Chat Forum
It is currently Sun May 26, 2019 10:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78365 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1774, 1775, 1776, 1777, 1778, 1779, 1780 ... 1960  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:53 pm 

I mean, the bigger joke is that Nathan Earle was named in the original squad ahead of guys like Yarde, Roko, Wade etc

now I don't really care who gets named on the wing that much, it's hardly where the game is won and lost, but another shining example of "picking players on form" :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:59 pm 

As scatter-gun as some of the peripheral selections (read never going to be used) are, I think Olowofela has huge potential. Incredibly balanced and fast.

Hope he gets some decent gametime for Tigers this season.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:46 pm 

Are we really expressing surprise that Eddie talks bollocks to the press?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:55 pm 

Margin_Walker wrote:
As scatter-gun as some of the peripheral selections (read never going to be used) are, I think Olowofela has huge potential. Incredibly balanced and fast.

He absolutely does and looked a class above in the U20s, but we're a year out from a World Cup, is he realistically going to come sufficiently good to be a viable option for that squad or even be pushing the starters hard enough to up their games? I don't think so, but would be happy to be proven wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:57 pm 

openclashXX wrote:
I mean, the bigger joke is that Nathan Earle was named in the original squad ahead of guys like Yarde, Roko, Wade etc

now I don't really care who gets named on the wing that much, it's hardly where the game is won and lost, but another shining example of "picking players on form" :roll:

Yes, Earle... try as I might I simply cannot fathom why.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:04 pm 

sockwithaticket wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:

He absolutely does and looked a class above in the U20s, but we're a year out from a World Cup, is he realistically going to come sufficiently good to be a viable option for that squad or even be pushing the starters hard enough to up their games? I don't think so, but would be happy to be proven wrong.

It's pretty unlikely.

His wing picks tend to be his 1st to 3/4th choice guys then the best 19/20 year old he wants to take a look at (albeit I guess he's actually in as centre cover here technically). Must be beyond infuriating for Wade, Yarde, Lewington etc. Guess he's made the call that they are unlikely to ever be his guys.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:27 pm 

Can wendigo or a mod please change the OP.

It certainly doesn't reflect my mood nowadays.

I accidentally got sent to it during a whiteout and it angered me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:00 am 

Sorry if already posted but Steve Diamond gets both barrels in this:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rug ... 51131.html

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:08 am 

tc27 wrote:

It's been suggested for a while that Diamond has done all he can with Sale and it looks like this season will be one too far for him. There's a good squad there and an outstanding backline, but they're performing as less than the sum of their parts and responsibility for that has to be on Dimes.

Wouldn't be surprising to see him out, Deacon temporary DoR and someone signed to take over from next season, in a few matches time.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:13 am 

Sale look the big disappointment of the season so far - Dimes can moan all he wants about how much money he has vs the rest but his squad is good enough to be doing better

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:22 am 

crash 669 wrote:
tc27 wrote:

It's been suggested for a while that Diamond has done all he can with Sale and it looks like this season will be one too far for him. There's a good squad there and an outstanding backline, but they're performing as less than the sum of their parts and responsibility for that has to be on Dimes.

Wouldn't be surprising to see him out, Deacon temporary DoR and someone signed to take over from next season, in a few matches time.

Rumours on the Sale board that there's a meeting today and at least one of the coaches is going to go.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:40 am 

tc27 wrote:

He's always come off as unpleasant, but if his comments in that article about hs injured players are 100% correct then he's an horrible plum and I can't imagine actually wanting to play for him if I were in the Sale squad.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:49 am 

Brazil wrote:
crash 669 wrote:
tc27 wrote:

Rumours on the Sale board that there's a meeting today and at least one of the coaches is going to go.

Wouldn't be heartbroken if it was Dimes as long as they've got someone to replace him. Of course it's complicated by him being on the board, so I don't know how they get around him voting to keep his own job.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:00 pm 

also from an England squad point of view, Ben Youngs pulling out injured (with no replacement announced) leaves us with two 9s - Care and Robson

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:04 pm 

openclashXX wrote:
Sale look the big disappointment of the season so far - Dimes can moan all he wants about how much money he has vs the rest but his squad is good enough to be doing better

He can't moan about money any more, they have the cash, and have for a couple of seasons. People aren't in a hurry to sign for them, and it's an issue. Still playing Harrison for 80 a game basically.

He has a tiny squad, but that's on him.

I think he's a good coach for a poor team, he'll get a lot of small resources, but with better resources, I don't think he's the man to hit the top.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:07 pm 

Raggs wrote:
openclashXX wrote:

He can't moan about money any more, they have the cash, and have for a couple of seasons. People aren't in a hurry to sign for them, and it's an issue. Still playing Harrison for 80 a game basically.

I think he's a good coach for a poor team, he'll get a lot of small resources, but with better resources, I don't think he's the man to hit the top.

That we have such a small squad smacks of stubborness on Dimes' part, as does the insistence on chasing big names rather than building depth. We look pretty screwed at the moment, because for all that we've got some exceptional backs to come back, we're still hugely underpowered up front and it'll only get worse as players break. I can't imagine Simon Orange is particularly happy at the moment, but that may work out in our favour in the long term if he frees up some cash/kicks some arses.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:12 pm 

Brazil wrote:
Raggs wrote:
openclashXX wrote:

That we have such a small squad smacks of stubborness on Dimes' part, as does the insistence on chasing big names rather than building depth. We look pretty screwed at the moment, because for all that we've got some exceptional backs to come back, we're still hugely underpowered up front and it'll only get worse as players break. I can't imagine Simon Orange is particularly happy at the moment, but that may work out in our favour in the long term if he frees up some cash/kicks some arses.

From the names that Sale have been linked to, and names they've brought in, I don't think cash is the issue. I'm very pleased with Wasps recruitment this season so far, we've moved on quickly to secure a good 10, rather than waiting on Cips to make his mind up, then grabbed a load of promising championship/youngsters.

Out of a morbid sense of curiosity, who would Sale be lining up if they lost their 3 first choice looseheads and 1st choice tighthead?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:36 pm 

tc27 wrote:

Diamond rightfully gets it in that article but the writer seems a bit petty and motivated because of petty things. Complaining about not having Wifi?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:54 pm 

Raggs wrote:
From the names that Sale have been linked to, and names they've brought in, I don't think cash is the issue. I'm very pleased with Wasps recruitment this season so far, we've moved on quickly to secure a good 10, rather than waiting on Cips to make his mind up, then grabbed a load of promising championship/youngsters.

Out of a morbid sense of curiosity, who would Sale be lining up if they lost their 3 first choice looseheads and 1st choice tighthead?

Thoughts on some of the newbs so far? I see Le Bourgeois started and (I think) finished the recent match.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:02 pm 

Nieghorn wrote:
Raggs wrote:

Thoughts on some of the newbs so far? I see Le Bourgeois started and (I think) finished the recent match.

Le Bourgeois looked to struggle with the pace in his first game last week, but looked far more accomplished this time round. Atkinson at flanker did well enough, nothing special. ZZ looks like he'll be a good fixture in the 23. Brookes has looked good, but Stuart is really impressing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:12 pm 

Raggs wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:
Raggs wrote:

Le Bourgeois looked to struggle with the pace in his first game last week, but looked far more accomplished this time round. Atkinson at flanker did well enough, nothing special. ZZ looks like he'll be a good fixture in the 23. Brookes has looked good, but Stuart is really impressing.

I wasn't impressed with Le Bourgeois against Leicester, but yet to watch this week's game. Agree with the off the pace assesment. From memory, the most noticeable moment was for Veanu's try. He was slow getting back into the defensive line and Ford attacked him as he was turning, creating the original break.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:36 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
Personal form != team form

(even though he blatantly isn't picking on personal form anyway)

Generally it's worth ignoring anything Andy Goode says

But you agree with him.

It should be obvious the team on top has more than 3 players on better form then a team struggling at the bottom. While personal form isn't exactly team form,the stat just illustrates the ridiculous claim it as picked on form.

Where on earth does it say I agree with him?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:28 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
tc27 wrote:

Diamond rightfully gets it in that article but the writer seems a bit petty and motivated because of petty things. Complaining about not having Wifi?

Id say an inside source provided some of those anecdotes. Always thought that Diamond didn't have an ounce of humility & this seems to support that observation.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:30 pm 

JM2K6 wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:

But you agree with him.

It should be obvious the team on top has more than 3 players on better form then a team struggling at the bottom. While personal form isn't exactly team form,the stat just illustrates the ridiculous claim it as picked on form.

"even though he blatantly isn't picking on personal form anyway"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:38 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:

But you agree with him.

Goode's point is regarding team form, which is mostly irrelevant. He said a stupid thing. Again.

It's very very easy to successfully argue that Eddie isn't picking on form. Goode managed to fudge that up, because he's a bit of a muppet.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:38 pm 

If you think you can infer Foodey's point from his original tweet then you're a mind-readerier man than I (@ eldan)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:41 pm 

Chuckles1188 wrote:
If you think you can infer Foodey's point from his original tweet then you're a mind-readerier man than I (@ eldan)

Don't encourage him FFS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:53 pm 

Raggs wrote:
Brazil wrote:

Christ knows. I'm not even exaggerating either :lol:
Avoided this board as Sale's start to the season has really dragged me down. We have the same failings as we've had for years, but the strengths aren't there at the moment. Dimes' complete pig-headedness about not singing depth players is infuriating. Harrison is being run into the ground. He's potentially international quality but the poor sod never, ever, gets a break and there doesn't seem to be anyone else coming in either. I said before the season started that he might have taken us as far as he can and it looks as though it's true. The faults in the squad were there for all to see in pre-season, but he's not even bothered to try and solve them. As you say he's got the cash now, he's just being stubborn about who he tries to sign. Who cares if we have an all-star backline if we can't give them any decent ball in the first place? :(

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:57 pm 

45jumper wrote:
Raggs wrote:
Brazil wrote:

Christ knows. I'm not even exaggerating either :lol:
Avoided this board as Sale's start to the season has really dragged me down. We have the same failings as we've had for years, but the strengths aren't there at the moment. Dimes' complete pig-headedness about not singing depth players is infuriating. Harrison is being run into the ground. He's potentially international quality but the poor sod never, ever, gets a break and there doesn't seem to be anyone else coming in either. I said before the season started that he might have taken us as far as he can and it looks as though it's true. The faults in the squad were there for all to see in pre-season, but he's not even bothered to try and solve them. As you say he's got the cash now, he's just being stubborn about who he tries to sign. Who cares if we have an all-star backline if we can't give them any decent ball in the first place? :(

1. Jake Pope (?)
3. Joe Jones

I think those would be the only available options if they were without Harrison, John, Tarus and Flynn.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:04 pm 

openclashXX wrote:
also from an England squad point of view, Ben Youngs pulling out injured (with no replacement announced) leaves us with two 9s - Care and Robson

Gives them time to get used to the only two fly-halves in the squad, I suppose....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:35 pm 

JM2K6 wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:

But you agree with him.

Goode's point is regarding team form, which is mostly irrelevant. He said a stupid thing. Again.

It's very very easy to successfully argue that Eddie isn't picking on form. Goode managed to fudge that up, because he's a bit of a muppet.

The team form is largely dependent on the individuals who play for them. They aren't some unconnected variables here. It's not absolute, but the tweet clearly does illustrate the case. It doesn't have to be a perfect, technical match to do so.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:32 pm 

No, it's a very loose connection at best. Rugby is a team game and teams can be performing poorly while having their best individuals playing well; other teams can be playing well as a unit without everyone being on their best form or even showing international quality.

In this case, it's so trivially easy to prove Eddie wrong that it takes genuine effort to screw up, which is what Goode did.

Advocating for picking only from the form teams is effectively what Goode is doing, and it's stupid.

Wasps are third, should we be demanding Wade or Bassett for England? Should Gareth Steenson be England's starting 10?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:40 pm 

JM2K6 wrote:

Wasps are third, should we be demanding Wade or Bassett for England? Should Gareth Steenson be England's starting 10?

Wade already has England caps and scores tries by the bucketload, lumping him in with Bassett or Steenson is unfair

Especially when blokes that have done nothing to justify their picks like Nathan Earle are in the squad

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:46 pm 

Which Deacon at Sale? (I assume not the obvious one)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:14 pm 

Are we all enthused by the new England white noise shirt, festooned in Crosses of St George and featuring anti-neck pump features?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:18 pm 

The Man Without Fear wrote:
Are we all enthused by the new England white noise shirt, festooned in Crosses of St George and featuring anti-neck pump features?

Wut?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:19 pm 

openclashXX wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:

Wade already has England caps and scores tries by the bucketload, lumping him in with Bassett or Steenson is unfair

Especially when blokes that have done nothing to justify their picks like Nathan Earle are in the squad

Think that's harsh on Bassett who also has a very healthy scoring record and would warrant a squad place ahead of Earle.

(I'd also take him ahead of Yarde or Solomona as he's a more complete player than either imo, but that's probably Wasps bias.)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:35 pm 

Portcullis Irish wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
tc27 wrote:

Id say an inside source provided some of those anecdotes. Always thought that Diamond didn't have an ounce of humility & this seems to support that observation.

So, are Sale destined for the drop?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:34 pm 

Still too early to say really, but if they don't pick up soon they could well be in the bottom 3 danger zone for the season.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:51 pm 

sockwithaticket wrote:
openclashXX wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:

Think that's harsh on Bassett who also has a very healthy scoring record and would warrant a squad place ahead of Earle.

(I'd also take him ahead of Yarde or Solomona as he's a more complete player than either imo, but that's probably Wasps bias.)

It's not harsh at all. They're all really good club players with fairly big weaknesses. As an aside I don't think Wade is close to being as good as he was a couple of years ago, and his single England cap isn't exactly countering my point. He's a liability as much as a try scorer. Both he and Bassett are great going forward at times, though.

Not sure why Earle is in the squad though I've been pretty happy with what I've seen from him from a club perspective. There's plenty of puzzling picks.

Slightly facetious edit: Wade has scored 0 tries in 4 matches, so picking him would be going against form...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78365 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1774, 1775, 1776, 1777, 1778, 1779, 1780 ... 1960  Next