morgan14, obelixtim, Oceanbreeze, Rinkals, Seez, Sefton, Xupi and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group