Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78619 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1761, 1762, 1763, 1764, 1765, 1766, 1767 ... 1966  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:24 pm 

Gospel wrote:
Scrumhead wrote:
I’m interested to see whether Lozowski ends-up replacing Bosch at 13. Probably most beneficial for England if he does TBH with Joseph injured, Slade underwhelming, Daly preferred at 11 or 15 and the high likelihood of Tuilagi being injured too.

Does he have the legs for 13? Looks the part when playing on the inside.

What do you mean by this? If you’re referring to pace, Lozowski has plenty. I think he’s probably faster than Slade and Tuilagi.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:40 pm 

Loz definitely has some wheels. Hopefully he's spent all pre season training at 13 and improving his defensive reads.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:45 pm 

I'm wondering what Loz does better at 13 than Joe Marchant.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:51 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:54 pm 

I’m a big fan of Marchant’s. He needs a really strong, injury-free season to push himself from being on the fringes of the squad to getting a proper chance.

Given how close we are to the World Cup, I suspect Eddie will want to focus on players he knows and Marchant has had an unfortunate track record of getting injured whenever he makes the squad.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:59 pm 

Scrumhead wrote:
Gospel wrote:
Scrumhead wrote:
I’m interested to see whether Lozowski ends-up replacing Bosch at 13. Probably most beneficial for England if he does TBH with Joseph injured, Slade underwhelming, Daly preferred at 11 or 15 and the high likelihood of Tuilagi being injured too.

Does he have the legs for 13? Looks the part when playing on the inside.

What do you mean by this? If you’re referring to pace, Lozowski has plenty. I think he’s probably faster than Slade and Tuilagi.

When he was at Wasps I don't recall him having the sort of gas that would make him an outside centre like Joseph or Daly but he's clearly a better distributor which is why I have always liked him as a sort of second five eight. Compared with Slade he's got the better attributes IMO. As for Manu his x-factor was more to do with his ability to run straight over people.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:40 am 

Loz has serious pace.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:28 am 

Quote:
Tom Youngs: The trauma of my wife's battle with terminal cancer - and our new hope for the future

Tom Youngs possesses one of those rare infectious smiles that can light up an entire room. Even throughout an often harrowing account of his wife’s diagnosis with terminal cancer and subsequent remission, a grin rarely leave the face of the Leicester captain, knowing that life as a husband, father and professional rugby player is finally returning to normal.

His eyes, however, briefly betray the flashes of the pain of having to help plan his Tiffany’s funeral and telling their daughter, Maisie, that mummy is going to heaven. Even now, the 31-year-old struggles to express how they managed to cope with so many conflicting emotions over the past 18 months.

“It is very hard for people to understand or imagine, but when you are in the situation you are in the situation,” Youngs says in his first newspaper interview since Tiffany was given the all-clear. “You just crack on. There’s no other way to get through it.”

Shortly after giving birth to Maisie in 2013, Tiffany developed a persistent cough. After undergoing tests, it was confirmed that, at 28, she had Hodgkin’s lymphoma, a form of cancer that develops within the lymphatic system, a network of vessels and glands that spread throughout the body. Then in 2017, Tiffany was told that she had between four weeks and a year to live. After years of chemotherapy, Tiffany started seeking alternative treatments. Slowly, she started improving but in February this year she fell ill again and had to be admitted to hospital. The doctors booked her in for a scan while she was there. Not expecting the results until the following day, Tom, Maisie and Tiffany’s mother popped out to get some food. Then the phone rang.

“I was in the car with her mum and Maisie going to Wagamama when she rang to say it’s gone,” Youngs said. “Obviously, it was incredibly emotional, but it took some digesting. It probably was not until our time off in the summer that we could sit down, digest it and realise it has gone so that we can move on with our lives. That was one of the best things, the ten days in Portugal just being a family again, the three of us. It was just like any family holiday but for us it was so special.”

The news that Tiffany was in remission was made public in May as Tom’s brother, Ben, withdrew from the Lions tour to New Zealand. Just 12 months previously, Tiffany was planning her own funeral and meticulously making all the necessary arrangements for how life would continue without her.

“I knew everything as well as I could so if she asked me a question at 2am about where something is I could say it is in a box downstairs in the garage,” Youngs said. “I wanted to make sure that she was not nervous about the fact I didn’t know anything.

“We had all those conversations over a week because we wanted to park it and move on so we could try to do things that she wanted to do rather than keep going back to it. It was almost like let’s have it, do it and have everything in place.

“All those conversations are very, very hard. They have made us better people. It gives you a reality check on life. You discover what is important and what isn’t. You don’t tend to get strung up on things too much. All those horrible conversations and mental boxes that I have to give this card to Maisie on her wedding day and this card on that day. We shouldn’t be having these conversations. It is not fair. But you are and you have to get things in place because we didn’t know how long she had. Luckily things turned a corner and we managed to get back to where are now with a future ahead of us.”

Tiffany radically changed her diet, cutting out all red meat and diary, and began fasting from 7pm until noon the following day. She also started taking cannabis oil and using an ENS cosmodic machine treatment, which sends electronic pulses to attempt to stimulate the body’s cells.

“I was a believer in giving anything a go because we had nothing to lose,” Youngs said. “Luckily, we things turned our way. We don’t know exactly what it was. We don’t know whether it was the matter of her coming off her medication rebooted her immune system. Or the cannabis oil. Or her diet. There are so many things it could be, you can’t pinpoint any one thing. She is in a really good spot at the moment. She has started exercising again. She has had four years of chemotherapy and that does a lot to your muscles.”

All the time that his wife’s diagnosis was terminal, Youngs not only kept playing for Leicester, but was captain throughout. For all the club’s failings last season that resulted in them missing out on the the play-offs for the first time in 14 years, Youngs’ leadership was not one of them.

“One of the big things you learn around great captains is that culturally they set the benchmark and Tommy does that perfectly,” Mark Bakewell, the club’s forwards coach, said. “He gives every single ounce of energy, blood and sweat that he can for this club. Captains like that are golddust because you can build a club around them.”

It is only now that Youngs, the 28-cap England hooker, realises how much he was being weighed down. He candidly admits that he used rugby as an escape mechanism. “Playing rugby gave me something to focus on and probably helped me not to lose my mind,” Youngs said. “It was a way to get away. I think now I can give it more of my focus. Before it was more of a distraction. It is not that, it is a way of my life.”

With the start of the new Gallagher Premiership season just over a week away, everyone is happy. No club has lost, no player has been dropped. Optimism abounds, but there will be no wider smile than Youngs’s.

The 31-year-old cannot wait for the season to start. Extensive reviews have been undertaken and Bakewell has completely remodelled the lineout operation. The additions of David Denton and Will Spencer should provide the ballast that the pack was lacking last season. But as Youngs rightly says they will only discover the true extent of their improvements when they open their campaign with the most daunting of assignments, away to Exeter Chiefs.

More than anything, Youngs is just relishing a return to normality and of treating rugby as a passion rather than a distraction. “It has been nice to come in and train, and to go home and be normal,” Youngs said. “That’s the biggest thing I have learnt from it is to not take anything for granted. Even having a walk down the park, it is so nice to be able to do all that without worrying about how long we are going to be doing this for and all these other horrible questions I had in my head. Now I can just park them and just be me and just worry about rugby.

“I know everything is sweet with my family so I don’t have to rush home from training just in case Tiff is not feeling very well. It always felt like I was in a rush. It has been nice to crack on and get back to rugby, the thing I love.

“Everything feels different. I feel different as a person. I feel fitter. I’m probably not fitter, but I have less pressure on me. I look back and sometimes think I don’t know how we did it but we did and we’re out the other side.”

Room got a bit dusty reading this. Well played Mr & Mrs Youngs.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:38 am 

What a waste of time that Cipriani hearing was. Did like Haskell's take on it all though...

Quote:
“It’s just the oldest case of trial by social media. Everyone does that now and that is the pain of social media with everyone who is ill-informed and knows nothing,” Haskell said. “People love to hate [Danny], but I know him as a good hard-working guy and it is time to move on. It was time to move on an hour after the court case – but a few ex-players and coaches threw him under the bus for easy headlines. Hopefully when I am finished playing I can get paid to come out with crap as that seems like the thing to do.

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:08 pm 

Hask wrote:
but a few ex-players and coaches threw him under the bus...

Oh shit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:20 pm 

naki wrote:
Hask wrote:

Oh shit

The Hask has been on this bandwaggon since Cipriani was reported. He seems to think his mate can do no wrong, regardless of his whole history.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:01 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
naki wrote:
Hask wrote:

Oh shit

The Hask has been on this bandwaggon since Cipriani was reported. He seems to think his mate can do no wrong, regardless of his whole history.

whoosh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:15 pm 

Quote:
Room got a bit dusty reading this. Well played Mr & Mrs Youngs.

Yep, heck of an uplifting story.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:34 pm 

blindcider wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
naki wrote:
Hask wrote:

Oh shit

whoosh

Nah. I'ma ware of the crack he made at the end, but it's after a serious moan about Danny's treatment after other moans.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:12 pm 

45jumper wrote:
What a waste of time that Cipriani hearing was. Did like Haskell's take on it all though...

Quote:
“It’s just the oldest case of trial by social media. Everyone does that now and that is the pain of social media with everyone who is ill-informed and knows nothing,” Haskell said. “People love to hate [Danny], but I know him as a good hard-working guy and it is time to move on. It was time to move on an hour after the court case – but a few ex-players and coaches threw him under the bus for easy headlines. Hopefully when I am finished playing I can get paid to come out with crap as that seems like the thing to do.

Bang on, to be fair. The UK rugby press is pretty poor in general and ex-players of many generations add very little to it with a few notable exceptions (Healy on one of the days he can be arsed to analyse stuff on BT).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:13 pm 

sockwithaticket wrote:
45jumper wrote:

Quote:

Bang on, to be fair. The UK rugby press is pretty poor in general and ex-players of many generations add very little to it with a few notable exceptions (Healy on one of the days he can be arsed to analyse stuff on BT).

That’s true but also isn't all down to the ex players, the number of articles a sporting editor is willing to green light that includes the words Kelly Brook dramatically exceeds the number they want with rugby analysis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:18 pm 

piquant wrote:

That’s true but also isn't all down to the ex players, the number of articles a sporting editor is willing to green light that includes the words Kelly Brook dramatically exceeds the number they want with rugby analysis

Sound like bollocks really. Can't imagine there have been too many Kelly Brook mentions in the back pages recently.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:25 pm 

Articles from broadsheet rugby journos seem to get approved regardless of their worth without any mention of Miss Brook.

Ex-players don't seem to be edited in the slightest so long as they hit the word count for their column.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:28 pm 

Margin_Walker wrote:
piquant wrote:

Sound like bollocks really. Can't imagine there have been too many Kelly Brook mentions in the back pages recently.

Even the times mentioned and pictured her in the piece they did on him last week.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:29 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:
piquant wrote:

Even the times mentioned and pictured her in the piece they did on him last week.

In the sports section?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:31 pm 

Margin_Walker wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:
piquant wrote:

In the sports section?

Yup

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:37 pm 

Okay that's one then.

Just googled Cipriani and Brook for the the last month and it's tabloid celeb stuff rather than sports reporting.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:23 pm 

Newcastle Falcons’ prop Scott Wilson has been forced to retire at 24 due to a neck injury: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/45296349

Real shame. He was tipped for big things as a teenager and never really got a decent injury-free run.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:56 pm 

Anyone know where I can watch Saints v Glasgow tonight?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:28 pm 

Angry_Bull wrote:
Anyone know where I can watch Saints v Glasgow tonight?

Still up on YT https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFBDjhvMOtI

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:00 pm 

Fairly strong Wasps side gave Ulster a beating, 31 -14 with Hughes grabbing a hat trick. Not sure as to Ulster's strength, recognised some names and not others, but it's not a bad result. Imagine there were some words for Marty Moore upon his return.

Line-Ups:
Wasps: Rob Miller; Christian Wade, Elliot Daly, Juan De Jongh, Josh Bassett; Billy Searle, Dan Robson; Ben Harris, Tom Cruse, Kieran Brookes; Joe Launchbury ©, Will Rowlands; Nizaam Carr, Joe Atkinson, Nathan Hughes.

Replacements: Tommy Taylor, Zurabi Zhvania, Will Stuart, James Gaskell, Charlie Matthews, Ashley Johnson, Thomas Young, Craig Hampson, Michael Le Bourgeois, Gaby Lovobalavu, Marcus Watson.

Ulster:Will Addison; Craig Gilroy, Stewart Moore, Stuart McCloskey, Angus Kernohan; Johnny McPhillips, Jonny Stewart; Eric O'Sullivan, John Andrew, Marty Moore; Alan O'Connor ©, Kieran Treadwell; Marcell Coetzee, Sean Reidy, Nick Timoney.

Replacements:Adam McBurney, Andrew Warwick, Tom O'Toole, Alex Thompson, Caleb Montgomery, David Shanahan, Angus Curtis, Darren Cave, Greg Jones, Chris Henry, Jack Owens.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:15 pm 

Bath also downed Scarlets 45-12 at the Rec, Joe Cockanasiga scored two beauties. Scarlets looked very out of sorts compared to the last time they were here; got bullied up-front and lots of handling errors.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:48 am 

sockwithaticket wrote:
Fairly strong Wasps side gave Ulster a beating, 31 -14 with Hughes grabbing a hat trick. Not sure as to Ulster's strength, recognised some names and not others, but it's not a bad result. Imagine there were some words for Marty Moore upon his return.

Line-Ups:
Wasps: Rob Miller; Christian Wade, Elliot Daly, Juan De Jongh, Josh Bassett; Billy Searle, Dan Robson; Ben Harris, Tom Cruse, Kieran Brookes; Joe Launchbury ©, Will Rowlands; Nizaam Carr, Joe Atkinson, Nathan Hughes.

Replacements: Tommy Taylor, Zurabi Zhvania, Will Stuart, James Gaskell, Charlie Matthews, Ashley Johnson, Thomas Young, Craig Hampson, Michael Le Bourgeois, Gaby Lovobalavu, Marcus Watson.

Thought he was in trouble following a drugs test?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:14 am 

SaintK wrote:
sockwithaticket wrote:

Line-Ups:

Thought he was in trouble following a drugs test?

I thin they accepted it was diet pills or something :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:26 am 

They backdated the ban or something like that

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:44 am 

Scrumhead wrote:
They backdated the ban or something like that

Covering a period he actually played several games...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:46 am 

Quote:
At a hearing conducted by the independent national anti-doping panel, the long-serving forward advised he mistakenly took his wife’s fat burner ‘the Secret’ rather than his own legitimate supplement ‘Nutrilean.’

Having considered various submissions, the hearing concluded that Johnson acted without intent.

It therefore found there was “no significant fault or negligence” on his part and decided six months to be an appropriate period of ineligibility.

Due to the player’s timely admission and his conduct during the investigation, it was deemed that the ban should be backdated to February 7, making him eligible again from August 6 2018.
Under World Rugby regulation 21.10.12.2 Johnson is permitted to fully resume training with his club with immediate effect.

https://www.wasps.co.uk/news/wasps-statement-regarding-ashley-johnson/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:51 am 

If his aim was weight loss it doesn’t seem to have been that effective ...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:57 am 

We may have to go back to Trevor Leota tactics and basically hire someone to follow Ashley around smacking junk food out of his hands. Heard tell a couple of season ago that he arrived for pre-season an absolute mess and Dai was not impressed in the least.

He's not the only player I've heard that about over the years (weepu springs to mind) and find it really surprising that pro-athletes can be that careless about what enables them to earn their pretty decent living, i.e. their body.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:27 am 

It's going to be hard for some people to take Dai seriously if he criticises fitness levels

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:31 am 

Quins have signed Semi Kunatani from Toulouse: https://www.quins.co.uk/news/fijian-oly ... arlequins/

Bit of a gamble given his limited experience in 15s, but has the potential to be a very exciting signing.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:22 am 

piquant wrote:
It's going to be hard for some people to take Dai seriously if he criticises fitness levels

Maybe... But he can just ask Dan Baugh to have a word and he's built like a brick shithouse.

Ashley Johnson accidentally took his wife's diet pill. That pill shouldn't have been a problem, however it has an unlisted diuretic in it that they only discovered when sent for testing. They gave access to their bank accounts so I guess it's provable she bought them, and the chances of them happening to contain (unlisted on ingredients) the exact thing found in his blood samples is surely so slim that it makes his case very believable in my mind.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:15 pm 

Raggs wrote:
piquant wrote:

Maybe... But he can just ask Dan Baugh to have a word and he's built like a brick shithouse.

Lots of players will have more than enough self drive, many more will take their lead from a Dan Baugh, but some are going to look to/at the boss and make an improvement or not

I don't see AJ being that key for Wasps this season absent of them having problems getting a side out

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:49 pm 

piquant wrote:
Raggs wrote:
piquant wrote:

Lots of players will have more than enough self drive, many more will take their lead from a Dan Baugh, but some are going to look to/at the boss and make an improvement or not

I don't see AJ being that key for Wasps this season absent of them having problems getting a side out

Since we start the season with some unproven Championship lads plus Rieder and Willis injured ong terms we're only a couple of inuries in the backrow and one at hooker away from him being an absolute necessity.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:14 pm 

sockwithaticket wrote:
Quote:
At a hearing conducted by the independent national anti-doping panel, the long-serving forward advised he mistakenly took his wife’s fat burner ‘the Secret’ rather than his own legitimate supplement ‘Nutrilean.’

Having considered various submissions, the hearing concluded that Johnson acted without intent.

It therefore found there was “no significant fault or negligence” on his part and decided six months to be an appropriate period of ineligibility.

Due to the player’s timely admission and his conduct during the investigation, it was deemed that the ban should be backdated to February 7, making him eligible again from August 6 2018.
Under World Rugby regulation 21.10.12.2 Johnson is permitted to fully resume training with his club with immediate effect.

https://www.wasps.co.uk/news/wasps-statement-regarding-ashley-johnson/

Blimey! Silly but lucky boy by the sounds of it?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78619 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1761, 1762, 1763, 1764, 1765, 1766, 1767 ... 1966  Next