Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:57 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73927 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1774, 1775, 1776, 1777, 1778, 1779, 1780 ... 1849  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:50 pm 

first kick at goal of the season, really :lol: amazing stat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:57 pm 

polyallstar wrote:
Falcons getting shafted by the ref here imo, just ignoring offside calls from the TJ ffs

Scrums a joke too...

This needs to change in the game. You call them 'assistant refs' now, use them as such. Screw materiality or whatever other bias you have and trust your ref teammates. If you think he's wrong, a quick veto on the mic will do. "Nah, mate. Saw that and it was fine."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:14 pm 

:lol: :lol: flood

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:15 pm 

Ah good now a weak yellow card...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:22 pm 

polyallstar wrote:

Hardly weak, Falcons have given away a ton of pens, especially in the red zone.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:35 pm 

Raggs wrote:
polyallstar wrote:

Hardly weak, Falcons have given away a ton of pens, especially in the red zone.

The pen count on the yellow card was 8-7...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:56 pm 

Jackson was dreadful tonight. Didn't reward either side at the breakdown, and so inconsistent with his calls.
Deano crying at the end is a bit rich. Clearest of yellow cards with those collapsed mauls, and probably pen try too.

Don't think either side will be impressed by his performance :thumbdown:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:57 pm 

was listening to the Rugby Pod discussion on the England back row selection - was interesting

they reckon Curry is a lock-in at 7, Billy V (if fit) clearly the 8

so the only meaningful debate is around 6 - Ben Kay was after a Lawes/Itoje type player to add a lineout option (which sort of makes sense given both the other back rowers are not particularly useful there), but clearly both have been much worse at 6 than at second row. suppose if that's the style of 6 we want then Rhodes could be useful given he's 6ft 5 and pretty useful as a jumper

Goode + Hamilton were pushing for Mercer at 6, potentially as a Tom Croft style blindside who could help England attack more in the wide channels

otherwise it'll be Robslow I guess

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:35 pm 

openclashXX wrote:
was listening to the Rugby Pod discussion on the England back row selection - was interesting

they reckon Curry is a lock-in at 7, Billy V (if fit) clearly the 8

so the only meaningful debate is around 6 - Ben Kay was after a Lawes/Itoje type player to add a lineout option (which sort of makes sense given both the other back rowers are not particularly useful there), but clearly both have been much worse at 6 than at second row. suppose if that's the style of 6 we want then Rhodes could be useful given he's 6ft 5 and pretty useful as a jumper

Goode + Hamilton were pushing for Mercer at 6, potentially as a Tom Croft style blindside who could help England attack more in the wide channels

otherwise it'll be Robslow I guess

Such a shame Willis got so badly injured as he looks the real deal.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:03 pm 

Is there any word on how his recovery is going? Remember reading he could be out for a year!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:55 pm 

Joost wrote:
Is there any word on how his recovery is going? Remember reading he could be out for a year!

Live Fast was saying he was recovering a bit better than expected but it's still not going to be until 2019, and not early 2019 either

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:20 pm 

That seems a harsh card against Marler, IMO. Penalty was more than enough. Didn't seem dirty at all.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:41 pm 

Shields was handy in the lineout in SA.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:06 pm 

Good point

Quote:

Andy Goode@AndyGoode10

So Eddie Jones has said the @EnglandRugby squad is picked on form....

@ExeterChiefs P4 W4 L0
3 players selected

@Harlequins P4 W1 L3
6 players selected

Do the Maths......?! 🤔

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:16 pm 

Personal form != team form

(even though he blatantly isn't picking on personal form anyway)

Generally it's worth ignoring anything Andy Goode says

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:01 pm 

Wuss beats Tigers 44-37!

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/45566521

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:24 pm 

Nieghorn wrote:

Bit disappointed we didn’t really put Tigers to the sword but will take the win. Up to 9th now. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:41 pm 

JM2K6 wrote:

But you agree with him.

It should be obvious the team on top has more than 3 players on better form then a team struggling at the bottom. While personal form isn't exactly team form,the stat just illustrates the ridiculous claim it as picked on form.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:45 pm 

you'll be pleased to read the following then:

Quote:
Joe Marler has withdrawn from the England men’s training squad for personal reasons.

The prop has been replaced in the squad, that is meeting in Bristol this week, by Exeter Chiefs’ Ben Moon.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:48 pm 

openclashXX wrote:

Quote:
Joe Marler has withdrawn from the England men’s training squad for personal reasons.

The prop has been replaced in the squad, that is meeting in Bristol this week, by Exeter Chiefs’ Ben Moon.

Ironically Marler is one of the Quins who should be in the squad :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:51 pm 

JM2K6 wrote:

Whilst I generally agree with you about Foode, you have to look at selections like Brad Shields. Clearly the weak link in the Canes back row last season behind Ardie Sevia and Gareth Evans, who was outstanding, how can anyone seriously consider him to be more worthy of a place in the squad than Don Armand ? Armand is a good lineout option and is one of the few players who can play right across the row adequately ! Oh , and Shields hasn't played because he's injured !

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:54 pm 

to be fair, Quins haven't made the play-offs since 2014 but that core group of England players (Brown, Care, Robshaw, Marler) have been mainstays of the England squads regardless - and I don't expect any of them to be dropped regardless of how Quins go

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:38 pm 

openclashXX wrote:
to be fair, Quins haven't made the play-offs since 2014 but that core group of England players (Brown, Care, Robshaw, Marler) have been mainstays of the England squads regardless - and I don't expect any of them to be dropped regardless of how Quins go

I agree and don't have a problem. It's the "picked on form" comment I am ripping. As it is clearly not true.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:58 pm 

openclashXX wrote:

Quote:

Is Hepburn injured then or is this just Eddie being needlessly left field again?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:26 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
openclashXX wrote:

I agree and don't have a problem. It's the "picked on form" comment I am ripping. As it is clearly not true.

people are losing their heads over people like Cipriani being omitted because of this "picked on form" comment but this nonsensical selection policy has been the case since Eddie took the job

there's been countless examples of Jones claiming his selections/omissions are "on form" yet picking hoardes of U20 players (that tour to Argentina, for instance), guys that hadn't played a single game of Premiership rugby (Te'o, Francis, Shields etc), guys fresh from injury (Hughes, Billy V, Tuilagi), guys who are absolute toilet for their clubs (Hartley, the aforementioned Quins players), and so on

Eddie picks whoever he wants and to pretend as though all of them are "on form" is just a pisstake

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:31 pm 

also - Tuilagi broken, again

Quote:
Exeter Chiefs prop Ben Moon and Leicester Tigers full-back Jordan Olowofela have been called into the England training squad in Bristol for the camp that runs until Tuesday, September 25.

The 29-year-old prop replaces Joe Marler (Harlequins) who has withdrawn from the squad for personal reasons.

In addition, Nick Schonert (Worcester Warriors), Manu Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers) and Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers) have not joined up with the squad due to injury. Olowofela has been called up as a replacement for Tuilagi.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:36 pm 

Olowofela :lol:

What the fudge is the point in that? Bring someone like Lewington in if you absolutely have to involve an uncapped back three player.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:53 pm 

I mean, the bigger joke is that Nathan Earle was named in the original squad ahead of guys like Yarde, Roko, Wade etc

now I don't really care who gets named on the wing that much, it's hardly where the game is won and lost, but another shining example of "picking players on form" :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:59 pm 

As scatter-gun as some of the peripheral selections (read never going to be used) are, I think Olowofela has huge potential. Incredibly balanced and fast.

Hope he gets some decent gametime for Tigers this season.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:46 pm 

Are we really expressing surprise that Eddie talks bollocks to the press?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:55 pm 

Margin_Walker wrote:
As scatter-gun as some of the peripheral selections (read never going to be used) are, I think Olowofela has huge potential. Incredibly balanced and fast.

He absolutely does and looked a class above in the U20s, but we're a year out from a World Cup, is he realistically going to come sufficiently good to be a viable option for that squad or even be pushing the starters hard enough to up their games? I don't think so, but would be happy to be proven wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:57 pm 

openclashXX wrote:
I mean, the bigger joke is that Nathan Earle was named in the original squad ahead of guys like Yarde, Roko, Wade etc

now I don't really care who gets named on the wing that much, it's hardly where the game is won and lost, but another shining example of "picking players on form" :roll:

Yes, Earle... try as I might I simply cannot fathom why.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:04 pm 

sockwithaticket wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:

He absolutely does and looked a class above in the U20s, but we're a year out from a World Cup, is he realistically going to come sufficiently good to be a viable option for that squad or even be pushing the starters hard enough to up their games? I don't think so, but would be happy to be proven wrong.

It's pretty unlikely.

His wing picks tend to be his 1st to 3/4th choice guys then the best 19/20 year old he wants to take a look at (albeit I guess he's actually in as centre cover here technically). Must be beyond infuriating for Wade, Yarde, Lewington etc. Guess he's made the call that they are unlikely to ever be his guys.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:27 pm 

Can wendigo or a mod please change the OP.

It certainly doesn't reflect my mood nowadays.

I accidentally got sent to it during a whiteout and it angered me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:00 am 

Sorry if already posted but Steve Diamond gets both barrels in this:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rug ... 51131.html

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:08 am 

tc27 wrote:

It's been suggested for a while that Diamond has done all he can with Sale and it looks like this season will be one too far for him. There's a good squad there and an outstanding backline, but they're performing as less than the sum of their parts and responsibility for that has to be on Dimes.

Wouldn't be surprising to see him out, Deacon temporary DoR and someone signed to take over from next season, in a few matches time.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:13 am 

Sale look the big disappointment of the season so far - Dimes can moan all he wants about how much money he has vs the rest but his squad is good enough to be doing better

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:22 am 

crash 669 wrote:
tc27 wrote:

It's been suggested for a while that Diamond has done all he can with Sale and it looks like this season will be one too far for him. There's a good squad there and an outstanding backline, but they're performing as less than the sum of their parts and responsibility for that has to be on Dimes.

Wouldn't be surprising to see him out, Deacon temporary DoR and someone signed to take over from next season, in a few matches time.

Rumours on the Sale board that there's a meeting today and at least one of the coaches is going to go.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:40 am 

tc27 wrote:

He's always come off as unpleasant, but if his comments in that article about hs injured players are 100% correct then he's an horrible plum and I can't imagine actually wanting to play for him if I were in the Sale squad.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:49 am 

Brazil wrote:
crash 669 wrote:
tc27 wrote:

Rumours on the Sale board that there's a meeting today and at least one of the coaches is going to go.

Wouldn't be heartbroken if it was Dimes as long as they've got someone to replace him. Of course it's complicated by him being on the board, so I don't know how they get around him voting to keep his own job.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73927 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1774, 1775, 1776, 1777, 1778, 1779, 1780 ... 1849  Next